HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Exposed Tonite!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 03:31 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Paratestes
I think the Oilers were exposed for what they really are tonite .A non playoff sub 500 squad that isnt even close to playing with the big boys .We the fans and the media can blow smoke up the Oilers butts but lets face facts ..we aint makin the dance this year .The Flames are better than us ..we are like Comrie ..hit our peak and arent improving ..were on a plain to mediocrity .This is as good as we will ever get .Time to face facts .
Actually you can post whatever you want but I wonder if the Oilers win a game 7-1 if you will be posting that this is the true Oilers and now they are going to finish 20 games over 500?

One game whether it be 7-1 win or a 7-1 loss does not a season make.

Old
11-27-2003, 03:35 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Paratestes
"Yes i am an Oiler fan ..became one in the early 80s when they were winning Cups .Thats why i find it so laughable that making the playoffs is the bench mark the Oilers seek .
Why would Vancouver and other teams emulate what the Oilers are doing ?What have the Oilers accomplished since the last Cup win?
Listen i know they will never be the Rangers , wings and Lanche when it comes to throwing around $$$$ but come on ..there must be more in the bank than what we are getting now .Does anyone in this forum really belive that Smyth , Smith , Brewer ,Hemsky , York will end their careers as Oilers ??????
Are we that much poorer than the Canucks ??Yet they sign their key players .I dfont know , maybe i am over reacting to a bad lickin ..but i am sick and tired of just being content with chasing the 8 th playoff spot . Maybe it is time to hand in the Smitty jersey and jump on the Canucks bandwagon as some friendly Oiler fan suggested ..it wouldnt be hard .While Canuck fans look forward to anothe Cup run ..i am looking forward to my team qualifying and maybe ..maybe win a game or two in the first round .From stanley Cups to qualifying ..woopee !!!!!!Go Oilers Go!!!!!

I am not saying that I or we should stop cheering for our beloved Oilers but i am saying that its time we DEMAND more from ownership and management .I think there is money being made and there is money to increase the budget to help get us to the next level .Thats all i look for is an honest effort to compete .

I never said Vancouver should emulate what the Oilers are doing, just we shouldn't emulate Calgary and Montreal, and IF ANYTHING they should emualte us because we've had more success than those two teams.

Vanouver simply has a much bigger market. Vancouver is probably more than twice the size of Edmonton. Of course we can't pay our players as much as they do.

If you think the Oilers are making alot of money check out the recent issue of forbes magazine. They are an objective source, I might add.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:28 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

HP tried to make a very relevant point, that there's no way losing in the first round and not progressing should be tolerated by fans, and yes, we should demand a winner.

BUT

This team is alot better than he gave credit for (if they finish worse than 6th I think that's a disappointment, and they should have a shot at 4th/5th by playing fairly well), and he did not exactly make his point very elequently.

There's a tad of relevance there, but also alot of over-the-top and fairly inaccurate things.

Just thought I'd make that point.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I never said Vancouver should emulate what the Oilers are doing, just we shouldn't emulate Calgary and Montreal, and IF ANYTHING they should emualte us because we've had more success than those two teams.

Vanouver simply has a much bigger market. Vancouver is probably more than twice the size of Edmonton. Of course we can't pay our players as much as they do.

If you think the Oilers are making alot of money check out the recent issue of forbes magazine. They are an objective source, I might add.

Forbes did not say who was making money. The objective was to see what the worth was based on the size of the market, and how much it could sell for. It had NOTHING to with which teams were making money and which teams werent.

So unless a team is planning to sell, really Forbes is worthless.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:11 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I will guarantee you this team will make the playoffs, finish at least 10 points ahead of Calgary....
2 points back with 2 games in hand

Maybe I should just start a thread on this, call it the 'Walsher Watch' or something.

Old
11-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
2 points back with 2 games in hand

Maybe I should just start a thread on this, call it the 'Walsher Watch' or something.
Call it what ever you want. The Flames led the division well into the season two years ago and where did they end up? Thats right, exactly where they will this season. I am more concerned with the two back than with the 2 in hand - they will lose those and remain two back. anyway keep your pipe dreams.

Old
11-28-2003, 11:39 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Call it what ever you want. The Flames led the division well into the season two years ago and where did they end up? Thats right, exactly where they will this season. I am more concerned with the two back than with the 2 in hand - they will lose those and remain two back. anyway keep your pipe dreams.
Alright, I'll keep my 'pipe dreams', (2 back with 3 in hand now BTW).

Old
11-29-2003, 07:02 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

go back to the calgary posts, flamer. dont need your sort here.

Old
11-29-2003, 12:49 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
I'll stay 'round thanks, I happen to wish Edmonton well, and like to keep up with them, unlike some Oiler fans here that can't handle to see the Flames do any good.

Old
11-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Alright, I'll keep my 'pipe dreams', (2 back with 3 in hand now BTW).
Thanks for the update tips - like I said before I am not worried about now I am worried about April.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:43 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Thanks for the update tips - like I said before I am not worried about now I am worried about April.
And so are the Flames brother, no worries.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Walsher

Quote:
And so are the Flames brother, no worries.
There have been worries for every April in the last June, and there is nothing going to changes that.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:18 PM
kruezer

Quote:
There have been worries for every April in the last June, and there is nothing going to changes that.
Point Being? Oh well, I'm outta this thread, no need to get into a Flame-Oiler bashing session. I'd rather they both made the PO, peace.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

He'll be gone like most calgary fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
When the Oilers go on a winning streak. Where was he when the Oilers won four in a row?

Best to ignore him, he will be gone soon enough.

As fast as Iginla has basically disappeared after getting his 7.5 million.

4 goals and 11 assists for 7.5 million. BLECH!

Old
11-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Not that I don't think Iginla is doing bad, but,

I don't think Oiler fans can be commenting on expensive players playing poorly when Tommy Salo is currently one of the worst goaltenders in the league making $3.9 million or whatever it is now, not to mention Brad Isbister at $1.9, Georges Laraque at .. is it $1.6, and the team's highest paid defenseman being outplayed by Steve Staios.

You both seem to have/had GM's that mismanage money.

Still, Iginla can go on a tear one of these weeks and move back up into respectability. He's still leading his team in points, is he not?

Old
11-30-2003, 08:13 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
When the Oilers go on a winning streak. Where was he when the Oilers won four in a row?

Best to ignore him, he will be gone soon enough.

*Comes back* Shouldn't even read this, but I always hang 'round the Oiler boards, when do I dis them? I'm just pointing out you shouldn't dis the Flames. Thats all. Goodnight.

Closed Thread