HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so...you are suggesting that there was a contract that mcphee could have offered either of those players, who were talking to each other about their choice, would have signed?

@halpy: those reversals are entertaining. if semin is locked at loaded with his next team and a force, then you will likely see much the same sort of 180 around here from those that said they wanted him gone....just gone. just wait
What's even more entertaining is that they've now taken to blaming Ovechkin being a horrible leader and example to Semin's "attitude problems". IE the way more mature and leadery Ilya Kovalchuk can mentor him into becoming a true winner.

Not that Kovalchuk is a loser or anything, but it's hilarious.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Cap space doesn't win Stanley cups. Ribeiro is likely a 1 year rental, Kuznetsov is not coming for another 2 years. Forsberg probably won't be an impact player in the next 2 seasons either. On top of that we don't really have good UFA options to improved our blue line.

At this point I think I would pay Semin to keep him here. Otherwise in 2013 we might end up with nothing.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Well...Poti's groin wasn't shredded when he got his extension, Kolzig got a two-year extension in the middle of the rebuilding when he was 35 and posting a .910 save percentage with said rebuilding team, and I'm not sure which draftee you're referring to (it wasn't AnGus).
I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but Poti had missed time due to groin injuries 3 or 4 times prior to signing his extension. The draftee is Johansson.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

There is a short term top-6 (RW) hole there even if GMGM plans to have Forsberg/Kuznetsov here in the future.

I think it's obvious.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but Poti had missed time due to groin injuries 3 or 4 times prior to signing his extension. The draftee is Johansson.
Eakin also had a concussion history.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Also I think MJ had 2 concussions prior to draft. IDK why I think 2 but so says my memory.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
LetsGoBears

So the Wild may actually not fall off the face of earth next year? Still don't see them being more then bottom playoff team currenrly.

Also like to note the contract "rules" are ********. If I'm Lou, I'm screaming because a difference of 11 million between high/low years and term is a cap avoidance contract. Once again the NHL spineless rules do very little to nothing to stop the actions they were created for.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I like how McPhee/Leonsis are telling us "to trade is better than to overpay for FA". I don't see major trade baits in our system besides Schultz/Erskine (low value) and next year draft picks.

What we can trade with realistically?

Old
07-04-2012, 05:19 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Cap space doesn't win Stanley cups. Ribeiro is likely a 1 year rental, Kuznetsov is not coming for another 2 years. Forsberg probably won't be an impact player in the next 2 seasons either. On top of that we don't really have good UFA options to improved our blue line.

At this point I think I would pay Semin to keep him here. Otherwise in 2013 we might end up with nothing.
If Ribeiro was a rental, what are they going to do next year? I don't see MoJo ever being a high quality 2C in comparison to Ribeiro. In fact, MoJo might never be 2C material at all, it is all conjecture at this point. I hope that if he plays well they can retain him for a similar price or cheaper.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
I like how McPhee/Leonsis are telling us "to trade is better than to overpay for FA". I don't see major trade baits in our system besides Schultz/Erskine (low value) and next year draft picks.

And that's the rub with this whole build through the draft and trades strategy. The Caps don't have the necessary depth to make too many impact trades because they haven't done well enough in the FA market.

I'd think guys like Kundratek and Perreault would be the best candidates, but I'm not sure how much value they have.

I'd explore Schultz/Erskine + a mid level prospect or pick for Setoguchi.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Also I think MJ had 2 concussions prior to draft. IDK why I think 2 but so says my memory.
I'm sorry, it was three concussions per Gare Joyce.

Regardless, this franchise isn't risk averse in committing to players. They just make stupid choices when taking risks.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Well, sorry to those who harbored hopes of getting either of those guys, but at least Pens didn't get them. Although if they get Semin... lol.

One other thing -- so normally, I'm in the front ranks of bashing Caps for letting players walk for nothing. But I guess, Parise and Suter.. walked for nothing, eh? The great Lamoriello got a big fat nothing for Parise... .. I just don't understand these NHL GM's. You have a star that's likely to leave, you can get a truckload of assets for him in a trade to cushion or even exceed (long term) his absence, but no, you hold on gambling on him magically changing his mind. It's absurd..
You are completely overlooking the fact that the Devils racked up 14 wins in the playoffs this year. They very nearly won it all.

As a GM, you aren't keeping the player because you hope to sign him later. You certainly might also want to sign him later, but that's not the primary reason you keep him.

You keep him because you play to win the game.

There are no awards for winning the annual Asset Management Derby. There are prizes for winning hockey games, and series, and championships.

Lamoriello kept Parise because while he might lose him for nothing, he might also win a Cup with him in the fold, this year. That is why teams keep pending UFAs. That's why teams trade for pending UFAs. Next year will take care of itself.

This is the same reason why Nashville decided to keep Suter. They thought they had a solid chance to win a Cup. NJ got a lot closer than the Predators in the end. Both felt they were contenders in February.

When you are always getting something for soon-to-be expiring assets, never deviating from that philosophy, you are forever looking ahead to next year, to three years from now, to a five-year plan. Sometimes, you also want to see your GM go for it.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
If we plan to use Laich as a checking C I see him as a logical choice to trade. Sell him as saving a GM a second contract, jock of all trades, proven scoring line winger, potential captain et al.

With inflation his contract may be cheap a few years from now, but to me he is overpaid to be a checking center. Lets roll Beagle instead and suffer through the 10 less goals somehow. Getting someone with better faceoff numbers should help that a bit.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
aquablue

Quote:

I don't rate MoJo as ever being anything very effective, so I'd start with him only if we can get a player like Ryan or Nash back. Laich is another valuable trading piece.

We can entertain trading one of Orlov, Green, Galiev, Neuvirth, and rights to Kuznetsov, Wilson, Forsberg.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

RE: The day's free agency news, I'm elated for a solid hockey market that should enjoy more success in Minnesota. Those cap hits are reasonable. This comes down to ownership's willingness to shell out big bucks, both imediately ($10M + $10M today) and also in the next 12-18 months (a total of about $45M for those two, I believe).

Most importantly, no team in the East gets a lot better. Yes, that starts with the Penguins, but there are a few others that didn't need to be adding an elite player either.

There are certainly other free agents out there, but most of them have warts.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Halpysback

Suter I have no issue with signing so long, I think he's gonna hold up as well as anybody, but I kinda wonder if Parise may start falling off the face of the earth in 5 years or so. He seems to have the same thing as Richards going against him - small guy playing a big man's game in the trenches. That's a ton of wear and tear. Richards already is showing signs of it and he plays a lot more physical than Parise, but I can't help but think that Parise will head the same way.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If we plan to use Laich as a checking C I see him as a logical choice to trade. Sell him as saving a GM a second contract, jock of all trades, proven scoring line winger, potential captain et al.
As it stands now Laich is our 2nd best winger.

PS: Imagine OV is injured.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
artilector

Quote:

I don't know, it's borderline delusional. Let's draft well so we can spend half the prospects on trades to shore up the roster, and the other half we'll develop and either pay them like UFAs, anyway, or let them walk for nothing. But UFA? Horrible idea, because almost every time we try to get a decent player there, we "invent" the crap out of him and end up with a bad contract. Other good teams seem to do just fine in UFA, but let's not think about that.

/rant

To trade for a good player, Caps would most likely have to open up a hole(s) somewhere else and quite likely overpay.. So they should get a relatively crap player, and those are still available in free agency.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
artilector

Quote:

..tires will continue to get changed, no matter what.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

We had Chimera score 20 goals. That's 17 less than Ovechkin. We'll use our own guys

I wonder how much more Ovie will score this year now that teams can use all their best shutdown players to shadow his every second on the ice.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I wonder how much more Ovie will score this year now that teams can use all their best shutdown players to shadow his every second on the ice.
GMGM: One should never underestimate Oates' Jedi tricks.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
RE: The day's free agency news, I'm elated for a solid hockey market that should enjoy more success in Minnesota. Those cap hits are reasonable. This comes down to ownership's willingness to shell out big bucks, both imediately ($10M + $10M today) and also in the next 12-18 months (a total of about $45M for those two, I believe).

Most importantly, no team in the East gets a lot better. Yes, that starts with the Penguins, but there are a few others that didn't need to be adding an elite player either.

There are certainly other free agents out there, but most of them have warts.
It's funny because the Wild are currently a 7-10 team in the West, imo. Trades, Nash and Semin are far from done, but the teams in the East are weaker if none of those happen in the East. Ribs, Crabb and Hillen are looking solid atm.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:48 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

With inflation his contract may be cheap a few years from now, but to me he is overpaid to be a checking center. Lets roll Beagle instead and suffer through the 10 less goals somehow. Getting someone with better faceoff numbers should help that a bit.
I'd do that...yesterday, but odds are low, IMO. I think Laich is the kind of player a young team might be interested in giving up a good prospect for.. but if you're talking about a good top-6 player, I doubt Laich can be the best player in a package.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
We had Chimera score 20 goals. That's 17 less than Ovechkin. We'll use our own guys

Teams play their best shutdown players against Ovi either way. A dangerous 2nd line won't change that, but it will provide the much needed scoring when Ovi struggles.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
No one wants semin
....well, I'd have to ask my wife...

Closed Thread