HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
"Winnipeg Jets sign Al Montoya to one-year deal worth $601,000"

as per LeBrun

Can't believe the Rangers let him go...
That extra grand that Winnipeg offered him helped sway his decision

Old
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
All this talk of offer sheets and giving up mutliple assets is unnecessary.

This guy is most likely going to want to choose his own destiny. He is committing to NO ONE, before he decides what he wants to do. And that, I believe is why he will become ufa before he does anything.

So keep the assets, pack Katz, Mact, Hall, Lowe, Tambo and Krueger into the private jet, and fly down to Ontario to make a pitch with the other 28 teams that will be there doing the same thing.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I love that the "Jets" have owned him, twice...sort of.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
So Weber not having a multi-year deal should have more value?
Huh?

The opposite I would say. But there are other factors to consider such as age as well, but an unsigned Weber is not as valuable as Pronger with five years left on his deal imo.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
edit: nevermind :p

Old
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

This guy is most likely going to want to choose his own destiny. He is committing to NO ONE, before he decides what he wants to do. And that, I believe is why he will become ufa before he does anything.

So keep the assets, pack Katz, Mact, Hall, Lowe, Tambo and Krueger into the private jet, and fly down to Ontario to make a pitch with the other 28 teams that will be there doing the same thing.
This is my thinking as well. In order to lure him, we need to get more competitive this coming season. We need to upgrade Sutton/Potter/Peckham in the worst way.

Old
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
If I were him I'd buy a thousand dollars worth of Lottery tickets. His odds of winning something would greatly improve.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Didn't really get Gregor. Says Weber is the guy he'd take for the next 6 years over any other NHL d-man, but wouldn't do the offer sheet because we don't have depth. If the guy is that good don't you take him and hope you acquire depth elsewhere?

Old
07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
wingnut83

Quote:
Not if he is a pending ufa. No way, no how. And that is how I think it will play out. Weber will be dealt to someone, sans extension, and the Predators are going to take a bath.
I agree. Poile is @ a major disadvantage here. Not only that but what just happened with Suter will mind **** him for sure and he will not go through this again and lose a high end player for nothing. He will get good return for Webber but from the Oiler perspective it wont need to include the big 4. Any combo of 2 or 3 of Gagner, PRV, Klefbomb Petry Marincin, Musil ETC should get it done throw in a pick or 2. The problem is the Oilers GM has not shown he can pull something like this off (no balls or creativity). Even still that is allot to give up if you cant get him signed.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:17 PM
jsho

Quote:
Huh?

The opposite I would say. But there are other factors to consider such as age as well, but an unsigned Weber is not as valuable as Pronger with five years left on his deal imo.
No thats what I meant. Signed Pronger > Unsigned Weber.

I was orignally saying that the return for Weber should be less than what Prongers return. Not above it.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
No thats what I meant. Signed Pronger > Unsigned Weber.

I was orignally saying that the return for Weber should be less than what Prongers return. Not above it.
I agree. Something along the lines of what Kovalchuk got in return.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Not even close.

Do people not value passing and hockey sense anymore? Weber is probably the best dman in the league at dominating guys along the boards but he doesn't really have a great passing game. As for hockey sense, he thinks the game pretty well from a defensive point of view, but he doesn't have great offensive instincts.

Give me Doughty over Weber any day.
Yet he somehow finds a way to score 15 goals a year and get 40+ points.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
In the argument of giving up picks vs. prospects/picks/players, I'd most probably choose picks.

While I have no problem trading guys like Petry for a guy like Weber, I really really don't want to hope we go after another top-4 D-man.

If Weber says I'm very interested in re-signing with you guys after a year, and gives some sort of guarantee, I'd definitely be ok giving up 4 1st round picks.

This lineup with Weber is a 6-7-8 seed playoff team imo.

Regards to lack of prospects or whatever (due to loss of 1st rounders), we'd probably have to sell of a few players, Hemsky for example, to get some breathing room cap wise. Chances are it would be for prospects/picks for the most part. Replenishing some of the lost prospects.

Of course this is all a hypothetical, but Weber would be a dream. We're talking about a top-5 D-man in the NHL. Who is still only 27 and has a good 5-7 years of high play left in him. I honestly couldn't give a crap about 4 10-20 range 1st round picks(and that's worst case scenario imo).

07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Huh?

Definitely agree with IATL on this topic.

Not sure spending assets on an unsigned weber is wise. Now a signed weber.....you've got my attention.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
swany

Quote:

the point here is it's time now because those 13 year deals could be a thing of the past after the new cba, Weber might want in on the 13 100 mil and he might not be able to get that when he's a UFA this is the whole point. maybe he wants that money and doesn't want it in Nashville get it

Old
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

As much stock as we are putting into the need for a #1 defenseman, we should be also thinking about a goaltender. I'm not very convinced Dubnyk is the answer going forward long term.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I must say that Howson has done a great job with handling Nash.

He didn't make a knee jerk reaction at the deadline or draft and accept a lesser deal.

Now that 28 other teams struck out on Suter and Parise I really think that will up the price for Nash. CLB is a long way from competition but this single trade could really help them along as well as clear up cap space.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
As much stock as we are putting into the need for a #1 defenseman, we should be also thinking about a goaltender. I'm not very convinced Dubnyk is the answer going forward long term.
Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood won cups behind Nik Lidstrom, Goaltending just needs to be "good enough" when you have that kind of talent in front of it, Dubnyk seems to be atleast that right now.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Our problem is team defense play and problems with commitment to staying in a system.

Both of our guys had over a .910 save percentage last year. I don't think any one is going to come in here and save us until the whole team buys in to saving themselves.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

He didn't make a knee jerk reaction at the deadline or draft and accept a lesser deal.

Now that 28 other teams struck out on Suter and Parise I really think that will up the price for Nash. CLB is a long way from competition but this single trade could really help them along as well as clear up cap space.
I wouldn't say he did a great job yet, because he could end up with a worse package than what has been offered at the TDD/Draft.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Our problem is team defense play and problems with commitment to staying in a system.

Both of our guys had over a .910 save percentage last year. I don't think any one is going to come in here and save us until the whole team buys in to save themselves.
If we rely on BOTH of our guys this year, Seth Jones will be in Copper and Blue.

Dubnyk may be good enough. Khabibulin as a starter scares me.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:40 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post

Yep, he's in no rush. I love it. And if the season comes around with no deal he likes he can tell Rick to get on the ice or go home.

It's what we should have done with Pronger.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
If we rely on BOTH of our guys this year, Seth Jones will be in Copper and Blue.

Dubnyk may be good enough. Khabibulin as a starter scares me.
I think Dubnyk is going to get a chance to be the man this year this time. I'd be surprised if Khabby played more than 20-25 games.

Question is what do they pay Dubnyk this off season? Hope it's not an overpay in money or term.

Speaking of pay, I like the fact that the Oilers aren't saddled to any ridiculously long contracts anymore. Even the Horcoff one is at a liveable 3 years now. Washing themselves of the 06 hangover is complete. We'll be in a great position to be flexible and keep whoever we really want to over the next 3 years.

Last edited by plikestechno: 07-04-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Has a team ever offer sheeted a player for the purpose of helping the other team out and getting an asset for it? For example, Oilers send an 10 year/80 million offer sheet to Weber, but Nashville matches it (the Oilers knew they would), and Nashville in turn takes a bad contract or sends an asset to Edmonton for doing so.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wouldn't say he did a great job yet, because he could end up with a worse package than what has been offered at the TDD/Draft.
Yeah I was going to say assuming he gets a solid return, which I really think he will now. He created more demand for his player than there previously was.

Closed Thread