HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about skate lacing

Old
07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
esidebill

vCash: 500
Question about skate lacing

I've seen a lot of pictures of people with their skates laced up, and the laces seem to be uniform and narrow running up the foot. On my foot, the laces widen out at one point and then become narrow again towards the top of the skate. Would this be a problem? I don't really have any issues with the top of my foot.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
hyster110

got pictures

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:01 PM
bp spec

Maybe your feet are wider at that certain spot compared to the guys you've seen pictures of? If it's not a problem for you or that this make you uncomfortable I guess it really doesn't matter.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Thepandamancan

Sounds like your boot doesn't have enough volume to accommodate your foot. Technically it is a problem, but if you have proper heel lock and the skate is comfortable it shouldn't really be an issue. I had the same problem with my Bauer One60s and I used them fine.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
esidebill

Sure!

Old
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Sounds like your boot doesn't have enough volume to accommodate your foot. Technically it is a problem, but if you have proper heel lock and the skate is comfortable it shouldn't really be an issue. I had the same problem with my Bauer One60s and I used them fine.
Yea, I don't get blisters or have any heel issues. I think I just have a tremendous instep.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

If you're tying them tight don't worry about it... Part of your foot is just wider than other parts... That's all.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Guffaw

Easy one. That boot doesn't have a deep enough instep for your foot. That being said, if you aren't getting pain etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Yea, I don't get blisters or have any heel issues. I think I just have a tremendous instep.
Yeah, that's how my Bauers are. Are they new? The more they break in the better they'll get, but the boot will always be too short for your foot. Thanks to a defective holder, I was able to make the switch to Reebok recently and that fixed the volume problems. If you're wearing an EE vapor, a D Reebok fits much better.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Yeah, that's how my Bauers are. Are they new? The more they break in the better they'll get, but the boot will always be too short for your foot. Thanks to a defective holder, I was able to make the switch to Reebok recently and that fixed the volume problems. If you're wearing an EE vapor, a D Reebok fits much better.
The Reeboks have that much more room huh? I think I tried a D Reebok and it had the same problem.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
The Reeboks have that much more room huh? I think I tried a D Reebok and it had the same problem.
The top of my foot is really high like what yours looks like. Vapors and Reebok were both way to shallow. CCM and Bauer Supremes are a lot deeper. I'd say if your current skates really bother you, go try on every brand your local shop has and find what fits best. Throw brand names out the window. Pay attention to the fit.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
neksys

I have the exact same problem. I have Easton EQ5s that I really like. They look a little funny and I've had a couple of people comment that my skates look like they're too loose, but whatever - they were the best fit for my feet and fit like a glove, even if they technically might be a little shallow through the instep.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:10 AM
oldfart

Quote:
I've seen a lot of pictures of people with their skates laced up, and the laces seem to be uniform and narrow running up the foot. On my foot, the laces widen out at one point and then become narrow again towards the top of the skate. Would this be a problem? I don't really have any issues with the top of my foot.
Your pics seem to show pretty much the proper lace spread. Think you're over thinking. A lot of casual skaters tend to buy skates to large,so the lace spread gets nattow (under 1 1/2 in.). If the skates fit well then how the spread varies up the boot will vary for each person.
I find the snuggness from the forefoot all the way up to be critical for my good skate control. I can highly recommend changing your current lace pattern to be opposite your current. From the bottom,feed each lace thru the top of eye and back out from under.see the lacing on the right of this pic, url below... left is how you and many others currently lace. Using the right method allows tension adjustment at each set of eyes and allows snug fit without lace bite or cutting circulation
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...zU4muig3qFynBA
This pattern locks the lace at every eye pr. When we were skating in the older, less supportive older skates, this made a huge difference. In our modern skates, this is nice icing on skate fit &control. Give it a try.

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:05 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Easy one. That boot doesn't have a deep enough instep for your foot. That being said, if you aren't getting pain etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
agreed with guffaw. i have owned a bunch of skates. my latest pair being bauer supreme one100 LE (all black and ridiculously expensive...had to spend the money for the most proper fit and it was worth every penny) but he is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I have the exact same problem. I have Easton EQ5s that I really like. They look a little funny and I've had a couple of people comment that my skates look like they're too loose, but whatever - they were the best fit for my feet and fit like a glove, even if they technically might be a little shallow through the instep.

my suggestion would be some waxed laces. while i suggest and i myself only used wax laces it will keep your skates tight. maybe i missed it in previous posts, but do your skates loosen up like that after they are tied? you do not have waxed laces and try them out. let them break in, and your skates will never loosen. that said, another problem would be that the boot of the skate may not be stiff enough which tends to happen depending on skate models. what do you consider yourself as a player? beginner, novice, or advanced? depending on your level, you could easily break down your boot if it is not extremely stiff

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
oldfart

Quote:
a high instep is a powerful bridge to strong forefoot thru the stroke. Not every off-the-rack skate accommodates it perfectly, but they will mostly work well...
Graf seems to offer the most variety there - which is where I'm looking ... (with my Eigerwand instep...), but for me the most important factor is the forefoot width, most skate boots are too wide...

But back to lace spread
Gordie Howe (early 60's)
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=gordi...,r:5,s:0,i:156
Gretsky hooking Nedved
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wayne...15,s:130,i:161
Super Mario
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Mario...r:8,s:20,i:165
Russian Rocket
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=russi...24&tx=42&ty=47
Ovechkin

You seem to be in good company - lace spread didn't/doesn;t seem to bother them...

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a similar thing going on with my skates. Lately they've either been too loose or causing some pain. Just went from some old waxed laces to newer unwaxed and hoping maybe the pressure gets dispersed a little more and the skates go back to feeling like an extension of the foot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNYR19 View Post
agreed with guffaw. i have owned a bunch of skates. my latest pair being bauer supreme one100 LE (all black and ridiculously expensive...had to spend the money for the most proper fit and it was worth every penny) but he is right

my suggestion would be some waxed laces. while i suggest and i myself only used wax laces it will keep your skates tight. maybe i missed it in previous posts, but do your skates loosen up like that after they are tied? you do not have waxed laces and try them out. let them break in, and your skates will never loosen. that said, another problem would be that the boot of the skate may not be stiff enough which tends to happen depending on skate models. what do you consider yourself as a player? beginner, novice, or advanced? depending on your level, you could easily break down your boot if it is not extremely stiff
Yep! I use wax laces currently. I've only played maybe 7 pickup sessions, but I played a few years as a kid and the skills seem to stick with you for life. I'd consider myself somewhere between novice and beginner. I'm also 6'5, 210. I think that may mean I'd need a stiffer skate? I just played a pickup game last night and the skates were a little wobbly towards the end half of the 80 minutes.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
clayman

Quote:
Yep! I use wax laces currently. I've only played maybe 7 pickup sessions, but I played a few years as a kid and the skills seem to stick with you for life. I'd consider myself somewhere between novice and beginner. I'm also 6'5, 210. I think that may mean I'd need a stiffer skate? I just played a pickup game last night and the skates were a little wobbly towards the end half of the 80 minutes.
Seven pick-up sessions and a little wobbly after 80 minutes? If it was me I'd be pretty wobbly too! I'm just recently getting back into it after about a 35 year layoff and after a 90 minute skating session, and that's just skating, I'm pretty wobbly myself! lol.. it definitely takes a bit to get your legs back under you.. Good luck!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Faryn

Quote:
It really depends on how you lace your skates up is it tight all the way through??

I have always left the bottom of my laces loose and only tightened up from the 4-5 eyelet from the top so my skates laces are pretty uniform. I also wear my skates with my toe touching the end and sometimes don't do up the top eyelet (depends on model and brand). If i do do the top eyelet up then I will skip one of the eyelets near the top to give me better range of motion in my ankle.

Out of most of my friends they follow suit in the way I do my skates (outside of leaving out the top eyelet). The ones that do their skates up tight all the way through seem to have narrower feet or have trouble with their ankles. They seem to like to tape their ankels up too - which is really bad for your skates durability. This will cause the break down of the support already in the skate and make it less supportive in the long run (tying your laces around the back of your skate will do the same thing).

* This is what I mean by the ankle see how Bure wraps it around the back of his skate, this will cause the back to bend, as well as the front, when you bend your knees to skate causing that support to break down. Bure probably when through skates much faster then other players.

It really comes down to preference I have always had trouble with the laces being to tight across the top of my foot so thats why I don't tighten them all the way.

* My knowledge comes from working at a sports store for 8 years primarily in the hockey department.

Last edited by Faryn: 07-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
Your pics seem to show pretty much the proper lace spread. Think you're over thinking. A lot of casual skaters tend to buy skates to large,so the lace spread gets nattow (under 1 1/2 in.). If the skates fit well then how the spread varies up the boot will vary for each person.
I find the snuggness from the forefoot all the way up to be critical for my good skate control. I can highly recommend changing your current lace pattern to be opposite your current. From the bottom,feed each lace thru the top of eye and back out from under.see the lacing on the right of this pic, url below... left is how you and many others currently lace. Using the right method allows tension adjustment at each set of eyes and allows snug fit without lace bite or cutting circulation
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...zU4muig3qFynBA
This pattern locks the lace at every eye pr. When we were skating in the older, less supportive older skates, this made a huge difference. In our modern skates, this is nice icing on skate fit &control. Give it a try.

I tried this, and I didn't think it would help that much, but it did :p