HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 08:29 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Maybe true but do you think for one second that GMGM views it that way? Besides the role of the 3rd line center is to do exactly what Beagle does..win faceoffs, play strong d, be physical etc.

Your 4C role is misguided IMO...if you want your 4c to be the "shutdown" guy then he will have to play 15-20 mins a nite.

The fourth line plays maybe 10 minutes and is there to provide energy, not cost the team and chip in a goal here or there.

I would have no idea why the Caps would demote him at this point and bring in a mercenary to take his place. That wouldn't send such a good message to the gang don't you think?
Beagle was good because he was a HunterHockey kind of player. Next to no offensive skill but competes like a moose. Hopefully Oatsey has a more...intelligent...idea on how this type of hockey team should be played. Then again, if we are replacing Semin with Crabb and Wideman with Hillen, it sounds like the shell is being even more reinforced.

Early-Franchise Minnesota Wild hockey here we come. Woewowooeooewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I'd prefer Sykora to Doan at this point, since IMO Sykora would be much more willing to look at a shorter deal. Doan is a slightly better fit, but I don't like those extra years on a 35+ deal. Mueller is probably worth a short-term shot given the amount of cap space they have to play with.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Beagle was good because he was a HunterHockey kind of player. Next to no offensive skill but competes like a moose. Hopefully Oatsey has a more...intelligent...idea on how this type of hockey team should be played. Then again, if we are replacing Semin with Crabb and Wideman with Hillen, it sounds like the shell is being even more reinforced.

Early-Franchise Minnesota Wild hockey here we come. Woewowooeooewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Beagle was good because he had a coach who showed confidence in him and gave him an opportunity.

There aren't too many David Bolland's out there and who's to say Beagle can't pot 10 or so goals if given that role for the whole year? I would think that acceptable offense given how well the other areas of his game are.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I always thought it was easy to add wingers, relative to other positions at least. Maybe I am wrong about that. Not so long ago, wing was a position of strength. What happened?

Flash Fehr Knuble Kuz to name a few. Laich moving to C needs to be re-visited. Anyone on the farm ready to help - Galiev perhaps.... and crickets.

George has been adding wingers, Hendricks Ward Brouwer and now Crabb - but we are still thin.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I have no problem with Beagle as the #3C to start the year. Especially if MP85 is slotted in as the #4C and can add a little plucky scoring punch on that 4th line. Our bottom 6 is really quite solid if you ignore the gaping hole at #1/2RW:

Chimmer - Beagle - MaJo
Hendricks - Perrault - Crabb
Ward

You can win with that bottom 6. You really can. It's got some size, some speed, some grit, some nasty, and some scoring pop.

Doan is just such a perfect fit for our needs. Unfortunately, I suspect the org may be thinking they can push MaJo up to that #2RW, and stick Ward/Crabb on the 3rd line. Doesn't really hurt the bottom 6, but robs us of critical scoring punch in the top-6 and puts us in a spot where we have ZERO scoring depth should we suffer some injuries (or really just Ovie getting injured).

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 07-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
txpd

Quote:

if the caps go with a traditional 3rd line, they are going to use a checker. its not going to be 90 or 85. since it was beagle in the playoffs and it worked so well, i would expect it to be him. it makes no sense not to go that route.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Beagle earned the 3C. Offense be damned. I think he'll be fine in that role.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Beagle earned the 3C. Offense be damned. I think he'll be fine in that role.
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Thats a nice 3rd line really. Hopefully Oates keeps his lines together for more than a period or two.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Thats a nice 3rd line really. Hopefully Oates keeps his lines together for more than a period or two.
It will be interesting to see how Ward performs this season , especially if Oates goes with a more offensive approach. Which he should be doing..

Old
07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
It will be interesting to see how Ward performs this season , especially if Oates goes with a more offensive approach. Which he should be doing..
I didnt have quite the hate that some did with his production last year. He's making a bit too much, but he's solid. I think it'll be a better year for him overall when its all said and done.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if the caps go with a traditional 3rd line, they are going to use a checker. its not going to be 90 or 85. since it was beagle in the playoffs and it worked so well, i would expect it to be him. it makes no sense not to go that route.
I'd much rather it be Like. With Like on the third line, he does have SOME bit of offensive skill, so that kinda kills two birds with one stone.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:08 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Honestly, Chimera - Like - Ward is picture perfect.

Speed guy to bang and rush the forecheck.
Wardo to hit the next guy when he finally makes it in the zone and Chimmer doesn't clearly win the puck.
Like to command the play and be a quasi-threat but still be defensively responsible.

I don't see Chim - Beags - Ward contributing **** on offense.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
discobob

Quote:

I'd be OK if the 3rd line played HunterHockey, as long as the 1st and 2nd line employ a more aggressive system. Stick the 3rd line out against the other teams #1's and play dump and chase, block everything, conservative hockey. Play a more aggressive system when our scoring lines are out there....

Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting up the play View Post
I'd be OK if the 3rd line played HunterHockey, as long as the 1st and 2nd line employ a more aggressive system. Stick the 3rd line out against the other teams #1's and play dump and chase, block everything, conservative hockey. Play a more aggressive system when our scoring lines are out there....
Except, the fourth Line would be HH too.

Hendy - ??? - Crabb.

It's like looking at it now we have...

1 Line of Almost BB like fun hockey. OV - Backs - Mojo?
1 Line of "WTF is this ****?" hockey. Like - Ribs - Brouwer?
2 Lines of HH.

Gonna be a lonnnnggggg year.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
BobRouse

Brooks Laich is not a true center. His face off skills are average and he isn't what Beagle is defensively or physically.

Laich is best suited on the 2nd line as a winger who can take defensive zone draws in lieu of Ribeiro who struggles in that category. While Laich is an average faceoff guy he crushes Ribeiro who is subpar.

MP should be the 4th line center. He stepped in quite admirably in the absence of Backstrom and does provide some good energy and forecheck.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Laich - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Beagle - Ward
Hendricks - Perreault/Sjogren - Crabb

Schultz - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Hillen/Erskine

As of today...that's the line up.

Not great...but not bad and still a playoff team if no one of significance gets injured.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Schultz - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Hillen/Erskine

Not great...but not bad and still a playoff team if no one of significance gets injured.
Oh my ****. Schultz...30 minutes a game?

Lawd.

Seriously, that lineup is complete *******.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Oh my ****. Schultz...30 minutes a game?

Lawd.

Seriously, that lineup is complete *******.
Its not that bad really.

Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Hey, at least we finally have a 2nd line center.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Chimera - Beagle - Ward

Schultz - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Hillen/Erskine

Right about that. I'd prob switch Schultz and Hamrlik but thats exactly what I was thinking too (maybe even swap Hendricks and Ward since Hendy had such good chemistry with Beagle)

Thats pretty darn respectable really. 3 potential 20 goal guys on the 2nd line is not bad at all. Full season of Backstrom and bounceback from Ovie is really the make or break of this team...not the addition of random mercenary X.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Don't forget addition by subtraction. That could mean alot.

Now, what if GMGM calls Gandler's bluff (if there is one) and the Caps can resign Semin for 1-2 years at 5.5?

Old
07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Now, what if GMGM calls Gandler's bluff (if there is one) and the Caps can resign Semin for 1-2 years at 5.5?
NO!!

Give up!!!

If you love something...set it free.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:38 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Don't forget addition by subtraction. That could mean alot.

Honestly, if we can bring back Semin. I will stop *****ing about this offseason.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
NO!!

Give up!!!

I agree, and the fact they have already reassigned #28 is telling, but being a message board, I had to ask....

Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
NO!!

Give up!!!

Set it free?

The Caps are like Barbaro.
Hot out of the gate for a while(BB Dayz)!
Something breaks(Hunter Hockey)...
...and then...

Old
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I agree, and the fact they have already reassigned #28 is telling, but being a message board, I had to ask....
I saw that on the development camp roster...I smiled.

Closed Thread