HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Now I wish even more that the proposed re-alignment were in place. Would love for the Preds to beat the snot out of Suter and the Wild every year in meaningful games.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
what free agents, besides sully and kariya, have we acquired that weren't in their twilight?
And when we lost Kariya in the year of the fire sale, he vanished into history and never saw the post season again.

Arnott was 31 years old when we brought him in ... averaging 29 goals per season in his first three with the Preds. Dumont was 28 yrs old ... averaging over 20g and nearly 70pts per season in his first three as a Pred. Ward was a risky FA acquisition who wasn't in his twilight. Goc was a 26 yr old FA pick up.

Just a few .... still wondering who this talent we keep hemorrhaging into the FA market is. Suter and ............

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
And when we lost Kariya in the year of the fire sale, he vanished into history and never saw the post season again.

Arnott was 31 years old when we brought him in ... averaging 29 goals per season in his first three with the Preds. Dumont was 28 yrs old ... averaging over 20g and nearly 70pts per season in his first three as a Pred. Ward was a risky FA acquisition who wasn't in his twilight. Goc was a 26 yr old FA pick up.

Just a few .... still wondering who this talent we keep hemorrhaging into the FA market is. Suter and ............
and exactly what have arnott, goc, dumont, done since?

hamuis, suter, soon to be weber, radulov walked on us as well even if it wasn't to the nhl. outside of Rinne, what other players have we even deveopled that would be in a position to reach UFA god status and walk on us like suter has? people have said "oh but you guys have Ellis". Who cares if all we will get is 1-3 good years and then he walks as well. then we just start over. it's a small sample size since we're not letting the firesale guys be in play but it's looking like we are indeed a farm team. what's the point?

again, we're really good at letting them walk or atleast get away without receiving max value but not very good at all when it comes to signing types of guys that walk from us. sure we can plug holes with ufa but that's not enough.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Top 6 Spaling

One player walks =/= we're a farm team.

Let's see what happens with Weber. If he leaves too, then I'm on board with that mentality, but so far, this is just one guy wanting to go back to his wife's home state as far as I can tell

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Paincakes

Whatever. He didn't go to Detroit. I don't hate Minnesota so whatever, if it is best for him and his family all the power to him.

We will be good again eventually. Everyone just needs to stop ******** their pants.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
yogibear

If Nashville was to be looking for young players in return of Weber, Ottawa maybe a good trading partner. Ottawa have drafted 3 forwards in 2011 in the first round and one defenceman in 2012 in the first round. The Sens have also two young goalies ready to setup as the number two next year and can afford to let one go. Of course, none of these players are better than Weber.

At the moment, i can only think of Edmonton than may have better young players to offer in a trade.

Both team have the cap space available.

yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
and exactly what have arnott, goc, dumont, done since?

hamuis, suter, soon to be weber, radulov walked on us as well even if it wasn't to the nhl. outside of Rinne, what other players have we even deveopled that would be in a position to reach UFA god status and walk on us like suter has? people have said "oh but you guys have Ellis". Who cares if all we will get is 1-3 good years and then he walks as well. then we just start over. it's a small sample size since we're not letting the firesale guys be in play but it's looking like we are indeed a farm team. what's the point?

again, we're really good at letting them walk or atleast get away without receiving max value but not very good at all when it comes to signing types of guys that walk from us. sure we can plug holes with ufa but that's not enough.
Hamhuis left, but for something in exchange. Radulov left before legally able to then came back just long enough to satisfy his contractual obligations. Weber isn't a given yet. Rinne stayed. Both Vokoun and Mason signed deals as starters here. We traded for Sullivan and kept him until we felt the kids were ready to surpass him on the depth chart. The other guys entering their prime years put up decent numbers for several seasons as Preds.

Players go to, and leave, every single team in the league. I'm still waiting for who these "farm team" players we keep putting out into the rest of the league with nothing in return are. Similarly to your we only sign free agents in their twilight, the facts run contrary to the farm team contention.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Which of our draftees that was clearly primed to test the UFA big market bucks have we resigned?

Rinne and ...

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Legionnaire11

Sully and Dumont were clear wins in the end. Suter is a clear loss.

Most other deals are somewhere in between, Hamhuis wasn't lost for nothing, but it's probably a net loss on him all together. The firesale stuff doesn't really count. Arnott and Kariya weren't top FA's when they came or when they left, so about even on them.

I really just hope that MIN continues to be a borderline playoff team and these contracts kill Liarpold.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Ryan Suter made a decision today that while stings, is not something Nashville fans can be upset about. He earned the right to be an unrestricted free agent.

Other than sports, is there any other career field you get drafted in and have to work for a specific company? No there isn't. I'll thank Ryan for his service and move on.

He owes us nothing, and for that matter we owe him the same. He wanted to move on and we need to as well. There will always be roster turnover no matter the team or sport. All we can focus on is the players that will be back this season.

If we lock up Weber, awesome.

If we trade Weber, awesome.

If neither happen and he walks, so be it. (mind you I'll hate David Poile for eternity)

Chin up guys. We'll be ok.

Jonesey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

we'll never get out of this MAZE!!!!

we need to lock weber up now and we are still a hell of a team when we find a 1b or 2a for webs.

not that pissed to be honest. I hope liarpold and company miss the playoffs for years.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Which of our draftees that was clearly primed to test the UFA big market bucks have we resigned?

Rinne and ...
You keep asking questions while failing to answer any.

Would you like to start with the 1998 draft class and Legwand? How about Erat from 1999? The class of 2000 featured fire sale victim Hartnell. 01 class moved on with Hamhuis and the Tootoo. Nobody was around from the '02 class nor have any of them made the big bucks anywhere else. Suter is the only member of the '03 class to reach UFA status. Rinne locked up long term from the '04 class.

Let's see ... one decent player, one star player, and one role player lost to UFA moves plus Hartnell during the fire sale. Two of our top six forwards and our starting goalie drafted and signed as pending UFAs.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Sully and Dumont were clear wins in the end. Suter is a clear loss.

Most other deals are somewhere in between, Hamhuis wasn't lost for nothing, but it's probably a net loss on him all together. The firesale stuff doesn't really count. Arnott and Kariya weren't top FA's when they came or when they left, so about even on them.

I really just hope that MIN continues to be a borderline playoff team and these contracts kill Liarpold.
Arnott and Dumont may not have been elite talents when we picked them up, but, Dumont's about 69 points per season and Arnott's 29 goals per for each of their first three seasons here is pretty good. At the price we got them for, they were great moves.

Hamhuis had that need to play closer to home. We managed to get something for him that eventually turned into SOB. A step down talent wise, but, the it beat the hell out of losing him for nothing.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Arnott and Dumont may not have been elite talents when we picked them up, but, Dumont's about 69 points per season and Arnott's 29 goals per for each of their first three seasons here is pretty good. At the price we got them for, they were great moves.

Hamhuis had that need to play closer to home. We managed to get something for him that eventually turned into SOB. A step down talent wise, but, the it beat the hell out of losing him for nothing.
Also IIRC, Arnott still holds the number of goals scored by a pred or did Horny Tie/surpass it. I know its not much (32-33 goals) but still. Arnott was the man for us......til the end of his stint here. I thought it was time.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

well that sucks, I hope he never makes the playoffs again. I hate Liarpold and his team. F him and anyone that plays for him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think I will be reading comments from Suter for a while. At least I won't be seeking them out.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Illori

i 'm really curious to see Suter in a system without barry trotz what is capable to do.

Illori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illori View Post
i 'm really curious to see Suter in a system without barry trotz what is capable to do.
I agree, but just replace Trotz with Weber.

We're about to find out if Suter is really a #1 defenseman like we all think or if he is a #2 that fed off Weber. I think he's the former...but we shall see.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
WartracePred

Well, I now have a new team to watch - and hope they lose every game. I know it's petty and irrational. But hey, that's what makes us fans, right. Between Tootoo and Suter, it will make beating the Wild and Wings even sweeter.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
glenngineer

One player does not make up a franchise. I don't care who it is when it comes to a team sport. It is a team game and there are lots of guys that need to step up. We've lost players in the past, none of Suter's stature of course, but we've still lost guys and moved on. Replace him with someone, re-up Weber and move on. That's all we can do at this point. The team is still very solid whether or not we want to believe it.

While I'm not happy about Suter's decision to leave, good luck in Minny but if all that Poile said is true, Ryan Suter, you are dead to me.

To Mr. Weber, re-sign in Nashville and prove to everyone in the NHL that you were the stick that stirred the drink on the pairing with you and Mr. Suter. Prove to the NHL and it's fans that Nashville is a team that is to be reckoned with and lead us to the promised land. Show the city and it's fans your commitment and we will show you ours. Bring it big man, it's your time to have the spotlight on you and you alone. It's a risk but aren't all things in life?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Colorado fan coming in peace. This must suck for you guys, to lose such an important player to an inferior rival. I may be alone in my thinking, but I always lump Nashville, Columbus, Minnesota, and formerly Atlanta together in a late 90's expansion sorta way (just like I see Colorado as closely tied with Phoenix and Carolina) and Nashville is obviously a cut above the others. I know I'd be furious in your position. Chin up, though, Suter ain't Lidstrom (in more ways than one)-- you'll replace him. And hopefully your guys come out flying every game against Minnesota this year. Here's to prolonging their playoff drought.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
RollingPredFan

Suter is dead to me. One hopes this will end up like most teams trying to buy a championship, it hardly ever works. I don't blame him for wanting money but I do blame him blabbing about wanting to stay in Nashville and hamstringing Poile into overbidding in deadline trade deals. He and Liepold can eat it lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:41 PM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

Sorry for your loss of both Suter and Radulov

Your team is still far better than the ****ing Wild, your GM is awesome, and I've always liked watching the Preds play.

We are now brothers in arms! Let us boo the ****** Wild together!

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

I really hope the Preds smash the Wild apart, every time they play them.

It'll be ok guys. **** Dumb and Dumber.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote