HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
  #26
spot
Registered User
 
spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The other thing that seems to be being forgotten is what kind of an impact an elite #1 defenseman can make on a team. Look at Detroit, 20 years of Nik Lidstrom seemed to go hand in hand with 20 years of greatness. One year of Pronger in Edmonton or Chara's impact in Boston.

It's easy to say "oh well lets keep our guys, they'll be fine" but an elite #1 defenseman can make a world of difference to a team.
Absolutely! People need to realize that Weber would more then likely be playing 25mins+ a night for us. Changes our PP instantly. (Already top 4) With finally getting a number 1 in Weber everybody else slots down nicely. Whitney becomes a great number two guy, Smid number three and Schultz rounds out our top 4. Our bottom pairing would be N.Schultz and Sutton lol...that would be great!

spot is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
  #27
Topkatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Don't know if serious? Keep in mind that if, big IF we were able to land Weber, we would have a well balanced group of skill. Moving out (Petry, Hemsky, Prv, 1st) would create the roster spots (more balanced) and cap.

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Harti Hopkins Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

Weber Schultz
Whitney Smid
Schultz Sutton(next year Klefbom)
Potter

Makes the playoff's IMO. With lots of money to sign the "big" 4

Keep in mind Lander comes up and replaces Horcoff, Bunz comes up and replaces Khabby, and Pitlick should replace Smyth.
That team is infinitely better than the one keeping Hemsky, PRV and petry. It makes the playoffs and i'd say has the potential to go quite a way.

I love the look of it!!

I don't think tambo has the guts to make that type of trade though sadly...

Topkatz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
  #28
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
I got Weber in NHL 12 for Omark, Brule, Barker, and a second round pick. Maybe Nashville would want a third rounder too if this happens in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i'd so much rather OS than give up any package with petry in it..
I read on the trade board (FWIW) that Poile has said he'll match any OS. Besides, Petry is nothing more than a #4/5 guy on a playoff team, young but no guarantee for a contender's top pairing in the future.

Shea Weber is the best defenceman in the world. If Petry's gotta go, I do it without blinking.

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
  #29
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,305
vCash: 500
Why is it almost like the Wings are entitled to the number one franchise D? Newsflash: They're getting older and they're not that good anymore.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
  #30
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Weber in an Oilers jersey just seems so right for some reason.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
  #31
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Am I just likely forgetting how good Weber is?
Remember what impact Chris Pronger had?

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
  #32
spot
Registered User
 
spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I agree with this, but I feel like Whitney would be involved in a trade for Weber JMO.

Hemsky, Petry, Whitney, 2013 1st for Weber, Cap Dump?

Down the road:

Hall 6.5 -Gagner 3.5 -Eberle 6.5
Paajarvi 3 -RNH 6.5 -Yakupov 6.5
Hart 1.5 - Lander 2 - Pitlick ELC
Eager 2 - Belanger 2 - Petrell 1.5

Weber 8 - J Schultz 4
Smid 4 - N Schultz 4
Klefbom ELC - Musil ELC

Dubnyk 3
Bunz ELC

68.5 mil if my math is right.

Pretty doable but we have to move Whitney.
Your math and line-up looks great!!!! But, please keep in mind, would Nashville really accept two negative value contracts in whitney and Hemsky? That is 10 million dollars right there. It would need to be far more enticing, hence, Petry and Prv. We can always trade Whitney at the tdl as history would suggest.

spot is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
  #33
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Am I just likely forgetting how good Weber is?

I don't think a package of Hemsky, Petry, Prv, and 2013 1st gets you him then...
Distressed AAA assets to not return healthy AA assets.

He's only being traded if he doesn't want to sign, and he's only being traded for if the new team can sign him.

You can't think about as though hes on a 5 year/lifetime contract already, because he actually controls so much still, therefore the value is reduced.

Koto is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
  #34
zaidc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
No, it's happened at least six times since 2006. We're the only ones who get blasted for it because we're the desperate small market team that everyone loves to make fun of.
That's a good point, but still, knowing how **** always gets messed up for Oiler fans, I wouldn't do it.

zaidc is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
  #35
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Remember Chris Pronger?
I try not to. It only brings sorrow.

I doubt that Hemsky, Paajarvi, Petry and 2013's 1st would be offered for Weber if he isn't signed... Do you think that if we trade for him, he'll sign with us long-term?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Distressed AAA assets to not return healthy AA assets.

He's only being traded if he doesn't want to sign, and he's only being traded for if the new team can sign him.

You can't think about as though hes on a 5 year/lifetime contract already, because he actually controls so much still, therefore the value is reduced.
Dubnyk "Ooooh" required. Being slow today.

If it is for one year of Weber, I think a package of Hemsky, Paajarvi, another high-end asset and 2013's first has to be enticing.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
  #36
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,062
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Why is it almost like the Wings are entitled to the number one franchise D? Newsflash: They're getting older and they're not that good anymore.
Smith, Kronwall and Ericsson are all legit defenceman as well but the Wings time is up

lakai17 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  #37
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,483
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Weber in an Oilers jersey just seems so right for some reason.
I have little doubt that Katz would be opening the vault for him if he goes ufa.

Dont know if he would be receptive to coming there though.

If we could get him without giving up too much, or ideally anything at all, we would immediately become a playoff team imo.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  #38
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Your math and line-up looks great!!!! But, please keep in mind, would Nashville really accept two negative value contracts in whitney and Hemsky? That is 10 million dollars right there. It would need to be far more enticing, hence, Petry and Prv. We can always trade Whitney at the tdl as history would suggest.
True. Wishful thinking on my part with the trade.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  #39
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
I doubt that the Oilers have a serious shot at Weber in unrestricted free agency as it stands. If, if they make serious strides in 12/13 then we might be in business.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  #40
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Am I just likely forgetting how good Weber is?

I don't think a package of Hemsky, Petry, Prv, and 2013 1st gets you him then...
Pronger deal...

Lupul, Smid, 1st Round, Conditional 1st Round, 2nd Round

So...

Gagner, Petry, Paajarvi, 2013 1st, 2013 2nd?

Or if they want to hit the cap floor...

Hemsky, Whitney, Marincin/Klefbom, 2013 1st, 2013 2nd?

belair is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
  #41
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I try not to. It only brings sorrow.

I doubt that Hemsky, Paajarvi, Petry and 2013's 1st would be offered for Weber if he isn't signed... Do you think that if we trade for him, he'll sign with us long-term?
He'd get more than Suter, barring CBA changes, as a UFA. We'd have cap space but would we have the courage? Courage, or maybe it's stupidity to give out $100M/14 years?

The bidding war, if he's available via trade, would be equally monstrous although Pronger never generated the quality-for-quality returns. Of course, you gotta talk to him to see if he'll sign an extension if traded here and I dunno if he would.

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
  #42
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I have little doubt that Katz would be opening the vault for him if he goes ufa.

Dont know if he would be receptive to coming there though.

If we could get him without giving up too much, or ideally anything at all, we would immediately become a playoff team imo.
Agreed.

This team is a Weber away.

It would steady the D core instantly and take pressure off Smid and N Schultz.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
  #43
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I agree with this, but I feel like Whitney would be involved in a trade for Weber JMO.

Hemsky, Petry, Whitney, 2013 1st for Weber, Cap Dump?

Down the road:

Hall 6.5 -Gagner 3.5 -Eberle 6.5
Paajarvi 3 -RNH 6.5 -Yakupov 6.5
Hart 1.5 - Lander 2 - Pitlick ELC
Eager 2 - Belanger 2 - Petrell 1.5

Weber 8 - J Schultz 4
Smid 4 - N Schultz 4
Klefbom ELC - Musil ELC

Dubnyk 3
Bunz ELC

68.5 mil if my math is right.

Pretty doable but we have to move Whitney.
You mean you expect NSH to take on more than the 9M you are sending in whitney and hemsky?



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
I got Weber in NHL 12 for Omark, Brule, Barker, and a second round pick. Maybe Nashville would want a third rounder too if this happens in real life?



I read on the trade board (FWIW) that Poile has said he'll match any OS. Besides, Petry is nothing more than a #4/5 guy on a playoff team, young but no guarantee for a contender's top pairing in the future.

Shea Weber is the best defenceman in the world. If Petry's gotta go, I do it without blinking.
He simply cannot match a 1 year OS. It guarantees he gets nothing for weber in a year.

And i am willing to trade petry, but as i stated, i'd so much rather forfeit 4 1sts (considering its petry++++++++).

Koto is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
  #44
ExOilerFan
Registered User
 
ExOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 945
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st

ExOilerFan is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
  #45
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Don't know if serious? Keep in mind that if, big IF we were able to land Weber, we would have a well balanced group of skill. Moving out (Petry, Hemsky, Prv, 1st) would create the roster spots (more balanced) and cap.
things to consider:
1. Hemsky just resigned - Trading him now to a team that would be going down after trading 2 franchise players would suck for him. Not that it matters but he would hate us.

2. Petry - worked great with Smid as a pairing and ate a lot of hard minutes. Could continue to do the same in future and become a top pairing dman.

3. Paajarvi - value is at all time low. Trading him now would be stupid unless EDM has lost all faith in him.

4. 1st - Very deep draft. Could be a Curtis Lazar that we trade away.

5. Signing Weber to a 10-13 year contract.. Do we really want to sign up a player for huge money until he turns 40 ? We would probably have to deal a couple of our "fab 4" just to stay under the cap.

I would reluctantly do this deal because to me Weber is a top 5 player in the NHL. I would be as happy if we kept these depth players and signed a minute eating physical Dman instead. J.Schultz can be good enough on the right point on PP.

If this deal was to happen.. Tambo would become the biggest troll in NHL2012.
top pick after winning the lotto, top UFA(Schultz) and then top Dman.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  #46
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st
Has it cost that much to get anybody since the Lindros trade?

Arpeggio is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  #47
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
You mean you expect NSH to take on more than the 9M you are sending in whitney and hemsky?




No, we have to take Salary from them.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  #48
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 500
I don't think Hemsky, Petry, PRV, and a 1st gets it done. Unfortunately having a lot of young talented players suck as Hall, Ebs, RNH, and Yak can be a disadvantage to you come trade talks.

You know that every single team is going to be asking for one of those 4 in return for any of their big assets. And for the Oilers it is not worth it to trade any of them...

The only way Weber gets moved to Edmonton is if one of them is in the deal coming back, whether we as Edmonton fans think it is fair or not, this will most certainly be the asking price.

I think Edmonton would be making a steal of a deal if they could get Weber over here for the original package and sign him to an extension, but unfortunately only a stupid GM trades Quality for Quantity...

Just think that if Weber gets offered sheeted they will get 4 1st round picks in return, now that is where you start your offer price at.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
  #49
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st


When has a deal like that ever happened since the Lindros trade?

Edit: Arpeggio posted the exact same thing above, heh.

Skm is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
  #50
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st
I'd go 2 firsts, Petry/Klefbom, Whitney, and Paajarvi

They won't want Hemsky and his salary.

Weber is ours. I feel it.

backhandsauce is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.