HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidc View Post
Don't believe it all, if we throw an offer sheet his way, what makes you guys think that GM's won't throw offer sheets at the Fab 4. It would quite possibly be the dumbest move in Oilers history, worse than selecting Jesse Niinimaki.

Tell us what info has come to "fruition"
What makes you think they won't anyway?
The only team that would OS our guys out of some misguided revenge would be Buffalo, Toronto Burkie Leafs, and Nashville. (2/3 of those already could)

Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Don't believe it all, if we throw an offer sheet his way, what makes you guys think that GM's won't throw offer sheets at the Fab 4. It would quite possibly be the dumbest move in Oilers history, worse than selecting Jesse Niinimaki.

Mactavish signing I believe came from him.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Swany called the Kreuger hiring & Schultz signing, but those weren't huge revelations either I suppose.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
swany

vCash: 500
Quote:

The threat of an offer sheet, Pollie is in a bad spot and what makes you think just because the oil DON'T through an offer sheet that will stop teams for doing it to us anyway holy cow do you see much good faith in the NHL?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:

If they sign Weber it shouldn't be a big problem to extend the 'Fab 4.' In any case it would be very foolish to let any of them reach RFA status without an extension.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Rafters

Is minnny still gonna de in our division if the proposed realignment goes through...

Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Not necessarily, if Weber wants out of Nashville, Poile is at a natural disadvantage against even the most inept manager in the league.
Which makes me wonder why the starting point for a trade negotiation would be as high as the one rumoured by our "insider" here.

CFP didn't get that kind of return coming or going. I can't really think of any other trade examples that would match that kind of haul without going a long long way back. Three roster players plus picks is an astonishingly high price to pay for anybody.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Bingo.

If we're comparing our team to the Chicago rebuild, Weber's definitely playing the part of Brian Campbell.

Now, if we're tying ourselves down with a high-priced contract, will it be our demise down the road? It'll look a hell of a lot worse if it costs us four first-round draft picks to boot.

But if a trade is to be had, could we squeeze in a massive contract like that and still be golden? This year and even next are no problem, especially if Hemsky or Whitney goes the other way, but after that it gets a little blurry.
There are a few things that I think people need to keep in mind about the "Chicago Model"

1. In addition to Campbell, they also threw big contracts at Hossa, Huet etc. Would they have run into problems if they had only added one big money UFA? Or if they hadn't screwed up those RFA qualifying offers?
2. IMO, Weber is a better player than Campbell.
3. They won a Cup. They may have had a few cap issues to deal with, but they still achieved their ultimate goal. Yeah, maybe they would have liked to build a dynasty, but so would every other team that has managed to win a Cup in the past decade. We're in an era where success almost goes hand in hand with needing to adjust under the cap.
4. They're still a good team. They have most of the pieces they would need to rebuild and take another run at a Cup. It's not like the Hawks have been totally decimated. They also have not yet had to lose Toews or Kane.
5. They won their Cup while they still had the cap advantage of having some of their top players on ELCs.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
belair

I'm not sure many of us would argue that it would be a very good decision to extend the 'big 4' a year ahead of schedule a'la John Tavares just to avoid the potential offersheet.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
The threat of an offer sheet, Pollie is in a bad spot and what makes you think just because the oil DON'T through an offer sheet that will stop teams for doing it to us anyway holy cow do you see much good faith in the NHL?
I wonder what we're looking at for pieces in a deal, who hopefully aren't the big-4

Maybe

Hemsky, PRV, Petry, Peckham and 1st in 2013

for

Weber, Laako and McGratton

Maybe?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
swany

Going to say it again this is what I've heard NOT had a chance to conferm it I'm trying to do that now if my guys say it's bull i will post that as well, to much smoke here with Stauffer bringing it up constantly and now matty saying same thing.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I can vouch for Swany. He has told me info which has come to fruition in the past.
A) Is this sarcastic?
B) What did Swany say?

Closed Thread