HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
dRange44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
There are three things they can do.

First is acquire a legitimate top-caliber defenseman. Someone who is a clear top-pairing option. Giordano, Yandle, M.Staal.

Second is a stop gap, a player who can perform the job but the team remains looking to improve the spot when the opportunity arises. Cole is an in-house option for this and is cheap.

Third is pay a big salary to a player who is very unlikely to be the right player, but nevertheless the contract strangles flexibility. Carle and Bouwmeester are examples of these guys.

What's weird is reportedly the Blues are interested in both the first and third options.
I'm pretty sure you've posted multiple times daily for about 10 days to 2 weeks how much you hate the idea of Bouwmeester and Carle. You've also made it perfectly clear why you feel this way and even though I may not 100% agree with your opinion, it still very much merits consideration.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 07-04-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: It's ok to post an opinion more than once here
Old
07-04-2012, 09:25 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Flames fans would do Giordano+Stajan for Rattie+Cole...thoughts?

and what do you think would it take to switch Stajan with Backlund? a pick? Schwartz instead of Rattie?

Old
07-04-2012, 09:34 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post

and what do you think would it take to switch Stajan with Backlund? a pick? Schwartz instead of Rattie?
Come one now, would you do that trade if you were a Flames fan? Rattie + Cole might get you Giordano alone, but not both, IMO.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Come one now, would you do that trade if you were a Flames fan? Rattie + Cole might get you Giordano alone, but not both, IMO.
thats what I thought too, but as I said...Flames fans came up with this
I thought more about Schwartz+Cole for Gio+Backlund

Old
07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm surprised that their fans like the Rattie+Cole deal. Their management continually want them in the playoff picture, so I'd be surprised to see them moving roster players for futures.

Not paid any attention to Stajan in Calgary, so can only go on numbers and what I've read, which obviously isn't positive.

I'd do Rattie+Cole+D'Agostini+2nd for Gio & Backlund, but I don't think that would interest them.

I wouldn't move Schwarz, I'd sooner play him at C and have Cole play.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:53 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'm surprised that their fans like the Rattie+Cole deal. Their management continually want them in the playoff picture, so I'd be surprised to see them moving roster players for futures.

Not paid any attention to Stajan in Calgary, so can only go on numbers and what I've read, which obviously isn't positive.

I'd do Rattie+Cole+D'Agostini+2nd for Gio & Backlund, but I don't think that would interest them.

I wouldn't move Schwarz, I'd sooner play him at C and have Cole play.
I also didn`t watch him the last season but the problem with him was that he was forced into a top-6 role right from the beginning in Toronto and later in Calgary too but he just isn`t top-6 material. his spot is to be a centerman in the 3rd line and if things haven`t changed significantly he still should be able get this job done very well

anyway, backlund would be the better option for sure, I like your prosposal much and I`m not even sure if they wouldn`t do it

Old
07-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Prussian_Blue

I'm having a hard time understanding this willingness, even eagerness, on the part of some fans to trade Rattie and/or Schwartz.

The Blues finally get some legitimate scoring prospects, and some of you guys want to immediately ship them off for the Flavor of the Month on defense.

Sorry, but I don't get it. What about the Blues' league-leading defense was so bad last year that you have to tear big chunks out of the future to "fix" it?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding this willingness, even eagerness, on the part of some fans to trade Rattie and/or Schwartz.

The Blues finally get some legitimate scoring prospects, and some of you guys want to immediately ship them off for the Flavor of the Month on defense.

Sorry, but I don't get it. What about the Blues' league-leading defense was so bad last year that you have to tear big chunks out of the future to "fix" it?

I want to keep Schwatz, but if the right deal comes along, then I'm happy to let Rattie go. He is a boom-or-bust guy, I'd rather hang onto him, so it would have to be a good deal.

Anyway, now that the Penguins have missed out on Parise, we can expect to be choking on Martin for Stewart trade proposals from now on...

Old
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
BVicious

We obviously want Rattie on the Flames to play with Baertschi, cuz they combined for a million points in Portland.

But Calgary will not trade Gio. And if so its for Berglund + Rattie sooooo yea. I don't think STL gets either Gio or JBo unless you part with Berglund. Plain and simple.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Not a chance in the world the Blues are parting with Berglund for JBo. That would be moronic. We can't trade one of our two natural young centers to pick up a mediocre Dman with a massive contract. Flames fans are delusional if they think they are going to get that kind of a return for such a mediocre player. I'd be surprised if they get a better offer than D'Ags plus a 3rd for him. Unless it's Columbus.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:53 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

I don`t WANT to ship em out, and I feel the same way as you do about those 2 about Perron and Oshie, who have been part of lots of prosposals made by Blues fans

but I want a cup. if we want to add missing pieces we have to give alot but I`d rather keep the proven talent and trade one of those 2...especially with the Tank rolling on

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Bluesnatic27

this is not really an option but I thought I would bring some humor into these talks, what do you guys think on adding Dougie Hamilton? it would probably take a lot to get him, but like I said, might as well have some fun in these talks.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
this is not really an option but I thought I would bring some humor into these talks, what do you guys think on adding Dougie Hamilton? it would probably take a lot to get him, but like I said, might as well have some fun in these talks.
Prefer a proven talent myself.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Lets say we trade for Bouwmeester. I could easily see us doing the same thing to the defense that we do with the forwards and balance our the even strength playing time even more.

Cole-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Polak

All the pairings can play around 17 minutes of even strength. Cole, Jackman, and Polak don't touch the ice on the powerplay; and Pietrangelo, Jackman, Polak, and Cole/Bouwmeester take care of the PK.

Just a thought, but it allows Pietrangelo to dominate the special teams part of the game, and gives us the best balance in even strength partners.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Alklha

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that we'll just go with Cole-Pietrangelo top pairing to start the season. If it isn't working after 10-15 games, then go with Pietrangelo-Polak and move Cole down.

I just don't see switching 2 players to their off-side being the first choice. We all know Cole is still learning, and with our defensive set up, it isn't out of the question that he could do that on the top line. If it works out, then come the important games, he'll have had a full season under his belt and we'll know what to expect.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Lets say we trade for Bouwmeester. I could easily see us doing the same thing to the defense that we do with the forwards and balance our the even strength playing time even more.

Cole-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Polak

All the pairings can play around 17 minutes of even strength. Cole, Jackman, and Polak don't touch the ice on the powerplay; and Pietrangelo, Jackman, Polak, and Cole/Bouwmeester take care of the PK.

Just a thought, but it allows Pietrangelo to dominate the special teams part of the game, and gives us the best balance in even strength partners.
If we trade for Bouwmeester, Cole is probably going back.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
If we trade for Bouwmeester, Cole is probably going back.
Not with the amount of defensemen that Calgary has signed.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I think that might be too logical for the Flames management...

Old
07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
That's a good point.

Even so, Cole is on a 2 way contract and Russell is ahead of him on the depth chart.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
That's a good point.

Even so, Cole is on a 2 way contract and Russell is ahead of him on the depth chart.
When it was reported that we have to get creative to make a bigger contract fit, I think that means we will have to drop salary. D'Agostini, Russell, and Crombeen are the biggest candidates to go IMO.

I think signing multiple depth guys on defense sets us up to move Russell for salary reasons.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:58 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that we'll just go with Cole-Pietrangelo top pairing to start the season. If it isn't working after 10-15 games, then go with Pietrangelo-Polak and move Cole down.

I just don't see switching 2 players to their off-side being the first choice. We all know Cole is still learning, and with our defensive set up, it isn't out of the question that he could do that on the top line. If it works out, then come the important games, he'll have had a full season under his belt and we'll know what to expect.
I could see something similar. I could see Armstrong discussing some deals over the summer, and building a framework for them. If Stewart rebounds, if Cole can't handle top pairing duties, etc, then he pulls the trigger early in camp/the season. Kinda of like how the EJ deal was something that he had discussed for a while before hand with the Avs GM.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
When it was reported that we have to get creative to make a bigger contract fit, I think that means we will have to drop salary. D'Agostini, Russell, and Crombeen are the biggest candidates to go IMO.

I think signing multiple depth guys on defense sets us up to move Russell for salary reasons.
I agree with you on Crombeen for sure as north of a million is fairly pricey for the role he will play.

D'Ags I could see only because of the huge glut of wingers we have now and he appears to be the odd man out.

Russell only makes 1.3 and he's an RFA after this contract expires. Depending on what you can get, I think it makes more sense to trade Cole who we perceive to have a higher value.

Should be interesting to watch.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I agree with you on Crombeen for sure as north of a million is fairly pricey for the role he will play.

D'Ags I could see only because of the huge glut of wingers we have now and he appears to be the odd man out.

Russell only makes 1.3 and he's an RFA after this contract expires. Depending on what you can get, I think it makes more sense to trade Cole who we perceive to have a higher value.

Should be interesting to watch.
Russell is a guy that Hitch really likes as well, I'd be surprised to see him moved.

I would assume that Crombeen is linked to Langenbrunner. If we do bring back Langenbrunner, then there isn't space for Crombeen. Sobotka - Nichol - Langenbrunner would be the likely 4th line, and that would leave D'Agostini, Reaves and Crombeen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I could see something similar. I could see Armstrong discussing some deals over the summer, and building a framework for them. If Stewart rebounds, if Cole can't handle top pairing duties, etc, then he pulls the trigger early in camp/the season. Kinda of like how the EJ deal was something that he had discussed for a while before hand with the Avs GM.
That is what I'm expecting, a summer of a lot of talking to other GM's with little to no movement but the potential of an in-season trade.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

Woah, woah, woah! Not this Flames fan.

I just can't see Calgary trading Bouwmeester or Giordano unless they get a top six center back, or a player with that potential. Realistically at this point all I see working from a Flames standpoint would be with one of Berglund or Schwartz coming back.

I know you guys are not to keen on that idea, and that is perfectly acceptable but at the same time Calgary is still trying to remain competitive.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Woah, woah, woah! Not this Flames fan.

I just can't see Calgary trading Bouwmeester or Giordano unless they get a top six center back, or a player with that potential. Realistically at this point all I see working from a Flames standpoint would be with one of Berglund or Schwartz coming back.

I know you guys are not to keen on that idea, and that is perfectly acceptable but at the same time Calgary is still trying to remain competitive.
Calgary reminds me a lot of how the Blues use to operate, as in just make the playoffs, but failing the last 3 seasons. Their managment is a joke. I say look for another trade partner.

However, since there is not much left FA wise for the Blues gaping hole for a top 4 Left Defenseman, in order to get that you have to part with something. I would not part with Cole or Schwartz. Rattie, Fairchild, Dags, for starters and future high picks as a conversation starter.

Closed Thread