HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs to make a push for a Suter or a Parise

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 500
I think we could go 5 for 5 with Carle.

If he isn't a good fit, he'd still be movable with that contract.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
kapzk

Certainly a lack of class by Suter by not even giving the Preds any notification of his choice and thereby not letting them have a chance at any counter not that it would have made a difference

Old
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
"It's not about the money"

I wonder just how much money each left on the table to sign together in Minnesota.
Considering that Fletcher said no one is going to outbid Minny, nothing.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
Certainly a lack of class by Suter by not even giving the Preds any notification of his choice and thereby not letting them have a chance at any counter not that it would have made a difference
Still should NEVER have been a surprise though.

You have a player heading into the last year of his deal before becoming a UFA. You negotiate with him and you're still not sure if he's going to sign? TRADE HIM and get something for him.

If that player, likes playing in that city, he will re-up. Just like Sakic did, just like Lidstrom did, just like all those kinds of players always do.

I don't feel sorry for Poile or Lou-Lam for 1 second because they both SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

I remember posting a message about Parise when they had just beaten the Rangers and heading to the SCF, his body language was screaming "oh crap, how do I take a team to the SCF and then just leave..." lol

Besides, if Suter HAD done that, the Preds would have matched that offer. Both those guys wanted to play in Minnesota and they've known it all along. They dragged it out to make it appear like it was SUCH A TOUGH DECISION but it really wasn't.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

You have a player heading into the last year of his deal before becoming a UFA. You negotiate with him and you're still not sure if he's going to sign? TRADE HIM and get something for him.

If that player, likes playing in that city, he will re-up. Just like Sakic did, just like Lidstrom did, just like all those kinds of players always do.

I don't feel sorry for Poile or Lou-Lam for 1 second because they both SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

I remember posting a message about Parise when they had just beaten the Rangers and heading to the SCF, his body language was screaming "oh crap, how do I take a team to the SCF and then just leave..." lol

Besides, if Suter HAD done that, the Preds would have matched that offer. Both those guys wanted to play in Minnesota and they've known it all along. They dragged it out to make it appear like it was SUCH A TOUGH DECISION but it really wasn't.
Even moreso, how do you not at the least trade their rights at the Draft. I understand that both teams felt they needed to make the playoffs and see what happened for the good of their clubs, but I cant imagine that both clubs could not have gotten at LEAST the value of a 2nd for their respective players.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Even moreso, how do you not at the least trade their rights at the Draft. I understand that both teams felt they needed to make the playoffs and see what happened for the good of their clubs, but I cant imagine that both clubs could not have gotten at LEAST the value of a 2nd for their respective players.
Well for sure they were duped, in the sense that when they talked to both these guys, they were probably all saying all the right things not to offend their GMs, but in the end, they allowed themselves to be in a position to be duped and that's where they made their mistake.

If both Poile and Lou-Lam say to their guys LAST SUMMER, "look, you guys know this is a business, but you're both headed to free agency and we, as a team, can't afford to lose you for nothing. Here is my very best offer and if you cannot accept it, I understand but I will need to move you."

THAT is what I hope that the Avs do with Paul Stastny, (if it even comes to that) because you never want your team to lose a very good asset for nothing.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Easier said than done.

Both teams were heading to the postseason, with the Devils eventually making the cup finals.

As a GM, it's a tough call. You either keep the player through the trade deadline, go into the playoffs and hope they re-up with you. Or, you sacrifice your potential postseason success just to make sure you get something for them.

Trading their rights at the end of the year is also an option, but even that usually results in very very very little return.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
NHL33*

Devils made the right call, they lost a great forward but given their financial situation the playoff revenue more than compensated for it. It didn't work out as well for the Predators, but they had a very good chance on paper at going to the finals despite the weakness at center.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Lou should at least re-think his policy of never trading a players' rights.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Parise and Suter are exceptional talents, you simply can't replace them. I'm pretty sure every properly ran team in the league would have gone down to the last minute to keep them if neither player made an indications of leaving.

Of course, we don't know how the negotiations truly went. I don't feel sorry for them if Suter/Parise indicated the desire to stay. I do feel sorry if they said they wanted to remain in sincerity and then left.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Nashville and NJ were both pretty good clubs at the deadline. And NJ made the finals. So you can't trade a guy at the deadline just because you're scared of free agency.

(I'm saying this from a GM's perspective, not a NHL fan. You win one Stanley Cup and you can pretty much tack on another 4-5 years of being able to keep your NHL GM career - if you were in the same position you'd probably do the same thing unless you had great long term reassurances from your owner)

Old
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Easier said than done.

Both teams were heading to the postseason, with the Devils eventually making the cup finals.

As a GM, it's a tough call. You either keep the player through the trade deadline, go into the playoffs and hope they re-up with you. Or, you sacrifice your potential postseason success just to make sure you get something for them.

Trading their rights at the end of the year is also an option, but even that usually results in very very very little return.
I was specifically talking about trading them LAST SUMMER.

So, if Sherman approaches Stastny after July 1st, 2013 when he'll effectively have 1 year remaining on his deal and wants to extend him beyond that time and Stastny is non-committal and doesn't want to talk 'contract' right now, then my wish would be for Sherman to move him out.

Pretty much exactly what Shero did with Jordan Staal.

That's what I'm saying Poile & Lamo should have done. It may hurt more when you do it but at least you're limiting the damages done to your franchise. It shouldn't be a 'hard decision'! Those guys KNOW whether they want to play there or whether they want to go to UFA. You just gotta make the right call and do what's best for the franchise.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Mant*

Parise AND Suter to the Mild? We're fooked.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Oh no! Not the dreaded lack of class!

Old
07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Parise AND Suter to the Mild? We're fooked.
I envy teams that have the cajones to sign long term contracts.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Suter is classless because he didn't make the Preds believe they still have a chance with a counter when he had already made the decision for Minnesota? I guess the term "class" has a different meaning to you.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Just happy the Wings lost out on both of them. Let the long overdue decline begin!

Old
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Easier said than done.

I agree with this. It was a tough spot for both teams to be in, and it's part of the business. I don't think either team was going to sacrifice post season success so they could get a return at the deadline. The Devils were this close to winning the Cup. If Parise wasn't there, they would have been called fools for trading him at the deadline had they lost (which they did anyways, but that's besides the point).

I wasn't thrilled to see Minny land them both. I am shocked the Pens didn't land Parise... thought that was an easy choice for him. One thing is certain, I don't think the Avs were ever serious contenders for either player... my have times changed Hopefully we become a top destination for elite players again.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Foppa2118

Parise and Suter held their respective teams hostage by telling them all year and up until the end, there was a chance they could re-sign even after they hit free agency. So trading their rights for a mediocre package was never better than keeping them to show them how much they still wanted them to re-sign.

Turns out they both just viewed NJ and Nash as backup options if they didn't get the money and the perfect situation for both, so they strung them along to keep them from giving up on them and trading them. Very misleading, and selfish IMO, but like everyone keeps saying, they earned that right as UFA's.

Vulcher capitalist have the right to sink companies and lay people off in order to make themselves profit too, just doesn't make them respectful and decent people. Not that they're quite on that level.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Parise and Suter held their respective teams hostage by telling them all year and up until the end, there was a chance they could re-sign even after they hit free agency. So trading their rights for a mediocre package was never better than keeping them to show them how much they still wanted them to re-sign.

Turns out they both just viewed NJ and Nash as backup options if they didn't get the money and the perfect situation for both, so they strung them along to keep them from giving up on them and trading them. Very misleading, and selfish IMO, but like everyone keeps saying, they earned that right as UFA's.

Vulcher capitalist have the right to sink companies and lay people off in order to make themselves profit too, just doesn't make them respectful and decent people. Not that they're quite on that level.
Geez

Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Vulture capitalist have the right to sink companies and lay people off in order to make themselves profit too, just doesn't make them respectful and decent people. Not that they're quite on that level.
But it does allow them to run for president.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Geez
Geez is right. If you think they didn't lead them on intentionally, why do you think Poile, Weber, and Brodeur all said they were pretty confident Suter would re-sign, and both Polle and Weber and reportedly Lamoreillo are really upset and confused over what happened.

They had the right to, but they played it like business men towards the teams and fans that had been such big supporters of them, and used them as leverage for a huge contract in their home/closest to home towns. That's not that classiest thing to do, but that's just my opinion.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Foppa Frossa

Can take this to the general frenzy thread

Closed Thread