HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Bud2790

vCash: 500
RDS Hockey. They send you notifications for every new about the Habs and every goal. Especially good for when you're not able to catch a game!

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

RIP Steve Jobs

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Hockey Inside/Out's app is a must. La Presse if you read French.
I'm Android should have mentioned. This H I/O looks good but it is only for iPhone

Got LaPresse though thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
RDS Hockey. They send you notifications for every new about the Habs and every goal. Especially good for when you're not able to catch a game!
Got this too cheers!

Last edited by JLP: 10-06-2011 at 09:52 AM.
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Is Sportsnet HD and/or TSN HD working well for you guys? I'm using Videotron, and the image has been 'screwed up' all day. Works fine on RDS HD or other HD channels, or even on TSN or Sportsnet (non HD)... I'll wait a bit more, but the image lags + pixelated in some spots, and always occuring.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
So Im thinking about buying a superphone or a smartphone through Bell..........Just wanting to gets some input on what might be the best buy for browsing, calling, and texting.
I am pretty much limited to Galaxy or Blackberry cause that is all my provider carries.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
So Im thinking about buying a superphone or a smartphone through Bell..........Just wanting to gets some input on what might be the best buy for browsing, calling, and texting.
I am pretty much limited to Galaxy or Blackberry cause that is all my provider carries.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you're with Bell, they do carry the iPhone FYI, but I wouldn't get one until we see the next iPhone.

For all around usage, the Samsung Galaxy S III is a fantastic device. Beautiful 720p HD 4.8 Inch screen, powerful dual core processor, 4G LTE speeds. Great for multimedia and browsing. Google Play Store has a 500,000 apps last I checked so selection is there.

Blackberry's strengths lie in BBM, Email and SMS because of the hardware keyboard. The apps selection is much thinner, as developers are afraid of the future of RIM. Browsing is also not so great.

With the state of RIM right now, I'd stay away from Blackberry, they are dropping like a cement block in the Hudson river.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Buy the best one that fits you're needs now and in the near future.

RIM's imminent demise is greatly overstated. They are a viable business that is struggling staying relevant but a lot of people really like and use their email. Worse case scenario is someone will buy their assets and keep the ship going for the foreseeable future.

As an Apple fan from way back you wouldn't believe all the premature autopsies that company went through, in fact at one time I think they were a week or two from shutting down completely.

The new iPhone looks like it will have a lot of little upgrades and it probably won't be available for 3 or 4 months, if you want to wait that long, then wait.

If you prefer to type with the keyboard get one with a keyboard if you don't or aren't going to use that feature very much then don't. It's more about you're personal preferences and which compromises or trade-offs you're willing to accept.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
RIM's imminent demise is greatly overstated. They are a viable business that is struggling staying relevant but a lot of people really like and use their email. Worse case scenario is someone will buy their assets and keep the ship going for the foreseeable future.
They bled out $500 million dollars last quarter. If that doesn't smell like demise I don't know what does.

Also, while I agree that someone could buy them, that doesn't mean it will "keep the ship going", case in point Look at Palm. HP took one of the most promising OS' outside of Android and iOS and literally ran it into the ground.

Unless RIM is taken over by someone who understands the mobile industry (like Google), they are done. Another case in point is Nokia, the once shinning bastion of smartphone manufacturers, they decided to partner, EXCLUSIVELY, with an unproven platform that was in it's infancy when iOS and Android were ravaging the mobile space. Yet another ill advised move by people who were extremely shortsighted in the mobile space.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
They bled out $500 million dollars last quarter. If that doesn't smell like demise I don't know what does.

Also, while I agree that someone could buy them, that doesn't mean it will "keep the ship going", case in point Look at Palm. HP took one of the most promising OS' outside of Android and iOS and literally ran it into the ground.

Unless RIM is taken over by someone who understands the mobile industry (like Google), they are done. Another case in point is Nokia, the once shinning bastion of smartphone manufacturers, they decided to partner, EXCLUSIVELY, with an unproven platform that was in it's infancy when iOS and Android were ravaging the mobile space. Yet another ill advised move by people who were extremely shortsighted in the mobile space.
Here's RIMM's balance sheet and demise is far from imminent.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=RIMM&annual

Notice, there's no long term debt ($0.00). Lacking the ability to pay back your loans is really the only reason for going bankrupt because going bankrupt is seeking relief from onerous debt burdens.

RIM is a financially solvent company and that isn't the impression you're giving.

--------------------------

I'm planning to buy one of the RIM Playbook's in the next week or two and I have no concerns about whether RIM stays in business or not and even if they do it doesn't make the Playbook obsolete.

I don't like FUD, (fear, uncertainty and doubt) or companies like Microsoft who used it as a baseball bat to smash smaller companies out of business. It is both bad and wrong.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Sony or Apple?

Hi,

Okay, so I'm a little old and a little out of touch with reality. So here's my story.....

I want a great MP3. I know that everyboyd is going IPOD so I wouldn't mind going that route as well. Yet, I am told that if the sound is important to me, that the Sony Walkman NWZE464KB (89$ Best Buy) is a better product as far as sound quality. But it doesn't have the interface that the Nano has, or all the gadgets that the Touch has. Thing is, do you really need the Touch if you have a Smart phone? My phone is not the IPhone but a Nuvifone Garmin A50 with an intergrated GPS (for the record, I,m not interested in changing my phone). So I'm really looking for the best combo here. Which one should I go for? Don't mind that much the pricing...but I just want the best quality out there and since everybody goes IPOD....Is the IPod Touch really necessary? Any difference in sound between the Touch and Nano? Who's more durable? Is it a pro or a con to have to use ITunes?

I hope my question is clear...feel free to ask more questions if I missed something....

Thanks.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hi,

Okay, so I'm a little old and a little out of touch with reality. So here's my story.....

I want a great MP3. I know that everyboyd is going IPOD so I wouldn't mind going that route as well. Yet, I am told that if the sound is important to me, that the Sony Walkman NWZE464KB (89$ Best Buy) is a better product as far as sound quality. But it doesn't have the interface that the Nano has, or all the gadgets that the Touch has. Thing is, do you really need the Touch if you have a Smart phone? My phone is not the IPhone but a Nuvifone Garmin A50 with an intergrated GPS (for the record, I,m not interested in changing my phone). So I'm really looking for the best combo here. Which one should I go for? Don't mind that much the pricing...but I just want the best quality out there and since everybody goes IPOD....Is the IPod Touch really necessary? Any difference in sound between the Touch and Nano? Who's more durable? Is it a pro or a con to have to use ITunes?

I hope my question is clear...feel free to ask more questions if I missed something....

Thanks.
Here's a good forum to read what people like in the portable sound market.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear

I don't know anything about the Sony but if you're listening to mp3 I don't think the sound quality will be that much different between the brands.

Unless you get serious about music playback by using Lossless files, decent headphones and a separate amp (at least two or three of these) will probably be required before you can tell a difference in sound quality between the different companies products. Headphones make the biggest difference.

If all you want is to play music, the Nano is fine, the Touch is basically an earlier version iPhone without the phone capability. I can't speak for the Sony because I haven't owned a Sony since I owned a Mini-Disc player.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Here's a good forum to read what people like in the portable sound market.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear

I don't know anything about the Sony but if you're listening to mp3 I don't think the sound quality will be that much different between the brands.

Unless you get serious about music playback by using Lossless files, decent headphones and a separate amp (at least two or three of these) will probably be required before you can tell a difference in sound quality between the different companies products. Headphones make the biggest difference.

If all you want is to play music, the Nano is fine, the Touch is basically an earlier version iPhone without the phone capability. I can't speak for the Sony because I haven't owned a Sony since I owned a Mini-Disc player.
Thanks. But what are people doing? Most have the IPhone and use it as their MP3? Clearly nobody has IPhone and ITouch which to me is totally redundant isn't it? Maybe the Phone and Nano who has that quality of being really small. I know as far as Sony is concerned...I feel like the old guy looking for that Yellow Sports Walkman....

Old
07-04-2012, 10:36 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Thanks. But what are people doing? Most have the IPhone and use it as their MP3? Clearly nobody has IPhone and ITouch which to me is totally redundant isn't it? Maybe the Phone and Nano who has that quality of being really small. I know as far as Sony is concerned...I feel like the old guy looking for that Yellow Sports Walkman....
Frozenice is right about the sound quality. The Touch had pretty much the same hardware as the iPhone 4.

Touch over Nano : apps and bigger size. If you only want an mp3 player and your collection is under 8GB (or 16GB), save the money and go with the Nano. Especially over a Sony product, you get better manufacturing and longevity.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Here's RIMM's balance sheet and demise is far from imminent.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=RIMM&annual

Notice, there's no long term debt ($0.00). Lacking the ability to pay back your loans is really the only reason for going bankrupt because going bankrupt is seeking relief from onerous debt burdens.

RIM is a financially solvent company and that isn't the impression you're giving.

--------------------------

I'm planning to buy one of the RIM Playbook's in the next week or two and I have no concerns about whether RIM stays in business or not and even if they do it doesn't make the Playbook obsolete.

I don't like FUD, (fear, uncertainty and doubt) or companies like Microsoft who used it as a baseball bat to smash smaller companies out of business. It is both bad and wrong.
You're going to buy RIM's Playbook, when it has little to no developer support, is running less than mature software AND when an alternative like the Google Nexus 7 is more affordable at it's entry level price, has superior hardware, a thriving ecosystem and easily better software.

I must really be on the habs forums.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
I don't think the interface really matters. If your mp3 can connect to your computer and download the songs from there to your mp3 player, you should be good to go. Once they are on your mp3 player, just select the song you want and press play.

If I was buying a music player I'd get the nano and maybe a basic pair of in-ear earphones from $50 - $150.

I wouldn't carry around both the Touch and an iPhone either.

Can your Garmin expand it memory - card slot because if it can you can always use it for music by buying a set of headphones for it.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
You're going to buy RIM's Playbook, when it has little to no developer support, is running less than mature software AND when an alternative like the Google Nexus 7 is more affordable at it's entry level price, has superior hardware, a thriving ecosystem and easily better software.

I must really be on the habs forums.
The Playbook I'm looking at has 32gb storage and the Nexus has 8gb and for me that the most important difference. I only want the basic features, web browsing, streaming tv, some music files, alarm clock and a few basic games. Anything else I can do on my computer.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I don't think the interface really matters. If your mp3 can connect to your computer and download the songs from there to your mp3 player, you should be good to go. Once they are on your mp3 player, just select the song you want and press play.

If I was buying a music player I'd get the nano and maybe a basic pair of in-ear earphones from $50 - $150.

I wouldn't carry around both the Touch and an iPhone either.

Can your Garmin expand it memory - card slot because if it can you can always use it for music by buying a set of headphones for it.
Thanks again. Well the funny thing about that Garmin doesn't have this "entry" like every other freakin phone or MP3 there. You have to find a headphone that connect with a USB entry...how sweet is that. Obviously, went to every store out there and nobody has it. Amazon.ca doesn't even carry it, found it at Amazon.com though...
Anyway, thanks again....chances are I'll have to decide between the Sony one and the Nano.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
The Playbook I'm looking at has 32gb storage and the Nexus has 8gb and for me that the most important difference. I only want the basic features, web browsing, streaming tv, some music files, alarm clock and a few basic games. Anything else I can do on my computer.
I believe there's a 16gb version for the Nexus 7, which is more than enough for a few music files.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Frozenice is right about the sound quality. The Touch had pretty much the same hardware as the iPhone 4.

Touch over Nano : apps and bigger size. If you only want an mp3 player and your collection is under 8GB (or 16GB), save the money and go with the Nano. Especially over a Sony product, you get better manufacturing and longevity.
Thanks as well. Will look into it...

Old
07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I believe there's a 16gb version for the Nexus 7, which is more than enough for a few music files.
I won't have any trouble filling the 32gb of space.

Just like my computer or my 4 other hard drives managed to get filled rather easily. I've downloaded and uploaded over a TB from demonoid as an example.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Galchenyuk94

Hey guys, how would I go about getting my mp3s onto my samsung galaxy ace phone? When I plug it in to the usb and into the laptop I don't get any new hard drives or whatever in the menu. What gives?

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Hey guys, how would I go about getting my mp3s onto my samsung galaxy ace phone? When I plug it in to the usb and into the laptop I don't get any new hard drives or whatever in the menu. What gives?
I guess start with the simple things and then move to the more complex.

USB cable - is it okay and working? If you can check with another computer that would be a good idea.

If you're on a Mac, click on the desktop with the mouse or trackpad and then "Finder" should appear beside the Apple icon. Click on "Finder" and then click Preferences and then General.

Make sure External disks are checked and I'd also check CDs, DVDs and iPods and Hard disks. You can uncheck these later if you want, once you know where they are.

Using Google I found a few websites fairly easily, it is something I always do - just type in your device and your problem and you can usually find someone else who had the same problem as you and found a solution for it.

http://recombu.com/news/samsung-gala...ks_M16862.html

http://androidforums.com/incredible-...c-via-usb.html

Old
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
I guess start with the simple things and then move to the more complex.

USB cable - is it okay and working? If you can check with another computer that would be a good idea.

If you're on a Mac, click on the desktop with the mouse or trackpad and then "Finder" should appear beside the Apple icon. Click on "Finder" and then click Preferences and then General.

Make sure External disks are checked and I'd also check CDs, DVDs and iPods and Hard disks. You can uncheck these later if you want, once you know where they are.

Using Google I found a few websites fairly easily, it is something I always do - just type in your device and your problem and you can usually find someone else who had the same problem as you and found a solution for it.

http://recombu.com/news/samsung-gala...ks_M16862.html

http://androidforums.com/incredible-...c-via-usb.html
On a pc, USB cable works, it charges the phone but the device does not show up. After a google search I found no one with my problem.

I went on the samsung website and downloaded this thing called Kies 2.0, I'll see if that does it

Old
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Galchenyuk94

Got it. Had to download some software, Kies did it for me. I thought it was just drag and click.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:10 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Can I get some input on the best and most reliable ISPs in the Montreal area?

Looks like you guys have Telus, Rogers and Bell as well as Videotron; is that pretty much it? Any particular praise or horror stories with any of these or other ISPs?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote