HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Feel for the former Thrashers turned Predators fans, first Kovalchuk now Suter.
To be fair Kobalchuk is better than Suter

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
carseat

feel bad that suter pull this slap in the face to the preds org.

but -- i wouldn't have given him that type of contract, they will regret the deal quite quickly....

carseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
In Poiles presser, he was quoted in saying that Ryan told him in November that he would re-sign in Nashville. If Ryan did indeed tell him that, how can anyone blame Poile for NOT trading him?
Actions speak louder than words. If Suter really wanted to be here he would have signed. Poile ****ed this whole thing up, just like he's doing with weber, just like he did with Stevens. When Suter got cute at the ASG, Poile should have said sign or you're gone. At least today we'd be talking about how the young stud forward and 1st rounder would be helpin us in the future instead of standing here holding an empty bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Actually on the verge of tears right now....can't believe how much of a ********* Ryan Suter really is.
I've been saying this for a year. How anyone, including our GM was ever so gullible is unconscionable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Poile: "There's no team in the NHL that did more at the trade deadline."

Sounds like Poile is pissed, and you know what, I'm right there with him. Arg.
The only thing Poile did was destroy our team chemistry with overpayments. He let Suter walk all over him.

Poile has spent a career bungling contract negotiations with his best players. Look at his resume in Washington. He's like Tommy Boy tearing up his dinner roll when taking about how he can't close.

Aside from Rinne (who knows enough money when he sees it, and just wants to be left alone), name me another contract with a big name player that wasn't totally screwed up by Poile. Hell, Poile even overplayed for Rinne. Look at what Price just signed.

Fire Poile! Now! Don't let him put his kiss of death on the Weber on deal too anymore than he already has.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-04-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: filter circumvention/offensive
gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I see the board is in full panic, finger pointing mode. Call me crazy, but I don't think it's the end of the world right now. We lost our 3rd best player to overpayment. Big whoop. That's life. There is plenty of time to recover

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseat View Post

but -- i wouldn't have given him that type of contract, they will regret the deal quite quickly....
It's not his fault. Apparently his wife keeps his stones in a jar at her parents' house. At least he's closer to them now.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseat View Post

That's what I've been thinking. 13 years? no thanks. Ask the Islanders how that long contract is working out.
I do however resent the way $uter played everyone, seemingly to drive up the price.
As some others have said on here, he's dead to me now...he's no longer a Pred, he's the enemy. I've moved on. Good riddance. Buh-bye.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
cleangene

This #@^*ing day is ending. The only Ryan who matters is Mr. Ellis. LET'S GO PREDATORS.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:09 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

I will be making a shirt that's says **** Ryan Suter on the front and **** Craig liarpold on the back in preparation for Dec 1st

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I agree, but just replace Trotz with Weber.

We're about to find out if Suter is really a #1 defenseman like we all think or if he is a #2 that fed off Weber. I think he's the former...but we shall see.
I defended Weber for the longest time on the main boards, but didn't majority of Nashville fans say that Suter was the better player? Not that I agree, but I remember this was the consensus amongst the Preds fans on HF during the season.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I defended Weber for the longest time on the main boards, but didn't majority of Nashville fans say that Suter was the better player? Not that I agree, but I remember this was the consensus amongst the Preds fans on HF during the season.
In '10-'11, and probably before, it was absolutely true. This past season, Suter seemed checked out from about January on, and Weber was definitely the better of the two.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yes, Suter was way better than Weber when Weber refused to sign long term last year. As in -- let Weber sign in Vancouver. We don't need him. Suter is just as good, probably better.

Now that Suter left, of course Weber is the man. Who needs Suter when you have Weber.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Actions speak louder than words. If Suter really wanted to be here he would have signed. Poile ****ed this whole thing up, just like he's doing with weber, just like he did with Stevens. When Suter got cute at the ASG, Poile should have said sign or you're gone. At least today we'd be talking about how the young stud forward and 1st rounder would be helpin us in the future instead of standing here holding an empty bag.

Poile has spent a career bungling contract negotiations with his best players. Look at his resume in Washington. He's like Tommy Boy tearing up his dinner roll when taking about how he can't close.

Aside from Rinne (who knows enough money when he sees it, and just wants to be left alone), name me another contract with a big name player that wasn't totally screwed up by Poile. Hell, Poile even overplayed for Rinne. Look at what Price just signed.

Fire Poile! Now! Don't let him put his kiss of death on the Weber on deal too anymore than he already has.
Yes, Poile's track record with all-star's is scary. The best player he got out of the Stevens debacle was Sergei Gonchar.

And does anybody else think that with Rinne being the lone all-star that's locked up we will be wallowing in mediocrity Flames style for the next 7 years? or at least until we develop more all-stars that want to leave.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-04-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: edited quote
Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Let somebody throw $34million at you over the next three years, let you play alongside a good friend, and bring you to where your wife is from and see how many people here don't jump at that. This is a BUSINESS. Poile made a very competitive offer and got beaten out last night by the Wild. Guess what ..... IT HAPPENS. Look through every team's history and you'll find free agents leaving for nothing in return. This year the big hits were to us and New Jersey ... last season Dallas with Richards ... it might happen next week to Phoenix ... Minnesota experienced it .... Detroit lost Hossa via free agency within the division. Losing Suter sucks, but it's part of what happens across this league every single season. The only way to avoid it is to accept that a player might not sign and trade them early in the hope that maybe possibly we get something back. Of course then you're constantly in rebuild mode rather than icing the best team possible for that one season.

Welcome to the big time boys and girls.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
orcasfan

I'm sorry how things worked out, you guys. The team and the franchise deserved better. But it is not a big surprise. I do remember getting into a discussion here a while ago about this very same scenario - Suter leaving. And getting slammed, like it was almost blasphemy! Anyway, I do tend to agree with some of you that the real fault lies with Poile. He has been a very effective GM for ages, but his one weakness is how he handles his star up-and-coming UFA's. Maybe he needs an Assistant GM to help him in that area!

orcasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Hockeyfan2390

Looks like Rinne will really get put to the test now.

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
Looks like Rinne will really get put to the test now.
It really depends who else the team brings in this summer and what happens with Weber. There are so many contingencies in play right now that it is too soon to guess what this team will look like come October.

I find myself looking forward to preseason, NCAA, and minor league hockey live and my Preds on Center Ice for most of the season. I know I can see the Avs v Rangers and a NCAA kickoff tourny with Army, Notre Dame, Nebraska-Omaha and Maine and adjust to CHL hockey after three seasons with AHL partial season tix.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
predfan98

It is a business but Ryan Suter doesn't have the stones to be honest with Poile , all year long. Haven't you read where it's come out now that he and Parise have talked all year about this, playing together on the same team.

He's lied all year saying he wanted to be here if we were competitive....when he's talking to his bud about playing together. Family decision is a fancy way of saying I lied all last year to the fans and to Poile.

This shows a persons true colors and his are not pretty.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Brewhousesouth15

espn just said suter was drafted in '05 they cant be serious

Brewhousesouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So, there I was hiking Watkins Glen State Park listening to TSN and I hear the news. Looking down the 500 ft drops I sigh. I could almost hear Adz, Patty, and Viqsi treating to kick my ass if I didn't change my thought process. >>> snip

You are damn right I'd kick your ass. Don't even. You get that down - you call me.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
It is a business but Ryan Suter doesn't have the stones to be honest with Poile , all year long. Haven't you read where it's come out now that he and Parise have talked all year about this, playing together on the same team.

He's lied all year saying he wanted to be here if we were competitive....when he's talking to his bud about playing together. Family decision is a fancy way of saying I lied all last year to the fans and to Poile.

This shows a persons true colors and his are not pretty.
Exactly.
I'll be the first one to defend a player's right to choose who and where he can play as a free agent. The issue is the way all this came about. I think most Preds fans and perhaps the Preds organization as well feel a bit "used". We've been "strung along" by $uter's "demands" since last mid-season. It's felt like blackmail all along (to me anyway). It's the whole "wishy-washy" nature of this whole deal that stick in the craw.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhousesouth15 View Post
espn just said suter was drafted in '05 they cant be serious
Oh, but they can! It's ESPN

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
predfan98

well, time to unsticky this and let it die.... he's not a pred..byebye

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Suter is denying that he ever told Poile that he was planning with certainty to sign with Nashville. Has no recollection of the quote Poile attributes to him from November.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm over it. Let's move on.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
Exactly.
I'll be the first one to defend a player's right to choose who and where he can play as a free agent. The issue is the way all this came about. I think most Preds fans and perhaps the Preds organization as well feel a bit "used". We've been "strung along" by $uter's "demands" since last mid-season. It's felt like blackmail all along (to me anyway). It's the whole "wishy-washy" nature of this whole deal that stick in the craw.
To me the more important bit is, how long ago was he planning this?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote