HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
A lot of hate on the NJ board for ZP right now.

Really, they are pissed because they think ZP lied to them.

It should have been clear to anyone with a brain that he was going to bolt when he didn't sign with them and went to July 1 unsigned. I never believed that crap he was shoveling to Devil fans because action speaks louder than words, and he showed no action to go back to NJ.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Did you forget that they also have Heatly signed for 2 more seasons at $7.5? They are very thin up the middle, especially when facing the top teams in the West.
Truly thin up the middle...Loktionov cannot crack the Kings top 3 centers and would be #2 center on the Wild. And worse, Muzzin and
Hickey would both be in their top 4 defense.

Maybe we can help them and trade them all 3 for their 2013 #1.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
A lot of hate on the NJ board for ZP right now.

Really, they are pissed because they think ZP lied to them.

It should have been clear to anyone with a brain that he was going to bolt when he didn't sign with them and went to July 1 unsigned. I never believed that crap he was shoveling to Devil fans because action speaks louder than words, and he showed no action to go back to NJ.
Zach said if it wasn't for going home to Minnesota he would of stayed in NJ, it was more of being close to home and playing there alongside Suter, could be truth or could be saying that but I feel he's a classy guy so I'll say it's true.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see both Pittsburgh and Minnesota as being the "favorites" to win the Cup next season. People will point to Minnesota being #1 in the first 30 games last season, will blame injuries for their collapse. The Wild need to win quickly if they want to keep the team together.

They will be the sexy pick for next season.
Yeah, the so-called "experts" picked Pens to win it all when the playoffs started, guess they didn't foresee all the holes in the nets peppered by Philly shots in the first round.

Even the experts won't pick Minnesota for the Cup, they still lack depth.

In the end, I see the Kings going back-to-back. I don't really care for what the experts think, because they really aren't experts at all.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Truly thin up the middle...Loktionov cannot crack the Kings top 3 centers and would be #2 center on the Wild. And worse, Muzzin and

Loktionov would not be their #2, they have this finnish prospect named Mikael Granlund who's going to be sick, along with Charlie Coyle etc, yes they're just prospects right now, but future is bright.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far.

But as Kings fans, we are pretttty spoiled right now.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I think Minny will be a solid team.

So glad we did not sign Kovy and his fallout.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Zach said if it wasn't for going home to Minnesota he would of stayed in NJ, it was more of being close to home and playing there alongside Suter, could be truth or could be saying that but I feel he's a classy guy so I'll say it's true.
I don't believe it at all, just like I didn't believe it when he said on June 29 that he "was trying to work it out with New Jersey." I can come up with more examples of feeding misinformation to the New Jersey contingent but why bother...its a done deal now.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
johnjm22

Minnesota is probably a bubble playoff right now.

I feel sorry Nashville.

I could see Semin signing in New Jersey.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

All eyes will now be on Doan. Kings still want him, but we don't know what Doan's priorities are besides wanting to stay in Phoenix. The only thing preventing him from staying in Phoenix is the lack of stability with that franchise. Should it appear that their future is uncertain, one has to wonder what Doan's priorities are going to be. Does he want to win a Cup before retirement, or does he want to go to a competitive team but make as much money as he can before he hangs them up?

Considering that the likes of Jokinen and Whitney and Jagr signed for $4.5M, I could see a team offering Doan $5M per year. I'd go as much as three years at $15M to get Doan in the fold.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't believe it at all, just like I didn't believe it when he said on June 29 that he "was trying to work it out with New Jersey." I can come up with more examples of feeding misinformation to the New Jersey contingent but why bother...its a done deal now.
I believe it just because Parise has never shown to be un-loyal, in the end playing back home was the biggest factor and then Suter signing there made it even more convincing for him, He was drafted and developed by NJ and was there for 7 years, again that's just me you and other people may not believe it but I do, he seems like a guy who would be loyal and classy but in the end playing back home won out and I don't think you can blame him.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Loktionov would not be their #2, they have this finnish prospect named Mikael Granlund who's going to be sick, along with Charlie Coyle etc, yes they're just prospects right now, but future is bright.
Well, they just went all in that one of them will be a true #2 NHL center very quickly.

I would still take Kopitar, Richards and Stoll over anything they can ice up the middle. Especially with Carter available to center if there is an injury to Richards or Kopitar.

Loktionov was a "sick" prospect too. Similar size to Granlund (5'10" and 180 lbs). Let's see how Granlund looks playing against the other top centers in the Western conference.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:21 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Minnesota is probably a bubble playoff right now.

I feel sorry Nashville.

I could see Semin signing in New Jersey.
Detroit will outbid Jersey for Semin (more upfront money)

Old
07-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Considering that the likes of Jokinen and Whitney and Jagr signed for $4.5M, I could see a team offering Doan $5M per year. I'd go as much as three years at $15M to get Doan in the fold.
He would have to take less to play in LA. Dallas and Detroit would offer more.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:25 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Well, they just went all in that one of them will be a true #2 NHL center very quickly.

I would still take Kopitar, Richards and Stoll over anything they can ice up the middle. Especially with Carter available to center if there is an injury to Richards or Kopitar.

Loktionov was a "sick" prospect too. Similar size to Granlund (5'10" and 180 lbs). Let's see how Granlund looks playing against the other top centers in the Western conference.
Loktionov also wasn't a top 10 pick and Granlund has been playing in Finland against Men, nothings guaranteed and of course every Kings fan would take the Kings lineup over the Wild no questions asked, but I just kind of find it annoying and arrogant that some people (not naming any specific names at all..) are putting every team down because they're lineup isn't the Kings like it's bad or one fanbase shouldn't be excited about their team because it's not LA's, it might just be me but seems some people have become very arrogant after the Cup win, just my personal opinion. Of course we're all excited what happened and that the same team is going next season as well but nothings guaranteed.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Happy for the Wild fans as they are some of the best in the league. This doesn't make them cup contenders though. I still see them finishing anywhere from 7th-10.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Fishhead

Great signings by Minnesota, congrats to them! I don't really see this as any major shift of power in the WC, though. Tying up 35M in your top 5 salaries is risky to say the least.

Even with Suter, their defense is borderline playoff caliber. I know it's counter intuitive, but I think their GAA will go up next year, not down. They are going to have to open it up a bit next year - only 4 of the bottom 15 teams in goals made the playoffs, even with the Kings who were top 5 after the deadline. This will expose their defense to pressure which was previously shielded by their stifling play. Teams with a solid back end can move the puck quickly up to the forwards, and I just don't see that in Minny yet.

I still see them on the outside of the playoff picture next year. They are going to be dangerous in 2-3 years when the Backstrom and Heatley deals expire and they can go with Harding and get some more cap efficient players to fill out their team.

What's lost in the hoopla is Nashville takes a huge hit here. Not only do they lose Suter, this could have ramifications on what Weber does for his next contract. I don't buy that the NW division is suddenly great, it's still going to be the worst in the WC IMO, and Vancouver is still going to roll it. I always like to look at these deals in terms of benefit to the Kings, and I don't see a big difference here. The team that took the biggest hit on this is in the East.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Happy for the Wild fans as they are some of the best in the league. This doesn't make them cup contenders though. I still see them finishing anywhere from 7th-10.
THIS. people calling them powerhouses are truly delusional. They got better but what? Not like they stacked the team up. Just Parise and Suter. And I remember Pred fans saying how suter can be inconsistent.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
SCARFACE909

If no major injuries happen(which can't be predicted) I'd expect Minnesota to be in the playoffs. Koivu going down last year really hurt them badly.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I want the kings to sign someone, not cause we need someone now, i just miss the feeling and the surprise. Lol i remember the time i was happy that we signed Kyle Calder. what a joke lol.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Silly silly money. I respect both players, they are two very good American hockey players, but almost $100 million contracts for a guy who is a #1 d-man but would be a #2 on a lot of contenders. ZP is also a very good player, but I don't know if the post injury ZP will ever be the catalyst for a championship team either, and suddenly both these guys are worth $7.5 a year over 13 years?

Makes you wonder what Weber, Malkin or Stamkos would get right now in this market.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Loktionov also wasn't a top 10 pick and Granlund has been playing in Finland against Men, nothings guaranteed and of course every Kings fan would take the Kings lineup over the Wild no questions asked, but I just kind of find it annoying and arrogant that some people (not naming any specific names at all..) are putting every team down because they're lineup isn't the Kings like it's bad or one fanbase shouldn't be excited about their team because it's not LA's, it might just be me but seems some people have become very arrogant after the Cup win, just my personal opinion. Of course we're all excited what happened and that the same team is going next season as well but nothings guaranteed.
Kopitar wasn't a top 10 pick either.

I think the Wild have improved themselves immensely, but are Suter and Parise franchise players? Or are they more like Richards and Carter? Great guys to have on a team and able to put a great team over the top. Is Suter a true #1? Is Parise as valuable as a #1 center? They are being paid to be the top dogs and the Wild will have trouble adding players like a Richards and Carter to fill out the roster if Parise and Suter aren't the answer to the Cup. Kings don't win the Cup last year without Kopitar and Doughty being the top players. Can Suter and Parise be that for the Wild?

That's all that I'm saying. $15+ million per season for Parise and Suter is a huge risk, but it could definitely work out if Koivu can stay health and their prospects can play significant minutes as rookies. I would be excited if I was a Minnesota fan, just like I was excited when the Kings acquired Richards last off season.

I haven't really watched the Wild the past few seasons. Are they a defense only style like the Kings were with Murray? Or are they a balanced style like the Kings are with Sutter?

Old
07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
KingsFan7824

No question Minnesota is better today than they were yesterday. Right now though, that defense is very young and inexperienced after Suter. I doubt they can be called a cup contender just yet. How many teams go from years out of the playoffs, with a defense that untested come playoff time, and win the cup? Not saying they can't, but it's not usually something you can just step into.

Plus you figure that Minnesota won't just come out of nowhere with all the press they'll be getting after winning free agency. They're not Phoenix a few years ago. They're not St.Louis this season. They're not even Minnesota in the first 30 games last year. Now they'll have expectations, without a lot of experience in big games, especially on the back end.

The NW division should be fun though. Looking like Vancouver might finally have some competition. I'd still pick Vancouver when all is said and done though.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Granlund > Loktionov

No doubt in my mind

Gotta say....kid had 51 points in 45 games lat year in the SM-Liga at age 19. He is going to be awesome. I think he was up for the MVP trophy as well.

Lokti will be good. By Granlund can be a star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
No question Minnesota is better today than they were yesterday. Right now though, that defense is very young and inexperienced after Suter. I doubt they can be called a cup contender just yet. How many teams go from years out of the playoffs, with a defense that untested come playoff time, and win the cup? Not saying they can't, but it's not usually something you can just step into.

Definitely franchise players. They still need to put together some pieces around the "core" But it is starting to form.

Parise
Suter
Harding/Backstrom
Koivu

They got a young guy in Granlund...they really just need another solid D pick up and they have a great core of players to build on. I think it's a great step in the right direction for Minny.

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 07-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 02:46 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Kopitar wasn't a top 10 pick either.

I think the Wild have improved themselves immensely, but are Suter and Parise franchise players? Or are they more like Richards and Carter? Great guys to have on a team and able to put a great team over the top. Is Suter a true #1? Is Parise as valuable as a #1 center? They are being paid to be the top dogs and the Wild will have trouble adding players like a Richards and Carter to fill out the roster if Parise and Suter aren't the answer to the Cup. Kings don't win the Cup last year without Kopitar and Doughty being the top players. Can Suter and Parise be that for the Wild?

That's all that I'm saying. $15+ million per season for Parise and Suter is a huge risk, but it could definitely work out if Koivu can stay health and their prospects can play significant minutes as rookies. I would be excited if I was a Minnesota fan, just like I was excited when the Kings acquired Richards last off season.

I haven't really watched the Wild the past few seasons. Are they a defense only style like the Kings were with Murray? Or are they a balanced style like the Kings are with Sutter?
They had trouble putting the puck in the net like the Kings did and their injuries hurt them down the stretch. Koivu going down would be like Kopitar going down for LA, depth helps but you can't replace that kind of player. I'm happy for Minny as I'm sure we all are, great hockey market with passionate fans and hopefully they'll make the playoffs.

Closed Thread