HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Weber?

Old
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Ryan Suter
Dan Hamhuis
Leaving next July 1st would be different than signing a one-year offer sheet completing tying the hands of Poile. I just don't see it.

If Weber wanted to play in Vancouver he'd either let Poile know now so he could work out an equitable trade, or he'd wait until next summer. Either way, I'm certain Gillis made contact with Shea's camp some time after June 26th to gauge interest. I'm equally certain he'd do whatever it takes to try and acquire Weber if he thinks it's feasible.

I'm sure, much like Nashville's fanbase, Poile probaly wants to take a few days to assess. He seemed floored by Suter leaving, whether people think he should have been surprised or not.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Leaving next July 1st would be different than signing a one-year offer sheet completing tying the hands of Poile. I just don't see it.

If Weber wanted to play in Vancouver he'd either let Poile know now so he could work out an equitable trade, or he'd wait until next summer. Either way, I'm certain Gillis made contact with Shea's camp some time after June 26th to gauge interest. I'm equally certain he'd do whatever it takes to try and acquire Weber if he thinks it's feasible.

I'm sure, much like Nashville's fanbase, Poile probaly wants to take a few days to assess. He seemed floored by Suter leaving, whether people think he should have been surprised or not.
If Weber signed an offer sheet it would screw over Poile less than Ryan Suter did. Apparently Suter gave his word to Poile not to worry and that he would be staying in Nashville. Poile got completely screwed over and got nothing.

At least if Weber signed an offer sheet Poile would get something for it.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
If Weber signed an offer sheet it would screw over Poile less than Ryan Suter did. Apparently Suter gave his word to Poile not to worry and that he would be staying in Nashville. Poile got completely screwed over and got nothing.

At least if Weber signed an offer sheet Poile would get something for it.
Yea I mean, there's really no clearer indication that a player doesn't want to play for you anymore than signing an offer sheet (since money isn't the problem here).

But yeah, I was just curious what Preds fans would want to do IF Weber accepted a 1 year offer sheet around 8 million, the compensation of two 1st rounders, 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder.

Would you just take the compensation and move on OR match it, keep Weber around for one year and lose him for nothing next summer.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Yea I mean, there's really no clearer indication that a player doesn't want to play for you anymore than signing an offer sheet (since money isn't the problem here).

But yeah, I was just curious what Preds fans would want to do IF Weber accepted a 1 year offer sheet around 8 million, the compensation of two 1st rounders, 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder.

Would you just take the compensation and move on OR match it, keep Weber around for one year and lose him for nothing next summer.
Yet 5 of 6 offer sheets since the lockout were matched. They are a negotiating tool. Matching includes accepting the bonus structure, term, etc.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Osprey

If he won't sign a long-term deal, then you have to at least explore a trade. See if someone is willing to make an offer that can't be refused. Such an offer may come, since there may be extra incentive to get and ink Weber to a mega deal before the new CBA. I wouldn't necessarily accept whatever the best offer is, though. I'd still be willing to give him a 1-year deal and give a longer deal another shot in January. Once he's a part of the team again, and, hopefully, they're on their way to another playoff berth, he may be more open to staying than right now. If he won't re-sign even then, however, Poile will absolutely need to trade him.

I think that it's important that Poile doesn't frame it as "sign or we trade you." As someone pointed out in the other thread, threats don't inspire loyalty. That said, Weber needs to be carefully made aware that the Preds can't afford for the Suter situation to be repeated. They'd prefer for him to be an asset to the Club for the next 6-12 years in a Preds jersey, but if they can't guarantee that, they'll have to turn him into assets that will be in Preds jerseys.

Preds management may need to take the Suter situation to heart and realize that players who aren't willing to sign with them before they go to market likely aren't going to re-sign. Nashville just doesn't have the level of appeal to compete with the market, it appears. Perhaps it should become a organizational rule that any pending UFA who doesn't re-sign before the trade deadline gets traded. For a team that struggles to lure quality free agents, it becomes even more important to not lose its own free agents for nothing. Nashville has a nice, family atmosphere, but that also means that those who really want to be a part of it will commit to it sooner rather than later, and management should recognize that those who keep saying "later" probably aren't committed.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Byrddog

Significant players are demanding significant money. Making the last CBA and lockout insignificant. There are a number of teams that are in a financial fight for survival, yet the salary cap continues to go thru the roof. And who is the loser the fans. you can bet that Weber is looking for 13 mil a year now after todays action. And I bet theres gonna be an offersheet out there with that, it really does not matter the who will do it someone will. For those who say nahhh why give us so much when you can wait a year for him to be a RFA well if you get a long term deal this year it will not be as much as he will be asking for next year. Now the question is will he sign a sheet???? I just can't see him turning down 200 mil contract for 15 years and whos out there that will do it??? It has played right into the Wings crosshairs. One Norris candidate retires and where the aire apparent..

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Sportsfan1

I have no ill will for the Predators and their organization. Total class and well run organization despite Poile's anger today. I hope for you, you fans especially you can keep Weber, because as a Minnesota fan I KNOW exactly the pain of what it's like to see your stars leave, and hope you can at least keep Weber.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Good young defender/Top blueline prospect + good young forward/top forward prospect + 2-3 1sts if he doesn't sign long-term.

Scott Stevens, Ryan Suter, Shea Weber. Maybe it's time to start hating Poile for me.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Do we trade Weber right now? No.

There simply isn't a blanket answer to your question. It depends.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Lowe in Oil

Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
Colten Teubert
2013 1st

for

Shea Weber (signed long-term)

Nashville would be getting a 2nd line Center, still only 22 years old, has shown some greatness in Sam Gagner. A great young puck-moving defenseman who led the Oilers in ice-time last season in Petry. A good physical defensive prospect who was selected 13th overall in his draft year in Teubert. And a 1st round pick.

I truly believe that's as much as Nashville is gonna get for Weber. Minnesota gave up nothing to get Suter... wow!

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
Colten Teubert
2013 1st

for

Nashville would be getting a 2nd line Center, still only 22 years old, has shown some greatness in Sam Gagner. A great young puck-moving defenseman who led the Oilers in ice-time last season in Petry. A good physical defensive prospect who was selected 13th overall in his draft year in Teubert. And a 1st round pick.

I truly believe that's as much as Nashville is gonna get for Weber. Minnesota gave up nothing to get Suter... wow!
You get to keep the big four and Weber and only give up a 3rd line center and a decent pick. Great.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:

I don't think the oil are good trading partners. It's too much of a s--- show up there in Edmonton.

That said, Philly didn't get Suter, so are they or any other team going to sit and wait for next summer to possibly get Weber if he were available now via trade?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I don't think the oil are good trading partners. It's too much of a s--- show up there in Edmonton.
What does that even mean?

If Weber does become available, I would assume Edmonton would be a very likely trade partner. Any trade of Weber likely means Nashville is looking to rebuild their roster and the Oilers have the prerequisite young players, prospects and picks that would be needed in such a deal.

The question would be if a deal could be made without one of Edmonton's "big four" going back to Nashville.

07-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Dodgie

Trade Shea Weber to Minnesota in exchange for Ryan Suter.

Karma.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The question would be if a deal could be made without one of Edmonton's "big four" going back to Nashville.
Well as fans, we will say a collective "hell no" to that. That would be the last straw for Poile. If Weber is going to Edmonton, signed for Christ's sake, we better be getting a RNH, Yakupov, or Eberle plus a dman. The poster wrote that Weber would be signed long term. You really think if Weber is signed long term that we wouldn't be getting one of the "top 4"? Really??? Might as well just give the cup to the Oil for a few years in a row.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
What does that even mean?

If Weber does become available, I would assume Edmonton would be a very likely trade partner. Any trade of Weber likely means Nashville is looking to rebuild their roster and the Oilers have the prerequisite young players, prospects and picks that would be needed in such a deal.

The problem is, without the 'big four,' the Oilers can't come up with enough quality in a package to justify the Preds trading him there. Gagner, Omark, MPS, Hemsky, Whitney aren't going to get it done on our end.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well as fans, we will say a collective "hell no" to that. That would be the last straw for Poile. If Weber is going to Edmonton, signed for Christ's sake, we better be getting a RNH, Yakupov, or Eberle plus a dman. The poster wrote that Weber would be signed long term. You really think if Weber is signed long term that we wouldn't be getting one of the "top 4"? Really??? Might as well just give the cup to the Oil for a few years in a row.
I agree that Weber is easily worth one of the big four (and potentially more) in a straight trade but this is a question of relative value. If it becomes reasonably clear that Weber won't sign long-term in Nashville, his value drops far closer to what we saw in the recent trades of Kovalchuk and Pronger. Quality assets were moved in those trades but not the equivalent of a #1 overall pick. This type of trade obviously only happens if Weber is unwilling to sign in Nashville and willing to sign elsewhere. If that's the case, I can't see how his value doesn't take a tremendous hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
The problem is, without the 'big four,' the Oilers can't come up with enough quality in a package to justify the Preds trading him there. Gagner, Omark, MPS, Hemsky, Whitney aren't going to get it done on our end.
I don't necessarily disagree although I think assets like Klefbom and Petry would be in play rather than less valuable players like Whitney, Omark and Hemsky.

If moving Weber becomes a must, I think there would be at least some discussion around some of those assets.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:13 AM
pred

I hope we can keep weber

im sure going to miss his soccer skills

Last edited by Fel 96: 07-05-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: YT.. Hope it works now
pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Yet 5 of 6 offer sheets since the lockout were matched. They are a negotiating tool. Matching includes accepting the bonus structure, term, etc.
But don't you realize this is completely different situation than normal RFA? This isn't about money and again, if Poile matches, Weber will walk for nothing next summer.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ryan Suter
Dan Hamhuis
Dan Hamhuis situation was different, he left because he wanted to make more money than a 2nd pairing defenseman, which is what he was and would always be here. He had been passed by the younger more talented defensemen in our system and likely would still be getting passed by players like Josi.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Dan Hamhuis situation was different, he left because he wanted to make more money than a 2nd pairing defenseman, which is what he was and would always be here. He had been passed by the younger more talented defensemen in our system and likely would still be getting passed by players like Josi.
Actually, he was apparently offered basically the same amount of money in Nashville as he was given here in Vancouver and he was offered more elsewhere than he got here. It wasn't about the money as much as he wanted to play in Vancouver. Hamhuis had several offers from teams around the league but was determined to play here.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

With Suter heading out, Weber's contract just went up. I'm thinking the offer was a little more than Suter's ($7 cap/13 years), but now it's more like $8.5 cap. Weber is going to cash in big time.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Psuhockey

I posted on the main board but want to see what you guys think. How about the Schenn brothers and a 1st Rd pick for Weber if he was willing to sign in Philly. I think the fact that they are brothers makes it easier to keep them in Nashville long term since I doubt they would want to leave each other.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Nothing Is New

As an aside, it pisses me off that we slice and dice the GMs right and left, but the players can lie out their butts and we act as if that's just fine. Yes, Poile probably has been naive, but evidently Suter had his cute little Minnesota version of the Miami LeBron/Wade deal with Parise on the books for quite a while - yet at the same time he was telling Nash they are legit contenders.

We got snookered on Suter. Done deal. But I'll say it: Poile is a fool if he goes on verbal assurances from Weber. If Weber doesn't sign a long term in two weeks: TRADE HIM NOW!

If not, I can almost quote Webers agent next June: Shea really loves Nashville, but he's into the second half of his career and we just think the (Penguins or Rangers or fill in random big media team name) have a better shot at getting him his boyhood dream of a Cup ring.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
Colten Teubert
2013 1st

for

There is no deal for Edmonton that doesn't contain one of RNH, Hall, or Eberle. Especially "signed long term."

Sorry, there just isn't. That's a garbage proposal.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote