HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Top Offseason Target? [Update Edition]

View Poll Results: Who is now at the top of your wish-list?
Shane Doan 26 46.43%
Peter Mueller 3 5.36%
Rick Nash 1 1.79%
Bobby Ryan 14 25.00%
Alex Semin 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Top Offseason Target? [Update Edition]

New names now that the free agent dominoes have started to fall.

For the purposes of this poll, the Flyers can only acquire one of these forwards and they are all willing to play for the Flyers. Assume fair trade value and market rate contracts for free agents.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:08 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Doan, then Mueller, then Ryan, then Semin.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:44 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
At first I didn't want anything to do with Semin, but I almost feel like the Flyer's might be just the team to turn his attitude around....and Giroux to Semin is making me salivate....too much actually.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:47 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

I really think we need a Bobby Ryan to add to this lineup.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:09 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
New names now that the free agent dominoes have started to fall.

For the purposes of this poll, the Flyers can only acquire one of these forwards and they are all willing to play for the Flyers. Assume fair trade value and market rate contracts for free agents.
Perhaps add Rozsival (right handed D) and Wolski (another reclamation project).

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:32 AM
BillDineen

Another player no one has mentioned is Huselius. He missed basically all of last season. Another reclamation suggestion.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Semin is going to get at least 5 per year over 3 years. We wont be getting him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:17 AM
BillDineen

How about the all reclamation project roster:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Kristian Huselius ($2.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.200m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.250m)
Wojtek Wolski ($2.000m) / Matt Read ($0.900m) / Peter Mueller ($2.000m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.800m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,296,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $3,903,056

Old
07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
You're giving Huselieus and Wolski more than they're going to get.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:46 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I think the thing about Ryan that appeals to me is that he wants to be here. I wouldn't want to pay the price for him though

Semin would be interesting, but I'm wary. Doan would probably be the best fit.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:47 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You're giving Huselieus and Wolski more than they're going to get.
Just guessing. I have no idea what teams would be willing to pay for them.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Doan w/o question

good consistent two-way veteran

as long as it's reasonable...2-3 years around $4.5m a season

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Voted Mueller, but that's basically because I don't believe Doan will come here (either because he won't leave Phoenix, or he won't come this far East).

If we sign Mueller, I think we also need to sign someone like Winnik or Wellwood or Nick Johnson or whatever--another depth forward who can serve as an insurance policy in case he gets hurt. Any two of those players will cost less than most of the options above--and I don't see why Huselius is a better option than Mueller. Wolski? Meh. I guess that's ok.

Semin has been discussed at length. I was on board, then off. Now I'm somewhere in between. I think Semin-Giroux-Jagr would have been fantastic on a few levels, but I have concerns about brining him here, where, as far as I can tell, the only player that speaks Russian is Bryz (maybe Jake?).

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:11 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Shane Doan.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Doan won't be making a decision until next week and if the Coyotes are staying in Glendale, then he is apparently resigning there. If they are not then the Flyers and every other team will be competing for him. Like the player, don't like our odds. Personally I wouldn't waste time in the Doan sweepstakes to walk away with nothing and allow other players to sign.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I think the thing about Ryan that appeals to me is that he wants to be here. I wouldn't want to pay the price for him though

Semin would be interesting, but I'm wary. Doan would probably be the best fit.
I agree. I would love to get Ryan, but not for a huge asking price. I feel more comfortable with him on G's wing then some of the other options.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
brucewaynegretzky

People I would like to sign: Doane, Dan Ellis, Scott Hannan.

If we're gonna get Ryan I don't want to give up more than one roster player, and NOT Voracek or Couturier.

brucewaynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
How about the all reclamation project roster:

Kristian Huselius ($2.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.200m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.250m)
Wojtek Wolski ($2.000m) / Matt Read ($0.900m) / Peter Mueller ($2.000m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
You really went bananas with the forward depth concept here. There are certain things about it that look impressive and interesting at first glance, but ultimately I think this roster is inefficient because the talent distribution is too flat and and the depth chart is cluttered with too many redundant/interchangeable players.

I like the daringness of the idea (four capable scoring lines, almost like a World Championship tournament team), but I have a lot of doubts about the execution.

Wolski-Read-Mueller would be the most overqualified 4th line in the league. They are great players for being on a 4th line, but they aren't a great scoring line and they aren't a great checking line. Matt Read's 900K cap hit is a fantastic asset, and I think it's extremely underutilized here. Ditto for Eric Wellwood (arguably our 2nd best defensive forward) carrying an ELC and not getting a regular role. In order for him to get on the ice, you have to put a $2M+ cap hit in the press box. It also appears that Voracek is being used on two-way/shut down line, but I think they can get the most out of him this year by promotion up the depth chart.

On the other hand, I see Huselius really watering down the top line. I appreciate the desire to spread talent throughout the roster in the hopes that Huselius can piggy-back Giroux and Hartnell to a productive season, but instead I would prefer to maximize Giroux's playmaking gifts by surrounding him with top flight talent that won't waste his creativity can put a scare into the opposition.

If you take Giroux out of the picture, it's almost like you have 3 2nd lines (of varying quality) and a beefed up 3rd line. That's enough to beat a lot of teams in the regular season, but I think it has extreme limitations against elite playoff competition, where the opponents will have top end players eating up a lot of ice time and limiting the exposure of the weak opposition your depth is used to taking advantage of.

All the filler also limits your ability to put 5 premium skaters on the ice in crucial situations.

My final bone to pick is that I don't think that this litter of free agent additions is good enough to justify spending up to the cap by putting Chris Pronger on LTIR (therefore destroying the Flyers ability to bank cap space and add significant players at the deadline).

I would prefer the following plan: sign a viable first line free agent to play with Giroux (Semin or Doan) and don't go chasing any other major moves right now. That will allow you to keep Chris Pronger as a regular scratch and possibly be in position to add $8-12 M in salary add the deadline if so needed.

You have an elite first line and the depth is still enviable. It's likely that the defense still needs a fix, and hopefully that can be done by the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Semin has been discussed at length. I was on board, then off. Now I'm somewhere in between. I think Semin-Giroux-Jagr would have been fantastic on a few levels, but I have concerns about brining him here, where, as far as I can tell, the only player that speaks Russian is Bryz (maybe Jake?).
I was just thinking about this earlier, and I believe that's true. It's a good point and possibly a very real draw-back (Semin still struggles to speak much English). But you never know. He and Bryz could be a modern odd couple. I can see the feel-good movie in my head now: goofball goalie teaches surly Soviet sniper how to fall in love with the game again and see the world through a different set of eyes, as adversity makes way for dizzying success on and off ice.

Last edited by Damaged Goods: 07-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
King Fish

Yandle first. We need some filler on the forwards but nothing special. Why do people want Mueller? His brains are all scrambled, he'll play 20 games next year then out with another concussion (3rd or 4th). Sad but true.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
You really went bananas with the forward depth concept here. There are certain things about it that look impressive and interesting at first glance, but ultimately I think this roster is inefficient because the talent distribution is too flat and and the depth chart is cluttered with too many redundant/interchangeable players.

I like the daringness of the idea (four capable scoring lines, almost like a World Championship tournament team), but I have a lot of doubts about the execution.

Wolski-Read-Mueller would be the most overqualified 4th line in the league. They are great players for being on a 4th line, but they aren't a great scoring line and they aren't a great checking line. Matt Read's 900K cap hit is a fantastic asset, and I think it's extremely underutilized here. Ditto for Eric Wellwood (arguably our 2nd best defensive forward) carrying an ELC and not getting a regular role. In order for him to get on the ice, you have to put a $2M+ cap hit in the press box. It also appears that Voracek is being used on two-way/shut down line, but I think they can get the most out of him this year by promotion up the depth chart.

On the other hand, I see Huselius really watering down the top line. I appreciate the desire to spread talent throughout the roster in the hopes that Huselius can piggy-back Giroux and Hartnell to a productive season, but instead I would prefer to maximize Giroux's playmaking gifts by surrounding him with top flight talent that won't waste his creativity can put a scare into the opposition.

If you take Giroux out of the picture, it's almost like you have 3 2nd lines (of varying quality) and a beefed up 3rd line. That's enough to beat a lot of teams in the regular season, but I think it has extreme limitations against elite playoff competition, where the opponents will have top end players eating up a lot of ice time and limiting the exposure of the weak opposition your depth is used to taking advantage of.

All the filler also limits your ability to put 5 premium skaters on the ice in crucial situations.

My final bone to pick is that I don't think that this litter of free agent additions is good enough to justify spending up to the cap by putting Chris Pronger on LTIR (therefore destroying the Flyers ability to bank cap space and add significant players at the deadline).

I would prefer the following plan: sign a viable first line free agent to play with Giroux (Semin or Doan) and don't go chasing any other major moves right now. That will allow you to keep Chris Pronger as a regular scratch and possibly be in position to add $8-12 M in salary add the deadline if so needed.

You have an elite first line and the depth is still enviable. It's likely that the defense still needs a fix, and hopefully that can be done by the deadline.

I was just thinking about this earlier, and I believe that's true. It's a good point and possibly a very real draw-back (Semin still struggles to speak much English). But you never know. He and Bryz could be a modern odd couple. I can see the feel-good movie in my head now: goofball goalie teaches surly Soviet sniper how to fall in love with the game again and see the world through a different set of eyes, as adversity makes way for dizzying success on and off ice.
I was just throwing something out there, but it is funny that your description basically summarized the team's strategy on D (flat talent across) which they just attempted to move away from by signing Suter and not Carle. Carle, Meszaros, Coburn, and Grossmann are all 2nd pairing D men and as a group paid a lot last season and would have been even more had the team signed Carle.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I was just throwing something out there, but it is funny that your description basically summarized the team's strategy on D (flat talent across) which they just attempted to move away from by signing Suter and not Carle. Carle, Meszaros, Coburn, and Grossmann are all 2nd pairing D men and as a group paid a lot last season and would have been even more had the team signed Carle.
I realized that comparison as I was typing, but I don't think flat talent across was really the plan. It kind of happened by emergency.

Looking at the 2010-11 roster on paper, Pronger-Carle was an elite 1st paring, Timonen-Coburn was an elite 2nd pairing and O'Donnell-Meszaros was an elite 3rd pairing. That team was soaring through January with a .700+ points percentage and challenging for a Presidents' before Pronger's back injury caught up to them and everything started to come unglued after the ASG.

Homer tried to stick to that model on D again last year, but it was derailed by another serious Pronger injury and they have been scrambling for bodies ever since.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Shane Doan on the first poll, Shane Doan on the second poll.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
There are number of guys on offense and defense they should puruse IMO. Obviously not all of them, but of the remaining UFAs left, I'd so go after any of the following:

Defense:
Barker, Cam D EDM 26 $2,250,000 2012 (UFA)
Colaiacovo, Carlo D STL 29 $2,125,000 2012 (UFA)
Morrisonn, Shaone D BUF 29 $2,075,000 2012 (UFA)
Jurcina, Milan D NYI 29 $1,600,000 2012 (UFA)
Commodore, Mike D TBL 32 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
Hannan, Scott D CGY 33 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)

Offense:
Doan, Shane R PHO 35 $4,550,000 2012 (UFA)
Langenbrunner, Jamie R STL 36 $2,750,000 2012 (UFA)
Sturm, Marco L FLA 34 $2,250,000 2012 (UFA)
Fehr, Eric R WIN 26 $2,200,000 2012 (UFA)
Mueller, Peter R COL 24 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)
Winnik, Daniel L SAN 27 $950,000 2012 (UFA)

In no particular order (other than Doan first) and in no particular quantity. I think any of those defenders listed are better than whomever we have internally for #6 defensemen and it wouldn't hurt to add a guy like Langenbrunner to play on the third line (or even fourth line). A lineup looking this is pretty solid IMO. Better than last year's if you ask me.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.500m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jamie Langenbrunner ($4.250m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Cam Barker ($2.750m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,296,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $903,056

Cam Barker I am intrigued by as a reclamation project. He was projected to be a pretty good dman when he was drafted. If you don't like him in there switch him with another guy on my list (or put in MAB or Gus if you are one of those people adamant about having patience for a guy to turn in to a #6 defender).

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Syracuse Bulldogs

I feel like teams are going to overpay all of those players. Why not replace a guy like Jagr (who when the Flyers signed him was a low risk - high reward type of player) with a similar low risk - high reward player?

I'm thinking that it might be worth taking a flyer on Kristian Huselius. I know he is injury prone, but if they can get him to sign a 1 year deal around 1.5 to 2 million dollars.

Worst case, he gets injured and we put him on IR freeing up cap space during the season.

Best case, he returns to form and the Flyers get a cheap 60pt player.

Syracuse Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Posted in the other offseason thread as well....warms the heart if true...
Quote:
Carchidi via twitter: The Flyers are not willing to trade Sean Couturier in a Nash or Ryan deal.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote