HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 3

Last thread passed 1000. Continue here

A few posts from the last thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
What makes you think they won't anyway?
The only team that would OS our guys out of some misguided revenge would be Buffalo, Toronto Burkie Leafs, and Nashville. (2/3 of those already could)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Mactavish signing I believe came from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Swany called the Kreuger hiring & Schultz signing, but those weren't huge revelations either I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
The threat of an offer sheet, Pollie is in a bad spot and what makes you think just because the oil DON'T through an offer sheet that will stop teams for doing it to us anyway holy cow do you see much good faith in the NHL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If they sign Weber it shouldn't be a big problem to extend the 'Fab 4.' In any case it would be very foolish to let any of them reach RFA status without an extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Is minnny still gonna de in our division if the proposed realignment goes through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Which makes me wonder why the starting point for a trade negotiation would be as high as the one rumoured by our "insider" here.

CFP didn't get that kind of return coming or going. I can't really think of any other trade examples that would match that kind of haul without going a long long way back. Three roster players plus picks is an astonishingly high price to pay for anybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
There are a few things that I think people need to keep in mind about the "Chicago Model"

1. In addition to Campbell, they also threw big contracts at Hossa, Huet etc. Would they have run into problems if they had only added one big money UFA? Or if they hadn't screwed up those RFA qualifying offers?
2. IMO, Weber is a better player than Campbell.
3. They won a Cup. They may have had a few cap issues to deal with, but they still achieved their ultimate goal. Yeah, maybe they would have liked to build a dynasty, but so would every other team that has managed to win a Cup in the past decade. We're in an era where success almost goes hand in hand with needing to adjust under the cap.
4. They're still a good team. They have most of the pieces they would need to rebuild and take another run at a Cup. It's not like the Hawks have been totally decimated. They also have not yet had to lose Toews or Kane.
5. They won their Cup while they still had the cap advantage of having some of their top players on ELCs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I'm not sure many of us would argue that it would be a very good decision to extend the 'big 4' a year ahead of schedule a'la John Tavares just to avoid the potential offersheet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder what we're looking at for pieces in a deal, who hopefully aren't the big-4

Maybe

Hemsky, PRV, Petry, Peckham and 1st in 2013

for

Weber, Laako and McGratton

Maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
Going to say it again this is what I've heard NOT had a chance to conferm it I'm trying to do that now if my guys say it's bull i will post that as well, to much smoke here with Stauffer bringing it up constantly and now matty saying same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
A) Is this sarcastic?
B) What did Swany say?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

No, oh god no, to Weber.

We're all like "We'll keep the big 5!". Have fun with the Bowman-era Blackhawks. Weber becomes our Byfuglien.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
zaidc

We're the only team that offers offer sheets (look at the last few years, Vanek, Penner). Its like one of those things that you don't do as a GM.

I believe the only reason Kevin Lowe isn't our GM is because his reputation around the league with GM's is bad.

I would do the trade but not the offer sheet.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
#ualberta

What if we trade a bunch of stuff for him and then he only wants to sign one year deal

Old
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
zaidc

Make sure he wants to sign before doing the trade, I suppose.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Koto

What did Swany say?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
#ualberta

no offer sheet I would only want to trade for his rights and I don't know how risky that is

Old
07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Parise is gone, if Semin isn't interested in the KHL, some GM is going to start throwing money at him soon.

still though...

Semin-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Ebs
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Last edited by lakai17: 07-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters
Is minnny still gonna de in our division if the proposed realignment goes through...

Geographically, no. but who knows how they are going to actually do it.

Does anyone have any realistic trade ideas, or are we just going to bash Gilbert and argue over what we would give up for Weber even though there is about 0.01% chance of that happening? Who needs a top 6 skilled RW now that Parise went to Minnesota?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
What did Swany say?
1) He called the MacT signing before it happened
2) He said at the end of May he was 90% Schultz would sign with the Oilers
3) He said Krueger was going to be the head coach a while before it happened

Now take with a grain of salt because I believe 2) and 3) were speculated about by the media around the same time/before he mentioned them but apparently mods have vouched for his source.

He is now saying that the Oilers are considering trading for a signed Weber if Poile thinks he will lose him after next year or that they might threaten an offer sheet. By the sounds of it he hasn't heard this from his source (rather from Stauffer and Matheson, like all of us) but is going to look into it and get back to us.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Parise is gone, if Semin isn't interested in the KHL, some GM is going to start throwing money at him soon.

still though...

Semin-RNH-Yakupov <--Russian factor, what a nasty line
Hall-Gagner-Ebs <--dynamite
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky <-- better than average 3rd line
No to Semin. We don't need anymore soft players & we've got enough skill up front. If we're adding any skill up front, they have to be providing toughness as well.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
zaidc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
1) He called the MacT signing before it happened
2) He said at the end of May he was 90% Schultz would sign with the Oilers
3) He said Krueger was going to be the head coach a while before it happened

Now take with a grain of salt because I believe 2) and 3) were speculated about by the media around the same time/before he mentioned them but apparently mods have vouched for his source.

He is now saying that the Oilers are considering trading for a signed Weber if Poile thinks he will lose him after next year or that they might threaten an offer sheet. By the sounds of it he hasn't heard this from his source (rather from Stauffer and Matheson, like all of us) but is going to look into it and get back to us.
He probably is a reliable source, but threatening a team with an offer sheet is something that's gonna bite us in a$$. Do the trade, if possible (although I love Ales Hemsky) and sign him.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Parise is a LW so doubt it increased Hemsky's value.
Him being gone has put Nash at the top of the list now.

With Suter gone, guys like JBo and Yandle will become a hot commodity and can fetch a lot in return.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
No, oh god no, to Weber.

We're all like "We'll keep the big 5!". Have fun with the Bowman-era Blackhawks. Weber becomes our Byfuglien.
Don't know if serious? Keep in mind that if, big IF we were able to land Weber, we would have a well balanced group of skill. Moving out (Petry, Hemsky, Prv, 1st) would create the roster spots (more balanced) and cap.

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Harti Hopkins Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

Weber Schultz
Whitney Smid
Schultz Sutton(next year Klefbom)
Potter

Makes the playoff's IMO. With lots of money to sign the "big" 4

Keep in mind Lander comes up and replaces Horcoff, Bunz comes up and replaces Khabby, and Pitlick should replace Smyth.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidc View Post
We're the only team that offers offer sheets (look at the last few years, Vanek, Penner).
No, it's happened at least six times since 2006. We're the only ones who get blasted for it because we're the desperate small market team that everyone loves to make fun of.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Koto

I know i'm way late to the party but here are my comments on the signings today:

1) I think its really cool that two players chose to go somewhere together trying to improve their chances to win.
2) Refreshing to see superstars choose a team like minny, not det, nyr, phi, pit, bos, la.
3) Hate that it was actually minny that got them lol, was really hoping for them to both go to nashville.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Don't know if serious? Keep in mind that if, big IF we were able to land Weber, we would have a well balanced group of skill. Moving out (Petry, Hemsky, Prv, 1st) would create the roster spots (more balanced) and cap.

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Harti Hopkins Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

Weber Schultz
Whitney Smid
Potter

Keep in mind Lander comes up and replaces Horcoff, Bunz comes up and replaces Khabby, and Pitlick should replace Smyth.
The other thing that seems to be being forgotten is what kind of an impact an elite #1 defenseman can make on a team. Look at Detroit, 20 years of Nik Lidstrom seemed to go hand in hand with 20 years of greatness. One year of Pronger in Edmonton or Chara's impact in Boston.

It's easy to say "oh well lets keep our guys, they'll be fine" but an elite #1 defenseman can make a world of difference to a team.

Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
No, oh god no, to Weber.

Weber is the best defenseman on planet Earth. If we have to trade Nail Yakupov to get him, I would trade him. Every single time.

Old
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
No, oh god no, to Weber.

So we get to win a stanley cup? where do i sign.

Old
Koto

i'd so much rather OS than give up any package with petry in it..

Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
No, oh god no, to Weber.

, right?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN -

Quote:
The NHL has vowed to close that loophole, and warned teams that the transition rules would be harsh, but 14 teams have at least one of them.
I worry if the transition rule change might be counting the actual dollars rather than the average. We might get ourselves into trouble with the big 4's second contracts if we're paying Weber 12M on what would currently be a 7.5M cap hit deal. Of course the cap does keep going up, and with more Canadian franchises rumoured it could go higher. Plus we'll still be losing contracts. Ok screw my previous reservations, this is a big, young, physical, number 1 D.

So long as none of the big 4(not worth it) or Schultz(optics) or Klefbom(too intriguing) are included, I would be ok if we chased him.

Edit: I am thinking something like

Hemsky + Smid/Petry + Paajarvi/Hartikainen + 1st in 2013(lottery protection changes it to 2014) + 2nd 2013

Last edited by s7ark: 07-04-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
i'd so much rather OS than give up any package with petry in it..
I don't mind giving up Petry, but an offer sheet would be pretty good, adding him at a "relatively" minimal expense and without gutting the team too much.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Am I just likely forgetting how good Weber is?

I don't think a package of Hemsky, Petry, Prv, and 2013 1st gets you him then...

Old
07-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Harti Hopkins Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

Weber Schultz
Whitney Smid
Potter

I agree with this, but I feel like Whitney would be involved in a trade for Weber JMO.

Hemsky, Petry, Whitney, 2013 1st for Weber, Cap Dump?

Down the road:

Hall 6.5 -Gagner 3.5 -Eberle 6.5
Paajarvi 3 -RNH 6.5 -Yakupov 6.5
Hart 1.5 - Lander 2 - Pitlick ELC
Eager 2 - Belanger 2 - Petrell 1.5

Weber 8 - J Schultz 4
Smid 4 - N Schultz 4
Klefbom ELC - Musil ELC

Dubnyk 3
Bunz ELC

68.5 mil if my math is right.

Pretty doable but we have to move Whitney.

Closed Thread