HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012! Part 2

Old
07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
1) Parise's wife (or fiance) is from Minnesota.
2) Parise is from Minnesota and played his whole junior career there.
3) Parise's wife (or fiance) is still from Minnesota.
4) $$$$
5) State of hockey.
6) Parise's wife (or fiance) is from Minnesota? Did I mention it already?
7) Wonderful place to raise a family.
8) Competitive team with a bright future.
9) Owner with deep pockets.
10) $$$$
11) The wife? Yeah, I think I said it already.
12) morris day and the time

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Erick

I have no idea why people think Tallon would even want Semin.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I have no idea why people think Tallon would even want Semin.
To score goals.

It's how you win games.

Check out the devil board...they're begging, pleading for him.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Cosmonaut

I've seen (give or take) about 90% of Caps games since Semin joined the team. It's safe to say, I've seen a lot of Semin. He's probably the only player I've said "You freaking idiot, what the heck are you doing?!" and then 3 minutes later say "YESSS! I freaking love you!". There is no question that Semin is a hard player to peg, but these TSN guys really have no idea what they are talking about.
First thing is first: Semin is not lazy. These TSN guys should look in the mirror if they want to call someone lazy. Instead of doing factual analysis on their subject, they base their claims on stereotypes and bias. Pathetic journalism if you ask me.
Moving on to real analysis. Here is what you can expect if Semin is on your team next year:
  • I think his biggest issue is decision making. So many times he gives up a fantastic shot opportunity for a pass. That will be the most frustrating thing about his game. He can create for himself and others, but doesn't necessarily know when it's best to do either.
  • He can pass REALLY well, but sometimes he passes too often.
  • Holy cow, can he dish a great saucer pass. It really is a beauty to behold.
  • It's no secret that he's got an amazing wrist shot (maybe the best in NHL), but his slap shot is incredibly accurate too.
  • Some games he'll take 12 shots, the next he'll take 2. You NEVER know which Semin (shooting or passing) will show up. You just pray and hope it's the Semin that the team needs for that particular game.
  • He is aggressive on the back check. Sometimes TOO aggressive, which leads to...
  • Bad penalties! Semin has a knack for getting slashing, holding, tripping calls right around the blue line on either end of the ice. Semin likes to strip the puck from the D as they try to exit their zone or from the O as they gain entry near the boards. Sometimes he'll take a bad angle, can't keep up or hack a few too many times and get nailed for 2 minutes. Classic Semin penalty.
  • He has great puck control and can create amazing opportunities for himself and his teammates, but...
  • He can and will hold on to the puck far too long, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because he is trying create when he should just dump it deep.
  • In many ways, Semin is a high risk, high reward player. He'll make a crazy skilled pass that results in a goal. His next shift he'll leave a drop pass to be stolen that everyone saw coming a mile away. IF the pass connects then your team has a great opportunity, but ultimately making the pass was a bad idea. I've seen a lot less of this recently, which makes me sad that he probably won't be a Cap next year.
  • He doesn't like to fight, but did take up drums as a hobby.
  • He isn't as good as you'd expect in the Shoot Out. He has amazing hands, so he can go forehand or back hand (sometimes he even takes a slap shot), but most of the time he comes in at one speed: fast. He doesn't use any sort of delay to give him more time after baiting the goalie. Also, he doesn't bait the goalie as much as you'd expect coming from a guy with hands like Semin's. He comes in fast and goes forehand to backhand or vice versa. If the goalie can keep up and seal off the angle, it's an easy stop.
  • He can speak english, but pretends not to because he does not like being in the spotlight, which means he very hard to "get to know". In other words: he is boring off the ice (from a fan's perspective). I'm sure he's a cool dude if you know him.
  • He is pretty good along the boards, but some games he won't go near them. Another super frustrating aspect of his game.
  • Semin's body has taken a beating these past few years so expect some injuries. Also...
  • Don't expect him to be laying out in front of shots unless it's the playoffs, but he will try to get a stick on it.

There you have it. I did try to keep this as unbiased as possible, but I am a Caps fan, so take it with however many grains of salt you take with your savory info-bits from anons on the internet.

Thought this was a good summary of Semin. There's a lot of misconceptions about him that float around. It might be helpful to some people.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
I've seen (give or take) about 90% of Caps games since Semin joined the team. It's safe to say, I've seen a lot of Semin. He's probably the only player I've said "You freaking idiot, what the heck are you doing?!" and then 3 minutes later say "YESSS! I freaking love you!". There is no question that Semin is a hard player to peg, but these TSN guys really have no idea what they are talking about.
First thing is first: Semin is not lazy. These TSN guys should look in the mirror if they want to call someone lazy. Instead of doing factual analysis on their subject, they base their claims on stereotypes and bias. Pathetic journalism if you ask me.
Moving on to real analysis. Here is what you can expect if Semin is on your team next year:
  • I think his biggest issue is decision making. So many times he gives up a fantastic shot opportunity for a pass. That will be the most frustrating thing about his game. He can create for himself and others, but doesn't necessarily know when it's best to do either.
  • He can pass REALLY well, but sometimes he passes too often.
  • Holy cow, can he dish a great saucer pass. It really is a beauty to behold.
  • It's no secret that he's got an amazing wrist shot (maybe the best in NHL), but his slap shot is incredibly accurate too.
  • Some games he'll take 12 shots, the next he'll take 2. You NEVER know which Semin (shooting or passing) will show up. You just pray and hope it's the Semin that the team needs for that particular game.
  • He is aggressive on the back check. Sometimes TOO aggressive, which leads to...
  • Bad penalties! Semin has a knack for getting slashing, holding, tripping calls right around the blue line on either end of the ice. Semin likes to strip the puck from the D as they try to exit their zone or from the O as they gain entry near the boards. Sometimes he'll take a bad angle, can't keep up or hack a few too many times and get nailed for 2 minutes. Classic Semin penalty.
  • He has great puck control and can create amazing opportunities for himself and his teammates, but...
  • He can and will hold on to the puck far too long, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because he is trying create when he should just dump it deep.
  • In many ways, Semin is a high risk, high reward player. He'll make a crazy skilled pass that results in a goal. His next shift he'll leave a drop pass to be stolen that everyone saw coming a mile away. IF the pass connects then your team has a great opportunity, but ultimately making the pass was a bad idea. I've seen a lot less of this recently, which makes me sad that he probably won't be a Cap next year.
  • He doesn't like to fight, but did take up drums as a hobby.
  • He isn't as good as you'd expect in the Shoot Out. He has amazing hands, so he can go forehand or back hand (sometimes he even takes a slap shot), but most of the time he comes in at one speed: fast. He doesn't use any sort of delay to give him more time after baiting the goalie. Also, he doesn't bait the goalie as much as you'd expect coming from a guy with hands like Semin's. He comes in fast and goes forehand to backhand or vice versa. If the goalie can keep up and seal off the angle, it's an easy stop.
  • He can speak english, but pretends not to because he does not like being in the spotlight, which means he very hard to "get to know". In other words: he is boring off the ice (from a fan's perspective). I'm sure he's a cool dude if you know him.
  • He is pretty good along the boards, but some games he won't go near them. Another super frustrating aspect of his game.
  • Semin's body has taken a beating these past few years so expect some injuries. Also...
  • Don't expect him to be laying out in front of shots unless it's the playoffs, but he will try to get a stick on it.

There you have it. I did try to keep this as unbiased as possible, but I am a Caps fan, so take it with however many grains of salt you take with your savory info-bits from anons on the internet.

Thought this was a good summary of Semin. There's a lot of misconceptions about him that float around. It might be helpful to some people.
So basically the first,exciting player since Bure. Score goals, sell tickets, win games.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
To score goals.

It's how you win games.

I get that.
I just don't understand why people think the Panthers/Tallon would overpay a guy who was recently called a "coach killer" in the free agency frenzy special on NHL Network.

For all his talent, he scored 21 goals last year playing alongside more talented players.

He doesn't even represent a team need, per say; we need a center much more than we need another winger.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Erick

I also don't understand why people think Semin would want to sign here. We have one Russian player on the team who is younger than he is. Doesn't seem like a fit at all.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
To score goals.

It's how you win games.

No, what we need is 3rd and 4th liner with caracter that are Tallon guys.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:05 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
I get that.
I just don't understand why people think the Panthers/Tallon would overpay a guy who was recently called a "coach killer" in the free agency frenzy special on NHL Network.

For all his talent, he scored 21 goals last year playing alongside more talented players.

He doesn't even represent a team need, per say; we need a center much more than we need another winger.

Well to be fair, those guys are morons.. There is a reason Crawford is sitting up there for "free agent frenzy" and not getting ready for training camp.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:05 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I get that.

I agree with you I don't think tallon will overpay for him, doesnt stop me from dreaming of a player who when he has the puck I will hold my breathe.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Well to be fair, those guys are morons.. There is a reason Crawford is sitting up there for "free agent frenzy" and not getting ready for training camp.
Seriously, giving those idiots any credit is hilarious.

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
He's going to coach in Suisse if I remember correctly.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Semin is one dimensional, doesn't mean we wont take him. So are guys like Kane, Nash, Briere, Kovalchuck, Gaborik, Vanek, Spezza

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Just letting you guys know, but Evgenii Dadonov signed in the KHL

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I want Semin so bad but I think it's near impossible considering how many teams are looking at him. I predict Detroit or New Jersey because of Russian connection.

DT would make him the big dog here. Come ON Tallon!!!!! Please man! Mueller and Semin!!!!

At least SOMEONE I can look forward to. Kuba and Parros don't exactly peak my interests.

With that said, I can't wait for Hubs!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Sports24-7

Thanks for the scouting report Cosmonaut.

I think Semin brings a lot of what the Panthers need. They badly need a scoring threat and that's what he is. The Panthers also have a lot of money to spend and not a ton of roster spots to spend it on. IMO, that allows them to take the risk of giving a player like Semin big money.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:40 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I wouldn't want Semin if we already had someone who could put up his kind of points, but we kind of need him... I think it would make the team a lot better and hopefully we can change his attitude (not saying we would if we got him), I would like guys like Wellwood and Mueller over him to be honest.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
I also don't understand why people think Semin would want to sign here. We have one Russian player on the team who is younger than he is. Doesn't seem like a fit at all.
money talks. give him more money or more term than others are offering and he will sign here.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
money talks. give him more money or more term than others are offering and he will sign here.
I don't think he is worth anything over 6. He will probably get 6.5-7.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I don't think he is worth anything over 6. He will probably get 6.5-7.
id give him 7 if the deal is short term(2-3 yrs max) we have the cap space/budget for it. tallon just doesnt seem to want to be locked in to long term deals on players who arent in our "core"... hence why we let garrison go and replaced him with kuba at 2 years instead of 6.

semins a great player... but a bit enigmatic to be included in anyones core financial structure. too risky.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Main thing Panthers fans are constantly thinking about before October:

Huberdeau better be pretty damn dynamic and effective this year or
our offense is probably going to struggle again.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
You know, I usually don't care about big name free agents because I know we can't sign them.

But when a team like Minnesota signs both big names FAs, it kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

When do we get that joyous moment where we get to have a big name come here? ****ing Minnesota man? Seriously?
Had that moment when we traded for Pavel Bure.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Maybe I'm in a minority, but even if there were no additional signings, I'd be pretty excited to see Huberdeau, Bjudstad & Howden next year. I'd be excited to watch Gudbranson developing into a wrecking ball.

I'd be excited if we signed a Semin, but honestly it would be just as likely to be a bust as a boon.
Substitute interesting for exciting and I would agree with you. Growing pains are interesting but also frustrating. Gudbranson didn't exactly play that well first half of the season.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Main board parise thread very entertaining....especially after one fan called the devils, with kovlavhuck as captain and financial issues, " the new Atlanta thrashers" ....

Old
07-04-2012, 06:17 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Substitute interesting for exciting and I would agree with you. Growing pains are interesting but also frustrating. Gudbranson didn't exactly play that well first half of the season.
Forwards can fit in and produce more quickly than defensemen, but I see where you are coming from.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote