HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2012, 11:51 AM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
With them signing Prust, Nokes, Armstrong and Bluden, it sure looks like Gomez is on his way out.

Gomez is not good enough to play a significant offensive role anymore. He's not better than DD or Plek or Eller. He's also a terrible winger so that's not an option. He's also not a 4th line type player.

The only way that I could envision him still in the lineup is as the 3rd line center with Eller moving to the wing. But is that really a good proposition. NO.

Even if you disregard his cap hit completely, what's his place in the lineup. Send him to Hamilton and if DD, Plek or Eller gets a significant injury, then call him up and he would be a decent replacement that you're paying anyways.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Long Sky

trading gomez

Can this idea work?

Tarde gomez to a team that needs to reach the cap minimum, for a 7th round pick. If he doesn't work out then that team could trade him back, after a specific time period, for a 5th round pick. Then Mtl. could send him to hamilton. The other team has nothing to loose, kinda like test driving the car before buying. Could this work?

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post
Can this idea work?

Tarde gomez to a team that needs to reach the cap minimum, for a 7th round pick. If he doesn't work out then that team could trade him back, after a specific time period, for a 5th round pick. Then Mtl. could send him to hamilton. The other team has nothing to loose, kinda like test driving the car before buying. Could this work?
There's been a trade like it before but you'll never see it happen without shenanigans being called these days.
Also, why would we want him back if "he doesn't work out" for the other team?

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post
Can this idea work?

A team that needs to hit the cap floor can spend money on other players, like offering 10 million to Semin for example. Gomez is not only a bad cap hit but also a bad player

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Plekanec and Perezhogin played in the 03/04 for a few games but those were not Gainey years. I can agree that they would have played during the lockout year but being 22 and 21 entering the league isn't rushing it in development.

SK played up and down from Hamilton at 20 and 21 for 50 games a piece and played awesomely, check out the old threads where everyone decries Gainey for not playing him the whole season at a time and ruining him for it....I was one of em that agreed.

In the end, Gainey is an easy target for a lot of fans mainly because he's no longer with the organization and he was dealt a bad hand by fans in the last year and his consultant time...also for getting the guy that we're currently talking about.

I'm on the get rid of Gomez bandwagon. He eats up valuable time that others could be playing. Put Leblanc in instead
After SK started the season in Hamilton, he got called up I think in November or December and stayed with the team til the end of the season, so I call that pretty much full-time. And he was 20. The next year, he went down for a while to do a little more growing up.

People forget so easy the good things Gainey did. Our team had no talent and no prospects when he came in. He made some bad moves (a horrible one I'll get to in the next paragrah). But he rebuilt our prospect depth at least while always trying to be competitive. Gauthier on the other hand kept trading our picks for immediate success. Trading a pick now and then isn't a big deal. Never acquiring a pick or acquiring lessor ones is a bigger deal. Before this year, we went 3 years without a 2nd round pick. Imagine Serge Savard going without 2nd round picks for 3 years. You can subtract at least one cup. He built his teams with second rounders.

(Now the bad, horrible, discusting, want to hang myself trade) Gomer. Gainey should of taken him with him. I want him gone. But here's what I see developing. MB said he was still part of the team. He shows up in camp. Starts the season in Montreal. Produces nothing and finally gets waived. I don't see Europe as an option, which is what I would do. Find him a place in Germany, Italy, Algeria, whatever.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Andy Greene for Scott Gomez and 2013 2nd round pick???

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Montreal GM Marc Bergevin doesn't plan to buy out the contract of Scott Gomez.
Bergevin said: "He's a Montreal Canadien, so he'll come here and we'll see what happens. But I'm not buying him out." His total buyout cost would be $6.67 million spread over four years, according to CapGeek.com so it would inadvisable to explore that option anyway. However, starting the year in minors isn't out of the question even though Bergervin didn't touch on that subject.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Andy Greene for Scott Gomez and 2013 2nd round pick???
gladly...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gomez was never going to be bought out.
But he can certainly be lent to Alaska in the ECHL.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
King Niinimaa*

Trade him to Calgary for Bouwmeester

King Niinimaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
feds91

If the Habs need his cap space to sign another player, then send him to the minors. If no one else is picked up, I'm more for keeping him cuz Habs definitely need some offense. Their second line is pathetic.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I think were all getting sick and tired of Gomez threads-talk-chances, etc.... The day he's finally gone! I hope the Mods here will no longer allow talk of him allowed, unless it's in the out of town thread... Nuff Said!

Even if he just goes to Hamilton for now, then even that talk should be reserved for the AHL thread.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
j52

Go mez! Go!

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:43 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

This is really an easy fix. Take back the #91. As soon as he changed to #11 he started getting injured and started been a poor player.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I think were all getting sick and tired of Gomez threads-talk-chances, etc.... The day he's finally gone! I hope the Mods here will no longer allow talk of him allowed, unless it's in the out of town thread... Nuff Said!

Even if he just goes to Hamilton for now, then even that talk should be reserved for the AHL thread.
Remember last year? That's all we heard on l'antichambre... "Gomaize"

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:14 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Minors ?

I dont want anywhere near our young players

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:17 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Minors ?

I dont want anywhere near our young players
Alaska Aces, ECHL

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:26 AM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
gladly...
huh? why? we need the picks. i'd rather bury gomez in the minors, play or buy him out as opposed to trade a pick to get rid of him especially a pick as high as the 2nd round. in a cap world, you win via the draft...you stock pile drafts, you don't get rid of them for a short term gain. we aren't winning the cup with or without gomez this year...so how about we keep our draft picks!

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Habs13

Wait, wait... people suggest the Habs move one of young, talented centers (Desharnais, Eller) to the wing so Gomez can play center? The hell with that. IF we have to watch another season of ****ing Scott ****ing Gomez, then he should have to play out of position. Why hinder the growth of the future in favor of a worthless has-been that shouldn't even BE in this league. He hasn't earned his spot... so, at best, he should be the 13th forward filling in when injuries strike.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownquestionbro View Post
huh? why? we need the picks. i'd rather bury gomez in the minors, play or buy him out as opposed to trade a pick to get rid of him especially a pick as high as the 2nd round. in a cap world, you win via the draft...you stock pile drafts, you don't get rid of them for a short term gain. we aren't winning the cup with or without gomez this year...so how about we keep our draft picks!
Burying him is obviously the best option... but until we get confirmation from management that they have the ok from ownership to do so, any worthwhile trade needs to be explored.

A.Greene for a 2nd, on it's own, wouldn't be a bad deal value-wise (even if he's not exactly what we need)... giving up Gomez in the process is a no-brainer

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
TennisMenace

Why can't we bury Gomez and aggressively go after SEMIN or DOAN with the freed up cap space?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Why can't we bury Gomez and aggressively go after SEMIN or DOAN with the freed up cap space?
Maybe because Semin has a horrible attitude, according to 99% of people who speak of him in the media. There's a reason Washington has no interest in him.

Doan would be a good pick-up, but not great. There are much better options that (hopefully) make it to FA next year. There's about 20-30 guys who could help out this team more (and long-term) than Doan could.

If we were signing anyone, I'd just prefer to have Kostitsyn come in. At least he had chemistry with Eller. But I think he'll get a nice contract in the KHL somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
This is really an easy fix. Take back the #91. As soon as he changed to #11 he started getting injured and started been a poor player.
#11 is cursed. It's for one man and one man only.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
MXD

Quote:
Doan : Beucase we aren't winning the Cup this year and because Doan will seek a slightly too long contract (and he's 35+)

Semin : Because character seems to be important for MB.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
We can go aggresively after who ever we want and bury him after. We have until the season starts to comply with the cap. But there is no point in burying the guy if we don't need the cap space.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Well yeah, except you have it in the wrong order. If you sign players that are better and you need the cap space to fit them in, then you bury Gomez.

Not been any indication however that MB is interested in signing either player at the contracts they are looking at, or that they are interested in playing in Montreal.

If you were GM however, what would your idea be of an 'aggressive offer' to either player? This is always fun to see...

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote