HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will the Blues make any deals?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Kimahri

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
This isn't a bad proposal, but I think it's the kind that won't happen. First, the Blues need an established guy who can play top minutes. Second, ahead of Schwartz, all of McDonald, Steen, and Perron have missed significant time with concussions. Healthy, they're very deep on left wing, but in a year, when McDonald's contract is up, if just one of Steen or Perron faces more injury problems, Schwartz is suddenly one of their top two left wings. It's even more severe if Steen ends up centering their third line.
While I understand where you are coming from, it also goes both ways. And I know you're not the one who came up with the idea, but it's just for conversations sake. All the Yandle talk has come up from the notion that phx is deep on defense while they really aren't. We are deep in defensive prospects who haven't proven they are even #5 or #6 or even #7 dmen yet. What happens when Schlemko, Summers, Stone, or even Runblad or Gormley prove they are not ready or will ever be ready to play on the big squad? We're short on NHL dmen.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
What is Gormley's role expected to be this year?

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:14 AM
DontgoZiggy

Loktionov + Hickey
for
Rights to Perron

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
While I understand where you are coming from, it also goes both ways. And I know you're not the one who came up with the idea, but it's just for conversations sake. All the Yandle talk has come up from the notion that phx is deep on defense while they really aren't. We are deep in defensive prospects who haven't proven they are even #5 or #6 or even #7 dmen yet. What happens when Schlemko, Summers, Stone, or even Runblad or Gormley prove they are not ready or will ever be ready to play on the big squad? We're short on NHL dmen.
Well, since you know I'm not the one who came up with the idea, the rest doesn't really matter.

For the sake of conversation, the Blues' need is for a guy who can play top-pairing minutes now. Gormley isn't that guy. Sure, value in a vacuum isn't bad, blah blah blah, whatever, but if "it goes both ways," then you have to address the needs of both teams. And if Phoenix truly doesn't have defensive depth, then it seems odd to trade Gormley away.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Loktionov + Hickey
for
Rights to Perron
That is the worst.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:24 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
What is Gormley's role expected to be this year?
Maloney has said that he strongly expects him to make the roster this year - if not by opening day, then sometime later in the season. I think Gormley could use some time in Portland, but if he develops pretty quickly, wouldn't mind calling him up sooner than expected. He'd likely be partnered with Klesla as our 3rd pairing to start.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Kimahri

Quote:
Well, since you know I'm not the one who came up with the idea, the rest doesn't really matter.

For the sake of conversation, the Blues' need is for a guy who can play top-pairing minutes now. Gormley isn't that guy. Sure, value in a vacuum isn't bad, blah blah blah, whatever, but if "it goes both ways," then you have to address the needs of both teams. And if Phoenix truly doesn't have defensive depth, then it seems odd to trade Gormley away.
The problem with Gormley for Schwartz is that it addresses neither teams "immediate" needs. I just threw it out there as an alternative to trading Yandle for obvious reasons

Old
07-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Kimahri

Quote:

Oh, and about the defensive depth part. I'm strictly talking about depth on the coyotes roster, obviously. We have guys looking to crack the roster left and right but you dont count on guys looking to crack the roster as a reason to trade a guy like Yandle. Thats asking for trouble. Trading a prospect from a position of strength, for a prospect of equal value in a position of weakness that will help both clubs in the near future is something I assumed would be of interest. Obviously I was wrong.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:41 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
That is the worst.
Haha, gotta start low and work up to a halfway decent offer. Whats reasonable for perron?

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
I'll just throw this one out there as a main part of a deal: Oshie for Yandle. Do the Blues need to add?

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:14 AM
BlueDream

I like the Gormley for Schwartz idea. Yeah it wouldn't solve our immediate need but long-term it would be great and Perron and Steen would still be there on LW.

I think the Blues will make some type of move for a d-man...possibly Bouwmeester.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:04 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
The problem with Gormley for Schwartz is that it addresses neither teams "immediate" needs. I just threw it out there as an alternative to trading Yandle for obvious reasons
but to be honest (and this was said the first time both teams conversed about it), the value is there. that is pretty rare on HF and it was a breath of fresh air. it doesn't help out immediately but both players fit the mold of the other teams needs, isn't lots of trash for one star, and is an equal value. If it was 3 years from now, this deal could be close to perfect.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:15 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Gunnarsson + bozak for Halak

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
You guys never give up.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Haha, gotta start low and work up to a halfway decent offer. Whats reasonable for perron?
Upgrades, and that doesn't even get the conversation going.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Literally already said no to in this topic. Same exact proposal.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Literally already said no to in this topic. Same exact proposal.
Just flipped to the last page and commented. MY apologies.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Just flipped to the last page and commented. MY apologies.
No big deal but I have to ask.

If you had Halak, would you trade him for Bozak/Gunnarsson?

Old
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
alpine4life

I'm not sure what would be involved, but Coyotes & Blues would make awesome trading partner when it comes to other teams needs..

Top 6 FWDs to Phoenix, Top Pairing DMan, Bottom scoring depth to St-Louis

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
No big deal but I have to ask.

If you had Halak, would you trade him for Bozak/Gunnarsson?
Who in their right mind (except Leafs fans) would do that deam

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Aeneas

what would it take from the habs for perrons rights

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Who in their right mind (except Leafs fans) would do that deam
Well I hoped maybe seeing it from the other direction might deter him in the future

Old
07-05-2012, 10:31 AM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Quote:
Well I hoped maybe seeing it from the other direction might deter him in the future
It is a very interesting way to look at it honestly. That goes for any trade. Yea, it is from an outside fan's perspective, but it is nifty.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I've suggested Schwartz for Gormley in the past. I would prefer trading for Yandle. But there could be plenty of reasons why that wouldn't happen. Phoenix has a top four of OEL, Yandle, Michalek and Klesla. They also have Morris. Then there are Summers, Stone and Schlemko all young players who can at least play and might have upside. On top of that, even without Gormley they have Goncharov who they're excited about, Rundblad and 2011 first rounder Connor Murphy who'll turn pro after one final year in the OHL. They could part with Gormley and be fine on D. However, with Whitney leaving and maybe Doan leaving and their forward cupboard bare of legitimate top end talent, a prospect like Schwartz is exactly the kind of Rundblad-for-Tarasenko readjustment of organizational depth the Blues did a couple summers ago. The Blues having drafted Schmaltz means little when he's probably 3 years from turning pro. That just gives them flexibility down the road.

I would do the Schwartz for Gormley idea as a backup if the Coyotes don't want to move Yandle. Gormley would be starting in the NHL from the getgo this year if the Coyotes blueline weren't already so crowded. It's similar to how a few years ago Schwartz would be starting for the Blues but now the team is much deeper and he'd be starting out in Peoria out of logjam concerns rather than readiness concerns.

The result would be the Blues could give both Cole and Gormley a chance to win a top-four spot. Would it be better if he were more established? Maybe. But is it a better idea than bringing back Colaiacovo out of desperation? Hell yes. They'd be hurt by not having Schwartz to replace McDonald but Steen, Perron and Sobotka are your top three LWs even after McDonald leaves. And they'll have time to continue drafting forward talent.

Yandle would cost more than Schwartz.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
what would it take from the habs for perrons rights
Gorges + something significant. It won't happen, the something significant would have to be really significant for me to bite.