HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Johnson signs 4 years $3.75M AAV

Old
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 500
me happy

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Al doesn't have that much interesting stuff to say about the broncos, but he usually has interesting things to say about the buffs. I can't say he's that good, but I like him.
I enjoy Al. I pretty much never ever agree with him but he's entertaining

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Any lightning? Lightning storms are probably the only storms I won't play in.
Yeah a bit, that's why we had to stop.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

what I learned from the main board: EJ sucks because he only signed for $3.75M a year

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
what I learned from the main board: EJ sucks because he only signed for $3.75M a year
...and that 3.75 means that he's only a second pair Dman

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
I present some of the beauties found in the comment section of nhl.com. All on the EJ article btw:

Quote:
Shattenkirk is still better...
Quote:
Remember, TSN is the place to go for breaking news on trades and free agent signings.
Hockey is Canada's game!
Quote:
Sakic needs to retire soon...
*my personal favourite

Quote:
3.75 wow lots of crazy salary signings lately johnsons worth 2.75 tops avs fans will disagree
Quote:
washington should get parise because they got rid of semin
Quote:
Lotsa money for an average d-man. Good luck
Quote:
So far the worst first overall pick of this century after Rick Di Pietro.
Quote:
he has been a bust for the most part. He was highly touted and I think the Avalanche should have kept Stuart and his toughness. I think the Blues made out like bandits on that trade.
Quote:
Shame, it is official
Quote:
mmmkay, moving on to trading for Bobby Ryan or Signing Alex Semin....
Quote:
Parise to Pittsburgh.
Quote:
ok time for parise to sign with pittsburgh already....

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
chewey
dmitri

23 and no Norris? Bust.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Drury_Sakic

All due credit to Sherman, but I wonder if Sakic is also sitting across the table when these RFA deals get signed and the young guys get a bit star struck and have a harder time playing hard ball and asking for big bucks.

The same could be said for the PA signing. We know he got a early call from Sakic and then proceeded to sign what was a really solid contract for a UFA.

The only somewhat questionable contracts we have seen from Sherman have been on older guys who might not be as big of hero worshipers as the younger guys.

I mean, if I was a 20 something player sitting down at a table with Sakic across the way, I would have a hard time playing the FU card and walking out like it probably takes some times for the younger guys to get the bigger deals.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
All due credit to Sherman, but I wonder if Sakic is also sitting across the table when these RFA deals get signed and the young guys get a bit star struck and have a harder time playing hard ball and asking for big bucks.

The same could be said for the PA signing. We know he got a early call from Sakic and then proceeded to sign what was a really solid contract for a UFA.

The only somewhat questionable contracts we have seen from Sherman have been on older guys who might not be as big of hero worshipers as the younger guys.

I mean, if I was a 20 something player sitting down at a table with Sakic across the way, I would have a hard time playing the FU card and walking out like it probably takes some times for the younger guys to get the bigger deals.
lol you do realize that contract negotiations don't play out in person, right? It's not like EJ was chilling with Sherman discussing his options. It's all done through agents via cell phones and stuff. I don't even think players need to go to Colorado to sign the contracts (TPS could answer this).

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
lol you do realize that contract negotiations don't play out in person, right? It's not like EJ was chilling with Sherman discussing his options. It's all done through agents via cell phones and stuff. I don't even think players need to go to Colorado to sign the contracts (TPS could answer this).
I did not mean the litteral table completely....though I would imagine at some point Johnson was in the same room as them, either at the season exit interview or for some direct talks. The same concept applies though if its via e-mails or conference calls. Again, could you really just outright say screw-off to Sakic on the phone?

Yeah, some of it is done through the agents, but again, at SOME point Johnson had to have talked directly with management.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Sometimes they do, but that's usually only during the season for extensions when the opportunity to have all three parties arises. In the offseason, it's very rare. Wilson, for example, was told about his extension minutes after his agent ended a call with Sherman. He wasn't even involved in the process, just gave his okay that he wanted to stay. When it comes to free agency, an agent simply would not be able to have multiple clients if he had to meet in person all over the continent.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:

Doubt it. Contract talks are handled predominantly by agents. I doubt Joe has much impact on the price.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

EJ gets hated on because analysis acted like he was the second coming of al macinnis...

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
I present some of the beauties found in the comment section of nhl.com. All on the EJ article btw:

Remember, TSN is the place to go for breaking news on trades and free agent signings.
Hockey is Canada's game!
Ha, I think I know who that one was from.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Gabriel Landeskog

So happy Sherman is in charge after seeing signings like this.

Gabriel Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Pure

Awesome money, but I would have also given him a lot more years even if it meant a million more a year.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Elever
Hth

Man I just got reminded that Ty Rattie is the prospect which STL got with their 32nd pick which pisses me off cos he has top 6 winger potential and we lost McClement for nothing. Need something to calm me down about that.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:30 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Man I just got reminded that Ty Rattie is the prospect which STL got with their 32nd pick which pisses me off cos he has top 6 winger potential and we lost McClement for nothing. Need something to calm me down about that.
What if STL loses Stewart for nothing, and Siemens pans out to his full potential?

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Avs71

3 things need to happen with EJ now:

1)He stays healthy, which allows Sacco to play him 24+ minutes a night
2)He continues where he left off with his defensive game/aggression
3)More of his passes are converted into goals/Doesn't take 30 games to score his first goal.

If those happen then he should easily be recognized as a #1 defenceman. But to guys like Eskimo and BradenCarlzner I'm sure he'll never be anything more than a third pairing defenceman.

Alzner>Petry>>Johnson

Quote:
McClement being here for a year allowed O'Reilly to break out.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

we need Braden Carlzner in the main board thread to finish off the trio of irrational hatred

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
we need Braden Carlzner in the main board thread to finish off the trio of irrational hatred
I may get an infraction for my latest post in there, but I just couldn't take all the EJ haters just absolutely ignoring our evidence to refute their ridiculous claims.

Bender had a fantastic response to why EJ didn't get as many defensive zone starts as Hejda/O'Byrne, and one of the posters just completely glazed over that in his response which included more irrational hatred.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Adama0905

Quote:

I don't think the agents that are negotiating these contracts care if it's Gretzky or Jesus across the table - they'll get the money.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
marioni

Great news!

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Foppa Frossa

Speculation:If we don't acquire any D via FA/trades in the next three years, what do our defensive pairs look like after those three years? I'm assuming Barrie, Elliott and Siemens make the lineup, maybe Gaunce. You think any of them will get traded in the next few years?

Wilson - EJ
Siemens - Elliott
Gaunce - Barrie

Thoughts?

Last edited by Foppa Frossa: 07-04-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Eh, we still got the best player in the deal, I'm happy enough with that. Plus Siemens has some solid potential, that's enough for me, even if Rattie turns into something special.

It's Stewart showing his true self after being traded that really turned the deal to the Avs favor.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote