HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price signed for 6 Years @ 6.5M Cap Hit

Old
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
windycity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Did a bit of research on Carey Price's season: In his 28 reg. losses, he had a 3.15 GAA, #Habs scored an average of 1.36 goals per game

They gave Price enough goal support, he should've stole more games
Well com'n, Habs gave up when they saw him giving up all those goals.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
It's hilarious how many fans from OTHER teams think it's a reasonable deal and yet here on the Montreal boards it's like a circus of people *****ing and moaning about being overpaid by maybe 500k~1m...

Who exactly does this team have if we let Price walk? We have NO goalies in the pipeline and just some average Joe goalie from UFA would not cut it with this team. We have very bad offensive output as well as our defense struggling, especially if Markov gets injured again or god forbid PK gets injured for the majority of the season... We'd be a bottom feeder team for years to come without Price.
A lot more Montreal fans hate Price than fans of opposing teams. Probably because some people aren't happy unless they can be negative, or ******** Halak fans.

He did get more money than I was expecting, but so what? The cap is increasing, contracts have gotten bigger, and he's an integral part of our team and one of the best goaltenders out there. ''Let him walk'' are you ****ing kidding me

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Todd is 100% correct on the Daigneault/Robinson thing. That's for sure.
like idiot Todd has any insight to what happened. He certainly doesn't offer any. The guy is a joke

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
like idiot Todd has any insight to what happened. He certainly doesn't offer any. The guy is a joke
No insight needed. Robinson was quoted the other day as being interested but MTL had already chosen JJ.

Hard to argue that we should have waited for Robinson.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:29 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Funny how fans of other teams opinions matter only when it's convenient. LOL.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:00 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Gill, Schmill. Molson, Schmolson.

I'll reiterate for you that I like Carey Price. BUT I don't like the contract. Hopefully it pans out.

Halak made some beauties against Pittsburgh too and I always thought Halak was better than Price seeing through traffic. It's been mentioned Price has won the Molson Cup but it's an award whereby only Canadian teams' players are given consideration. And IIRC Halak won it also. Price has been "voted" into the All Star Game. I've never been enamored with the ASG - any All Star Game - NBA, MLB, whatever.

In summary I just don't see where he's quite "earned" his contract. And again I like Price and hope it works out for all concerned parties. I've enjoyed watching Price mature and I hope his maturity continues because he may need it.
I brought up the Molson cup because you (or someone else, I don't even know anymore) hinted at the idea that Price might be getting insulated by a good team (lol) and/or a good system (lololol). The numerous consecutive Molson cups awarded to Price pretty much prove that's not the case.

Like someone else in this thread said, a contract isn't really. Given his talent, trajectory, and the role they want him to play, they had no choice but to give him that money and that term.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Fans from other teams always bash the Habs every chance they get and yet they seem to think this contract is reasonable... That says something to me in my opinion...

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Every fan base is more levelheaded than Montreal's (except Bruins fans who think they don't ice a dirty team)

They can see him for what he is and have the clear enough state of mind to realize not every goalie can be Patrick Roy.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
dustyrockon

"It kind of made sense to me," Price said on a conference call from Williams Lake, B.C. "It will take me to until I'm 30 years old and generally that's about the peak of goaltenders, so I'm hoping by then to have a couple of Stanley Cups and have a good re-negotiation when I'm 30."

Dont know if anyone saw this article yet. But that clip made me smile!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399787

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Max et Guillaume

Haven't read the last few pages of this non-sense thread, and even I will admit the salary is a bit too high (and I'm a HUGE fan of Price, but I think the 5.75 range would've been ideal), but has anyone come up with a solution?

If we offered less and they said no, we want 6.5, then what? Sign him for 2 yrs, piss him off and lose him as a UFA? Make a 3 way trade involving Luongo? Has anyone actually come up with a decent solution, or is it just blind bashing/whining as usual?

Bottom line is, we overpaid by .5M or so on a 70M cap, where a 6.5M salary in 2 years will be average at best for a top goalie... is it ideal? No. Should we throw a mindless tantrum? No...

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
LaTenderness

Montreal couldn't of picked a better pony to hitch the wagon to.

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Subban76

Good contract. Fair deal. Over priced first 2 years, proper price next 2, and under priced last 2. The cap will keep going up.

Glad to have this guy on board for the next 6 years.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Haven't read the last few pages of this non-sense thread, and even I will admit the salary is a bit too high (and I'm a HUGE fan of Price, but I think the 5.75 range would've been ideal), but has anyone come up with a solution?

If we offered less and they said no, we want 6.5, then what? Sign him for 2 yrs, piss him off and lose him as a UFA? Make a 3 way trade involving Luongo? Has anyone actually come up with a decent solution, or is it just blind bashing/whining as usual?

Bottom line is, we overpaid by .5M or so on a 70M cap, where a 6.5M salary in 2 years will be average at best for a top goalie... is it ideal? No. Should we throw a mindless tantrum? No...
Exactly. People who were expecting and/or believe he should have gotten less really don't seem to understand how this free agency thing works. There are more factors in play when signing Price than how many playoff series' he's won.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
nhlfan9191

Carey of 2009 better not show up in the next 6 years.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Carey of 2009 better not show up in the next 6 years.
I know we're not supposed to reply with just emoticons but....

Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

hey...hawks fan in peace. do you guys think he'd be ready to take on a 1st goalie role for team canada in sochi? meaning...assuming we need an upgrade on luongo or fleury do you think he'd be ready to go?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:52 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
hey...hawks fan in peace. do you guys think he'd be ready to take on a 1st goalie role for team canada in sochi? meaning...assuming we need an upgrade on luongo or fleury do you think he'd be ready to go?
I'm hoping so. But I think that they will give M-A Fleury all the chances to succed and will have Cam Ward right behind him. Carey should be #1 or #2 if you ask me, but hes going to have to work for it and prove himself worthy. Also depends who the coach is.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:58 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I'm hoping so. But I think that they will give M-A Fleury all the chances to succed and will have Cam Ward right behind him. Carey should be #1 or #2 if you ask me, but hes going to have to work for it and prove himself worthy. Also depends who the coach is.

i really hope price proves himself!!

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
I brought up the Molson cup because you (or someone else, I don't even know anymore) hinted at the idea that Price might be getting insulated by a good team (lol) and/or a good system (lololol). The numerous consecutive Molson cups awarded to Price pretty much prove that's not the case.

Like someone else in this thread said, a contract isn't really. Given his talent, trajectory, and the role they want him to play, they had no choice but to give him that money and that term.
Isn't that the argument being presented in the case against Halak? That his stats were inflated thanks to Martin's system that limited the number of quality shots?

Why is it fair to use it there but here?

That being said and after going through all the posts in this thread I still say the situation was best surmised by Whitsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I guess it's a fine deal. Yet, that price is mostly build on expectations and potential. Nothing has still been really proven in the playoffs. Yes, he didn't have a good team in front of him. Whether the reasons are, the proof is still not done whether we like it or not. But again, it's all about projecting.

But we didn't have any choice. He was put on a pedestal since he came here. Everybody was pushed aside for him. He always had the upper hand. And we're seeing it now.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Well com'n, Habs gave up when they saw him giving up all those goals.
you made me laugh

as a price hater, you're doing well.
with the wins, it is all about the defense? or he does deserve some credits?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
goldglove

the only reason the habs finished last is because of the powerplay

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
the only reason the habs finished last is because of the powerplay
+Gionta and Markov injuries.

Cole and Max played with DD almost all season long.. with Gionta missing more than half a season, there's was no wingers for Plekanec.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
FrankMTL

With a 70 million dollar cap, I see no problem in signing Price to this deal. Suter just got 98 million for 13 years for cripes sake. That's what happens when give a player a chance to go UFA at a young age.

For all those of you *****ing about how we could have kept Halak for less, only once in his career has he played over 50 regular season games (played 57 in 2010-2011) and before Hitchock got there, his stats weren't the greatest.

For sure 6.5 million is a lot of money, but that's what the market is at the moment for a young talented starting goalie that already has 4 seasons under his belt and will get better with age. Most contracts in the NHL are based off potential anyways, so why should this be any different. Why should our players always be signed at hometown discounts and when they're not, its considered that they're overpaid. Carey could have signed a short contract and then split to another city, but after all he's been through in the city, he decided to sign for another 6 years.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post

5.75 would have been ideal, but you have to look at the reality of the market. With Quebec's higher taxes, you always have to up the ante. Everyone gets screwed, employers, locals, fans with higher Tix, it's a trickle down rear-ender.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:22 PM
MTL-rules

Should have been 13 years and 98 millions...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote