HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Curse You Minnesota - Free Agent Frenzy IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
And who does Hejduk play with then?

I am not opposed to adding Semin at the right price, but one of the other Avs forwards is going to get screwed.

It is REALLY hard to justify breaking up the O'Reilly line right now, both because of how well it worked last year AND because it gives you that line to match up against other teams top units.

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie

Then that leaves you with two lines looking for a winger.

Stastny-Jones
Duchene-PA

Hejduk did not just sign back for one more year to play on the 4th line, meaning he has to play in one of those two spots. IMO Hejduk has never had any real chemistry with Jones or Stastny, meaning he logically goes with Duchene and PA. The Stastny-Jones combo looked good with McGinn last year and could use the bit of sandpaper that he brings. Putting either Hejduk or Semin on the Stastny line removes that grit.

Presuming that you are OK with losing the grit/energy on the Stastny line, that leaves you with, in no particular order...

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
Semin-Stastny-Jones
PA-Duchene-Hejduk
McGinn-Mitchell-McLeod

Now, that may seem great to get Kobasew off the roster, but I can't imagine McGinn would be happy and IMO its a waste of a talented forward who SHOULD be playing top 6 minutes.

That leaves the team possibly trading McGinn.
Exactly, like I said after day 1, it's likely that we're done. If not, it will be to fill a need on D and/or sign a depth forward as an extra/4th line duties. Even then we would have to trade a D so I don't get what all this Semin talk is about. I'd rather us save the cap space for next year and go after that FA crop.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

If Barrie, Elliot, and Siemens don't become big time players the Avs will be in a world of trouble.

Also Duchene ROR and Lando need to keep getting better.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:

I am not opposed to adding Semin at the right price, but one of the other Avs forwards is going to get screwed.

It is REALLY hard to justify breaking up the O'Reilly line right now, both because of how well it worked last year AND because it gives you that line to match up against other teams top units.

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie

Then that leaves you with two lines looking for a winger.

Stastny-Jones
Duchene-PA

Hejduk did not just sign back for one more year to play on the 4th line, meaning he has to play in one of those two spots. IMO Hejduk has never had any real chemistry with Jones or Stastny, meaning he logically goes with Duchene and PA. The Stastny-Jones combo looked good with McGinn last year and could use the bit of sandpaper that he brings. Putting either Hejduk or Semin on the Stastny line removes that grit.

Presuming that you are OK with losing the grit/energy on the Stastny line, that leaves you with, in no particular order...

Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
Semin-Stastny-Jones
PA-Duchene-Hejduk
McGinn-Mitchell-McLeod

Now, that may seem great to get Kobasew off the roster, but I can't imagine McGinn would be happy and IMO its a waste of a talented forward who SHOULD be playing top 6 minutes.

That leaves the team possibly trading McGinn.
I was looking at it from this angle all along as well BUT, IF the Avs are interested (and that's a BIG IF) then perhaps they figure that 1) they have the cap space 2) there is almost always someone injured in the lineup anyways and 3) Hejduk was a great soldier last season when asked to play a more defensive role on the 4th line.

Perhaps Hejduk has said to the Avs to do what they must to improve the team and that he'll play whatever role he needs to in his 'final' season? And if it is his final season, then it might make sense to address that need right now...

Not as cut and dry as I first though. Still unlikely though. lol buf fun to speculate.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Count me in the group that isn't all that afraid of this Minnesota team. They have a few stars and the rest is an AHL quality team.
Well im not exactly afraid of the Wild, but still i like to see the Avs start caring a little bit more about their defense.

They still have to contend with good players in the NW and rest of the league, and they do need more mobile puck moving d-men other than EJ.

Actually if they at least go out and get Carle i think that will balance the Avs D. You'll have your legit top pair and solid 2nd 3rd pairs.

That being said, i highly doubt Avs are gonna go out and sign a FA d-man, they will wait for Elliott and Barrie to finally develop into that #2 puck moving d-men.

Old
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
These Leipold comments just keep getting better and better.

Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
#mnwild Very happy Craig Leipold: Parise, Suter "drove the bus" |
Yea, no ****! They drove the bus through New Jersey, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Detroit, straight to their bank in Minnesota.

Old
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If Barrie, Elliot, and Siemens don't become big time players the Avs will be in a world of trouble.

It would help if the team had better dmen so they could have one spot open for a youngster to get experience. This years team looks like no young players will get a shot unless 2 dmen get injured.

I would like to see all 3 play for the avs someday, but I think maybe one or two will be eventually traded.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Exactly, like I said after day 1, it's likely that we're done. If not, it will be to fill a need on D and/or sign a depth forward as an extra/4th line duties. Even then we would have to trade a D so I don't get what all this Semin talk is about. I'd rather us save the cap space for next year and go after that FA crop.
who's to say those UFAs won't be locked up during the season? we have two years of flexability, I see no reason not to give Semin a shot.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Hans Landaskog

Hockey Rumours ‏@NHL_Trade

Quote:
Rumour: Brenden Morrow is available and on the trading block. #NHLStars
He's worse than Ryder.

Old
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post

i agree. They could possibly be absolutely lethal in a few years. Or they could be career ahl'ers. Thats why i think the should add one of barrie or elliott in a package deal to aquire a good top pairing dman now. I want JJ from columbus and would be willing to give a lot to get him. I would give Barrie+Scarbossa+more for him.

Old
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
It would help if the team had better dmen so they could have one spot open for a youngster to get experience. This years team looks like no young players will get a shot unless 2 dmen get injured.
And that's how it should be. Barrie and Elliot based on last year have no place on an NHL team. If they improved big time in the summer then hopefully O Brien/O Byrne/ Wilson can be moved for picks.

But the way I see it is that mgmt know's they won't be good enough until at least another full season in the AHL. Besides Hejda and EJ for obvious reasons, any of the other current roster D men would be a valuable addition to a contender if they have one year left on the contract.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:

He had one goal the last 25 games of the season, so hopefully the 4th line. He's done.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post

He's worse than Ryder.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He had one goal the last 25 games of the season, so hopefully the 4th line. He's done.
You can think that all you want, and you might even be right, but again, he did not sign back to be a 4th liner.....and I just don't see the Avs screwing him over like that.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post

He's worse than Ryder.
Ryder scored 62 points last year and Morrow scored 26, so yes.

If Colorado could move a guy like Ryan Wilson/Shane O'Brien for Morrow, I think it'd be a win. He probably has enough left in the tank for a couple decent seasons.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
kento19
@kento19

if people understood i would totally use #worsethanryder and #betterthanmorrow all the time on twitter. Unfortunately, Myself and Flanagan seem to be the only avs fans in newfoundland, and definitely the only ones on these boards. None of my followers will get it lol.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Hans Landaskog

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames

Quote:
#RedWings weren't close on money for Zach Parise. Weren't going to cough up average cap hit of $7.5 million for him.

lol doubt Semin will sign there now.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:15 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Is anyone surprised that Ryder is better than Morrow?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Is anyone surprised that Ryder is better than Morrow?

Nope.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
Oh, this conversation again.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Liles got a 2nd, Grossman also got a 2nd didn't he? I think we could get a decent defenseman.
Not to mention Visnovsky (he's seriously regressed this yr and I dunno if he's a top 4 anymore outside of offense) but I agree with your point....I'd rather get a guy like Grossman if possible rather than overpay for Carle and then hope a better FA comes up or hope one of the prospects makes a breakthrough.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Interrupted on the 16th hole to read the news. Wow, big coup for Minnesota. Over $9.5m per year on for the next 8 years or whatever. Crazy.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Ryder scored 62 points last year and Morrow scored 26, so yes.

If Colorado could move a guy like Ryan Wilson/Shane O'Brien for Morrow, I think it'd be a win. He probably has enough left in the tank for a couple decent seasons.
I know this keeps coming up, but they won't move a guy like O'Brien whom they just kept from being a UFA.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I know this keeps coming up, but they won't move a guy like O'Brien whom they just kept from being a UFA.
Exactly, looking at the D situation, Hejda, O'Bryne, or Wilson are the only logical guys to be traded.

Zanon, O'Brien, and Hunwick are all guys that you simply don't trade due to them being UFA signings...at least not until the deadline.

Johnson, well, no brainer he is not being traded.

Hard to see O'Bryne being traded unless the player coming back is a right handed D man OR the Avs intend for one of Barrie/Elliott to take his spot.

I even have a hard time seeing Wilson traded, though there is a difference between a RFA signing and being traded vs. a UFA.

That really only leaves Hejda as the top 6 guy that logically could be moved...and I am not sure I could get behind that unless it is for a clear upgrade on D, such as Yandle, or was simply to make room for Carle.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Kloparren
Hth

^ Hejda's the best option after EJ right now so don't move him.

Yandle tbh is a good dman but a 2nd pairing dman on a good team. He's an offensive dman who's defensive game has gone down last season, I can see Elliott/Barrie playing the same role he would.

We need a big minute munching dman with some mobility but mainly a defensive role if anything like Coburn (Suter would've been ideal).

Old
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Hans Landaskog

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

Quote:
Matt Carle might naturally have interest in signing with Colorado http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...-denver/10999/

Closed Thread