HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
I'm satisfied. He did what he needed to do and the dynamics changed when Parise went to the Wild. His wife goes home and he gets a pile of cash.

I don't think it impacts Weber but if it does, he will be traded this summer. It is what it is.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Really, I know suter is good. HOW good does this guy think he is himself? He must think he's top 3 in the NHL or something.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I'm satisfied. He did what he needed to do and the dynamics changed when Parise went to the Wild. His wife goes home and he gets a pile of cash.

I don't think it impacts Weber but if it does, he will be traded this summer. It is what it is.
Oh and why do you guys assume Weber will be traded? Don't you guys like him?

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Preds will be fine, as long as they sign Weber long term.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I'd say sentiment around here is we'd rather trade him than risk losing him like we just lost Suter.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Tried and failed to extend him last off-season. Now with Suter leaving, no reason to think he'll stay.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

David Poile is about the nicest person on the face of the Earth. And I believe he has done an incredible job building a winner in NSH against the odds.

With regard to his cornerstone player, I think his mistake was not seeing through the posturing of Ryan Suter. I suppose that could be interpreted as Poile's naivete. Perhaps he's too close to the situation to see it for what it truly is.

With regard to his other franchise d-man, Weber, my advice would be to recall an old saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Yes, a bit of cliche, but one that Poile needs to commit to memory, IMO.

07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
David Poile is about the nicest person on the face of the Earth. And I believe he has done an incredible job building a winner in NSH against the odds.

With regard to his cornerstone player, I think his mistake was not seeing through the posturing of Ryan Suter. I suppose that could be interpreted as Poile's naivete. Perhaps he's too close to the situation to see it for what it truly is.

With regard to his other franchise d-man, Weber, my advice would be to recall an old saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Yes, a bit of cliche, but one that Poile needs to commit to memory, IMO.
Feeling smug are you?

How's your "Weber Fantasy" thread on the Canucks board going?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Feeling smug are you?

How's your "Weber Fantasy" thread on the Canucks board going?
Check it out for yourself...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7#post50475347

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post

This is when the team nuts up, does what it has to do and comes out stronger and a better team from it. It may not be this season but if Poile does something right, we'll look back at this and actually be sort of thankful.
TLDR; we're a farm team

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
braindead

Quote:
I said I DONT think it impacts Weber. IF IT DOES, trade him. We love him. We loved Suter. You can't lose Weber for nothing. Suter, we gambled because we wanted to keep both and thought we had the blueprint for a cup. Weber, we can't gamble. At all.
Personally, I think Weber signs by mid August. Batman needs Robin, Superman works alone.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
ouch, that's very true ... follow the wives is very good advice

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
ouch, that's very true ... follow the wives is very good advice
That post was from a month ago. I was able to piece it together as far back as five months ago; and got strong vibes a year ago during the Weber arbitration fiasco. Why Poile couldn't see it, I don't know. Surprising.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/podcastplay...d=25&iid=40055

3:00 mark
"Ryan and I had talked throughout the year." -- Zach Parise, asked about signing together

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Something in the neighborhood of $34million in the first three years plus the wife happy being closer to home .... that's a very hard offer to top. Sucks we lost a player for nothing in return besides seven years of quality play ... but it's part of the game. Every year players switch teams via free agency. Every time there's that great we should have traded him game played by fans.

I find the farm team references laughable. Since the fire sale, what quality players have we lost for nothing who were in our plans besides Suter?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

David Poile has been a GM for 30 years if he hasn't learned to not let history repeat itself by now he never will and quite frankly should be fired if he let's this happen with Weber next off season. I don't care if the Preds win the cup in 2013. If Weber leaves for nothing then Poile should be sent packing

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:35 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Question for the last year or so have there been any hints or droppings that this (specifically Minnesota) might happen?

I ask because with Parise there have been a lot hints and droppings regarding those two over the last year. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if there was tampering going back to his RFA year last year if not before. So I'm curious what there was regarding Suter from your perspective.

And as I said on the Devils board you don't go leave one of the best run organizations to go to the wils (definition of dysfunction) if it isn't about the Wild. Goes for both Parise and Suter.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Something in the neighborhood of $34million in the first three years plus the wife happy being closer to home .... that's a very hard offer to top. Sucks we lost a player for nothing in return besides seven years of quality play ... but it's part of the game. Every year players switch teams via free agency. Every time there's that great we should have traded him game played by fans.

I find the farm team references laughable. Since the fire sale, what quality players have we lost for nothing who were in our plans besides Suter?
Is nashville a franchise that can go out and sign both of the top UFAs in one offseason for those kind of numbers? And the teams that play the free agency game are also the ones that can sign the most coveted guys for the contracts they require. We lose guys in their prime and get players in their twilight.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Really, I know suter is good. HOW good does this guy think he is himself? He must think he's top 3 in the NHL or something.
Yes, he was one of the top 3 defensemen for Nashville.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Question for the last year or so have there been any hints or droppings that this (specifically Minnesota) might happen?

I ask because with Parise there have been a lot hints and droppings regarding those two over the last year. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if there was tampering going back to his RFA year last year if not before. So I'm curious what there was regarding Suter from your perspective.
There's talk that the players discussed signing together, but, nothing I've seen that would indicate tampering from the Wild. With both players from that area of the country ... wife/fiancée from that region ... family still there ... and a team with huge needs across the roster and plenty of cap room it wasn't tough to guess that the Wild would be in play. The ability and willingness to pay a total of $50mil in signing bonuses over the next three years didn't hurt their case either.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Is nashville a franchise that can go out and sign both of the top UFAs in one offseason for those kind of numbers? And the teams that play the free agency game are also the ones that can sign the most coveted guys for the contracts they require. We lose guys in their prime and get players in their twilight.
Who have we lost in their prime outside of the fire sale? With the generalities you're spouting, it should be an easy answer rather than the non-answer you provided.

Maybe Radulov, but he never truly committed to a NHL return. AK never really fit and hasn't latched on to another team yet. Hamhuis's rights were flipped into a serviceable roster player for a year. Ellis was traded away for SK. Sully was far from his prime. Ward wanted a huge payday that he got but hasn't lived up to. SOB was serviceable while here, but, a journeyman bottom pairing defender. Zanon?

Old
07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Nitrous Mafia

what free agents, besides sully and kariya, have we acquired that weren't in their twilight?

Old
07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
That is some great stuff. You should come up with some more stories like that, build a resume and offer your service to to the NHL clubs...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
what free agents, besides sully and kariya, have we acquired that weren't in their twilight?
Sully was acquired via trade. It's just Kariya.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Sully was acquired via trade. It's just Kariya.
that's right, chicago'd.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
maplepred

Now I know how cavaliers felt about lebron after he left. At least suter didn't have an hour special on tv to ditch us

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote