HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The D-situation

Old
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorchinski View Post
Can Adam play wing?
Yes, and he will be a better LW than center.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:54 PM
sabresfan129103

Detroit needs help on the back end in a big way. I wonder if they would be interested in Leopold or Sekera?

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Detroit needs help on the back end in a big way. I wonder if they would be interested in Leopold or Sekera?
Filppula somehowwww plzzzzzz

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Sekera for Filppula was well received (on HFB) last offseason and both just had great years. Might still work. I'm leery of trading Sekera though. People say we have tons of D under contract, making him expendable - but the truth is that after this season (when Regehr and Leopold's contracts expire), our top-4 D looks very sketchy. Even with Sekera they are counting on McNabb to be ready (top-4 becomes Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, McNabb). Sulzer, Weber, Pardy, Brennan all look like 5-8 guys, and Pysyk/JGL won't be ready for several years and we have no idea how they will ultimately turn out.

Meanwhile starting in 13-14 if not sooner we can project a glut of top-9 forwards even if we don't add any more (Pominville, Stafford, Armia, Hodgson, Ennis, Grigs, Vanek, Foligno, Ott, Leino = 10). So overall any move that trades D for F now would have to be counterbalanced by a F for D move 1-2 years from now. Not saying it can't be done, just that the whole deal is fairly complicated when taking into account the projectable organizational outlook and not just this year's team needs.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I had Pysyk penciled in for '13-'14, no? Anyway, they could consider extending Leo or Regehr, or hitting the UFA market next year, I suppose.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
There's not a doubt in my mind someone will be traded from our d corps. Probably a package of some sort.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I had Pysyk penciled in for '13-'14, no? Anyway, they could consider extending Leo or Regehr, or hitting the UFA market next year, I suppose.
I would expect him to be there by then. I'm pretty sure Leopold will be dealt and with the extra Dmen we are playing the percentages in that 3 of 6: Reghyr, Sultzer, McNabb, Weber, Pardy and Brennan, close out the top 6 (or 4 of 6 close out the top 7). Hence Regier's comments about Pardy playing in Buffalo. He very well might, it's up to Ruff and Pardy.

For what it's worth I expect to lose Brennan for nothing, see McNabb in Rochester (for the start), and have Reghyr, Sultzer, Weber and Pardy as the 4-7.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
There's not a doubt in my mind someone will be traded from our d corps. Probably a package of some sort.
With Suter going to Minnesota and Carle going to the Lightning (and not to Detroit, etc.) that might open up D+package trades with some teams that need to improve their D but no longer have any hope of doing so through FA. Those surprising, to me anyway - thought Detroit the whole way, FA moves not being to the normal "big dogs" in the FA market might have just shifted the landscape a lot for the trade market. Wonder if Darcy read the tea leaves that accurately and created a deliberate strategy to position the team to shed D for improving the front end with this outcome to the FA market in mind. Regardless, will be interesting to see what he does now.

Last edited by Prospector74: 07-05-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Luceni

There would be a lot of guys from detroit I'd love to have on our roster.

I take Helm orf Flipps in a heartbeat for any of our defenseman not named myers, McNabb or Erhoff and I would probably add some assets.....

Luceni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
There would be a lot of guys from detroit I'd love to have on our roster.

I take Helm orf Flipps in a heartbeat for any of our defenseman not named myers, McNabb or Erhoff and I would probably add some assets.....
Filppula is an UFA after this year but Helm is signed for through the 2015-2016 season for $2.125M per year. I'd run at Helm for the longer contract but either/or would fit the bill (just depends on the package being weighted properly on our side of the scales). Hopefully the trade market will heat up tomorrow morning.

Edit: some talk on the main board about Yandle potentially moving. nervous that Darcy doesn't wait too long/play chicken/push too hard for a one-sided deal to the point that suitors decide to shop elsewhere. Could be singing Darcy's praises in 24 or wondering why nothing has happened and feeling sick.

Last edited by Prospector74: 07-05-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Sekera for Filppula was well received (on HFB) last offseason and both just had great years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Filppula is an UFA after this year but Helm is signed for through the 2015-2016 season for $2.125M per year.
While Filppula sure would inject some offense, speed and skill into the lineup, he doesn't fit the description Regier gave about adding a big center - nor can I see the Wings giving him up after the breakout year he had and Datsyuk/Zetterberg getting older.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a Sekera-for-Filppula swap - but it's hard to see it coming true.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Luceni

Who is more "untouchable" from a Red Wings POV? Helm or Filpps?

Luceni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Imlach a cup

In 1-2 seasons I'm hoping of our 7 top center prospects (from Adam to Zemgus including NHLers) that we have managed at least 1 surplus center that could be moved for a D. If it's even needed. I would in no way let defensive depth down the road effect a trade for a big center.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
I don't know, but the one I'd pick of the two is Helm.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Filppula is an UFA after this year but Helm is signed for through the 2015-2016 season for $2.125M per year. I'd run at Helm for the longer contract but either/or would fit the bill (just depends on the package being weighted properly on our side of the scales). Hopefully the trade market will heat up tomorrow morning.

Edit: some talk on the main board about Yandle potentially moving. nervous that Darcy doesn't wait too long/play chicken/push too hard for a one-sided deal to the point that suitors decide to shop elsewhere. Could be singing Darcy's praises in 24 or wondering why nothing has happened and feeling sick.
While in a market all things have effect on the other, there may be plenty of separation in the teams interested in acquiring Yandle vs Sekera vs Leopold vs McNabb/Pysyk/etc. Yandle would be targeted as a top pairing guy with the highest cost of the bunch. I don't disagree with the point though and I imagine Darcy's already had some preliminary talks. Though, he may or may not want to hold off to see what happens with these unknown free agent offers he has on the table.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Revelate

any organization that gives up Helm for anything but the most severe over-payment is a stupid organization. Detroit is not a stupid organization.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
It's debatable but I think that Filppula represents the best young offensive weapon the Red Wings have presently in place behind the aging core of Datsyuk (33), Zetterberg (31) and Franzen (32). Helm's a valuable piece but not as likely as Filppula to replace some of the offense that will be lost when the big 3 eventually become less productive.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote