HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Al Montoya signs with Jets (1 year, $601k)

Old
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Playing behind Lundquvist and Bryz didnt help that he has 51gp in the last 2 years
He was with the Rangers in 2005 -2008 and never cracked the lineup.

During his time with the Coyotes he dressed in 5 games over parts of 4 seasons as he was beaten out of the 2nd string job by Jason LaBarberra.

The past two seasons with the Islanders he dressed for 52 games with Dipietro in sick bay and Nabokov the starter. In essense he was a 3rd string goalie.

My seats are only 8 rows from the ice, he should be able to hear me pretty good when he lets a soft one in.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The more I learn about Montoya, the more I like this signing.

We basically could have gone two ways - an older washed up guy (Mason, Roloson, Ellis) who used to be a #1 goalie somewhere or a young guy who is less proven but also has more potential. Montoya had pretty good numbers pre-collision.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
He was with the Rangers in 2005 -2008 and never cracked the lineup.

During his time with the Coyotes he dressed in 5 games over parts of 4 seasons as he was beaten out of the 2nd string job by Jason LaBarberra.

The past two seasons with the Islanders he dressed for 52 games with Dipietro in sick bay and Nabokov the starter. In essense he was a 3rd string goalie.

My seats are only 8 rows from the ice, he should be able to hear me pretty good when he lets a soft one in.
Meh I wouldn't worry about that goalies are different and he is entering his prime he played well before Kane rocked him last yr

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

We basically could have gone two ways - an older washed up guy (Mason, Roloson, Ellis) who used to be a #1 goalie somewhere or a young guy who is less proven but also has more potential. Montoya had pretty good numbers pre-collision.
Thats my feeling. I would rather avoid older goalies and instead acquire a higher risk asset who if he is electric could garner a good trade. You never know if he can strike lightning.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Scheifele55

Montoya as backup gives jets youth in the crease

Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets decided to go younger when it came to a backup goaltender. After last year's backup Chris Mason bolted for Nashville, 27-year-old Al Montoya has agreed to a one-year, $601,000 contract with the Jets - exactly what he made last year with the New York Islanders. The average age of remaining free agent goaltenders is nearly 33 years.
Read more - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399940

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 07-04-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Can't post full articles, and always link to it!
Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

I agree with that and he very may well have been the best of the UFA goalies. Perhaps he can feed off the energy of the crowd. Of his 56 total games games played all of his home games have been in front of probably sparse crowds on Long Island and Phoenix. Possibly 2 of the currently worse markets in the NHL

I am starting to come around to the signing now and it only took a couple hours.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I agree with that and he very may well have been the best of the UFA goalies. Perhaps he can feed off the energy of the crowd. Of his 56 total games games played all of his home games have been in front of probably sparse crowds on Long Island and Phoenix. Possibly 2 of the currently worse markets in the NHL

I am starting to come around to the signing now and it only took a couple hours.
He almost has the same numbers as James Reimer... lol that sway u a bit more?

Ragging on my leaf buddy just comparing their stats and he is getting mad

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Jim Toth ‏@JimTothCJOB
#NHLJets Montoya "fan support big reason I wanted to be a Jet"

<3
Haha. Yeah, that, and the fact no other team offered a one way contract.

I'm speculating of course, but $601,000 is a hair above league minimum so I doubt he had a plethora of offers.

Also, you can thank Scott Brown and the TNSE communications team for comments like these. A little P.R. briefing before these conference calls really helps these new guys make a great first impression .

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:50 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
He's a young guy with some skills, and the Jets have a good goalie coach who might be able to make him into a better player, so we will see.....

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

A good signing once again. He is starting to reach his best years so this is absolute great thing that we see what he got. I like our off-season so far.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:54 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Other than all the other first rounders we have, look at all the 2004 first rounders,

Ladd, Wheeler and Montoya, who went 4, 5 and 6, what next Barker?

He wouldn't be a bad move as a number 7 D, but I'd prefer to have Kulda.

But I love this move.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

this guy can drive a nascar and all of a sudden he thinks he's a goalie?

would have preferred to sign mason, but it appears that was out of chevy's control....the jury is out on this guy....hopefully he rises to the challenge.

luckily back up goalies aren't impossible to replace if he turns out to be a dud.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:20 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Other than all the other first rounders we have, look at all the 2004 first rounders,

Ladd, Wheeler and Montoya, who went 4, 5 and 6, what next Barker?

He wouldn't be a bad move as a number 7 D, but I'd prefer to have Kulda.

But I love this move.
Hopefully we can land the 20th pick from that first round next offseason.

Bring Zajac home!

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Le Golie

I hardly ever listen to TSN 1290 but I'm listening this morning and these guys are so clueless. So far they have talked about Montoya being Italian when he's of Cuban descent. They talked about him being a veteran mentor to Pavs, even though Pavs has way more NHL wins than Montoya has games played. And they took a shot at the Isles 'losing' Montoya even though they let him go because they have three better goalies and DiPietro.

Anyway, I hope Montoya can become a passable backup goalie but I'm not comfortable expecting to see him 20 times this year. He's definitely a downgrade from Mason.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I like this signing. Montoya was playing very well before Evander broke his head.

If he regains his 2010-11 form, he is a clear upgrade over Mason.

Some people are betting that Al will put up better numbers than Pavelec this year. Time will tell.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Am i the only person that thinks Wellwood will not come close to his 'career year' last year, so signing him likely means we tie up a Top 6 spot with a less productive player. Wellwood in our Top 6 just gives me an uneasy feeling that we won't be a playoff team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
No sir. You are not
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Nope. I've placed this about 8 times in the last 3 months.
Too high of shooting percentage compared to his career avg and too many secondary assists. Means he could repeat but it is a fluke.
Yup, the same could have been said about Martin St. Louis just prior to him going on to post a solid decade of top notch hockey for TBay.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:43 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Yup, the same could have been said about Martin St. Louis just prior to him going on to post a solid decade of top notch hockey for TBay.
Regardless of resigning Welly, I want Burmi on the 2nd line wing.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I like this signing. Montoya was playing very well before Evander broke his head.

If he regains his 2010-11 form, he is a clear upgrade over Mason.

Some people are betting that Al will put up better numbers than Pavelec this year. Time will tell.
If Montoya was going to be an upgrade over Mason he wouldn't have signed for a hair over league minimum. We offered Mason more than twice that salary. It is very likely Montoya didn't even get any other one way contract offers and we all know for a fact that Mason had multiple offers for more than $1m.

Let's not get carried away with these illusions of Montoya pushing Pavelec. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Montoya spends some time with the Ice Caps this year and he won't have a problem clearing waivers unless a team is really hit with injuries.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
If Montoya was going to be an upgrade over Mason he wouldn't have signed for a hair over league minimum. We offered Mason more than twice that salary. It is very likely Montoya didn't even get any other one way contract offers and we all know for a fact that Mason had multiple offers for more than $1m.

Let's not get carried away with these illusions of Montoya pushing Pavelec. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Montoya spends some time with the Ice Caps this year and he won't have a problem clearing waivers unless a team is really hit with injuries.
I don't mind the signing especially given the other options. I really think Mason leaving caught us off guard (if I was guessing). I think TNSE are trying to make lemonade out of lemons and we shall see how the experiment works out. It sounds like Wade Flaherty put in allot of work in once Mason left to break down all of our back up options. My guess is we got his number one choice given the extremely shallow pool of talent out there. The fact we signed him to 1 year at the league minimum tells you all you need to know. My hopes are he comes in and works hard with our goaltending coach and he doesn't hurt us this year. As you know better than I goaltenders tend to come around slower so maybe he keeps improving this season and provides a pleasant surprise. What I do love is that with their backs to the wall Chevy and Co probably did the best they could do in a pinch........you really can't beat the contract (give our take $1000 ) and if he crashes and burns we may need to make a move in season but for now we have a credible option on the cheap.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I don't mind the signing especially given the other options. I really think Mason leaving caught us off guard (if I was guessing). I think TNSE are trying to make lemonade out of lemons and we shall see how the experiment works out. It sounds like Wade Flaherty put in allot of work in once Mason left to break down all of our back up options. My guess is we got his number one choice given the extremely shallow pool of talent out there. The fact we signed him to 1 year at the league minimum tells you all you need to know. My hopes are he comes in and works hard with our goaltending coach and he doesn't hurt us this year. As you know better than I goaltenders tend to come around slower so maybe he keeps improving this season and provides a pleasant surprise. What I do love is that with their backs to the wall Chevy and Co probably did the best they could do in a pinch........you really can't beat the contract (give our take $1000 ) and if he crashes and burns we may need to make a move in season but for now we have a credible option on the cheap.
Agree on all counts, it was the best option left through free agency. I still hope a good, reliable veteran gets waived at training camp.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

Though i can understand not getting optimistic, the guy really hasn't played many NHL games.

He's had two handfuls of starts. A handful at the end of the 10-11 season, in which he played great. And a handful last year, in which he played very bad.

Too small a sample size to really say what he is. That being said, the fact that he's this old and has still only played that many games in the league could be cause for a concern.

Now THAT being said, and not to do anything ridiculous like comparing Tim Thomas to Al Montoya, but how many games had TT played in the nhl before he was 30?

Personally, my opinion is we have no idea what we have in Montoya. He could be great, he could be garbage.

And for the "X salary doesn't get you etc" I suggest you look at what Anti Neimis salary and stats were previous to winning a cup with the black-hawks.

At worst, Montoya's a decent plan B and I do agree with you that we could very well end up grabbing a "better" (as in "better on paper") goalie through waiver wire at the start of the season, But i do think he's more of an unknown thing, then a bad thing.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Mason was awful for each of the last two seasons. The fact that he was offered more money doesn't make him a better player.

Montoya had a .921 save percentage in 2010-11 and was rolling with a .917 save percentage last year before Evander Kane gave him brain damage. ...unless you think Montoya was propped up by an elite NYI defense, you can't really make a case that he is worse than Chris Mason.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Mason was awful for each of the last two seasons. The fact that he was offered more money doesn't make him a better player.

Montoya had a .921 save percentage in 2010-11 and was rolling with a .917 save percentage last year before Evander Kane gave him brain damage. ...unless you think Montoya was propped up by an elite NYI defense, you can't really make a case that he is worse than Chris Mason.
I think Mason vs. Montoya is a coin flip at worst. Montoya has shown flashes and has some upside. Mason was a veteran leader with lots of experience. I agree that with regard to on-ice performance, Montoya can't be worse than Mason - Mason stunk it up playing against the Jets' weakest opponents.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Though i can understand not getting optimistic, the guy really hasn't played many NHL games.

He's had two handfuls of starts. A handful at the end of the 10-11 season, in which he played great. And a handful last year, in which he played very bad.

Too small a sample size to really say what he is. That being said, the fact that he's this old and has still only played that many games in the league could be cause for a concern.

Now THAT being said, and not to do anything ridiculous like comparing Tim Thomas to Al Montoya, but how many games had TT played in the nhl before he was 30?

Personally, my opinion is we have no idea what we have in Montoya. He could be great, he could be garbage.

And for the "X salary doesn't get you etc" I suggest you look at what Anti Neimis salary and stats were previous to winning a cup with the black-hawks.

At worst, Montoya's a decent plan B and I do agree with you that we could very well end up grabbing a "better" (as in "better on paper") goalie through waiver wire at the start of the season, But i do think he's more of an unknown thing, then a bad thing.
I agree that Montoya hasn't given us a huge sample, he did look really good before the injury. Mason on the other hand looked awful despite having one of the most sheltered schedules in the league. He is done IMO. I went into the offseason think just about anything would be an upgrade.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
WinnipegWinter

I like this signing. A lot of people are saying that Montaya hasn't lived up to his potential, but after last year I feel that Winnipeg is the type of market that will bring out the best in players.

We rejuvenated the careers of Antropov and Wellwood and saw breakthrough years for Wheeler and Kane.

This may not be a 'top-of-mind' destination for professional hockey players, but once they put the jersey on they remember why they started playing the game in the first place - the love of the game. This is definitely derived from the fans and the city.

I predict Montaya will put up career numbers and help us make our playoff push. I am also going to take 1/700,000th of the credit

WinnipegWinter is offline   Reply With Quote