HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny+ for Joe Colborne+

Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Drij

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
How surprising.

A leafs fan is putting down Stastny after a laughable offer gets rejected. Really did not see that coming.

Newsflash: The only way you get Getzlaf is via UFA. And I don't see that happening.

You do not even have the assets to get Stastny.

How on earth can you believe you can make a reasonable offer for Getzlaf?
Leaf fans yelled at me the last time I said that.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Just because the Avs have two other good centers does not mean they want to get rid of Stastny. Proposals like these would work if they wanted to dump him, or if he was about to hit UFA and wouldn't re-sign. But the reality is that Colorado is happy to have Paul, and have no desire to move him at all.

That means that any offer would have to pry him away, not just match what he is worth. (not that this proposal even did that much)

Avs fans keep saying they could use a top pairing D, and a scoring winger. So players like Gunnarsson, Phaneuf and Kessel, JVR would be of interest. Not Franson, Holzer or MacArthur, Kadri.

I can't see a deal that would be of interest to the Avalanche that wouldn't gut a core piece from Toronto. So there probably isn't a deal to be made here. But for S's and G's, what forwards interest Avs fans aside from Kessel? And are you guys thin for prospects at any positions?

Last edited by Pheasant the peasant: 07-04-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added comment in brackets
Pheasant the peasant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Leaf fans yelled at me the last time I said that.
Avs are not going to trade Stastny for something just because that's his value, a trade has to fill a need for both teams. Avs' needs are a top 6 proven sniper(Kessel) or a proven top pairing defenseman, which the Leafs lack. Gardiner has potential but he sure as hell isn't proven.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
BarneyStinson

bad deal for the avs

BarneyStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Good luck finding that...6.4, 230 Ib centers who can put up around 90 points either A) Don't exist or B) Will cost a kings ransom, even if their team would even consider moving them.
It'd actually cost less than Stastny in terms of assets, I think. Trade for David Jones (Dartmouth), George Parros (Princeton), and Douglas Murray (Cornell). Jones could be had for a first. The last time Parros was traded, he fetched a second (though I doubt Burke would be that stupid. Ahem). Douglas Murray for Grabovski. Then they take their genius group of players and have them work on time travel and human cloning technology, then go back to get a sample of Eric Lindros' DNA to bring back. Win-win-win-win.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Not even close. Avalanche get robbed.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
That is not a lot that is a joke.

we dont need your depth players.

If you don't want to give up one of Gardiner, Kessel or Reilly you should stop proposing trades for Stastny....
I dunno. From a Rangers fan POV looking at it through leafs eyes, I wouldn't trade Kessel for Stastny straight up. Thats taking it a bit far. Gardiner would be the more likely, although I dunno if I even make that deal if I am the leafs. Stastny has had two very pedestrian years for as much as he is paid.

Curios though... what would it take from the Rangers? And don't say Stepan because he had 2 less than points than Stastny at about 1/8th of the contract.

07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I dunno. From a Rangers fan POV looking at it through leafs eyes, I wouldn't trade Kessel for Stastny straight up. Thats taking it a bit far. Gardiner would be the more likely, although I dunno if I even make that deal if I am the leafs. Stastny has had two very pedestrian years for as much as he is paid.
No one said Stastny is worth Kessel, the Avs would add for that obviously. The point is if Leafs fans don't want to give up quality pieces they won't be getting Stastny.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

When was the last time the Avs traded for depth instead of quality player or hockey trades?

Quincey for Downie was a hockey trade
McGinn for Galiardi+Winnik was an upgrade
Johnson for Shattenkirk+Stewart was to trade for a #1 D
Draft picks for Varlamov is an upgrade.

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
No one said Stastny is worth Kessel, the Avs would add for that obviously. The point is if Leafs fans don't want to give up quality pieces they won't be getting Stastny.
Well he didn't make that clear at all. It sounds just as ridiculous as what the OP proposed.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

No way Avs do this.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
I never said it would be fair value or that the Leafs should do that.

I just listed the pieces who would be of interest for the Avs.

It is not like we want to trade Stastny to TOR. In fact they are one of the worst trading partners for us.

I would not to Gardiner straight up. Stastny could fetch more than him. If not we should not trade him.

And he really was not as good the last 2 years. But if he were he would be on the level of Kopitar and maybe Getzlaf and therefore not attainable at all.

Part of his decline can be attributed to the revolving door of AHL wingers he was paired with. He should be better this year.

EDIT: Oh and Stepan would not nearly be enough.

I mean everyone wants to trade for Stastny the #1 C. But noone wants to give up value.

And everyone brings up his last 2 years to bring down his value while secretely believing that he can back to his PPG self. I mean look at his career PPG and compare it with other centers. You will be amazed and understand why we don't give him up for bad value.

Last edited by JoemAvs: 07-04-2012 at 03:51 PM.
JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
I'd like to add that Toronto already got our best centre for the whopping value of nothing, so you should be thankful for that instead of lowballing us for Stastny too.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Well he didn't make that clear at all. It sounds just as ridiculous as what the OP proposed.
If you don't want to give up one of Gardiner, Kessel or Reilly you should stop proposing trades for Stastny....

In no way did he imply it was a Kessel for Stastny straight up deal.

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
I never said it would be fair value or that the Leafs should do that.

I just listed the pieces who would be of interest for the Avs.

It is not like we want to trade Stastny to TOR. In fact they are one of the worst trading partners for us.

I would not to Gardiner straight up. Stastny could fetch more than him. If not we should not trade him.

And he really was not as good the last 2 years. But if he were he would be on the level of Kopitar and maybe Getzlaf and therefore not attainable at all.

Part of his decline can be attributed to the revolving door of AHL wingers he was paired with. He should be better this year.
Getzlaf? A guy who has had 80& 90+ point seasons? Something Stastny has never done? He's a good player but holy **** batman, talk about over rating.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Getzlaf? A guy who has had 90+ point seasons? Something Stastny has never done? He's a good player but holy **** batman, talk about over rating.

Man do you have the worst reading comprehension or what

Old
07-04-2012, 03:49 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Why would you want to trade Colborne? He's already better than Stastny ever will be.
What has Colborne proven that he is better than Stastney?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

In no way did he imply it was a Kessel for Stastny straight up deal.
I proposed what? Nothing. Im not a Toronto fan, stop making insinuations.

Old
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What has Colborne proven that he is better than Stastney?

Old
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
I proposed what? Nothing. Im not a Toronto fan, stop making insinuations.
That's a quote...

Old
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

Man do you have the worst reading comprehension or what
It has nothing to do with my reading comprehension as it is you making asinine statements. IF... IF IF IF... it means nothing because he didn't do it, therefore he is not on those players levels.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
It has nothing to do with my reading comprehension as it is you making asinine statements. IF... IF IF IF... it means nothing because he didn't do it, therefore he is not on those players levels.
No one ever said he was. The original poster said that if he was as good in his 2 past seasons as his first 3 then he would be. You managed to miss the point in every post you're responding to.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa View Post
Looking for thoughts on this. Would Colorado do this? Would Toronto? Does this actually help both clubs long term? Would any other team step up and pay more than this for Stastny?

Colorado Avalanche acquire:
C Joe Colborne, 22, $0.875M x 1
W Nikolai Kulemin, 26, RFA
W Clarke MacArthur, 27, $3.25M x 1

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire:
C Paul Stastny, 26, $6.6M x 2
W Milan Hejduk, 36, $2.0M x 1 (Colorado's option to include him or not)

--------------------------
Colorado:
-Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly gives Colorado three top-2 centers.
-Stastny has had back-to-back disappointing seasons (0.72PPG, previous 4 seasons 0.96PPG)
-Colorado adds youth, grit and a solid prospect who can play 2nd/3rd line center for 10+ years.

Toronto:
-Takes a gamble on Stastny with a high cap hit and average numbers the last two seasons. But he was an elite playmaking point-producer prior to that and is still young.
-Gives up a good prospect in Colborne, but with Stastny and Grabovski the Leafs are set at center for the next 5 years.

Colorado Avalanche:
Landeskog Duchene Parenteau
Jones O'Reilly Downie
MacArthur Colborne Kulemin
McGinn Mitchell Kobasew

Toronto Maple Leafs:
Lupul Stastny Kessel
JVR Grabovski Frattin
Kadri McClement Hejduk
Brown Steckel Lombardi
No. Colorado has no nedd nor desire to trade Stastny nor Hejduk.

Just forget about trying to acquire Stastny.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

So if Stastny was as good as Getzlaf and Kopitar the past few years he'd be as good as Getzlaf and Kopitar?

More BS doublespeak from Avs homers. To try to distort reality. If Stastny had put up 200 point seasons the past few years he'd be as good as Gretzky. The fact is he didn't.

At best Stastny would be worth a first rounder, decent but not blue chip prospect, and an overpaid roster player.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
No he is not. But he was on the same pace careerwise as them before he slowed down the last 2 years. He is 26. So there is no reason why he can't bounce back.

I mean Getzlaf had 5 more points in 3 more games last year.

Stastny will obviously not command Getzlaf value. He is not as good. But he still can not be had for minor pieces. And the only pieces in a trade with TOR that make a tiny bit of sense for the Avs would be Kessel, Reilly and Gardiner.

Those pieces are not worth the same and for Kessel we would have to add. But if you are a TOR fan and proposing anything besides them for Stastny and you are not completely mortgaging your future in the process, you probably have made a bad offer which does nothing for the Avs.

And I really would not trade Stastny for Stepan. Take a look at Stastny's career PPG and come back to me. He had 2 bad years. But he is 26. There is no reason why he should not bounce back and we obviously don't trade him for the value his recent production indicates. Same goes for Getzlaf. But there everyone gets it.

With Stastny noone seems to do.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote