HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2012 Regular Season (Finding New Ways to Lose Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Amateur Hour, thank you for posting what you did as you pretty much beat me to the punch on every point so you saved me a bunch of keystrokes. I'll only disagree with you on putting Brown in CF. You need your CF to be good defensively and Brown isn't even a mediocre fielder.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

For the record, I don't think Brown is a viable option at all, Victorino will need to be replaced. I just don't think the situation is AS dire as everyone is making it out to be. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot, but I think it's a stretch to say this team wouldn't be competing this year if Utley and Howard weren't out.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I can't really argue with anything you said, we're both seeing things the same way, just reaching different conclusions haha. I'm an eternal optimist, unfortunately.

I will say this. I agree with Howard's decline, he really needs to learn how to hit for contact better and avoid the shift (if humanly possible). BUT, this lineup is a lot scarier with him in it, and it makes everyone around him more effective. Look at Pence with and without him...big difference. Same with Werth. Plus 100+ RBIs can't hurt, and we need someone with raw power.

The only thing we disagree on is with Chase. I'm going to post here again the article I read that completely changed my outlook on the situation, but long story short, it's not chronic and isn't degenerative in the light of it WILL get worse, it's 100% fixable. It's just a weird condition where rest does nothing; you need to attack it head on with stretching and strengthening routines. Chase himself has said after this, they fell better than they have in like 4 years.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/...eys-knees.html
And I'm the eternal pessimist... so I guess that explains our respective outlooks. Thanks for the link, enlightening read. If Chase can return to anything even resembling previous form, it'll go a long way in alleviating some of my concerns, but it's at the point where I've forced myself to accept that the Utley of 2005-2010 is no more. That said, I'll gladly accept an Utley who can put up an OPS of .800 while providing all the intangibles we've come to expect. I just have to keep reminding myself how much he's spoiled us over the years, and that even in his current state he's one of the best second basemen in baseball.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Amateur Hour, thank you for posting what you did as you pretty much beat me to the punch on every point so you saved me a bunch of keystrokes. I'll only disagree with you on putting Brown in CF. You need your CF to be good defensively and Brown isn't even a mediocre fielder.
You're welcome. It was a 20-30 minute chunk of time well spent here at my job.

Wasn't Brown getting good reviews in CF in Lehigh Valley? I also read that he was enjoying playing the position. The Domonic Brown saga has been unbelievable. How could everyone have been so wrong about him? Were there serious concerns about his defense while he was getting hyped up? For the record, I thought he was improving at the plate last season, and I place a lot of the blame for his stunted development on the Phillies for jerking him around.

I just think this franchise needs a serious infusion of young, high end talent in order to remain competitive in a division that's quickly becoming like its AL counterpart.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You're welcome. It was a 20-30 minute chunk of time well spent here at my job.

Wasn't Brown getting good reviews in CF in Lehigh Valley? I also read that he was enjoying playing the position. The Domonic Brown saga has been unbelievable. How could everyone have been so wrong about him? Were there serious concerns about his defense while he was getting hyped up? For the record, I thought he was improving at the plate last season, and I place a lot of the blame for his stunted development on the Phillies for jerking him around.

I just think this franchise needs a serious infusion of young, high end talent in order to remain competitive in a division that's quickly becoming like its AL counterpart.
I really don't get that at all. He was billed as a 5 tool player, yet he can't play D, or throw accurately? It doesn't make sense how this all just appeared out of seemingly nowhere.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'm really hoping for an Utley resurgence, but yea he did just spoil us haha. Still an upper echelon player, plus he just plays the game right. I think Pence looks up to him, too, so maybe he can teach him how to take a freakin' pitch.

As for Brown, I'm baffled as to what happened with him, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just mental.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
kicksave27

For me, the phillies being good is odd. For most of my life they absolutely sucked. The prospect of them doing so again, doesn't phase me.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Amateur Hour

Toast.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

This is an effin' joke.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
This is an effin' joke.
At least they're being thoroughly humiliated. I'm telling you, dude... the problems with this team go beyond injuries. The injuries just provide a convenient excuse for in-over-its-head management to point to when it decides to do nothing but stay the course. This is only going to get worse next season if the status quo is maintained.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Oy vey.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I feel like something is going to happen...soon. Like within the next 48 hours. Firing, hiring, trade(s), call-up(s), something.

As for the CF questions, I like how Mayberry plays out there, I wouldn't be against him patrolling the confines for a year or two until we find a good-great replacement.

Can we trade ALL THE PITCHING for Trout?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I feel like something is going to happen...soon. Like within the next 48 hours. Firing, hiring, trade(s), call-up(s), something.

As for the CF questions, I like how Mayberry plays out there, I wouldn't be against him patrolling the confines for a year or two until we find a good-great replacement.

Can we trade ALL THE PITCHING for Trout?
I wouldn't be surprised if something happened. I would, however, be mildly surprised if it was a bigger shake-up. I could see the possibility of someone like Dubee getting axed a la Milt Thompson 2 years ago. He wouldn't deserve to get canned as he's not on the mound throwing slop (nor was he responsible for picking them), just like Milt didn't deserve to get canned 'cuz he wasn't going to be able to change how the veteran guys approached their ABs.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
How do we know? He has come and said he feels more comfortable in center. I want see how he actually plays it.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
With the direction that this team is heading(which is south pretty fast), I don't think Charlie is the kind of manager to help this team back up. Unload the older guys for prospects, and bring in another manager. Charlie works best when he's got a good core of veterans that are happy and he makes them happy and keeps them motivated.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
jml87

Oh my God, this team looks like ****. How the hell did this happen after last year's 102 win season? Just a nightmare.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Those last 2 innings were good to see.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Oh my God, this team looks like ****. How the hell did this happen after last year's 102 win season? Just a nightmare.
They look good today.

07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Hey, look on the bright side: No Qualls.

07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Pretty safe to say Lee will get his first win today.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
They look good today.
Yea, I posted that and then they took the lead. I guess I should be negative more often

Old
07-04-2012, 06:44 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I put on FB today that I believe Lee will get his first win today and be the spark the team really needs, hoping they go on a tear

Old
07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
A new thread will be opened in a few moments as this is approaching 1,000 posts.

A volunteer is needed.

EDIT:

A new thread has been stickied -- http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1224495

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-04-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Here are some suggestions I sent to MSE:

Howard we going to save this season?

Will this season be a Victori(no)?

2012 Phillies Courtesy of Ruin Tomorrow Jr.

Coaching a Winning Team Doesn't Come with a Manuel

Pense-ive about Selling

No Cole in our Stocking

Getting Wiggy with it.

What can Brown do for you?

Chase-ing Mediocrity

Utter-Lee Hopeless

They're all pretty cheesy...

Closed Thread