HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Question about prospects/line-up

Old
07-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 500
As the roster currently stands, I think Holland has a very good shot at being on the team

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
As the roster currently stands, I think Holland has a very good shot at being on the team
Lol true but that doesn't mean much. Hell we only have 3 centers on the roster though.

Palmieri is pretty much a lock to make the team. There is no reason he shouldn't be on big club next year unless he has a terrible camp or something.

Etem should not be on the team next year unless he has an unbelievable camp and preseason. I'd say less then 10% chance he's on big club next year.

Maroon has a decent shot to here as a 4th liner. It really depends on how many other FA's come in.

Holland largely depends on Ryan IMO. If Ryan is moved, I gotta think a better option will come the other way. However apparently he impressed the hell out of BB at the recent camp. If Ryan stays then there's a decent chance he's on the big club, if he has a solid camp. I still hope we add another center though with out moving Ryan. Although I have no faith that Murray will pull off such a move.

I'd say Palmieri is almost a lock to make team. Maroon would be next IMO because of what role he could fill. Followed by Holland, and a tiny chance Etem makes it, although I'd say it's a very remote possibility.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Why not? He was our best AHL player, and in his few NHL games last year he was with Getz and Perry. Not saying it's definite he'll play there.
BINGO

We wouldn`t be so stupid to hold 1st line player in A for all season.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Lol true but that doesn't mean much. Hell we only have 3 centers on the roster though.

Palmieri is pretty much a lock to make the team. There is no reason he shouldn't be on big club next year unless he has a terrible camp or something.

Etem should not be on the team next year unless he has an unbelievable camp and preseason. I'd say less then 10% chance he's on big club next year.

Maroon has a decent shot to here as a 4th liner. It really depends on how many other FA's come in.

Holland largely depends on Ryan IMO. If Ryan is moved, I gotta think a better option will come the other way. However apparently he impressed the hell out of BB at the recent camp. If Ryan stays then there's a decent chance he's on the big club, if he has a solid camp. I still hope we add another center though with out moving Ryan. Although I have no faith that Murray will pull off such a move.

I'd say Palmieri is almost a lock to make team. Maroon would be next IMO because of what role he could fill. Followed by Holland, and a tiny chance Etem makes it, although I'd say it's a very remote possibility.
Lately i became more and more confused whether Etem could make the team.

First of all, he`s LW.
If we are not trading Bobby, we have Ryan, Cogliano and Beleskey there. RW there is more competition - Perry, Selanne (hopefully), Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, Staubitz. While this isn`t necessarily meaning he`ll get a spot, let`s take a look at his stats in his short stint with Crunch last season.

He had 3 goals in 6 games to along with neutral +/-.

Depending of moves, (especially if Bobby is moved), Etem could have a really good chance making it - our line up isn`t as strong as LA, or even Dallas in the upcoming season. If Etem have put up a lot of work again - him making the roster is nothing unrealistic.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Would be great if Maroon could start playing and producing with Getzlaf and Perry. That would free DSP to play with the Finns maybe.

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-Palmieri
DSP-Koivu-Selšnne
Beleskey-Bonino-Staubitz/Cogliano

I would like to see Cogliano traded away and some bigger guy brought in just to have more size. Of course, if there's no one good then keep Cogliano.

That's pretty young lineup but hopefully the defence can help with possible turnovers and whatnot. This team does have a lot of offensive potential if RPG bounces back, Selšnne continues being awesome and the kids could too score some goals.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
BINGO

We wouldn`t be so stupid to hold 1st line player in A for all season.
Uh, let me play devil's advocate and ask...if he (Maroon) was a first line player, why didn't he stay on the first line or even on the team for more than a few games?

IMO, he got tried on the top line like just about everybody on the team. He didn't stay there because he didn't do the job. He will stay in the A until he proves (if he can) he is an NHL level player.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Uh, let me play devil's advocate and ask...if he (Maroon) was a first line player, why didn't he stay on the first line or even on the team for more than a few games?

IMO, he got tried on the top line like just about everybody on the team. He didn't stay there because he didn't do the job. He will stay in the A until he proves (if he can) he is an NHL level player.
That is what i was trying to say - if he was good, then why he stayed only few games up in the NHL

Wether i didn`t explain my thoughts well enough or you misunderstood me

I doubt that anyone exept Ryan in our system could be good enough to play with Getz and Perry.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
That is what i was trying to say - if he was good, then why he stayed only few games up in the NHL

I doubt that anyone exept Ryan in our system could be good enough to play with Getz and Perry.
OK, I thought you were saying he wouldn't be in the A because he was a first line player. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Great minds think alike.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
TeMoZ

Quote:

Was Kunitz good enough when he played with them and the twins still produced? Ryan is a completely different style of player than Getz and Perry. Ryan is big but plays soft and scores soft goals. The majority of his goal or scoring chances came off rushes, he's a rush player like the Finns. Not one who is going to set up down low and work a cycle with the twins.

That's why Ryan doesn't seem to fit with them. They need a guy who is either big or plays big, preferably left handed shot, to grind with them and get in the slot when the cycle demands it. Now I'm saying Maroon is the guy but he definitely is worth a look.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I'm a bit surprised everyone's jumping on the Holland bandwagon this quickly. Not that I dislike the more favourable views on him, but it has just been a prospect camp, and one guy gets left out or bumped down on a about all those lineups, who didn't have to be there any more, and who has shown quite some promise himself, and at the NHL level, at the end of last season. Nick Bonino. He's not as flashy, but I would not be too fast to pull Holland over him in the depth chart for next year. It's going to be very interesting to see what he can do.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
I'm still driving the Bonerwagon. He's going to have a good season, I think.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Bonino is an intelligent player with good hands. Hopefully he can improve skating during off-season, that would help him greatly.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I still think DSP is the guy to play with Getz and Perry. Perfect style of play and capable of 20 goals and 50+ points on that line. Book it Dano.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Kunitz is a complementary player, and he seems to accept that role. Ryan, on the RPG line fills that same role, but I think he chafes under that responsibility, and restriction. The 1st line goes as Getzlaf and Perry do. Ryan is expendable on that line. Take him off of it, and you might lose a few points, but it wouldn't be tough to replace the majority of them with someone like a Chris Kunitz, or perhaps a Palmieri or DSP-type. To me, he's made it clear he doesn't want to be a complementary player. He wants to be the star of his own line, where he doesn't need to adjust his own game to someone else. Some of this is definitely ego, and Ryan wants to take a more prominent role, but he also wants to be "the guy" on his line. Like it or not, that's never going to happen playing on Getzlaf and Perry's line, and even Selanne keeps him off the 1st PP unit.

I think, ultimately, one of the things that keeps Ryan from seamlessly fitting with Getzlaf and Perry are his own desires to lead his own line, and not feeling like he should need to change his game to accommodate Getzlaf and Perry's style. That's just a feeling I get from watching him vs. other players who have played with the two of them.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Kunitz is a complementary player, and he seems to accept that role. Ryan, on the RPG line fills that same role, but I think he chafes under that responsibility, and restriction. The 1st line goes as Getzlaf and Perry do. Ryan is expendable on that line. Take him off of it, and you might lose a few points, but it wouldn't be tough to replace the majority of them with someone like a Chris Kunitz, or perhaps a Palmieri or DSP-type. To me, he's made it clear he doesn't want to be a complementary player. He wants to be the star of his own line, where he doesn't need to adjust his own game to someone else. Some of this is definitely ego, and Ryan wants to take a more prominent role, but he also wants to be "the guy" on his line. Like it or not, that's never going to happen playing on Getzlaf and Perry's line, and even Selanne keeps him off the 1st PP unit.

I think, ultimately, one of the things that keeps Ryan from seamlessly fitting with Getzlaf and Perry are his own desires to lead his own line, and not feeling like he should need to change his game to accommodate Getzlaf and Perry's style. That's just a feeling I get from watching him vs. other players who have played with the two of them.
Regardless of whether or not people think Ryan is being selfish I think this is an excellent point. I also think there is a lot of validity to it. If he can put up 30+ goals for four years being a spare part on multiple lines, what might he do if we let him be the cornerstone of his own line? How about building a line around him? For a team that was two points from missing the playoffs for three straight years, a willingness to try something new might not be such a bad idea.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Yeah, I've been a part of that choire for a while. I completely agree.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
We must give Ryan his own line, and we must never entertain offers for him.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I still think DSP is the guy to play with Getz and Perry. Perfect style of play and capable of 20 goals and 50+ points on that line. Book it Dano.
I'm probably the only guy not sold on him being a consistent 20 goal scorer in this league. I hope I'm wrong though. Holland and Palmeiri have shown at times the flash of pure talent that makes you remember why they were high draft picks, I haven't seen that with DSP. He works as hard as anyone, no doubt, so do a lot of grinders. He will certainly be a useful player down the road, I just don't see the scoring upside others do.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
I'm probably the only guy not sold on him being a consistent 20 goal scorer in this league. I hope I'm wrong though. Holland and Palmeiri have shown at times the flash of pure talent that makes you remember why they were high draft picks, I haven't seen that with DSP. He works as hard as anyone, no doubt, so do a lot of grinders. He will certainly be a useful player down the road, I just don't see the scoring upside others do.
I see it as being the old expression of "horses for courses". If they put him anywhere else I doubt he would be a 20 goal scorer. But I think on that line he could/would. He did put up some decent point totals in juniors even though that wasn't what got him drafted. His willingness to go to the net and muck it up on that line puts him in a great position to score 20 I believe.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
KenWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
This. I see DSP with a 35ish pt (15 goals, 20 assists) season with the Getzlaf and Perry line. DSP can score goals, but he's primarily a guy who plays hard, can cycle the puck and create opportunities for other players.

KenWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
UnknownAvenger

I see us starting the season with a Top9 of:

DSP - Getz - Perry
Ryan - Holland/Bonino - Palmieri
Cogs - Koivu - Selanne

With the 4th energy line I guess being a combination of:

Bonino/Holland (though may be better for Holland if he can't make the team as 2C, to stay down another half a year or so versus 4th line minutes), Beleskey, Staubitz, Maroon, Brittain, Sexton, Wagner, McMillan (wth happened to him anyhow...)?

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
I'd say O'Marra has a good shot at 4C, depending how the battle between Holland and Bonino goes or if we get another FA brought in.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
We must give Ryan his own line, and we must never entertain offers for him.
For the record, that's not what I'm trying to say at all. I do think Ryan's future here will be decided by it though. Ryan's already expressed a bit of frustration during this last season about not being "the guy" on his line. When he talks about how he doesn't feel Anaheim has done enough to show him they want him, I think it's things like this that play into it. Not being a fixture on the 1st PP. Not being the centerpiece of a top six line. I don't really believe Ryan made all those comments recently just because of a few trade rumors. I think he's frustrated about these other things too, and it boiled over.

Even if I didn't think Ryan's future with this team had an expiration date now, I don't think he'd be all that interested in re-signing with the Ducks if he didn't get those things. I'm not even sold that, if he did get those things, he'd be interested, because I'm sure from his perspective he sees the grass as being greener on some of the other teams. That's why I expect him to be traded within the next two seasons.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
UnknownAvenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I'd say O'Marra has a good shot at 4C, depending how the battle between Holland and Bonino goes or if we get another FA brought in.
I liked O'Marra in his short call-up last season and he'd be a nice 4C IMO. I think hes a free agent right now, though, not sure if they plan to re-sign him ?

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote