HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf for a Center?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Swervin81
Leafy McDreamy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarSaeed View Post
Most of the time I see a 2 on 2 rush with Phaneuf, he just goes for the big hit, misses, and then there's a 2 on 1 against us. That's why hes a defensive liability, that I feel should be traded.
Every single one of our "pylons" did that. When multiple d-men have that same habit, you blame the coach who teaches them that habit.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Still waiting to see some quotes from actual players...

Really hope you're not citing anyone that chooses to remain anonymous. Cause it wouldn't be the first time a reporter fabricated a source to stir the pot.

don't forget to backup this statement too:
as requested...

Quote:
On a weekend on which Sundin, Phaneuf’s predecessor as chief Leaf, was feted with separate receptions on Friday and Saturday night, at least three former players who attended the events say Phaneuf never showed up to pay his respects to Sundin.

“Dion’s absence was noted,” said one former player.

Another ex-NHLer, who pointed out that even members of the Canadiens made time to honour Sundin, guffawed at Phaneuf’s oversight.

“It’s a no-brainer: If you’re the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you go. Period,” said an ex-Leaf. “That’s part of learning what it’s like to be a captain. (Phaneuf) has a lot to learn.”

The former players asked not to be named because Phaneuf is seen as a golden boy by Brian Burke, the Leafs president and general manager, who despite his team’s epic free-fall through the standings remains an influential figure in NHL circles.
continuing.....

Quote:
As a leader, Phaneuf has, from the outside, appeared to be an ineffectual force, as powerless to stop a season’s death spiral as every other dismayed citizen of Leafs Nation. While NHLers are usually quick to praise teammates, the Leafs have danced around the subject of Phaneuf’s leadership at the best of times this season.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...eing-a-captain

im sure youll have some glowing praise of dion's leadership skills to show us... you know, given your emphasis on proof and all

in march brady said his sources were telling him one of schenn or phaneuf would be gone by next year due to their feud, listen to the first 20 mins (ps. i know its hard, brady is unlistenable)

call brady an idiot all you want, he was right though, schenn is gone

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/brady...am-hour%29.mp3

lets face it, we arent exactly talking about davey frickin keon or darryl sittler here are we?:

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
as requested...

"On a weekend on which Sundin, Phaneuf’s predecessor as chief Leaf, was feted with separate receptions on Friday and Saturday night, at least three former players who attended the events say Phaneuf never showed up to pay his respects to Sundin.

“Dion’s absence was noted,” said one former player.

Another ex-NHLer, who pointed out that even members of the Canadiens made time to honour Sundin, guffawed at Phaneuf’s oversight.

“It’s a no-brainer: If you’re the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you go. Period,” said an ex-Leaf. “That’s part of learning what it’s like to be a captain. (Phaneuf) has a lot to learn.”

The former players asked not to be named because Phaneuf is seen as a golden boy by Brian Burke, the Leafs president and general manager, who despite his team’s epic free-fall through the standings remains an influential figure in NHL circles.
"
Those are retired ex-NHLers attending a gala. Not former teammates or anyone who has any inside knowledge of the Leafs dressing room.

Quote:
You're using a FESCHUK article as proof? That guy is the new Howard Berger. Another pot-stirrer who only provides overly-negative articles to get page views. Nothing to see here, pure speculation.

Quote:
in march brady said his sources were telling him one of schenn or phaneuf would be gone by next year due to their feud, listen to the first 20 mins (ps. i know its hard, brady is unlistenable)

That's not proof at all. They may have not gotten along, which is completely unsubstantiated by the way, but Luke Schenn is gone because his brother plays for the Philadelphia Flyers and they were willing to part with a substantial, young top-6 forward to unite the two.

Quote:
lets face it, we arent exactly talking about davey frickin keon or darryl sittler here are we?:

Irrelevant.

That's the best you can do?

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Those are retired ex-NHLers attending a gala. Not former teammates or anyone who has any inside knowledge of the Leafs dressing room.

You're using a FESCHUK article as proof? That guy is the new Howard Berger. Another pot-stirrer who only provides overly-negative articles to get page views. Nothing to see here, pure speculation.

That's not proof at all. They may have not gotten along, which is completely unsubstantiated by the way, but Luke Schenn is gone because his brother plays for the Philadelphia Flyers and they were willing to part with a substantial, young top-6 forward to unite the two.

Irrelevant.
and in other news, the earth is flat

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
and in other news, the earth is flat
You continue to make little-to-no sense.

As you were...

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Get rid of him ASAP! I can't stand him, he's awful...

Phaneuf/Connolly...buh bye you guys blow.

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
as requested...

continuing.....

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...eing-a-captain

im sure youll have some glowing praise of dion's leadership skills to show us... you know, given your emphasis on proof and all

Listen to Keith Aulie interview after he was traded, on the fan590 as well......he mentioned voices off the ice.

Versteeg referenced it as well in an interview after being traded.

The Schenn Dion tiff never got better as well. I made mention of this before it aired on the fan 590. I mentioned this after Aulie got traded.

Last edited by diceman934: 07-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Swervin81
Leafy McDreamy

First of all, Phaneuf IS a locker room cancer. There's no denying what went on in Calgary and how some players here who were rumored as "feuding" are gone (i.e. Schenn, Versteeg).

He is a solid top pairing d-man who should improve under Carlyle's more defensive system. run and gun wasn't Dion's game, especially having to deal with nearly 30:00 of it a night.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
MakeTheIronSing

It's been stated a lot throughout Phaneuf's tenure in Toronto that the team has a much (MUCH) worse record without him than with.

I don't have the numbers on hand, but it has been stated a bunch. You can feel it when he's not in the lineup. Id say leave him, unless you can swing a deal for a 1st line center, then f it. He's an extremely capable defenseman who gets attention from the other team when he's on the ice because of his open ice hitting. Moderately ok leadership (although sometimes I think he isn't that great of a presence).

If it were me, I would much rather wait for the season to start, and if the special teams isn't what it should be (extremely solid on the PK and mid to upper mid on PP) than shake things up, aka Lupul Kessel Kadri Mac or Grabo is (possibly more) shipped out. Taking advantage of special teams play is what the leafs need. Its going to be the litmus for success I think.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote