HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay Bouwmeester to Edmonton?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:38 AM
DropIt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Since Jay Bouwmeester has entered the NHL, no team has been better with him than without. True story.
Neat, we can let him go in two years from now and deal with it then rather than hand him out for free in order to get one season of 2.6 million in cap space... It makes zero sense.

Since joining the Oilers, Ryan Whitney has never played on a team that finished better then a bottom 2 team in the league.

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:39 AM
DropIt

Quote:
We win even if Ewanyk never makes AHL ice. Staios had negative value to us.
He did to us, so I guess we win since he played in the NHL and logged real minutes vs imaginary value

Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 AM
DropIt

Quote:
Cervenka won`t be moved, he`s going to play top line center for you. And the other two would be very hard to move to get cap space. You'd certainly need to take a contract and cap hit back in any deal for Comeau or Babchuk.
Not if we let them all go at the end of the year... the same time that we would gain all that valueable cap hit from Whitney's free agent status.. all without letting Jbo go

Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
He did to us, so I guess we win since he played in the NHL and logged real minutes vs imaginary value
I watched how effective Staios was for you. I don't think you can consider that a win. He played himself right into your press box. Don't sugar coat it, Staios was far from effective as a Flame.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:43 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Neat, we can let him go in two years from now and deal with it then rather than hand him out for free in order to get one season of 2.6 million in cap space... It makes zero sense.

Since joining the Oilers, Ryan Whitney has never played on a team that finished better then a bottom 2 team in the league.
True statement as well. But he has played playoff games for both Pittsburgh and Anaheim. That`s two more teams than Bouwmeester has. And go figure, he was a top pairing d-man on both those teams.

I`m glad you guys hate this deal, it means we really are agreeing even though we are disagreeing.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:43 AM
wahoyaho

Quote:
Cervenka won`t be moved, he`s going to play top line center for you. And the other two would be very hard to move to get cap space. You'd certainly need to take a contract and cap hit back in any deal for Comeau or Babchuk.
Cervenka for top line center? Wow, is that what's it's come to in CGY?

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:44 AM
DropIt

Quote:
I watched how effective Staios was for you. I don't think you can consider that a win. He played himself right into your press box. Don't sugar coat it, Staios was far from effective as a Flame.
He played 18 games as a Flame and replaced a worse player making him an effective NHL player for us at the time, much more effective than a CHL player that has never played

Old
07-05-2012, 01:45 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Oilers fans are delusional if they think Whitney for Bouwmeester is a fair deal. We downgrade our defense for cap space? I'd rather keep Bouwmeester and his contract.
Its not a fair deal. The Oilers are almost ready to start competing for a playoff spot again. We don`t want guys who are a cause of why his teams miss the playoffs.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
He played 18 games as a Flame and replaced a worse player making him an effective NHL player for us at the time, much more effective than a CHL player that has never played
hmm you are both from red deer right at the regional border line of acceptable fanship. only one way to solve this issue.

rock paper scissors

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:49 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
You were paying him 3 million a year, for over a full season, and he played himself out of a job in year two of the deal. He didn't help the Flames make the playoffs, and wasn't a capable NHL player at that point. I loved Staios' effort, but he should have retired three seasons before he did. He may have replaced a worse player, but you can't tell me he was the best option available for the second season you had him.

And that doesn't even take into account that for the Oilers, the throw in contract that the Flames sent in the deal, Aaron Johnson, was far superior in his short stint than Staios was at that point...or in the following season.

Last edited by zeus3007*: 07-05-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
hmm you are both from red deer right at the regional border line of acceptable fanship. only one way to solve this issue.

rock paper scissors
Good ol' rock. Nothing beats rock.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Riptide

Quote:
We're 3.5 million under the cap. We haven't signed Yakupov yet, and he'll almost certainly get the 3.75 cap hit that RNH got. Plus we have to re-sign RFA's Gagner, Petry, Dubnyk, Peckham and Vande Velde.
You currently have 20m in cap space... Not suggesting you actually trade for Jbo, but the cap wouldn't be of any concern if you did (regardless of what you moved for him).

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
You currently have 20m in cap space... Not suggesting you actually trade for Jbo, but the cap wouldn't be of any concern if you did (regardless of what you moved for him).
But there is absolutely no point in paying more cap space out for a player who has proven throughout his entire junior, AHL and NHL career to not improve your team.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Good ol' rock. Nothing beats rock.
My spock says otherwise.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:02 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Dammit, you changed the rules. I challenge you and DropIt to a game of three person chess.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Dammit, you changed the rules. I challenge you and DropIt to a game of three person chess.

Challenge accepted.
My Grand Empress will ruin you all.

OT:
You're making it sound like the Flames improve by subtraction of Bouwmeester.
We're definitely headed for a rebuild if we do, which management has already prevented as a result of Feaster's actions.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:09 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Challenge accepted.
My Grand Empress will ruin you all.

OT:
You're making it sound like the Flames improve by subtraction of Bouwmeester.
We're definitely headed for a rebuild if we do, which management has already prevented as a result of Feaster's actions.
I love how the actual hockey discussion has become OT. I'm suggesting that Whitney isn't a huge downgrade on Bouwmeester (pending his health I admit), and the cap space you gain next summer would be better spent if used on another UFA d-man, should you be able to sign one. Honestly, I just don't think Bouwmeester is a winner, which is why I don't want anything to do with him in Edmonton. Past history is kind of on my side in that one.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
But there is absolutely no point in paying more cap space out for a player who has proven throughout his entire junior, AHL and NHL career to not improve your team.
He would be the best defenseman on the Oilers. If that's not improvement I don't know what is.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:17 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
He would be the best defenseman on the Oilers. If that's not improvement I don't know what is.
He was the best defenseman on the Panthers and they were no worse without him.

He is the best defenseman on Calgary (arguably, I prefer Giordano) and they have gotten worse since he joined the team.

He was the best player on the San Antonio Rampage during the lockout, and the team was still awful.

He was traded to the Chicago Wolves for the playoffs that year and finally played a playoff game, but made little impact, scoring zero points in the playoffs while his team made it to the finals.

He was the best player on the Medicine Hat Tigers and never made the playoffs. The year after he left, despite him being, at the time, arguably the best junior player in the world, the Tigers made round 2 of the playoffs.

He has continuously proven to be a non-factor in the ability for his teams to improve.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:22 AM
MessierII

I don't question JBows ability but I question whether a team can actually accomplish anything with him on it. I don't think you can find a player with a bigger tradition of losing.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:25 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I don't question JBows ability but I question whether a team can actually accomplish anything with him on it. I don't think you can find a player with a bigger tradition of losing.
Exactly my point. The guy is obviously a skilled hockey player, but for some reason, that just doesn't translate to team success.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Henrik To Daniel

I get that he's not a winner, but it's not like the Oilers are anywhere close to making an impact. He would be a good guy to have as a mentor for your younger defensemen, easing them up the depth chart as he logs 25+ mins a game.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:40 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I get that he's not a winner, but it's not like the Oilers are anywhere close to making an impact. He would be a good guy to have as a mentor for your younger defensemen, easing them up the depth chart as he logs 25+ mins a game.
Why would we want to bring in a guy who doesn't know how to win to mentor our young players? I'd rather bring in depth players who have won something and work hard. And I think the Oilers are closer than you realize to being an impact team. This could be a playoff contending team this year, if we get one more d-man or have a d-man come in and blow expectations out of the water (J. Schultz, Klefbom). And traditionally, the turnarounds in rebuilds like this aren't slow. Look at Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh and even LA...years of mediocrity followed by one or two tweener years and then contending. I'm not saying this is that tweener year, we might be another season away from it, but the Oilers are improving a lot. I don't want a guy like Bouwmeester holding us back.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:41 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I don't think mentoring loser mentality is the direction we want to go.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:33 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Oilers fans are delusional if they think Whitney for Bouwmeester is a fair deal. We downgrade our defense for cap space? I'd rather keep Bouwmeester and his contract.
I'm excited about the battle of Alberta always! 6-0 for Edmonton this season!! two in the shootout?

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote