HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Weber?

Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Actually, he was apparently offered basically the same amount of money in Nashville as he was given here in Vancouver and he was offered more elsewhere than he got here. It wasn't about the money as much as he wanted to play in Vancouver. Hamhuis had several offers from teams around the league but was determined to play here.
that's not exactly true. Hamhuis was willing to come back TO Nashville for the same amount of money he took in Van. There was only ever two places he was willing to play. Nashville passed.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Top 6 Spaling

It's just impossible to plan the rest of our off-season until we know what's going on with the captain.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Probably. Can a track record get much worse than Poile's as far as losing talent? I know at times there have been circumstances beyond his control, but wow, lol.
Don Waddell?

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
Colten Teubert
2013 1st

for

Shea Weber (signed long-term)

Yeah....that's bad. Gotta give to get.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Jack de la Hoya

To follow up on my early post, and clarify a few things for my fellow Flyers fans, if Weber will not sign long-term, and if Nashville were to shop him, which of the three following packages would be most appealing?

- B. Schenn + L. Schenn +
- S. Couturier + A. Meszaros +
- Voracek + Coburn +

Assume the rest of the packages are roughly similar and composed of picks / prospects--whether it is two firsts or a first and a prospect, etc.--though I think less would be coming back if it is Vorcaek and Coburn because, from the Flyers perspective, the last package probably holds the most value (Coburn is easily a 2-3 defenseman).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
to follow up on my early post, and clarify a few things for my fellow flyers fans, if weber will not sign long-term, and if nashville were to shop him, which of the three following packages would be most appealing?

- b. Schenn + l. Schenn +
- s. Couturier + a. Meszaros +
- voracek + coburn +

assume the rest of the packages are roughly similar and composed of picks / prospects--whether it is two firsts or a first and a prospect, etc.--though i think less would be coming back if it is vorcaek and coburn because, from the flyers perspective, the last package probably holds the most value (coburn is easily a 2-3 defenseman).

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
I hope Weber signs long term with you guys but if he doesn't, I'm afraid you won't get close to a fair return for him. I still remember losing Pronger to Anaheim for Lupul, Smid, and picks. Assuming he is willing to sign with whoever he is traded for, I think you are probably looking at the same type of return for Weber: two good young players (not great) and 2 first round picks.

The good news is that both Lupul and Smid eventually panned out and one of the picks turned into Jordan Eberle so it could work out in the long term but having gone through the Pronger saga I wouldn't wish losing that quality of player on my worst enemy, let alone a stand up organization like the Preds.

I really hope Weber signs a long term deal with you guys.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Didn't Pronger have a NTC and had to approve the team he was being traded too?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Didn't Pronger have a NTC and had to approve the team he was being traded too?
I believe he did. Effectively, the status of Weber's contract (UFA after next year) gives him the same approval power; that is, the only teams willing to trade for him will be teams he is willing to sign with.

Unless he is a trade deadline rental and then the return might only be a draft pick.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
LongTooth

vCash: 250
Why wouldn't the Oilers put in an offer sheet for Weber? Why would they care to lose future number one draft picks? Would we match and then risk losing Weber just like we've lost Hamhuis and Suter?

LongTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I believe he did. Effectively, the status of Weber's contract (UFA after next year) gives him the same approval power; that is, the only teams willing to trade for him will be teams he is willing to sign with.

Unless he is a trade deadline rental and then the return might only be a draft pick.
Not nearly the same. We can trade Weber to whoever, signing him would be on them after this year but they'd still get a year of Weber. Pronger on the other hand, could only be traded to a limited number of teams.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarnberg

Offersheet scenarios are either:

1 - A team offers a huge 13 year deal for a large sum of money. They would lose draft picks. David Poile would match everyday of the week as they just did the work for us. Weber doesn't sign this IMO because if he really wants out, he knows we'll match.

2 - A team offers a one year deal for a large sum of money. They would still lose draft picks. Weber would likely sign this. However, is it worth it to that team to lose all those draft picks for a one year deal? Unless of course they knew Weber would absolutely sign with them the following year. But that is a risk I don't see a GM taking.

Given the two scenarios above and how few offersheets are used, I don't see offersheets playing into the Weber scenario.

I think with Weber we will see a large deal here or a trade.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:20 AM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

1 - A team offers a huge 13 year deal for a large sum of money. They would lose draft picks. David Poile would match everyday of the week as they just did the work for us. Weber doesn't sign this IMO because if he really wants out, he knows we'll match.

2 - A team offers a one year deal for a large sum of money. They would still lose draft picks. Weber would likely sign this. However, is it worth it to that team to lose all those draft picks for a one year deal? Unless of course they knew Weber would absolutely sign with them the following year. But that is a risk I don't see a GM taking.

Given the two scenarios above and how few offersheets are used, I don't see offersheets playing into the Weber scenario.

True, but I think the Oilers might be the exception. They've had the last three number one picks, they wouldn't care to lose future number one picks. Even if they forced the Predators to match, it would put us right back in the Hamhuis and Suter situation with Weber the following year.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTooth View Post
True, but I think the Oilers might be the exception. They've had the last three number one picks, they wouldn't care to lose future number one picks. Even if they forced the Predators to match, it would put us right back in the Hamhuis and Suter situation with Weber the following year.
For potentially one year of Weber though? I just don't see that happening, although stranger things have happened.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:25 AM
LongTooth

Quote:
For potentially one year of Weber though? I just don't see that happening, although stranger things have happened.
Yeah, I hear ya. It would be a nightmare for the Predators if it did happen.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
To follow up on my early post, and clarify a few things for my fellow Flyers fans, if Weber will not sign long-term, and if Nashville were to shop him, which of the three following packages would be most appealing?

- B. Schenn + L. Schenn +
- S. Couturier + A. Meszaros +
- Voracek + Coburn +

Assume the rest of the packages are roughly similar and composed of picks / prospects--whether it is two firsts or a first and a prospect, etc.--though I think less would be coming back if it is Vorcaek and Coburn because, from the Flyers perspective, the last package probably holds the most value (Coburn is easily a 2-3 defenseman).
I like the first deal. I think both brothers playing for us would give perhaps a unique incentive to stay here long-term, and I also think their perceived value as players has dipped a bit too much for folks, in general, due to the rise of 'sexier' prospects (i.e Couturier, Gardiner, etc...).

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
The first move (Or very close too) that Gillis ever did as a GM of Vancouver was to Offer Sheet David Backes.

I don't think Gillis has any problem throwing out an offer sheet to get a player.
Touche.

More broadly, sorry if it looks like this was getting derailed as a Weber to Van thread, I think the point here is the angle that if this is going to be Weber's intention, then it's a tough needle for Poile to thread because he has little negotiating leverage. If he pushes for anything more than the equivalent of two 1st, 2nd, 3rd picks, then the Canucks could just send a one-year offer sheet. If Poile tries to trade Weber to another team, Canucks could still offersheet Weber there.

Weber owes it to the Preds to A, be honest about his intentions, and B, make up his mind quickly because every day he leaves Poile in the wind is another day Poile's options to recover from a loss of Weber AND Suter get narrower and narrower.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:07 PM
MarkMM

Quote:

There is a 3rd option:

A team that has a good chance of signing Weber next season offersheets Weber for $8.4M this season.

1.) If Poile doesn't match, team walks away with Weber for the cost of two 1st's, 2nd, and 3rd.

2.) If Poile matches, sure he gets Weber for another year at a reasonable salary, but then is very likely to lose Weber next year for nothing at all because he can't trade Weber once he matches the offersheet.

This is the scenario that puts pressure on Poile to trade Weber now if he won't re-sign, before a no-win offer sheet arrives.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
There is a 3rd option:

A team that has a good chance of signing Weber next season offersheets Weber for $8.4M this season.

1.) If Poile doesn't match, team walks away with Weber for the cost of two 1st's, 2nd, and 3rd.

2.) If Poile matches, sure he gets Weber for another year at a reasonable salary, but then is very likely to lose Weber next year for nothing at all because he can't trade Weber once he matches the offersheet.

This is the scenario that puts pressure on Poile to trade Weber now if he won't re-sign, before a no-win offer sheet arrives.
Exactly. That's what I was getting at. What better way for a team to hurt the Nashville franchise. I was just throwing out the Oilers as a possible team to offer sheet, since their number one picks are more expendable.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Courtesy of cellblock303, Bobby Holik gives his thoughts on trading Weber

http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/trading-shea-weber/

I pretty much agree with what he's saying, although he's going under the assumption that Weber won't sign longterm with us.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
It's just impossible to plan the rest of our off-season until we know what's going on with the captain.
Sort of catch-22 because Weber likely won't sign until he sees what the plans for the future are. We're in a tought spot, just need to hope Weber is being more honest with Poile than Suter was.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

I pretty much agree with what he's saying, although he's going under the assumption that Weber won't sign longterm with us.
I think it's a pretty safe assumption at this point.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

If you trade Weber, I have to think it would not be to the Western Conference, especially the Red Wings.

The Flyers would offer you a pretty penny for him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

More evidence that Weber might be looking to be moved as he keeps the opportunity to be offer sheeted open.

@FriedgeHNIC: Shea Weber won't file for arbitration. NASH can't file, because it did last year. He remains an RFA, pending a new deal or an offer sheet.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Not nearly the same. We can trade Weber to whoever, signing him would be on them after this year but they'd still get a year of Weber. Pronger on the other hand, could only be traded to a limited number of teams.
No one is giving up significant assets for one year of Weber. I am sure contenders would be more than happy to give up a couple of draft picks to rent him for the year but if the Preds want to get the best return possible, he is going to have to have significant input into the process.

Assuming he doesn't want to re-sign with you guys (and I sincerely hope that isn't the case) Poile's biggest bargaining chip is that Suter/Parise/Crosby term deals may be eliminated in the next CBA, so if he wants that type of security he needs to agree to a sign and trade this summer.

A crappy situation all around. I feel for you guys.