HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 08:29 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
That would be epic.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Chris 84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
rumor that the Red Wings might turn to Colaiacovo now.

oh man, PLEASE let this happen.
came into this thread to ask about him actually.

i haven't seen so much of the blues lately and was wondering what you guys think of him - pluses, minuses, etc. is he really as bad as all that?

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
came into this thread to ask about him actually.

i haven't seen so much of the blues lately and was wondering what you guys think of him - pluses, minuses, etc. is he really as bad as all that?
He is a 2nd pairing at best. He isn't as terrible as some of us make him out to be, but I'd be happy if one of our rivals signed him lol.

His pluses would be he is decent on the powerplay and can make passes.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He is a 2nd pairing at best. He isn't as terrible as some of us make him out to be, but I'd be happy if one of our rivals signed him lol.

He had that awesome primary assist on that short handed goal.

Just because it was kopitars goal doesnt mean it wasnt impressive

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post

LOL, yeah he was god awful in the playoffs. I tried defending him during the regular season, but in the playoffs, he was a hopeless trainwreck.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post

thanks. our defence looks pretty crappy right now unless smith shows himself to be a good top4 d-man in his rookie year. white was only acceptable when he played with lidstrom and ericsson, quincey and kindl have a lot to prove.

at the right price, colaiacovo might be of some use to us.

Quote:

lol

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
thanks. our defence looks pretty crappy right now unless smith shows himself to be a good top4 d-man in his rookie year. white was only acceptable when he played with lidstrom and ericsson, quincey and kindl have a lot to prove.

at the right price, colaiacovo might be of some use to us.

lol
That basically describes Colaiacovo with Pietrangelo.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:18 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Honestly, I liked cola in the....first or second sj playoff game. But after someone reminded him his name is colaiacovo he seemed to play appropriately.

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
sdaltons

Quote:

oh man

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
According to Strick, we went hard after Carle. I guess management has a much higher opinion of him than us fans do.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:20 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
According to Strick, we went hard after Carle. I guess management has a much higher opinion of him than us fans do.
Move on and look for a trade partner is what Armstrong faces now, it takes two to tango so they say. The Blues still need to sign Oshie and Perron this summer, then the CBA to deal with , and Shattenkirk and Alex P entry level deals are up at this time next year.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Really not impressed that they targeted Carle. Carle is a #4 dman who got more minutes in Philly out of necessity, they had massive injuries on their blueline. They were also a team that could pile up the goals and boost Carle's second assists numbers. But he is not physical and he's not good in his own zone. I can't understand why they would watch the LA series and conclude Carle is what they'd need. He's the opposite of what they'd need. And the idea that they were in it to the end suggests they were willing to make this guy the highest paid Blue for a bunch of years. Carle is Colaiacovo only if Colaiacovo were healthier and were a better passer in the offensive zone. Maybe a bit better skater through the neutral zone with the puck. Otherwise they're the same guy, and we already know that doesn't work.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:26 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

He certainly possesses some valuable skills, but the mental side of the game is not there at all. He panics a lot and usually turns it over. He's also made of glass. So if you're hoping for more than 70 games out of him, you'll probably be disappointed. He doesn't have a history of serious injuries really, just every little hit will sideline him for at least a game or two. Please urge Holland to give him a career contract

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

heck, give Poile a call, since Suter left, lets go after Weber. I can dream anyway

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
heck, give Poile a call, since Suter left, lets go after Weber. I can dream anyway
It would take a king's ransom to pry Weber away from Nashville, especially as a division rival.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
I`m pretty sure we went out of this bidding-war at latest when the bids passed our captains`salary and went up to AMacs`, our highest paid player...and I`m also pretty sure that there were quite a few teams in on him between Backes` 4.5m and the 5.5 he finally got

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:11 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
It would take a king's ransom to pry Weber away from Nashville, especially as a division rival.
yup, the word "expensive" would get a very new meaning.
we fortunately aren`t in a panic-mode where we have to make such sell-the-farm trades

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Looks like Oshie heading to arbitration. But those stressing about an offer sheet can rest easy, as it can't happen after arbitration elected. My money is on a deal getting done long before arbitration actually happens.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I think a deal will eventually be completed as well though I am a bit surprised it's taken this long after hearing Armstrong glow about Oshie after the season.

In JR's Oshie/Perron blog entry a while back, Army says he typically doesn't believe in deals (Petro could be the lone exception next offseason) longer than four years.

Seems like a reasonable contract for an improving, maturing, all-situations player like TJ would be 4 years for $16-17 million.

Oshie gets some leverage with the team buying out 2 UFA years while he would get more than a comparable player like Steen but less than the heart and soul Backes.

Oshie gets paid for dedicating himself, Blues lock up a core player for a reasonable amount of time while not handing him a 6-7 year term like some others teams would. Little give and take for both sides.

I personally thought this would get done well before Perron's deal whose situation is slightly more complex because of the injury.

Perhaps the hold up is that Oshie is a very unique type of player which makes it hard to find comparables.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Alklha

Oshie is likely wanting at least $4.5m, and it is difficult to argue against that.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

4.5 is reasonable. He will not, and should not, make more than Backes. Backes is the captain, and a damn good one at that. He should be the highest paid forward. I think Petro will get a longer deal, and for more money than either Backes or Oshie, simply because he's a special player. I don't even want to know what people would be offering for a UFA Pietrangelo, and I hope I never have to find out. There's certain players like Backes, Pietrangelo, and maybe Tarasenko if he turns out to be a special talent that you need to hold onto long term. Backes and Petro are virtually irreplaceable.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

This is the approximate deal I expect them to agree to prior to arbitration:

12-13: 3.5
13-14: 4.0
14-15: 4.0
15-16: 4.5

4yrs, 16M. Ends with him making 4.5M annually and heading into UFA.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
4.5 is reasonable. He will not, and should not, make more than Backes. Backes is the captain, and a damn good one at that. He should be the highest paid forward. I think Petro will get a longer deal, and for more money than either Backes or Oshie, simply because he's a special player. I don't even want to know what people would be offering for a UFA Pietrangelo, and I hope I never have to find out. There's certain players like Backes, Pietrangelo, and maybe Tarasenko if he turns out to be a special talent that you need to hold onto long term. Backes and Petro are virtually irreplaceable.
I'll agree that he shouldn't get more than Backes, but I doubt he is going to be happy with anything less than $4.5m per year.

When Backes signed his extension he was 26 and had a career line of 73-89-162 in 296 games. Oshie is 25 and has a career line of 63-112-175 in 262 games. Also factor in the fact the cap has risen by as much as $10.8m between the time that Backes has signed and now, meaning the price of players has. I find it impossible to think he won't want the same, and I'd agree with him...

Perron has signed a 4 year deal!!!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
SirPaste

Perron signed a 4 year deal, cap hit of 3.8!!!!!!!

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Can someone describe Yandle's game for me (i.e. compare his playing style to another player either all-time or contemporary) and why exactly he's "what we need" (quoting another poster)?

Besides the fact that he's a top paring LD, of course.

Just trying to get a feel for his playing style.
Great puck mover and offensive defenseman. Can skate with the puck, make strong passes, and join the rush. Good shot. Strong skater, not huge but can certainly match up physically. Not the strongest in the defensive zone, but certainly not the weakest either. Offense is his best defense in his case. Would fit in well in our system, but would fit great in any system. His offensive game is comparable to Shattenkirk, but Yandle is better in the defensive zone.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote