HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
07-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Shea Weber

LeBrun was just on TSN Radio in Toronto and said the following:

1) Poile and Nashville will go hard after Weber over the next few days and try to get him signed to a long-term deal.

2) He speculated that, if they can't get him signed long-term, the Predators would have no choice but to shop him for a "trade-of-the-year" type return.

3) He also said that an OS is unlikely, because Weber would realize that Nashville will match any offer. He suggested that, baring a long-term extension, the most likely outcome is that Weber signs his QO and Poile shops him.

Given all that, and given the Flyers natural interest in Weber, I thought it might make sense to start a thread for Weber-specific speculation, proposals, etc.

UPDATE: LeBrun's Column

Quote:
So what now?

For Nashville, it means trying to replace Suter on the blue line but more importantly, convincing captain Shea Weber (an RFA) to sign long-term despite Suter’s exit. That’s not going to be easy. And if Weber balks at a long-term extension this summer, Poile has no choice as far as I’m concerned: trade his rights.

Here’s hoping Poile can convince Weber to stay. The Predators, a well-organized franchise that does things the right way, deserve a break.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-are-teammates

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 07-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Agreed, this is the next big step this offseason, if Poile can't get him resigned, he has to shop him. Can't let another Suter situation go down.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I don't want to do some blockbuster trades, we have a lot of holes atm, and if we trade more players than we receive, we'll have even more holes to fill.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
sg12lw

would love weber, but i say wait until next July and hope he's available

the asking price for him would be astronomical

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
would love weber, but i say wait until next July and hope he's available

the asking price for him would be astronomical
The whole point is he won't be available after the Suter situation..

With the Flyers track record of developing/acquiring young forward talent, I'd be willing to trade depth for a stud like Weber and then regrow the lost talent up front over his tenure. Scorers are also easier to acquire through free agency than #1 defensemen.

Brayden Schenn + Luke Schenn or Sean Couturier + 2013 1st

for starters

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
54drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
LeBrun was just on TSN Radio in Toronto and said the following:

1) Poile and Nashville will go hard after Weber over the next few days and try to get him signed to a long-term deal.

2) He speculated that, if they can't get him signed long-term, the Predators would have no choice but to shop him for a "trade-of-the-year" type return.

3) He also said that an OS is unlikely, because Weber would realize that Nashville will match any offer. He suggested that, baring a long-term extension, the most likely outcome is that Weber signs his QO and Poile shops him.

Given all that, and given the Flyers natural interest in Weber, I thought it might make sense to start a thread for Weber-specific speculation, proposals, etc.

EDIT: MODs, forgive this thread if it is out of line, but since there's a separate one for Ryan and Nash, this seemed logical.
Help me out here. Weber is a Group 3 UFA according to the NHL website. Why would the Flyers have to do any kind of deal with the Preds. Couldn't they deal directly with Weber?

54drinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I don't want to do some blockbuster trades, we have a lot of holes atm, and if we trade more players than we receive, we'll have even more holes to fill.
This, unless we can get a long term deal done it is pointless. So why would we give up so much for 1 year.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54drinking View Post
Help me out here. Weber is a Group 3 UFA according to the NHL website. Why would the Flyers have to do any kind of deal with the Preds. Couldn't they deal directly with Weber?
Nashville controls his rights, so I'm not sure I follow.

Do you mean negotiate an offer sheet?

The Flyers could send Weber an absurd 12 year, $120 million contract, and Nashville, at this point, would probably still match it.

The only deal Nashville wouldn't match would be something like 1 year, $13 million--which is insanely stupid for the Flyers to do, since they would forfeit 4 first round picks for one (guaranteed) year of service.

EDIT: Sounds like something is wrong or mischaracterized on the website. Weber is RFA, not UFA.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Weber is not going to sign if he wants to leave Nashville. He's not going to risk them matching.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
hockeyfreak7

This could turn into a very interesting situation. I think Nashville will end up shopping Weber, and I think it's pretty clear he's not ready to commit long term to Nashville.

There are also still enough assets available in free agency (Mueller, Doan, Semin, Roszival) that we could fill any holes in the lineup that exist as a result of a Weber trade.

That said, unfortunately, a Weber trade likely starts with Schenn or Couturier. I dont think the brothers are leaving, and I know Homer is attached to Couturier (as we all are). So I dont really know what would happen next. I would imagine Coburn would be a necessity at this point as he carries quite a bit of value:

-Voracek
-Coburn
-MAB/Gus
-1st 2013
-1st 2014

for Weber

Then sign Mueller/Semin/Doan, Roszival, and a guy like Winnik if there's room, and go into next season with this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Simmonds-Briere-Read
Talbot-Couturier-Mueller
Winnik-Homstrom-Rinaldo

Weber-Schenn
Timonen-Meszaros
Roszival-Grossman

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think of this. I'd almost rather hang onto our assets and go for the home run at the deadline or take a gamble on 7/1/13.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
54drinking

Quote:
Nashville controls his rights, so I'm not sure I follow.

Do you mean negotiate an offer sheet?

The Flyers could send Weber an absurd 12 year, $120 million contract, and Nashville, at this point, would probably still match it.

The only deal Nashville wouldn't match would be something like 1 year, $13 million--which is insanely stupid for the Flyers to do, since they would forfeit 4 first round picks for one (guaranteed) year of service.

EDIT: Sounds like something is wrong or mischaracterized on the website. Weber is RFA, not UFA.
Sorry, I thought Unrestricted means he's free to do what he wants. If the Preds still have control of him I would think that would mean he was a group 2 player. If he was group two that would match up to what you said about the draft picks. Here's what I was looking at (scroll down to the bottom to see conditions)

Can see why I'm confused?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

Old
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
54drinking

LOL, nevermind, I was looking at the wrong line on the FA list. He's group 2. My bad!

Old
07-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Sorry, I thought Unrestricted means he's free to do what he wants. If the Preds still have control of him I would think that would mean he was a group 2 player. If he was group two that would match up to what you said about the draft picks. Here's what I was looking at (scroll down to the bottom to see conditions)

Can see why I'm confused?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658
It is at the bottom of the page.

He's Group 2 UFA.

Quote:

FREE AGENTS SUBJECT TO COMPENSATION AND RIGHT TO MATCH - GROUP 2

Players have been tendered a qualifying offer by their respective Clubs and are subject to draft-choice compensation and right to match. The draft choice compensation scale is based on compensation offered by the new Club:

OFFER COMPENSATION
$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round choice
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round choice
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round choice
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round choices

Old
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
54drinking

Quote:
It is at the bottom of the page.

He's Group 2 UFA.
hahahah yeah, I just posted that I oops'd.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
This could turn into a very interesting situation. I think Nashville will end up shopping Weber, and I think it's pretty clear he's not ready to commit long term to Nashville.

There are also still enough assets available in free agency (Mueller, Doan, Semin, Roszival) that we could fill any holes in the lineup that exist as a result of a Weber trade.

That said, unfortunately, a Weber trade likely starts with Schenn or Couturier. I dont think the brothers are leaving, and I know Homer is attached to Couturier (as we all are). So I dont really know what would happen next. I would imagine Coburn would be a necessity at this point as he carries quite a bit of value:

-Voracek
-Coburn
-MAB/Gus
-1st 2013
-1st 2014

for Weber

Then sign Mueller/Semin/Doan, Roszival, and a guy like Winnik if there's room, and go into next season with this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Simmonds-Briere-Read
Talbot-Couturier-Mueller
Winnik-Homstrom-Rinaldo

Weber-Schenn
Timonen-Meszaros
Roszival-Grossman

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think of this. I'd almost rather hang onto our assets and go for the home run at the deadline or take a gamble on 7/1/13.
That's even more than we gave up for Pronger... and Weber isn't Pronger. And what if Weber doesn't want to sign longterm with us? It would be a huge risk and an overpayment imo.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
That's even more than we gave up for Pronger... and Weber isn't Pronger. And what if Weber doesn't want to sign longterm with us? It would be a huge risk and an overpayment imo.
He's as close as he gets. Weber is going to be 27. Pronger was 35. Pay up.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I agree with you. Like I said, I dont think I could stomach giving up all of that.

That said, Voracek+Coburn++ would likely be the price we would have to pay in order to not give up Schenn or Couturier.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
nuclear reactor

I wonder if the Flyers are crazy enough to offer a cap hit of $8,410,976 (the max for 2 firsts, a second and a third) over a ridiculous length well into Weber's 40s. Huge amount up front but still several million per year near the end. Nashville might balk. The league might balk though.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
-Voracek
-Coburn
-MAB/Gus
-1st 2013
-1st 2014
That's too much, I think. I'd also assume that either Schenn or Couturier are absolute must-includes. I also think Nashville would need a roster defenseman back.

That said, it seems to me that the two most likely options are:

Couturier, Mezsaros, +

or

B. Schenn, L. Schen, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
I wonder if the Flyers are crazy enough to offer a cap hit of $8,410,976 (the max for 2 firsts, a second and a third) over a ridiculous length well into Weber's 40s. Huge amount up front but still several million per year near the end. Nashville might balk. The league might balk though.
Weber would never sign it, and if he did, Nashville would match.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Delete

Old
07-04-2012, 02:01 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's as close as he gets. Weber is going to be 27. Pronger was 35. Pay up.
I know, but even considering his age... Weber is a great defenseman, no doubt about that, probably the best in the NHL atm (we could argue for Karlsson, Doughty has more potential maybe, etc), but I don't think it would be a good idea to give up that much for him. If there was a lot of great FAs that we could get that could do a decent job replacing them, maybe, but atm...no.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:03 PM
54drinking

Quote:
That's too much, I think. I'd also assume that either Schenn or Couturier are absolute must-includes. I also think Nashville would need a roster defenseman back.

Couturier, Mezsaros, +

or

B. Schenn, L. Schen, +

Weber would never sign it, and if he did, Nashville would match.
I don't see Couts going anywhere. They got Kryptonite for Malkin with him on the roster come playoff time.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
turkinaa

At this point I think the only thing I would really give up for Weber are picks and with a player over giving up young decent forwards (like the Pronger deal). With losing some salary next year since Kimmo is 50/50 on retiring, we can probably afford Weber's salary. It's getting Weber here that is the issue and we've seen where giving up either young players or picks leaves us in the future and this is probably the only way I would feel comfortable giving up picks is getting Weber and signing him to an extension. We cannot rely on trades and signing free agents alone to build a team.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Couturier, Mezsaros, +

or

B. Schenn, L. Schen, +
I dont think there's any chance of Couturier moving.

As for the Schenns, I highly doubt it. Luke hasnt even played a game for us-- there is absolutely no way he would be traded this summer.

So that leaves us with our next most valuable pieces. Voracek and Coburn.

Honestly, I think that's a better deal for NSH than Couturier+Meszaros anyway. They cant afford to gamble on Couturier. Voracek reasonably projects to be a 60+ point player. Couturier could be, or he could just be the next David Legwand. Nashville shouldnt be making deals for Weber based on a player like Couturier, imo.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Flyerfan4life

Hobbit, strait up trade..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote