HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 11:11 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Today on 1260 said "he's not done yet, to any stretch of the imagination". I believe that Chevy will target a journey man defenseman via free agency and will target teams seeking a top 4/puck moving defenseman. If I'm Chevy I'm on the horn with ken holland tangling enstrom, since they missed out on suter and carle.

Darren Helm is nicely locked up for the next 4 years at a little over 2+million per year. Great penalty killer with offensive upside and some scoring punch and lots of playoff experience (65 games). I don't believe he has any form of a no trade clause.

Brendan Smith tonnes of upside.

These are two roster players that would interest me.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:13 PM
epo

He said sign a FA and then trade Enstrom, so what are we getting back?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
He said sign a FA and then trade Enstrom, so what are we getting back?
Not sure what holland is willing to give up? Fippula would nice or helm +.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
On 1290 today Lawless asked Chevy about lineups, he said don't even bother because he's not done yet. He's still looking to upgrade. To me the biggest hole right now to upgrade is the 2nd line RW position. Chevy has stated he's talking to Wellwood.

I'm thinking he wants to upgrade that position, and if that fails we'll go back to Wellwood.

Looking at stats from last year, currently there are quite a few RW UFAs left(especially compared to LW, Kostitsyn is at the top with 36 pts):

Selanne 66 pts
Semin 54 pts
Doan 50 pts
Wellwood 47 pts
Sykora 44 pts

After that the list drops off pretty quick. I'm thinking with Wellwood putting up record numbers that probably won't be repeated, everyone else in this list is an upgrade.

Edit: He wasn't just talking about lines, but rather who would play with Jokinen on the first line. Chevy cutting him off to me indicates he wants a big juicy top 6 player, and the only hole is one spot on the RW. We have 5/6 top 6 players.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Tatar is a must have piece coming back to the Jets if we trade Enstrom to Detroit.

Guy is going to be a star.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Anyone know where I can listen to Chevy's interview?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:12 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Tatar is a must have piece coming back to the Jets if we trade Enstrom to Detroit.

Guy is going to be a star.
Personally, I would want Sheahan. Kid is going to be a stud. He sounds like he has all the characteristics that TNSE speaks of when they talk of how they want to shape this team too.

Assuming the return is not a roster player and the return is two prospects and a 1st, I'd want a package of Sheahan with one of Nyquist/Jarnkrok/Jurco/Tatar and a 2013 1st rounder.

I don't think they'd be willing to include Brendan Smith.

As far as roster players are concerned, the only one of real interest to me is Helm. Filppula is a fine player, but without agreeing to an extension, I wouldn't be okay with him as the central piece in the package.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:16 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Anyone know where I can listen to Chevy's interview?
Are you talking about my post? He was on Hustler + Lawless today at 4:55 PM for about 10 minutes, but I don't think you'll find anything online.

They're on from 4-6 pm tsn1290. I think you can watch it on wfptv as well.

Dreger is going to be on at 4:30 tomorrow, and Jokinen at 4:55.

EDIT! Found it:

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/

Right sidebar "TSN Radio 1290, Kevin Cheveldayoff"

4:25 is what I was talking about.

Last edited by allan5oh: 07-05-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
pcanuck

Feels good when you can predict what the GM does, Montoya (check), Jokinen (check) and b4 the rumors...

to those naysayers who criticized, how have u done this far in forecasting?

Old
07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Feels good when you can predict what the GM does, Montoya (check), Jokinen (check) and b4 the rumors...

Pretty much everyone here wanted Jokinen.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Not sure what holland is willing to give up? Fippula would nice or helm +.
As Untouchable21 mentioned, Filpulla is in the exact same situation as Enstrom. Absolutely no point in dealing Enstrom because we don't want to possibly lose a UFA, and then get a soon to be UFA back.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:03 AM
pcanuck

The jets are still in talks with kostitsyn ... accd to the rumor bin but i can't imagine chevy spending any more money on forwards. We're set there if we resign wellwood to a 2 year deal at say 1.4M per. Look for chevy to find a young stay at home dman at say 1.5M per. Lukowich is a prime candidate.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Andrei Kostitsyn is one player I have never been sold on. If we do indeed sign Andrei Kostitsyn, I'll be taking the wait and see approach to that one. Risk/reward, but he'll certainly have to prove he can contribute because to this point he has yet to do it consistently to what his potential is or was, anyway.

I'm just not a big Andrei Kostitsyn fan, honestly.

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm not an overly big Kostitsyn fan, I actually think I would prefer him over Wellwood. He'd bring the talent level we need as I think he could score 20-25, add some decent size and give us a pretty good scoring weapon in our top 6-9. I also think his scoring potential tops what Wellwood could provide. Kostitsyn may be a better and more true top 6 forward than Wellwood. At the end of the day, I like Wellwood and think he fit in well for us, but I also think we could use Kostitsyn's potential goal scoring over Wellwood's never-shoot playmaking approach. We could use more jam in the goal scoring category and Kostitsyn may fit in well here with guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Miettinen, etc.

In order, i'd prefer Semin, Kostitsyn, Wellwood.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn is one player I have never been sold on. If we do indeed sign Andrei Kostitsyn, I'll be taking the wait and see approach to that one. Risk/reward, but he'll certainly have to prove he can contribute because to this point he has yet to do it consistently to what his potential is or was, anyway.

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm not an overly big Kostitsyn fan, I actually think I would prefer him over Wellwood. He'd bring the talent level we need as I think he could score 20-25, add some decent size and give us a pretty good scoring weapon in our top 6-9. I also think his scoring potential tops what Wellwood could provide. Kostitsyn may be a better and more true top 6 forward than Wellwood. At the end of the day, I like Wellwood and think he fit in well for us, but I also think we could use Kostitsyn's potential goal scoring over Wellwood's never-shoot playmaking approach. Kostitsyn may fit in well here with guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Miettinen, etc.

I just hope he respects the team and coaches enough to not go out the night before a game. >_>

Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm not an overly big Kostitsyn fan, I actually think I would prefer him over Wellwood. He'd bring the talent level we need as I think he could score 20-25, add some decent size and give us a pretty good scoring weapon in our top 6-9. I also think his scoring potential tops what Wellwood could provide. Kostitsyn may be a better and more true top 6 forward than Wellwood. At the end of the day, I like Wellwood and think he fit in well for us, but I also think we could use Kostitsyn's potential goal scoring over Wellwood's never-shoot playmaking approach. Kostitsyn may fit in well here with guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Miettinen, etc.

Yeah, I prefer Kostitsyn over Wellwood. Kostitsyn is better defensively, better puck control, similiar hands. Only downside is that he cannot play in the middle, but I think with Jokinen, Little, Slater, Antropov, Burmistrov and likely Cormier all on the roster there will be lots of center depth on the roster.

Kostitsyn is a nice option since we can pencil him in on the 2nd line to start the year...but if Scheifele, Telegin, Mahacek, Burmistrov prove that they are ready he is easy to slot down in the lineup to the 3rd line with some PP time to allow for those youngsters to step up, he is much more valuable in a bottom 6 role than a Wellwood.

A all former USSR republic line would be cool Ponikarovsky (Ukraine) - Antropov (Kazakhstan) - Kostitsyn (Belarus)

Old
07-05-2012, 08:52 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Kostitsyn is another player I would love the jets to stay away from.
He is nothing special especially at his 3.25mm contract he was getting.

So terribly in consistant, and plays when he wants.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Agree on all accounts, Holden.

But man, I cannot stop hoping we sign Semin. Never thought I'd say that but with really putting a good amount of thought into him the last few days, I just think he'd stand a good chance here in Winnipeg to be lights out good. A prime location to really prove he is an elite talent and could put his critics to rest. Of course, he could do that in Detroit as well, for instance.

Just the thought of having a guy who could score 80-90 points and I don't think too many people would be at all surprised. "He had the talent all along, he just put it together".. is what we'd be hearing. Semin reminds me quite a bit of Kovalchuk a few years ago. Many questioned his heart, dedication and character, but look at him now after he got to NJ, what a player he's become.

I'm trying not to get too hyped up about the idea as there is a very good chance a team offers him a ludicrous contract and that team would not be the Winnipeg Jets. There is also a very good chance he simply wouldn't choose Winnipeg to come play for.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Yes I'd also prefer to sign Wellwood at 2-2.5 M/1 year and take the safe way instead of throwing 3-3.5 M at AK. He could be great as our #2 RW but he could also be an inconsistent floater. I don't think he'll score more than 10-15 points as Wellwoods production. That's not worth 1 M more and the possibility that he brings issues off the ice to our locker room.

*Edit*:
To the Semin talks: I'd sign him in an blink of an eye. I'd give him about 5.5 M/3 years which would probably be a little overpayment but I'd take the gamble as I think he'd turn out to be what everyone always imagined he could be. Just like Guerzy stated above me.

But, hands down, I REALLY REALLY doubt Semin would want to sign here. PIT, DET, NJ for example have way better chances. So I am not thinking much about him

Last edited by GermanJetsFan: 07-05-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:

Sun rises this morning (check)

Old
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
jamiebez

Quote:

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm not an overly big Kostitsyn fan, I actually think I would prefer him over Wellwood. He'd bring the talent level we need as I think he could score 20-25, add some decent size and give us a pretty good scoring weapon in our top 6-9. I also think his scoring potential tops what Wellwood could provide. Kostitsyn may be a better and more true top 6 forward than Wellwood. At the end of the day, I like Wellwood and think he fit in well for us, but I also think we could use Kostitsyn's potential goal scoring over Wellwood's never-shoot playmaking approach. We could use more jam in the goal scoring category and Kostitsyn may fit in well here with guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Miettinen, etc.

I actually prefer Wellwood for the reasons you've stated here: he's a "pass first" player. Look at the rest of our Top 6: Ladd, Kane, Jokinen and Little are all "shoot first" types: Kane, Little and Ladd all had more goals than assists last year I think we need a playmaker more than another goal scorer.

I think having Wheeler and Wellwood on the right side would give us a real unique offense where the play is set up from the right side (kind of like a poor man's St. Louis and Stamkos, but on two lines). Might be tricky to defend against for teams with shutdown centers.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
blues10

Quote:
The jets are still in talks with kostitsyn ... accd to the rumor bin but i can't imagine chevy spending any more money on forwards. We're set there if we resign wellwood to a 2 year deal at say 1.4M per. Look for chevy to find a young stay at home dman at say 1.5M per. Lukowich is a prime candidate.
I think the prime candidate is Scott Hannan.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I actually prefer Wellwood for the reasons you've stated here: he's a "pass first" player. Look at the rest of our Top 6: Ladd, Kane, Jokinen and Little are all "shoot first" types: Kane, Little and Ladd all had more goals than assists last year I think we need a playmaker more than another goal scorer.

I think having Wheeler and Wellwood on the right side would give us a real unique offense where the play is set up from the right side (kind of like a poor man's St. Louis and Stamkos, but on two lines). Might be tricky to defend against for teams with shutdown centers.
Excellent points. You may be spot on. All in all, I just want to see our top 6-9 producing goals on a consistent enough basis that it gives the team the chance to win each night. Whether it be Wellwood or Kostitsyn, or whoever, I hope we can get some good, solid production out of these guys.

Does anyone know what Kostitsyn's playmaking game is like? any good?

Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I have a feeling the Jets are shooting for Semin, but if they miss out then they'll try and bring back Wellwood.

I initially thought Wellwood was as good as gone (a la Glass and Mason), but it's been a few days since free agency started and he still hasn't signed anywhere. Maybe it's a situation where he'll take the best offer he receives to the Jets and see if they'll match.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I have a feeling the Jets are shooting for Semin, but if they miss out then they'll try and bring back Wellwood.

I initially thought Wellwood was as good as gone (a la Glass and Mason), but it's been a few days since free agency started and he still hasn't signed anywhere. Maybe it's a situation where he'll take the best offer he receives to the Jets and see if they'll match.
my concern with wellwood is i remember in an interview, right around when the season ended, he mentioned term was going to be a big thing for him.

I think he's likely to be looking for around 3 years, and the question is, does wellwood at that term make sense for the jets? I guess it's not bad, but I do think after bouncing around on 1 year contracts and what not for the last 4 years, he'll probably want something a little meatier.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
my concern with wellwood is i remember in an interview, right around when the season ended, he mentioned term was going to be a big thing for him.

I think he's likely to be looking for around 3 years, and the question is, does wellwood at that term make sense for the jets? I guess it's not bad, but I do think after bouncing around on 1 year contracts and what not for the last 4 years, he'll probably want something a little meatier.
What I don't want to see is the return of Kyle Well-fed. I'm sure Chevy and company are a bit leery about signing anybody to any long term contract if they've had some inconsistencies in the past.

Closed Thread