HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Old
07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I really want Semin. Options are becoming thin, and to me it's him or Mueller. Both high risk high reward players.
Mueller would probably be a better team player and cost less.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Mueller would probably be a better team player and cost less.
If he plays the whole season, he's absolutely the smarter pick--based on production per cap hit, etc.

But, well, that's far from a sure thing.

Looking a bit closer at the numbers, though, Semin seems to suffer from regular injuries. He's never played more than 77 games (respectable) nor fewer than 62 games--but he seems to miss about 10 games almost every year.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If he plays the whole season, he's absolutely the smarter pick--based on production per cap hit, etc.

But, well, that's far from a sure thing.

Looking a bit closer at the numbers, though, Semin seems to suffer from regular injuries. He's never played more than 77 games (respectable) nor fewer than 62 games--but he seems to miss about 10 games almost every year.
I'd rather have someone play less games, at a less cap but is a better team player than one who can play through the season and be a possible cancer to the team, and screw with the team overall.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Semin has one hell of a slapshot and a one time shot. Dude can pick corners and scores in bunches (at least 6 hatricks that I remember). Really would love to have a big time goal scorer for Giroux to pass to not to mention not giving up resources that we would have for Nash or Ryan.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:15 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I think it's comical that this title juxtaposes "Semin" with "don't shoot"

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:52 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
Semin has one hell of a slapshot and a one time shot. Dude can pick corners and scores in bunches (at least 6 hatricks that I remember). Really would love to have a big time goal scorer for Giroux to pass to not to mention not giving up resources that we would have for Nash or Ryan.
I certainly agree with the points made here......Semin is a sniper with one heck of a quick release as well.....If he came to philly i would certainly not complain,and i am one that tries not to believe either all the Hype, or all the negativity the MEDIA or at times certain players say about a player....At a good price Semin would be worth giving a 2 yr deal to....

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
After hearing an interview with Semin's agent, no thanks. It was basically a "let him play offense and none of that nonsensical defensive stuff, and let him play in all situations, or he's going to take his ball and go home to the KHL".
Semin ****ing plays defense just fine for a forward, people need to stop making that lazy stereotype. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if hr goes the KHL route and grabs whatever money he can.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Semin ****ing plays defense just fine for a forward, people need to stop making that lazy stereotype. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if hr goes the KHL route and grabs whatever money he can.
This big time.

It seems whenever a Russian player is mentioned, it is almost always followed by a naysayer with the classic "lazy"/"defensively terrible" stab. Obviously +/- isn't the best way to determine a players' defensive responsibility but a career + 65 would lead me to believe that the player in question is more often than not doing something correct on both ends of the ice.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:59 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
This big time.

It seems whenever a Russian player is mentioned, it is almost always followed by a naysayer with the classic "lazy"/"defensively terrible" stab. Obviously +/- isn't the best way to determine a players' defensive responsibility but a career + 65 would lead me to believe that the player in question is more often than not doing something correct on both ends of the ice.
Here's your cue TSN....rolling tape...action!!

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:38 PM
NHLsnipers

Semin is a crazy talent. One of the few true snipers left in the game. Its a risk/reward scenario and the Flyers are much better off with him than without him.

Give him a two year $10M deal and make him prove himself. Worse case he doesn't and you let him bounce. Unfortunately, that is what he probably wants. Hes made $6 and $6.7 the past two years.

On the upside, he puts up 30+ goals and Giroux has a sniper to pass to!

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:33 AM
clodejirew

I would love to see semin here if it was a 1 or 2 year deal. Dude has serious skills and would be nasty on G's wing.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Damaged Goods

I have to admit, I am torn on the Semin Question.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:23 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Semin is a crazy talent. One of the few true snipers left in the game. Its a risk/reward scenario and the Flyers are much better off with him than without him.

Give him a two year $10M deal and make him prove himself. Worse case he doesn't and you let him bounce. Unfortunately, that is what he probably wants. Hes made $6 and $6.7 the past two years.

On the upside, he puts up 30+ goals and Giroux has a sniper to pass to!
I would sign Semin to a 2-year, $10 million deal yesterday. Would he take it to try to put up 35-40 on Giroux's wing and earn himself a Parisean payday in 2014?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:26 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Here's your cue TSN....rolling tape...action!!

I'm usually a fan of Pierre, but that was the worst display of sports "journalism" I've ever seen.

Semin is a streaky player. There's no denying it. But I dont equate that to "laziness" or "heartless". Consistency is a skill every bit as much as passing, skating, shooting, leadership, or whatever. Some players are very consistent, some arent.

Unlike most simpletons believe, there's no switch inside your mind that you flip that says "hey, I'm going to bring my A game today". Some players have that quality that they are able to bring their A game every night, but it doesnt have to do with their work ethic-- it's just some sort of innate quality that some people have. It's the same as players who have that innate "clutchness".

Consistency is an issue, but if you sign him with the expectation that you wont see the same Alex Semin every night, you might be pleased with his work at the end of the year.

And that's not even getting started on the stereotyping him as a bad defensive player as well.

That said, for all I know, he could be a very lazy person. But I am not in a position to judge his work ethic, and I think the TSN panel isn't either-- certainly not given the assumptions they make solely based on his nationality.

I'd be okay with Semin for a short term, 5.5m deal. Otherwise, I'd be weary. My expectations are tempered, and that's where you need to start with players like Semin, imo.

And, also, Semin is extremely similar to Carter. In fact, I see no difference in value between the two. Both are streaky, smooth skating forwards with solid defensive abilities who possess world class wrist shots. Could you imagine the character assassination Carter would have received last year when he was traded if he was a Russian?

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I don't get the Semin hate. Yes, he's Russian and insanely talented. He's not lost defensively, he's pretty damn solid in the Dzone for a scoring winger. He might look uninterested on the ice now and then, but at the same time he's got the ability to score from anywhere. I'd love to have him on a 2 year, 11ish-million deal.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's hillarious.

Just because all other options are thinning in FA, everyone has changed their minds and wants semin.

You guys wouldn't of had him on the team for free during the season.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:03 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd love to see Alex Semin in the Flyers orange and black. The only problem, and I've stated this numerous times, is that his agent Mark Gandler is notorious for trying to dictate to GMs how to do their jobs. He's also notorious for advising clients to hold out and is known to cause trouble if he feels that his clients aren't getting enough ice time, puck time, playing on the PP or PK, etc......Alex Semin is perfectly fine, it's the agent that's the problem.
If that's the case, Semin needs to find a new agent. The guy I heard on the radio was pretty much exactly what you've described, and he should be speaking on his client's behalf.

If Semin is the player his agent spoke about, no thank you. I don't want that kind of attitude anywhere near my team, particularly where there are a lot of young players. If he's not, then his agent is putting him behind the 8 ball to start any negotiations.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's hillarious.

Just because all other options are thinning in FA, everyone has changed their minds and wants semin.

You guys wouldn't of had him on the team for free during the season.
I think that's a bit unfair. There was a critical mass of posters here who were somewhere between open, intrigued, and outright enthused about Semin a week ago.

It isn't a perfect fit, but in some ways, it was always the best option, if you're willing to accept whatever baggage he carries (which I think is substantially less than the anti-Russian TSN crowd seems to think).

Again, I've been in and around DC for the better part of 7 years. He's always been regarded as more enigmatic then problematic around here--with the notable exception of a few disgruntled former players. (But remember the hate from some of the Coyotes for Bryz--it happens).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
ilovetheflyers8

I'd prefer a one year deal, but I cant see that happening. If the team signed him for 4 years at 5-6 million I would be okay with that, but I think he is going to Detroit.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-05-2012 at 09:50 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:16 AM
SgtJoseph

No problem at all if we got Semin......But i am one of the few that liked Nik Zherdev as well.....Always liked players with mad skills who can bring the crowd to its feet at a moments notice with a sick move or crazy snipe that they make look easy.....Players that make it "look easy or effortless " are often looked at as lazy or not caring.....Mike Schmidt the great HOF 3rd basemen was often maligned for being lazy etc....But he was not lazy, he just made it look easy...Same with Jeff Carter in my opinion.Mad Skills here would look nice with ROO ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziU1MkAAK9o

Last edited by SgtJoseph: 07-05-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
bendersauce

I feel like it would be pretty low risk high reward. If you can get him for 5mil or under for 3 years or less, i'd be pretty happy about it. We need someone who can score to play with giroux. Is hartnell going to get 37 this year? probably not. I dont think he is that bad defensively and even if he is briere is awful in our end and everyone still loves him. The guy can finish, there is no doubt about that. I think he is just what we need on our top line.

bendersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
No problem at all if we got Semin......But i am one of the few that liked Nik Zherdev as well.....Always liked players with mad skills who can bring the crowd to its feet at a moments notice with a sick move or crazy snipe that they make look easy.....Players that make it "look easy or effortless " are often looked at as lazy or not caring.....Mike Schmidt the great HOF 3rd basemen was often maligned for being lazy etc....But he was not lazy, he just made it look easy...Same with Jeff Carter in my opinion.Mad Skills here would look nice with ROO ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziU1MkAAK9o

I think there's more to Semin's bad reputation than just that, but what you mentioned about "making it look easy" is what draws me to Semin as a first liner here. It's transcendent ability that allows a player to make a difficult, awkward game like hockey look as natural as a fish in water. With Jagr gone, Giroux is now the only Flyer with true "making it look easy" talent. It's not often you can get talent like that at a bargain. Shane Doan certainly doesn't have it (although he obviously brings a lot else than Semin lacks).

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Link?

That seems contradictory--if he wants to play in all situations, then it seems like he isn't interested in an offense-only role, no?

EDIT: If he's saying that Semin wants an up-tempo, high scoring system, then I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing--he never seemed a great fit for the Coyotes anyway.
CharlieGirl and I do not see eye to eye on everything. But the one thing you can count on her is being honest. If that is what she says went down then that is what went down. If by chance we would sign Semin I would hope it would be for one season only but time will tell. I know one thing. If he dogged it in this locker room he would get his ass handed to him big time.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
CharlieGirl and I do not see eye to eye on everything. But the one thing you can count on her is being honest. If that is what she says went down then that is what went down. If by chance we would sign Semin I would hope it would be for one season only but time will tell. I know one thing. If he dogged it in this locker room he would get his ass handed to him big time.
i agree with this.....I think ROO is one of those who would not hold back ripping his a$$ if he were to slack etc....And god knows LAVY would go beserk on him.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
MrHockey1982

Semin is a great talent for sure. But he doesn't fill our need for size on the wing. I'd consider giving him a short term contract with a reasonable cap hit to see how it might work with G and Hartsy but I'm skeptical.

If we did sign him, though, at least he could earn some money by pounding out a bad-@$$ bongo solo!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote