HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

PA Vs. Boyes

View Poll Results: Who will score more points this year?
PA Parenteau 37 39.78%
Brad Boyes 40 43.01%
They will have equal point totals 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
PA Vs. Boyes

Just a quick poll to see what you guys think. I am not saying by any means that Boyes is PA's replacement when all is said and done, but IF he ends up replacing PA what do you think about their point totals. I know there is another thread talking about PA and his point prediction but I thought a nice little poll would be interesting.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I think they'll be about the same. I have PAP going 20 goals and 35-40 assists. I think Boyes could put up very similar numbers with JT.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
leaponover

I picked PA, I have a feeling that unfortunately Boyes is not going to be able to find his game and end up on a 2nd line where he can't produce very well. I have him at maybe 15 goals and 20 assists mostly because of 2nd unit power play time.

I think PA will do about 20g, 35a with the Avs.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Islander102

I wouldn't be shocked if it went either way, but I couldnt bring myself to pick against a guy with 67 points last year in favor of a guy who scored 8 goals. I certainly think Tavares has what it takes to help Boyes recapture his game, but I'm not betting on it.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if it went either way, but I couldnt bring myself to pick against a guy with 67 points last year in favor of a guy who scored 8 goals. I certainly think Tavares has what it takes to help Boyes recapture his game, but I'm not betting on it.
While I agree, it is somewhat disingenuous to ignore that Boyes is only one season removed from a 55 point campaign.

One reason I could see it being Boyes, is the different contracts. Boyes is playing just to get a contract, whereas Parenteau doesn't have to worry about it for a couple years. Will PAP still play as.hard each shift when he's got his money locked up? Will Boyes find that missing piece getting a fresh start and playing for a new contract? Not sure what will happen but could see it go either way pretty easily. But overall, the odds are PAP.

Last edited by Seph: 07-04-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:46 AM
ettlinger

I think that it is impossible to predict the point production of the two at this point. It will depend a lot on the linemates they will play with. PAP not playing on a line with Tavares might mean a decline in his production, but not necessarily if he will play on the Avs top line (don't know how likely this is). Will Boyes play on the top line next to Tavares or will Okposo take this spot and Boyes moves to the second line? It will be very interesting to see though.

ettlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:26 AM
John TavArt Ross

I said Boyes, assuming he's on the 1st line. I don't see a huge season if he is2nd line pairing.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
goalsniper91

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mb0H7MHU3A

If the Islanders can get 26 goals out of him similar to what he did in Boston (pre-St Louis) with a combination of snipes and garbage goals, I think we stole a player for $1mil.

Also, might be something, might be nothing...could it be a sign that the first thing the commentators say on this video is about the Isles?

goalsniper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
JeffNYI

Obviously:

----------------------------

Boyes will fit right in and "replace" PA both in terms of role and point production in which case he's one of the the steals of the 2012 UFA class...

or

Boyes will get his opportunities, miss, and toil around 2012-13 switching linemates and going through the motions..

-----------------------------

A friend of mine who's a devout Sabres fan thinks Boyes is junk but that at $1M we might as well have signed him.. Frankly I'm not sure the Islanders could have found a more fitting replacement for PA than Boyes.. at $3M cheaper than what PA got, too, it's a move that is awash in upside..

We'll see.

But if I was Boyes I'd be finding a way to spend as much time this offseason with JT and MM as he possibly can.. work-out together.. get the families together for freakin BBQs.. whatever it takes..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Obviously:

----------------------------

Boyes will fit right in and "replace" PA both in terms of role and point production in which case he's one of the the steals of the 2012 UFA class...

or

Boyes will get his opportunities, miss, and toil around 2012-13 switching linemates and going through the motions..

-----------------------------

A friend of mine who's a devout Sabres fan thinks Boyes is junk but that at $1M we might as well have signed him.. Frankly I'm not sure the Islanders could have found a more fitting replacement for PA than Boyes.. at $3M cheaper than what PA got, too, it's a move that is awash in upside..

We'll see.

But if I was Boyes I'd be finding a way to spend as much time this offseason with JT and MM as he possibly can.. work-out together.. get the families together for freakin BBQs.. whatever it takes..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Boyes a Missasauga, Ontario native? Hmmm, spending time with JT and his family shouldn't be too difficult for him. I don't think that's a coincidence and probably shouldn't be overlooked when looking at this signing. Just saying... A happy JT can only lead to good things IMO.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Isles Junkie

i think they'll wind up being the same. Which to me is a negative, because I think PAP with JT would be better than Boyes will be. But I think that PAP won't put up the same #s with Duchene.

I'm expecting 50-55 points from each.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
While I agree, it is somewhat disingenuous to ignore that Boyes is only one season removed from a 55 point campaign.

One reason I could see it being Boyes, is the different contracts. Boyes is playing just to get a contract, whereas Parenteau doesn't have to worry about it for a couple years. Will PAP still play as.hard each shift when he's got his money locked up? Will Boyes find that missing piece getting a fresh start and playing for a new contract? Not sure what will happen but could see it go either way pretty easily. But overall, the odds are PAP.
I agree here 100%. This is not a broken down washed up Rolston, Boyes should be at his peak right now, and I have been saying since 2010 that he is the perfect compliment to JT and he was JT's local hero when he was growing up, so there is a lot of respect.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Islanderfan17

I've got to say PAP because he is younger and seemingly just entering his prime, though I hope Boyes proves otherwise.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i think they'll wind up being the same. Which to me is a negative, because I think PAP with JT would be better than Boyes will be. But I think that PAP won't put up the same #s with Duchene.

Great point. It probably cements him either doing better, by giving him the hunger for more money next season, or perishing from trying too hard.

If they place him with Tavares and he under-produces it won't take long for him to get relegated to a lower line and suffer from it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I've got to say PAP because he is younger and seemingly just entering his prime, though I hope Boyes proves otherwise.
PAP 29 years old and brad boyes is 30 years old

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Islander Prophet

Boyes will get more.. I predict almost 30 goals and over 50 pts for him

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
PAP 29 years old and brad boyes is 30 years old
For some reason I thought PA was like 27 lol, but regardless Boyes has been on the decline while PAP has been on the incline.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Icedemon

Anyone who seriously thinks boyes is gonna automatically be on the 1st line and replace parenteau's offense needs there heads examined. He's scored 14, 17, and 8 goals his last 3 seasons. We are not a playoff team as is. Add a guy like semin, or ryan then we are talking playoffs.

Icedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:38 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedemon View Post
Anyone who seriously thinks boyes is gonna automatically be on the 1st line and replace parenteau's offense needs there heads examined. He's scored 14, 17, and 8 goals his last 3 seasons. We are not a playoff team as is. Add a guy like semin, or ryan then we are talking playoffs.
The Isles routinely emphasize in the public the importance of character. Semin, has been publicly and privately, developed a reputation of having less than stellar character. It's not a fit for the Isles.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:40 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

PA seems, on paper, to be in a better protected environment with the COL offense. However, if Boyes is motivated, finds a groove, he could really benefit from the JT Effect.

I believe it will be a wash in the end. Where the difference could be made is, IF, the Isles use the $3mil saved by not signing PA and use to improve other areas of the lineup. Although, one fears you only have Viz and Carkner with PA money.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:05 PM
cfc

Unessesary is what it's.

We shouldn't be having this discussion of "if boyes is going to be as good." We should have signed PA, we know what we are getting with him. Now we are at the "I HOPE" stage again which is a step backwards.

Islanders just can't ever get their **** straight. They are their own worst enemy. Could have had Zach Parise, we took headcase Robert Nilsson who has a garbage attitude. Could have had Heatley or Gaborik, we took Mr.Glass Dipietro.

Same ****, different year. So much for maybe getting the playoffs this year, we aren't getting there with 30 goals LESS than we did last year.

cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:04 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
For some reason I thought PA was like 27 lol, but regardless Boyes has been on the decline while PAP has been on the incline.
let's not forget that PAP's "incline" is directly related to Tavares.

I think Wang is toxic and Snow is a puppet GM, but under the circumstances, this Boyes signing was a smart move. I'm not convinced Parenteau is a $4MM/year player for 4 years - that's too much money and wouldn't be the right thing for this team.

My issue has nothing to do with Boyes vs Pap, but in the top nine forward and top four dmen....getting a core that can play effectively five on five. Boyes, at one time, was a FAR better player than Parenteau was last year. We'll see what he does in an Isles uniform but from where I'm sitting, knowing Wang's payroll, Boyes is a very smart, calculated risk, who'll make less money than Jeff Tambellini.

Snow's got enough payroll (NOT CAP, because cap doesn't matter on Long Island, except the floor) to add a couple of important pieces THAT PAP and his $4MM would definitely NOT HELP.

That's the biggest piece that many of us are overlooking.

NOW...let's hope that Snow adds these pieces. That's where he needs to put on his big-girl-GM-panties and show the team (and the fans) that it's going to be a year WORTH buying tickets for.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Boyes will score 9 goals! Snow loves dumpster diving!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

they will probably score similar amount of points, but one cannot overlook the fact that one player will most likely be playing with JT and the other won't be, thus not a fair comparison

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

One way or another, this team's goal is simple this season. Score more goals than last year. Allow fewer goals than last year.

Easy.

This said, I'm just not feeling like Boyes is going to be scoring like gangbusters. I think we should expect 15-20-35 type numbers while Okposo enters 50 point land.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote