HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers Signed Bruno Gervais 2 years, $825K AAV

Old
07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Why?
Everytime Paul Holmgren signs a useless player an angel gets it's wings.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

lol I love how mad everyone's getting over nothing. Its a good cheap depth signing with a right shot. Looks like Carle wants a ridiculous amount of money and this years defensive UFA's blow. They tried to get Suter, he didn't want to come here. Can't say they didn't try, they offered him big time years and money. I would have prefered Carlo C. if we were going to go this route but whatever. We have a decent top 6 when healthy and guys like Bourdon, Gus, and Manning that are more than capable of plugging in during injuries. Next year is a much better free agent class.

Its obvious that they are trying to replace some of the lost offense from the departure of Jagr and JVR. I would want Semin out of the UFA's left out there, not fond of waiting on Doan for a week until the Arizona vote is finished and then get stuck with nothing. If the free options aren't there then move for Ryan.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Puck-mover/ right-handed...and he's Max Talbot's BFF.

Those are the only reasons I've got.
Gervais is a decent player. He'd been stuck on a bad Isles team for years. He won't replace Carle's minutes, but there aren't any other UFAs who could, Garrison included.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:29 PM
boxcar65

I would say Bourdon and Gus are better than Gervais right now. Go ahead and flame away, but Gervais has always been an average(at best)d-man. It's like we couldn't get Suter, so let's just go out and get "someone". Give the young guys that are already here a chance.

boxcar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar65 View Post
I would say Bourdon and Gus are better than Gervais right now. Go ahead and flame away, but Gervais has always been an average(at best)d-man. It's like we couldn't get Suter, so let's just go out and get "someone". Give the young guys that are already here a chance.
Gervais may be Bourdon insurance.

Do we know that Bourdon is over his concussion symptoms. IIRC at the year end interviews he was still not cleared to do off ice workouts. Anyone with an update on MAB?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
will probably be for 6 years too

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Amateur Hour

I'm more than fine with signing Gervais. Coming off a career-high six goals and just turned 27. He won't come at a crazy cap hit, has flashed ability in the past, is a RIGHTY (!), and his name is Bruno (!!). I'll say it qualifies as a shrewd, low risk/high reward kind of move that I'm always pining for Homer to make.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Let the kids play build through the draft thats how we should do it

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Lockjaw333

Would be fine with this signing. This kid is a decent player, and he will come cheap. He's basically a version of Carle. Like it as a 5/6 depth signing.

I feel something brewing. The Flyers are going to do something. I'm guessing Bobby Ryan trade (I thin Voracek not being signed yet is screaming Ryan trade), and they are going to go out and get a D man via trade. Yandle would be a pipe dream.

Lockjaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I'm more than fine with signing Gervais. Coming off a career-high six goals and just turned 27. He won't come at a crazy cap hit, has flashed ability in the past, is a RIGHTY (!), and his name is Bruno (!!). I'll say it qualifies as a shrewd, low risk/high reward kind of move that I'm always pining for Homer to make.
Agreed

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
KaraLupin
카라

You can never have enough depth at D. I like this signing for what it is.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Okay, Flyers Playoff Finals run with weak ass third pairing says "Hi".

Old
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post
Would be fine with this signing. This kid is a decent player, and he will come cheap. He's basically a version of Carle. Like it as a 5/6 depth signing.

I feel something brewing. The Flyers are going to do something. I'm guessing Bobby Ryan trade (I thin Voracek not being signed yet is screaming Ryan trade), and they are going to go out and get a D man via trade. Yandle would be a pipe dream.
This will simply not happen. Where is the part where Flyers have enough assets to give for these players without extremely crippling their team for years?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:58 PM
sg12lw

why are people upset with this?

not every signing is going to be a marquee player

ill take gervais as a 6/7 over lilja everyday of the week

...dont get me wrong, we need to do more this offseason, but this move in no way hurts us...it makes us a little deeper

im fine with it

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post

Voracek is a RFA and we're on July 4th, it doesn't mean anything. He'll be signed. Why would we trade Voracek to get Ryan? That would still let us a hole in offense. I don't understand why people are saying Schenn/Couturier are untouchables (I agree), but not Voracek? IMO Voracek is a solid winger with a very high upside, and he's not a trade bait. I wouldn't trade any of them. They're our future.

IMO, we shouldn't trade any of our players. We have a solid team, we have a couple of holes to fill to become a winner, and if needed, we need to trade picks, not young players. That way, we'll build a winner. We can afford losing picks right now (for good pieces, of course, not throwing them away) if we keep our young guns.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Tyler Durden

So why hasn't Gervais signed yet?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we do sign Gervais, it shows how much they rely on Gus/MAB to become regular NHL players. I actually might be in the minority and don't think they will be from what we saw this year. I would take Gervais over both of them right now.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:26 PM
hockeyphan25

I could see the Flyers wanting Ryan over Voracek based on needs: goal scorer rather than playmaker for the first line but I wouldn't be too surprised if Voracek puts up more points than Ryan next year and he was a pretty solid all around player for us last year, not saying he should be a Selke candidate but I don't remember getting on him for poor defensive play much at all. Is Ryan or Nash that much better all around players that we'd have to trade Voracek, Read (losing goal scoring right there) and at least one 1st round pick to get them and their higher salaries. And if we trade the future - The above trade, Schenn or Couturier or even worse, both of them (if that happened I'd have to find another team until new management arrives) to get them, wouldn't we have been better off keeping Richards and Carter.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Ryker

I think Gervais would be a decent signing, as he seems to be a solid third pairing defenseman. Let's just not go overboard with the cap hit.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:27 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
This will simply not happen. Where is the part where Flyers have enough assets to give for these players without extremely crippling their team for years?
Exactly, not many spare parts left to be traded. Only a one-for-one plus picks makes sense.

They have the cap space now but there are not that many UFAs left worth bick bucks.
Stupid situation.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Seeing as Timonen, Meszaros and Lilja will probably all be injured at some time or another and maybe even at the same time, I think having 9 NHL calibre def. is a necessity. Just wish it was another 2nd pairing quality D to push down other guys rather than compete for the 6-7th spot.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:47 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I'm guessing that he will be here to replace MAB or Gus, who will be packaged in a trade. Just a guess, though.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Lockjaw333

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Voracek is a RFA and we're on July 4th, it doesn't mean anything. He'll be signed. Why would we trade Voracek to get Ryan? That would still let us a hole in offense. I don't understand why people are saying Schenn/Couturier are untouchables (I agree), but not Voracek? IMO Voracek is a solid winger with a very high upside, and he's not a trade bait. I wouldn't trade any of them. They're our future.

IMO, we shouldn't trade any of our players. We have a solid team, we have a couple of holes to fill to become a winner, and if needed, we need to trade picks, not young players. That way, we'll build a winner. We can afford losing picks right now (for good pieces, of course, not throwing them away) if we keep our young guns.

Yes, I agree with you. I've already said I don't want Voracek traded. I think he is going to be a really good player. I just have a feeling they might give up too much to get Ryan, especially since we lost out on Suter and Parise- the Flyers will feel like they need to make a splash.

Back to Bruno, as another poster mentioned you can never have enough players named Bruno. Lineup sheet intimidation right there.

Lockjaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:55 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
lol I love how mad everyone's getting over nothing.
That's exactly what we're mad about. We've effectively done nothing. Nothing wrong with this signing, no, but this is the fill in signing you do after taking care of the marquee guys. Still huge holes to be filled, but the market just isn't there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'm guessing that he will be here to replace MAB or Gus, who will be packaged in a trade. Just a guess, though.
I wish, but I feel like Holmgren just thinks the best solution to the porous playoff defense is to have a bazillion options and hope that'll work.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote