Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks sign Bryan Allen. 3 years 3.5 million

Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
LizardKing1

vCash: 500
The way ive seen Allen play. He uses hes size to clear hes own end. Good at postitioning and hes not so easy to dangle around, he also controls the puck well for hes size + blocks shots. Hes for sure better at opening passes than Brookbank. Needles to say; he fights too.
Im really happy with this sign.
Last season we didnt have the #1 big defensman.(like kings have Greene)

Allens stops Ovechkin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMA29L6zPq4

Allen stops Malkin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFOw9QrtLFI

Last edited by LizardKing1: 07-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.
LizardKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Oldracer

Canes fan here. Hate to lose Allen. He's the definition of a journeyman player, hard nosed, earns his $ every night. Great addition to any team.
We are heavy with young D, and with the Corvo (hometown discount) signing, he was the odd man out.
Good Luck - you guys will love him!

Oldracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldracer View Post
Canes fan here. Hate to lose Allen. He's the definition of a journeyman player, hard nosed, earns his $ every night. Great addition to any team.
We are heavy with young D, and with the Corvo (hometown discount) signing, he was the odd man out.
Good Luck - you guys will love him!
thanks, that's great to hear. Looking forward to see Allen in Ducks jersey.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Markus078

Allen is a great pickup for the Ducks. Big, mean and staying at home. I like it!

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Q&A: Bryan Allen
The new Ducks defenseman talks about his enthusiasm for coming to Anaheim

How did the negotiations go?
There were various teams that were interested, but Anaheim was higher on my list of places to eventually go. When they called with an offer, it didn’t take long to accept.

How would you describe your game for Ducks fans who haven’t seen you?
I’m more or less a stay-at-home defenseman. I’m also someone who plays with a bit of an edge. I’m not necessarily fighting all the time, but I’m a team player who stands up for my teammates and plays with an aggressive style.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|ANA|home

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Neat fact I just learned from the Ducks' facebook page: Allen had 188 blocked shots last season, 4th overall in the NHL.

Suddenly, I like this signing a bit.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Yeah, this signing looks a lot more better as the time goes by.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Yeah, this signing looks a lot more better as the time goes by.
Agreed but the Souray signing seems to do the opposite IMO.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

To me he is a third pairing guy who kills penalties, not a 3.5M player. Matt Greene is one of the few guys in that role I think is worth his money, he's more valuable than Allen and doesn't make as much.

Lots of teams were after him, drove up the price. He's a guy who could have been had on the trade market, too.

Souray is a better player, he's just highly prone to injury. He did a nice job in Dallas last year for the most part, they would have gladly re-upped at the same terms, almost 1.5M less than the Ducks paid though.

07-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
To me he is a third pairing guy who kills penalties, not a 3.5M player. Matt Greene is one of the few guys in that role I think is worth his money, he's more valuable than Allen and doesn't make as much.
In what ways is Matt Greene more valuable?

Quote:
Lots of teams were after him, drove up the price. He's a guy who could have been had on the trade market, too.
What is your source for that information?

Quote:
Souray is a better player, he's just highly prone to injury. He did a nice job in Dallas last year for the most part, they would have gladly re-upped at the same terms, almost 1.5M less than the Ducks paid though.
For the most part? He had a good first half, that's it. He's also a player that was playing in the AHL VERY recently.

Again, what's your source for the Stars willing to pay less than we did?

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBoddington View Post
For the most part? He had a good first half, that's it. He's also a player that was playing in the AHL VERY recently.
There is zero question that his time in the AHL was only due to his contract, however.

And he had a productive start to the year in Dallas, and wasn't overly productive in the second half. That doesn't mean that everyone feels he wasn't contributing anything then.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:

When Matt Greene signed his contract the cap wasn't at $70 mil. The salary cap is almost the double compared to 05/06, it only makes sense that the salaries go up just as much. $3.5 mil today is the same as $2.2 mil when the salary cap was invented. It's pretty reasonable for Allen, and the majority seem to agree.

Edit: actually, Allen's contract converts to $2.84 mil if you do the math relatively to salary cap that was in 08/09. Which was when Greene signed his contract, with a cap hit of $2.95 mil. Greene's contract compares to a $3.64 mil contract today.

Last edited by Elvs: 07-05-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:49 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Matt Greene also signed his contract in 2009, it's hard to compare in the big increase in cap.

Granted Allen was getting close to Greene's salary later on in his Canes contract

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:49 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
When Matt Greene signed his contract the cap wasn't at $70 mil. The salary cap is almost the double compared to 05/06, it only makes sense that the salaries go up just as much. $3.5 mil today is the same as $2.2 mil when the salary cap was invented. It's pretty reasonable for Allen, and the majority seem to agree.

Edit: actually, Allen's contract converts to $2.84 mil if you do the math relatively to salary cap that was in 08/09. Which was when Greene signed his contract, with a cap hit of $2.95 mil. Greene's contract compares to a $3.64 mil contract today.
What this guy said, even put the maths in for us lazy people

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Dear god...You might have had a point had Greene signed an UFA contract this july but comparing Greene's contract (which was not an UFA signing) from 2009 to Allen's UFA deal in 2012 is just plain idiotic.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote