HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you support trading phil kessel for help down the middle

Old
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Kirkpatrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisleafland View Post
Absolutely not!

Why would you trade away our leading scorer to upgrade at position which is supposed to help increase Kessel's numbers. With a true #1 C, Kessel can easily come close, if not go past the 40G mark for a single season.

Case closed!
Kessel already came close to 40G in a season with Bozak (and a bit of Connolly) as his centre. I have to think he would nail that for sure with a legit #1

It would have to be a hell of a blockbuster trade to move out Kessel.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
thisisleafland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
Kessel already came close to 40G in a season with Bozak (and a bit of Connolly) as his centre. I have to think he would nail that for sure with a legit #1

It would have to be a hell of a blockbuster trade to move out Kessel.
Call me high, crazy,insane, etc...but he IS the best player we have had since Mats' departure

thisisleafland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisleafland View Post
Call me high, crazy,insane, etc...but he IS the best player we have had since Mats' departure

No, but seriously, that's the sanest thing any leaf fan could say. Kessel is easily the best player we've had since Sundin. We should be grateful to have him, great player.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrukt View Post
yes, because this is a stupid idea. Let's trade a top 10 scoring winger and our best player for a centre, who can then make amazing plays to.... oh crap we traded our scoring winger.

Sounds like the Sundin problem all over again, no?

This is dumb, stop trying to trade away Kessel because someone told you he was lazy.
atleast Sundin got us into the playoffs year after year. people don't seem to realize how much better a center would help this team. Wingers are much more readily available then top centers. I would trade a top winger for center any day of the week. we could trade Kessel for a center then get Nash for example, or Parise was just available, so was Kovalchuk, Gaborik wingers are always available center's are rarely available so if you have a chance to grab one you give up anything to get them. they make the most difference in a game then any other position.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
atleast Sundin got us into the playoffs year after year. people don't seem to realize how much better a center would help this team. Wingers are much more readily available then top centers. I would trade a top winger for center any day of the week. we could trade Kessel for a center then get Nash for example, or Parise was just available, so was Kovalchuk, Gaborik wingers are always available center's are rarely available so if you have a chance to grab one you give up anything to get them. they make the most difference in a game then any other position.
Sundin didn't get us into the playoffs every year. A well balanced team did that. Many would argue that if you had to put it on one person, it would more likely be Cujo/Belfour.

I still think the C thing is a myth. For every Kovy there is a Richards for every Gaborik there has been a Carter or Staal.

The real problem is finding the legit top line player, winger or otherwise.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Sundin didn't get us into the playoffs every year. A well balanced team did that. Many would argue that if you had to put it on one person, it would more likely be Cujo/Belfour.
I think without either Sundin or Cujo/Belfour those teams would have been quite unremarkable. With Sundin leading from the front and the all-star goaltending keeping everything under control, there was a lot of wiggle room for the rest of the team. Take out those two, and you'd have...the current Leafs, but 10 years older?

Imagine putting an unbelievably clutch, huge, skilled, leader of a C and goaltending approaching Vezina quality on today's Leafs? That's basically everybody's wildest dreams right now.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Mowerman

Only for a centre that is of the same calibre and ceiling as Kessel. Those types of centres are not available at a fair price barring ridiculously unlikely circumstances given the current state of the league.

So, no. Kessel is a special player and I would not part with him in almost all scenarios that could reasonably be proposed.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post

I still think the C thing is a myth. For every Kovy there is a Richards for every Gaborik there has been a Carter or Staal.

The real problem is finding the legit top line player, winger or otherwise.
myth? go back into history and look at all the best wingers most changed teams atleast once. now go look at all the top centers and most played for the same team there entire career. also Wingers since the lockout to move include, 2 50 goal scorers Heatley(three times), Kovalchuk and 4 40 goal scorers Parise, Hossa(three times), Nash(will soon be moved), Gaborik, and to a lesser extent Kessel, and Cammalleri. those players are at the very top of there position the only guys who can be considered better then any of those are Ovie and Iginla and lately Perry and Sedin. where as the best centers to move have been Thornton, Richards, Richards and Carter(who plays wing now). the only elite Center in that list is Thornton. so there is no myth the top wingers in the game have changed teams quiet often where as the elite centers are extremely rare.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Vexed

Gilmour, Sundin, Oates, Gretzky, Messier....

I'm holding firm to my point

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Roberts - Sundin - Mogilny was a pretty decent set of wingers.
Right and we had a Conference Final run with that group, but we never had the organizational depth to back that run up and faltered when push came to shove.

Now we have the depth and a superstar on the RW. We get the 1C and then we have a potential dynasty. Because then, as guys get too old, we have the pieces to replace them. We just need our Stevie Y.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 4743
I don't think he would fetch his worth. We would end up trading an elite winger for a semi-elite centre, and that would be the hockey equivalent of chasing one's own tail.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
R McD

Yeah, just so a year later someone can make a thread about trading said center for a high end goal scoring winger.....

R McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Ya sure, we will just trade Kessel, one of the best shots in the league.
hes gonna love coming down on reimer when our defence collapses like usual.

He will be a leafs killer if we trade him.. bottom line.. NO!

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

NO. No chance.

People have to relaxe about getting a #1 centre. It doesn't have to happen this summer.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:40 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
You'd trade Kessel for an 11 goal guy that had 57 points? Um, ok.

I am glad you are not running the team.
was waiting to hear about Getzlafs points...

idk if i trade Kessel for Getzlaf straight up, it would have to be a multiplayer deal

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

KESSEL will bolt so fast to the WILD IN 2 years, so yes traded now, along with lupol cause he will never resign here next year, then burke can tell the truth that the leafs are in a FULL rebuild mode, 5 to 10 years

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Krazy

In a word yes.
But it would have to be for a top player.
Ie toews, Stamkos, maybe giroux, malkin, tavares, which i dont believe the other teams will obviously.

But for like duchene etc. No chance.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I'm not for trading our best player but would it be worth it in long run? Would you trade him to a team that is deep down the middle? I don't think couture would be a fair trade (value wise for us) but thats the closest of value for a team down the middle. I think duchene would be a fair deal but I don't think colorado would be willing to relinquish him.

I would be willing to trade kessel for a significant upgrade down the middle because of the lack of a complete game. Yes he did accumulate 82 points without a number 1 centre. Yes he did finish top 6 in scoring. He allowed played on ron wilsons team that lacked defence. He is not good defensively anyway you put it. He is not effective on the forecheck. On the contrary, he is able to put up points without a true number 1. His passing ability and vision and extremely good. He has good and bad parts about his game.

Would you trade Kessel for a 65-70 point centreman around the same age? Would our winger depth be decimated with his departure? Would there be any sense in considering trading our greatest asset for an upgrade in the position we need the most help?

I'm not for one or the other
YES

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Trade Kessel and replace him with Semin. Kessel has no 2 way game and is lazy.
I personally thought Kessel changed for the better last season. He back checked and covered pretty well. He'll never be a defensive wizard but you don't need a top flight offensive winger to also be your best defensive forward. Phil had what I consider his break out season last year I expect more from him this season. Especially if we can get him some secondary scoring going.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
He is not effective on the forecheck.
Lol.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Elite goalie > Elite D-man > Elite Centre > Elite Winger

So yes, I would make the trade if we got an elite center in return. Good wingers are a luxury, not a requirement. The other positions is however.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
sakicisgod

For me, it's about the contract. I'd LOVE to ship out Kessel if we are getting a great young player of equal value, centre or otherwise, who has a good contract of 4-8 years.

In two seasons, Kessel could VERY possibly walk, and honestly, the type of guy he is, I see him signing with the highest bidder.

sakicisgod is offline   Reply With Quote