HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v20: off-season '12| In: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas, Ross...Out: J Johnson, Bayless

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Shimso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
sooo recap:

Leafs didn't do anything meaningful so far in the offseason.
Raptors went all in and lost the player they were hunting for
Jays still suck.

Neat.
IMO, 2.5 games out of a playoff spot in a 162 game season despite being in pro sports' toughest division and having 6 of the 7 top starting pitchers and the #1 closer injured doesn't count as "still sucking"....

Instead of signing with Toronto on Canada Day he signs with LA on Independence Day....it wouldn't feel so bad if the Raps didn't give 14398493148931483 million to Fields.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Suntouchable13

Can anyone tell me where is the future of this franchise? Where are they headed? I don't see it. Looks very bleak. This franchise is going nowhere fast.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Could that count as losing a star player?

1st overall is our's next year for sure! Stern will have mercy.

07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Can anyone tell me where is the future of this franchise? Where are they headed? I don't see it. Looks very bleak. This franchise is going nowhere fast.

not good enough to get more than 1 win in the playoffs, not bad enough to get game-changing draft pick

Old
07-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post

not good enough to get more than 1 win in the playoffs, not bad enough to get game-changing draft pick

This team isn't even good enough to get to the payoffs, nevermind win 1 game in them.

Unless Val is the second coming of Kareem Abdul Jabbar this franchise is as ****ed as ****ed gets.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
TrainTracks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
People are forcing the whole idea of "Kid Canada" onto him. The benefits of him signing here are all about us (Canada), when in reality, if discussing solely the needs of Nash, Toronto has the least to offer out of Tor,NY,PHX and LA.
Oh please. Nash would have endorsements out the ying yang if he played in Canada. He would be a national hero. Toronto might not have a championship chance, but for Nash's pocket book Toronto would of been the best place to go. To say Toronto had the least to offer him is ridiclous.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainTracks View Post
Oh please. Nash would have endorsements out the ying yang if he played in Canada. He would be a national hero. Toronto might not have a championship chance, but for Nash's pocket book Toronto would of been the best place to go. To say Toronto had the least to offer him is ridiclous.

Aside from money Toronto did have the least to offer.

Nash already gets all the basketball related endorsements he wants in Canada and let's face it basketball isn't that huge in Canada it big but not so big that he would see a huge windfall.

Nash made the absolute right decision for him.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Shimso

I have no problem with Nash's decision (nor do I have a problem with any FA's decision).

My beef is with how poorly managed this team is (eg. Fields).

And as another pet peeve, sign and trades shouldn't be allowed. If a player is signed, they should not be allowed to be traded from that team for at least 6 mths

Old
07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
I have no problem with Nash's decision (nor do I have a problem with any FA's decision).

And as another pet peeve, sign and trades shouldn't be allowed. If a player is signed, they should not be allowed to be traded from that team for at least 6 mths
So teams lose out even more when their FA's walk?

Old
07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:

I love S&T's. I wish the NHL had them.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Please tank next season. Instead of doing this half ass ****, try to hit the damn homerun.

All the DeRozan's, and Davis' aren't getting us anywhere. Try for our own Westbrook and Durant.

TANK NATION UNITE ONCE AGAIN.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Please tank next season. Instead of doing this half ass ****, try to hit the damn homerun.

All the DeRozan's, and Davis' aren't getting us anywhere. Try for our own Westbrook and Durant.

TANK NATION UNITE ONCE AGAIN.

Casey is just to good of a coach to tank.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Dr.Funk

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ptors-nothing/

Old
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Hyperglide

Plan B has me very excited.

Nash who??

Old
07-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Plan B has me very excited.

Nash who??

The contract that plan B wants isn't very exciting.

I think BC is gonna try and go back to Houston and probably have to pay more to get Lowry than what Houston wanted before.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
If we did, why didn't he sign with us. People are assuming things, like what you listed, are things that should be important to Nash. Nash obviously had a different idea considering he was close to signing with New York and then moved onto the Lakers. Toronto had the least to offer him in regards to what is important to him.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
The contract that plan B wants isn't very exciting.

I think BC is gonna try and go back to Houston and probably have to pay more to get Lowry than what Houston wanted before.
What is he asking for? If it's not more then $10 million what's the problem? We gave that kind of contract to Calderon and Dragic is better then Calderon.

NBA is like the NHL. If you want someone be prepared to overpay a bit. We were willing to give $12 million to a 38 year old in the twilight of his career.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:26 PM
TrainTracks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
If we did, why didn't he sign with us. People are assuming things, like what you listed, are things that should be important to Nash. Nash obviously had a different idea considering he was close to signing with New York and then moved onto the Lakers. Toronto had the least to offer him in regards to what is important to him.
I guess helping to turn around a franchise from his home country and being regarded as hero in Canada isnt important to him. Riding the coattails of other players for an NBA championship is much more noble.

IMO turning the raptors into a respectable team and becoming a national hero is a more epic accomplishment than "only wanting to play for a championship contender, that was already a contender before he got there." I guess some people don't care about legacys and hometown pride.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
What is he asking for? If it's not more then $10 million what's the problem? We gave that kind of contract to Calderon and Dragic is better then Calderon.

NBA is like the NHL. If you want someone be prepared to overpay a bit. We were willing to give $12 million to a 38 year old in the twilight of his career.

Dragic was 5 years and 50 million and a guaranteed starting job.

For a guy that has never been anything but a back-up that's a big risk.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
I guess helping to turn around a franchise from his home country and being regarded as hero in Canada isnt important to him. Riding the coattails of other players for an NBA championship is much more noble.

IMO turning the raptors into a respectable team and becoming a national hero is a more epic accomplishment than "only wanting to play for a championship contender, that was already a contender before he got there." I guess some people don't care about legacys and hometown pride.

Steve Nash is already a hero in Canada.

And really for a franchise as devoid of any future stars as the Raptors what good would getting eliminated in the first round really do for this franchise.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:34 PM
TrainTracks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Steve Nash is already a hero in Canada.

And really for a franchise as devoid of any future stars as the Raptors what good would getting eliminated in the first round really do for this franchise.
You keep saying Nash is a hero in Canada, but I dont think you know what that means. He's as much of a hero as joey votto is. Sure we respect him, but we have no attachment to him. Hell brett lawrie is 10x more loved than Nash, just because he's canadian and plays on a canadian team.

You honestly dont think just making the playoffs would be a huge boost for the raptors? Atleast in terms of respectablity to attract other players. Not to mention what it would do for the fanbase.

Old
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

This is most likely his last contract, he can either attempt to go out with fighting for a championship, or he can rot away with the Raptors. Nash is already one of the most popular Canadian athletes, only thing that would really increase it is if he won a championship with Toronto, which we know wouldn't happen.

I can't believe there are some people that are upset with Nash going to the Lakers over the Raptors.

Old
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:

I'd rather have a ring.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
I agree with the general idea here, this team blows now and is trending towards nothing. We suck at the PG spot, at the SG spot and at the SF. We are average at the PF and we MIGHT have something spectacular at the C spot, but who knows about that yet.

At this point, we have a bunch of mediocre pieces and one piece that may be a homerun. There is no point in making the playoffs with this worthless core, since even if they get experience, they won't ever become a contender. We need to get top 3-5 picks and build around val and them. IMO, fire BC and restart the rebuilding process.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
You keep saying Nash is a hero in Canada, but I dont think you know what that means. He's as much of a hero as joey votto is. Sure we respect him, but we have no attachment to him. Hell brett lawrie is 10x more loved than Nash, just because he's canadian and plays on a canadian team.

You honestly dont think just making the playoffs would be a huge boost for the raptors? Atleast in terms of respectablity to attract other players. Not to mention what it would do for the fanbase.
Signing Nash and squeaking into the playoffs would actually be the worse move for this franchise.

Closed Thread