HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

isles wanted murray this bad?

Old
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
The Friedman article (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...cks-trade.html) makes too much sense for the haters. That's probably why no one has posted any quotes from it, and explained why they are right about Snow being wrong, and not just taking another opportunity to take a shot at Garth.

Sickening.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Although the ultimate value of all their picks for "only" Murray (or Yakupov) might be fair, according to Friedman, it kind of undermines the value of your team scouting. That's the problem I have with it.

You add up all the man-hours, costs, spent watching, categorizing, debating, ranking these 18 year olds and I'm sure some scouts felt very strongly about player A or player B in any of the rounds. The thinking that you'd not draft anyone in a draft year, except for ONE GUY (blue-chipper or not) seems a little wrong.

Take a guy like Anton Zlobin, he went to PITTS in the 6th round, nice gamble for a player who had an amazing year and playoffs/mem-cup. I refuse to believe there aren't a handful of boom-or-bust players that the scouts identified BEFORE the draft that the Isles would forego all their picks for.

Again, it's just a rumour and it doesn't matter if it's true or not, or whether there's fair value or not. The truth is, perception is reality and this, ultimately, doesn't look good for an organization with an already-tarnished-to-hell brand and fan/media relations.

I like Reinhart a great deal. He's Malakhov at WORST and I believe he'll be a much better player in the Pietrangelo mold. I'm happy with the pick and we shall see what happens with the rest. I also think the drafting of all defensemen is a non-story. Would it really matter if they'd chosen another Cody Rosen in the 7th round or a random forward in the 5th round?

Sometimes we dump on this team unnecessarily. But most times, it's warranted, unfortunately.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
scott99

I'm sorry, but Reinhart is no Malakhov. Malakhov was a great skater for his size (Reinhart isn't known as a great skater). Malakhov also was a VERY good offensive defenseman. Reinhart will be a 2 way defenseman. Reinhart will also be way better than Malakhov, Malakhov had 10million dollar talent and a $5 brain. Outside of Malakhov's great rookie season, he was crap most of his career. He was big, strong, fast, could actually fight too, but never became a star. I'm praying Reinhart does not become the next Malakhov.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KGBeast View Post
Staple and Friedman both confirmed this was a thing that happened. It doesn't mean it was a good idea, but it did happen.
Officially the only two people that can confirm it happened HAVE NOT confirmed it. That's Snow and Howson. It is widely believed at this point that if it was offered Howson would have accepted it and he didn't.

It is definitely BUNK!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Officially the only two people that can confirm it happened HAVE NOT confirmed it. That's Snow and Howson. It is widely believed at this point that if it was offered Howson would have accepted it and he didn't.

It is definitely BUNK!
I can 100% assure it definitely was NOT me..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:19 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I just listened to the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast with Jeff Marek and Greg Wyshynski. They talked about this and they ended up saying that it was "insane to offer and insane not to take". They also said the offer was in case Yakupov dropped to 2. Also, it wasn't necessarily every draft pick. Marek said that after talking to other people, it might've been Alex Galchenyuk the Islanders were after at 2. At the very end, it was said that they don't know that Garth Snow offered the deal. They both think that Wang was behind the deal. It was then said, "If you ask anybody, especially the agents, about Garth Snow, they put him over. They say he's a good GM and that he gets a bad rap and that he is in a bad situation." "He's a great employee for the New York Islanders". So they both said that Wang is the cause of the circus(surprise surprise) and even think that Garth is protecting who is above him.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Brunomics

After taking the time to digest this if it happened I wouldn't have been against it. The Isles have a **** load of prospects already and if they gambled on Yakupov being next to Tavares for the next 10 years how could it not be worth it? I'd make that deal 10 out of 10 times and not look back.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
After taking the time to digest this if it happened I wouldn't have been against it. The Isles have a **** load of prospects already and if they gambled on Yakupov being next to Tavares for the next 10 years how could it not be worth it? I'd make that deal 10 out of 10 times and not look back.
Exactly!

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Although the ultimate value of all their picks for "only" Murray (or Yakupov) might be fair, according to Friedman, it kind of undermines the value of your team scouting. That's the problem I have with it.

You add up all the man-hours, costs, spent watching, categorizing, debating, ranking these 18 year olds and I'm sure some scouts felt very strongly about player A or player B in any of the rounds. The thinking that you'd not draft anyone in a draft year, except for ONE GUY (blue-chipper or not) seems a little wrong.

Take a guy like Anton Zlobin, he went to PITTS in the 6th round, nice gamble for a player who had an amazing year and playoffs/mem-cup. I refuse to believe there aren't a handful of boom-or-bust players that the scouts identified BEFORE the draft that the Isles would forego all their picks for.

Again, it's just a rumour and it doesn't matter if it's true or not, or whether there's fair value or not. The truth is, perception is reality and this, ultimately, doesn't look good for an organization with an already-tarnished-to-hell brand and fan/media relations.

I like Reinhart a great deal. He's Malakhov at WORST and I believe he'll be a much better player in the Pietrangelo mold. I'm happy with the pick and we shall see what happens with the rest. I also think the drafting of all defensemen is a non-story. Would it really matter if they'd chosen another Cody Rosen in the 7th round or a random forward in the 5th round?

Sometimes we dump on this team unnecessarily. But most times, it's warranted, unfortunately.
You might be right it undermines the team's scouting system, or it could be because the team's scouts were not that enthused with the prospects that would be available for later round picks.

I think it's obvious they drafted all defensemen, cause they are going to trade off at least 1-2 of our developing young defenseman already in the system, and they wanted to make sure they had replacements for them in the pipeline. Either that are they must feel a lot of our defense prospects are lacking, and might not pan out. There is a story to it, but we just can only guess at what it is.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Fantom

I really do not think this was ever offered. I do not doubt that some type of offer was indeed made though. ANy gm would have been foolish to not take the trade from garth if it was offered. two drop back only two spots and still get a player who is just as likely to be good you make that trade all day every day,

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Staples tweeted on the 25th,the reason behind the isles draft day offer.

https://twitter.com/#!/StapeNewsday
Arthur Staple‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles wanted their clear No. 1 ranked D-man, a more NHL-ready player, rather than a 2-3 year prospect and six others who are toss-ups.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:38 AM
steveat

Reinhart is MAX 2 years away. There are players you can rush and players yu can't. I would say 5% of the kids drafted can step in right away and make a difference in their draft year. I believe Reinhart is one of them, though, one more year wouldn't hurt. He's got the mentality to do it. Most kids don't. I think he should put on another 10-15 pounds though before he steps up to the plate. He may have size, but he will be stepping into a league where he won't be such a monster as he is in the western league.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
seabass45

Another insight about Wang's contribution to the madness: http://sulia.com/channel/hockey/f/35...source=twitter

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Another insight about Wang's contribution to the madness: http://sulia.com/channel/hockey/f/35...source=twitter
Don't care if it was Wang's idea, if the idea of the trade was to get the best player they could in the draft then they should go for it. They have a **** load of prospects from the past 4 drafts that look really good and they could afford to to something like this. I'd much rather have the home run pick and take it from there this year than a bunch of prospects from a weak draft.

Is it me or do hockey bloggers/reports/analysts love to get butt hurt over things like this? For such a tough sport they really love to try to dig it in when someone tries to make a bold move at a time that they could afford to take that chance.

For the record I can't believe I'm defending Snow/Wang here.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

According to Brett Cyrgalis of the New York Post, he says the report was false.

Quote:
A ‪#NHL‬ source says the ‪#Isles‬ reported trade of every on of their draft picks to the ‪#BlueJackets‬ for No2 was "laughably incorrect."
https://twitter.com/BrettCyrgalis/st...17614339850242

Source war!!!!!!

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

Why are people still talking bout this.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
With FA about to start you might think this kind of article would wait a week or so..

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
cfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
I'm more amazed at how many posters never heard of Kelly Chase, then I am about the trade offer.
Seriously, he wasn't a bad enforcer in his day.

We have a-lot of younglings on I guess.

cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
According to Brett Cyrgalis of the New York Post, he says the report was false.

[URL="https://twitter.com/BrettCyrgalis/status/219117614339850242"]https://twitter.com/BrettCyrgalis/status/219117614339850242[/URL

Source war!!!!!!
I am glad someone was able to post the truth.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote