HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Old
07-04-2012, 02:46 PM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Hold on, hold on, put the tar and feathers down! (Didnt see a Semin thread, sorry if one exists)

IF the Flyers could acquire Semin on a reasonable contract, would you take him to play wing with Giroux?

Here is why I mention this:

1) It would come at an obviously less cost then acquiring one of Nash or Ryan via trade. Are there other wingers out there potentially available for less then the supposed asking price of one of Schenn or Couts + ?

2) He would be dynamite with Giroux and has superb stats. Despite the flack he gets about effort on occassion, over the past 4 seasons he is 5th in the NHL with a plus 92. Avg of 68 points over that span, and 30 goals. while playing an avg of 70 games a year.

3) I think he would do well here. As we all know, he has been known to dog it on occassion, okay I get that. We also know that Lavy doesnt allow that. Comparing him to Zherdev is unfair as Zherdev didnt think he should have to change his game to get minutes in Philly, where as IMO Semin has at the least made an effort at both ends of the rink. As his +/- would indicate as well. Additionally, the coaches in Washington were pushovers, they let their players play however the hell they wanted, there was IMO little structure there. Him entering into a structured system may help.

What are you thoughts on what he would cost, and the term length he'd want.

If it was anything over 4 years I would be skeptical, but he is the most talented player that remains, and comes at the least cost from out roster.

Hartnell - Giroux - Semin
Schenn - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Couts - Read
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo/Sestito/Harry Z etc.

Thats a pretty potent offense and allows us to keep the young stars we want to see develop here, as well as retaining depth for any potential later move for a D-man.

Thoughts?
4)

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.
ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
laundryman

I'd only want him on a 1 year deal. If he behaves and performs well with G I'd be open to an extension, but I'd rather not commit 3 or 4 years to him considering how much people talk negatively of him.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Hold on, hold on, put the tar and feathers down! (Didnt see a Semin thread, sorry if one exists)

IF the Flyers could acquire Semin on a reasonable contract, would you take him to play wing with Giroux?

Here is why I mention this:

1) It would come at an obviously less cost then acquiring one of Nash or Ryan via trade. Are there other wingers out there potentially available for less then the supposed asking price of one of Schenn or Couts + ?

2) He would be dynamite with Giroux and has superb stats. Despite the flack he gets about effort on occassion, over the past 4 seasons he is 5th in the NHL with a plus 92. Avg of 68 points over that span, and 30 goals. while playing an avg of 70 games a year.

3) I think he would do well here. As we all know, he has been known to dog it on occassion, okay I get that. We also know that Lavy doesnt allow that. Comparing him to Zherdev is unfair as Zherdev didnt think he should have to change his game to get minutes in Philly, where as IMO Semin has at the least made an effort at both ends of the rink. As his +/- would indicate as well. Additionally, the coaches in Washington were pushovers, they let their players play however the hell they wanted, there was IMO little structure there. Him entering into a structured system may help.

What are you thoughts on what he would cost, and the term length he'd want.

If it was anything over 4 years I would be skeptical, but he is the most talented player that remains, and comes at the least cost from out roster.

Hartnell - Giroux - Semin
Schenn - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Couts - Read
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo/Sestito/Harry Z etc.

Thats a pretty potent offense and allows us to keep the young stars we want to see develop here, as well as retaining depth for any potential later move for a D-man.

Thoughts?
4)
I would guess he has similar KHL options to what Radulov had. As such, he might not take any discount. He has been called out as a bad teammate. I really want no part of him on the Flyers.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
ORYX

I believe the flyers have an abundance of character players in the room which I just don't see Washington having had. I believe he just needs more structure to be successful, from both and one ice and off ice perspective.

I do agree that he is a risky sign but I believe he wants to stay in the NHL or he would have already signed in the KHL. I don't like to compare him to the Zherdev's and Radulov's because he has been here from day 1, where as those guys bolted onlly to try things in the NHL again.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Teezax

This dude is no Flyer

Teezax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
I'd only want him on a 1 year deal. If he behaves and performs well with G I'd be open to an extension, but I'd rather not commit 3 or 4 years to him considering how much people talk negatively of him.
This. We all know that Lavy will not stand for effortless play (unless your name is Briere) regardless of how skilled you are. It would be like Zherdev all over again except you'll have to stick with him for several years. I know pierre mcguire is a bit of a moron but he does have a better idea about whats happening around the NHL then we do and I read the other day that he called him a "coach killer" which just makes me even more nervous.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
This. We all know that Lavy will not stand for effortless play (unless your name is Briere) regardless of how skilled you are. It would be like Zherdev all over again except you'll have to stick with him for several years. I know pierre mcguire is a bit of a moron but he does have a better idea about whats happening around the NHL then we do and I read the other day that he called him a "coach killer" which just makes me even more nervous.
I agree about the concern, but can we stop comparing him to Zherdev?

Quote:
Zherdev: 421 games, 115 goals, 146 assists, 261 points, -40 cumulative
Semin: 469 games, 197 goals, 211 assists, 408 points, + 65 cumulative
They are simply not in the same league as players.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:30 PM
ayshplaysh

I'll take Semin for 3 or 4 years really if he wants, just depends on the price.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:31 PM
CharlieGirl

After hearing an interview with Semin's agent, no thanks. It was basically a "let him play offense and none of that nonsensical defensive stuff, and let him play in all situations, or he's going to take his ball and go home to the KHL".

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
After hearing an interview with Semin's agent, no thanks. It was basically a "let him play offense and none of that nonsensical defensive stuff, and let him play in all situations, or he's going to take his ball and go home to the KHL".
Link?

That seems contradictory--if he wants to play in all situations, then it seems like he isn't interested in an offense-only role, no?

EDIT: If he's saying that Semin wants an up-tempo, high scoring system, then I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing--he never seemed a great fit for the Coyotes anyway.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Wait. Play in all situations but none of the nonsensical defensive stuff? What does that even mean. He wants to play PK? What just cherry pick at the red line and score that way? Ok. That makes sence. 15yr 256mil sound good?!

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
That was mostly in response to Hunter giving him 13 minutes a game even in games when they sorely needed offense.

He also indicated that he was pissed that they wouldn't let him play on the PK at all (even though he has traditionally been very good there since he's a master at intercepting passes and killing time dicking around in the neutral/offensive zones) or when they were trying to close out games. So basically defense first situations. Basically in his opinion caps management didn't think he was a real all situations player and didn't give him any chances to prove them wrong.

I read some Russian interviews he gave out a couple years ago and I remember him saying PK was his favorite thing to do since the offensive team has all the pressure on them and he can just let them overplay it and mindf*** themselves. Which he generally does.

If anything you should take it as a positive thing. He wants a chance at getting harder, more important minutes.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think it would suck to go from a class act like Jagr to a weiner like Semin. Plus I don't want that name on Flyers jersey.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I think it would suck to go from a class act like Jagr to a weiner like Semin. Plus I don't want that name on Flyers jersey.
You must either be young, or have a very short memory.

While Jagr's work ethic was never called into question in the same way (quite the contrary)--he was hardly a consistent model of two-way effort, and relatively few Flyers fans in the 1990s would have regarded the guy as a "class act."

Old
07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'd love to see Alex Semin in the Flyers orange and black. The only problem, and I've stated this numerous times, is that his agent Mark Gandler is notorious for trying to dictate to GMs how to do their jobs. He's also notorious for advising clients to hold out and is known to cause trouble if he feels that his clients aren't getting enough ice time, puck time, playing on the PP or PK, etc......Alex Semin is perfectly fine, it's the agent that's the problem.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Semin is a crap locker room presence, hates the media (how does that usually go in Philly?), is a known partier (how does that usually go in Philly?), and has been called lazy by former teammates and anyone who has watched him do his month long disappearing acts.

1 year, 3 mil. Since it's likely he'll end up as a healthy scratch under Lavi, it's best not to waste too much cap space on him.

The guy has all the talent to be one of the best players in the world. He lacks the work ethic or focus to do it, according to people who have played with him. No thanks.

07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Semin is a crap locker room presence, hates the media (how does that usually go in Philly?), is a known partier (how does that usually go in Philly?), and has been called lazy by former teammates and anyone who has watched him do his month long disappearing acts.
It would have been interesting to put Semin and Jagr on the same team for a year--given what Meltzer said about Jagr's relationship to Bob (as one of the two Russian-speaking players on the team) and his impact on the younger guys on our roster.

I can't help but wonder if Semin wouldn't have benefited from a presence like that a few years ago.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
It would have been interesting to put Semin and Jagr on the same team for a year--given what Meltzer said about Jagr's relationship to Bob (as one of the two Russian-speaking players on the team) and his impact on the younger guys on our roster.

I can't help but wonder if Semin wouldn't have benefited from a presence like that a few years ago.
It would certainly have been a better influence than Ovechkin. He likely would have benefited greatly from a mentor like Jagr.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
mirimon

Quote:

While Jagr's work ethic was never called into question in the same way (quite the contrary)--he was hardly a consistent model of two-way effort, and relatively few Flyers fans in the 1990s would have regarded the guy as a "class act."
True. It was always remarkable how much more involved he was defensively when he put on the Czech jersey than he was in the NHL back in those days.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I really want Semin. Options are becoming thin, and to me it's him or Mueller. Both high risk high reward players.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

I'm not young and my memory is just fine. I couldn't care less about the Jagr from the 90's. From the second he made his way to Philly he was nothing but classy right down to how he built up his teammates once he signed elsewhere. His conditioning was stellar and he always had a smile on his face and spent a lot of time with the fans. In case you haven't noticed it is 12 years past the 90's. I suppose using your logic we shouldn't want Couts either since he was pooping his pants in the 90's.

I also have no idea how his 2 way play or lack thereof has anything to do with my post. Semin whines almost every time a mic is put in front of him and there have been several articles written on how much of a lockerroom problem he can be.

If the point of your post was to point out that since Jagr grew up so can Semin, then I agree but I'd rather he did so elsewhere.

You are bang on that in the 90's I didn't consider him to be a class act, but i sure do now and wish him nothing but the best in Dallas.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post

If the point of your post was to point out that since Jagr grew up so can Semin, then I agree but I'd rather he did so elsewhere.

You are bang on that in the 90's I didn't consider him to be a class act, but i sure do now and wish him nothing but the best in Dallas.
Yeah, this was basically what I was saying.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:50 PM
turkinaa

Semin would be fine if and only if the price is right. Of course it all depends on if we get Ryan and if we resign Carle. Semin seems to be the cheaper option in theway of giving up assets and overall contract cost.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:35 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I agree about the concern, but can we stop comparing him to Zherdev?

They are simply not in the same league as players.
Maybe not in terms of production but from what I understand in terms of personality and work ethic. Being as though zherdev was the only player on the flyers coached by Lavy to have at least a similar personality to Semin I think the comparison still stands.

But obvioisly i personally can't speak to his work ethic or anything. I can only go by what I've read but that's the only thing that any of us have to go by.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
SgtJoseph

I say sign him now ! and bring this cat back as well ! Is not Pro-Hockey all about entertainment ? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEdhGS5cgo

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote