HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle signs for 6 years, $5.5 million cap hit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 11:52 AM
  #101
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
  #102
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 134
I think a few things need to be said.

We are a better team than on June 30 with these signings. With the cap going up and having cap space out the wazoo, overpaying a bit is not the end of the world. Our biggest hole was Defense, and while we didn't pull off the Suter signing and Weber trade that we all were hoping for, our D is a lot better than last year.

The other thing is the chance of why SFY signed Carle and Salo (just like why he drafted Koekoek). I think he feels that these guys are character guys that will fit in with the culture of this team. Sadly, that may be why Downie was expendable, but if he's trying to build Detroit mk.II, character guys is probably his target. Carle has connections to the team and seems like a standup guy, and no one has ever said a bad word about Salo. I put my faith in SFY to build us a good team that we can be proud of.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
  #103
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
I think a few things need to be said.

We are a better team than on June 30 with these signings. With the cap going up and having cap space out the wazoo, overpaying a bit is not the end of the world. Our biggest hole was Defense, and while we didn't pull off the Suter signing and Weber trade that we all were hoping for, our D is a lot better than last year.

The other thing is the chance of why SFY signed Carle and Salo (just like why he drafted Koekoek). I think he feels that these guys are character guys that will fit in with the culture of this team. Sadly, that may be why Downie was expendable, but if he's trying to build Detroit mk.II, character guys is probably his target. Carle has connections to the team and seems like a standup guy, and no one has ever said a bad word about Salo. I put my faith in SFY to build us a good team that we can be proud of.
Absolutely not. Downie had tons of character. He was loved here and had the respect of everyone in our room.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bolts/201...ing-ar-361372/
Quote:
"This was a tough day for a lot of us, coming to the rink and finding (Downie had been traded). He's been a warrior for this team and he's going to be missed,'' St. Louis said.
Quote:
Before the game, head coach Guy Boucher said the team had to push back the timing on many of the pregame meetings and preparations to allow the team to say goodbye to Downie, a popular player in the room since arriving in 2008 from Philadelphia.

"We had to let them mourn before the task ... and I tried to let them pay their respects to the man, the friend and the player that he was here and everything that he has given us,'' Boucher said.

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  #104
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Any friend of Nate Thompson is our friend. Desides Carle was rated the 6th best free agent

"6. Matt Carle
There is no expectation that the 27-year-old defenseman will leave Philadelphia, nor should there be, as he has developed into a 23-minute-a-game force on the blue line for a team that is ready, willing and able to keep him on board. "
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...se-is-sns-no-1

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
  #105
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I think Nate ended up doing some recruiting for us.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
  #106
Bolts265
Registered User
 
Bolts265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
I'm using what memory I have left but did we not use a 7th round draft choice on Matt's brother a few years ago as a kindness for a kid that will never play a minute due to an injury? Maybe he remembered that gesture from our organization and it helped in his decision to come back here over some other choices.

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  #107
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
I'm using what memory I have left but did we not use a 7th round draft choice on Matt's brother a few years ago as a kindness for a kid that will never play a minute due to an injury? Maybe he remembered that gesture from our organization and it helped in his decision to come back here over some other choices.
Yes. Koules was a friend of the family. If I remember right during the combine they discovered he had a serious heart condition.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
  #108
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Absolutely not. Downie had tons of character. He was loved here and had the respect of everyone in our room.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bolts/201...ing-ar-361372/
Didn't mean that in regards to his locker room presence. He was obviously loved by everyone, both the players and the fans. I was more referring to the on-ice character. I don't know if SFY wanted a guy that spends 100+ minutes in the box, especially on our top 6.

Still, probably thin. SFY may have just made a hockey trade to help restock the cupboards.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
  #109
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Didn't mean that in regards to his locker room presence. He was obviously loved by everyone, both the players and the fans. I was more referring to the on-ice character. I don't know if SFY wanted a guy that spends 100+ minutes in the box, especially on our top 6.

Still, probably thin. SFY may have just made a hockey trade to help restock the cupboards.
I think with Downie we knew what we had. A gritty top 6 guy who can score sometimes. I think SY wants another clutch guy on top 6. Not a Downie. Also if you can get a 1st rounder for a Downie...you do it. That kind of offer isnt gonna come around often for a gritty top 6 guy. Today the gritty top 6 guy may not really do all that much for your team as far as wins go.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
  #110
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I think with Downie we knew what we had. A gritty top 6 guy who can score sometimes. I think SY wants another clutch guy on top 6. Not a Downie. Also if you can get a 1st rounder for a Downie...you do it. That kind of offer isnt gonna come around often for a gritty top 6 guy. Today the gritty top 6 guy may not really do all that much for your team as far as wins go.
Especially in his case: "2 minutes for being Steve Downie"...

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
  #111
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Especially in his case: "2 minutes for being Steve Downie"...
Good point. Yea that didnt help his cause. Im sure Downie had something to do with it but my guess is thats more just the refs being *******s.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
  #112
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Didn't mean that in regards to his locker room presence. He was obviously loved by everyone, both the players and the fans. I was more referring to the on-ice character. I don't know if SFY wanted a guy that spends 100+ minutes in the box, especially on our top 6.

Still, probably thin. SFY may have just made a hockey trade to help restock the cupboards.
Pat Verbeek feels sad.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
  #113
HedMonster 77
Registered User
 
HedMonster 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Especially in his case: "2 minutes for being Steve Downie"...
can you give a link to it, i want to see that penalty

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
  #114
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
can you give a link to it, i want to see that penalty
Happened every game. Was weird if it didnt happen.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
  #115
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
Cooke cheap shots Downie in the back, Downie turns around, Ref gives to 2 minutes to Downie.

Repeat replacing Cooke with any other punk.

Seems the Refs in the West are treating him a lot better

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  #116
Off Center
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
6 years is a pretty long deal, but in 3 or 4 years, the cap will grow to make that 5.5 a non-issue in keeping a roster together. this is not a cap-killing deal long-term, especially when you consider a world where ohlund and salo are off the books, marty will be (sadly) retired or making a bit less, and we approach the less painful years of Vinny's contract, we will have plenty of room to build around stammer, hedman, and the future pipeline of talent marinating in the minors

Off Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  #117
LGB 26
Registered User
 
LGB 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
The best was when he got crushed and was called for a dive. FUUUU was I mad.

LGB 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
  #118
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Unbelievable how many times you'd watch Downie skate to the bench on a line change only to see him get punched in the back of the head or slashed/crosschecked from behind when the refs weren't looking. I truly liked the guy but don't miss him being the target of the refs just like Arty was.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
  #119
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Where do you slot Carle?

2nd pairing, 2 PP unit? I'm not familiar with the makeup of the Lightning's defense. Curious as to what situations you see Carle playing in?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
  #120
Glide5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
I am relieved too see this signing. I was worried that YZ wouldn't try to sign on 1 more solid defender. This fills a role we desperately need, and we didnt have to trade connolly to do so. Its an overpayment, sure, but I would rather have this guy on the team than not.

Lets hope he lives up to the contract.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:07 PM
  #121
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 500
Just got off the plane and saw this news! Best news I could have received all off-season, glad to see SFY addressed our team's serious weaknesses on d and I'm hoping for big things next year!

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:46 PM
  #122
MrMcGz
Registered User
 
MrMcGz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crestview FL
Country: United States
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
I like the deal. Carle is a solid 2 way d man who will be slotted 2-3 on this team. Will grow with our other d core and allow Brewer to play a little less and be more effective.

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
  #123
Picklepete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagame7474 View Post
If by improving the defense, you mean, gets beat every shift and turns the puck over constantly, then yeah, he improves the defense.
Jeezz...someone's sore.
Go back to philly boards, please.

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:16 AM
  #124
Realize
Registered User
 
Realize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany / Aachen
Country: Germany
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Unbelievable how many times you'd watch Downie skate to the bench on a line change only to see him get punched in the back of the head or slashed/crosschecked from behind when the refs weren't looking. I truly liked the guy but don't miss him being the target of the refs just like Arty was.
It's really strange.. I never liked him when he played for Tampa .. but know since he's playing for the AVs I like him. Don't know why (I like the AVs in the west, even if I cheer for Tampa in the East).

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:30 PM
  #125
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I never liked Carle but I hope he will prove me wrong, just every time I've seen him play he makes some stupid mistake!

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.