Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Feaster is kind of a genius in a way...

Old
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM
BVicious

vCash: 500
Feaster is kind of a genius in a way...

Backlund - Feaster called him out and said he needs to be better. He publicly called him out an is now playing hard to get with that contract. Now, I know Backlund loves it in Calgary, his GF is from here and he wants to stay. This is Feaster way of getting that 'contract' year out of him. Which is why he will offer a 1 yr deal to get the most out of him.

Wideman - cheaper than Carle, tad more than Garrison. Great deal and could he already produces more than our own Dmen.

Hudler - decent signing. Term is a bit long but from what I hear, he is an amazing teammate. Feaster is staying true to changing the culture. Helm's GF is from Winnipeg and my buddy spent some time with him this week. He asked about losing Lindstrom and Hudler, and he said Hudler is a way bigger loss than a lot of Media or Fans understand. That's a positive sign.

Cervanka - cant comment but low-risk high reward.

Feaster is doing great things. Hired the right coach for this group. Hired Gelinas which is awesome. Brought the right guys so far for the culture change, an he isn't afraid to make hockey trades.

I like this guy. He is doing exactly what I had hoped.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
berto14

Cue the Feaster haters in 3... 2... 1...

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Backlund - Feaster called him out and said he needs to be better. He publicly called him out an is now playing hard to get with that contract. Now, I know Backlund loves it in Calgary, his GF is from here and he wants to stay. This is Feaster way of getting that 'contract' year out of him. Which is why he will offer a 1 yr deal to get the most out of him.

Wideman - cheaper than Carle, tad more than Garrison. Great deal and could he already produces more than our own Dmen.

Hudler - decent signing. Term is a bit long but from what I hear, he is an amazing teammate. Feaster is staying true to changing the culture. Helm's GF is from Winnipeg and my buddy spent some time with him this week. He asked about losing Lindstrom and Hudler, and he said Hudler is a way bigger loss than a lot of Media or Fans understand. That's a positive sign.

Feaster is doing great things. Hired the right coach for this group. Hired Gelinas which is awesome. Brought the right guys so far for the culture change, an he isn't afraid to make hockey trades.

What is your opinion on his drafting record? That and developing young players has been a huge issue with the Flames for so so long - it is a big reason for the way the team currently is (lacking young talent)

During Feaster's short term so far, I think things look amazingly better!! Weisbrod I think is the perfect Assistant GM to compliment Feaster, the scouting and development staff has increased and improved and this has already resulted in a better prospect pool with top picks like Sven looking good but also later picks like Reinhart developing into NHL players hopefully. Neither of these aspects of the Flames franchise were evident in the past so I am hoping we have finally turned a corner and can produce some home grown talent on the Flames now and in the future. Even the JANKOWSKI pick is starting to grow on me - the Flames just need to keep ensuring he develops!

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
1 think, you said Wideman was a tad more than Garrison.

He makes .5 Million more. Thats more than a tad IMO.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Xelstyle

Decent moves sure, but not necessarily ground breaking.
He's been doing a lot given what he started with and the team is just dramatically different than what it was 2 years ago I think, but still needs a lot of work if we're to be serious about more than just 8th place.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
1 think, you said Wideman was a tad more than Garrison.

He makes .5 Million more. Thats more than a tad IMO.
Still not much more especially when comparing it to the salary cap (less than 1%)

And although I think Garrison had a better year last year as compared to Wideman, over their career's I would take Wideman over Garrison. I really think Garrison stepped his game up in his contract year plus he got more ice time and a better D partner. It should be interesting to see what happens in Vancouver with less minutes and after getting a big pay day. Wideman can play all of Calgary's PP minutes and hopefully help our back end get some points! The Flames struggled big time there last year.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
What is your opinion on his drafting record? That and developing young players has been a huge issue with the Flames for so so long - it is a big reason for the way the team currently is (lacking young talent)
We won't know this for at least 3-5 years; and if Feaster doesn't right the ship (or so to speak) he may not be around to reap the rewards. Obviously Baertschi is looking like a great pick, and there's huge optimism with Gaudreau. Other than that, it's tough to say considering guys like Jankowski who 85% of us had never heard of before the draft, yet you have to appreciate the balls it took to go off the charts to get the guy the scouts wanted *and* pick up a 2nd round pick to boot.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
We won't know this for at least 3-5 years; and if Feaster doesn't right the ship (or so to speak) he may not be around to reap the rewards. Obviously Baertschi is looking like a great pick, and there's huge optimism with Gaudreau. Other than that, it's tough to say considering guys like Jankowski who 85% of us had never heard of before the draft, yet you have to appreciate the balls it took to go off the charts to get the guy the scouts wanted *and* pick up a 2nd round pick to boot.
True and that was a ballsy pick indeed

I have been following the Flames for a long time though and this is the first time in awhile that I am actually excited for some of our prospects and actually starting to follow their young careers. I never did that before because none of our prospects really had good enough young careers to follow...

Old
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
BVicious

I didn't mention the Drafting because I feel is assistant does more than he does in terms of picks. Feaster said so himself. Feaster was more involved in the interviews and identifying what we need.

I just like his approach to business. He understand not every move will be loved by the fans but I believe he he has surrounded himself with great people. Conroy grounds him and probably helps him stay in tune from a player perspective.

I just think the little things he's done are great. GlenX and Tangs contract was amazing IMO... Ate Cammy deal was a steal, and we got Byron and Butler for a 7 million cap dump, cuz he did get that pick back.

I can care less what the haters think, cuz he is exactly the guy we need. Our poor neighbors to the North. They have the worst GM in the league. Hands down.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Way too early to be anointing Feaster as anything. So far he hasn't done anything great and hasn't done anything horrifically bad. If I have a problem with him it's probably he shows no clear sign of a plan.

Just want the OP to explain some of his points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
This is a sign of sheer brilliance? Knowing a player was injured the majority of last season and is entering his second contract with no leverage, and making him sweat to lowball him? What other General Manager wouldn't make a similar move?

Quote:
Wideman's contract actually set the market, so Feaster didn't get Wideman cheaper than Carle or a tad more than Garrison. The Carle and Garrison signings were a result of the Wideman signing. Feaster made the signing by projecting what the market was going to look like. Was he right, or did he set the market higher than it needed to be? We don't know for sure, but the hockey world sure didn't think much of the signing.

You also can't say that Wideman will out produce any of our current defensemen. He may, or he may experience the same drop in production that other players experience when they come to Calgary. Maybe Hartley opens things up a bit and both Giordano and Bouwmeester experience an increase in scoring, surpassing Wideman? We won't know until the puck is dropped. Feaster is hoping that Wideman will contribute to more goals for than goals against, and that is a gamble. We'll know for sure how wise the decision was over the next couple of seasons, or how quickly Wideman replaces Bouwmeester as the fans' new whipping boy.

Quote:
It is an okay signing. Good term and hopefully a good value. Didn't address the biggest need on the team; a center who can win a face-off. Unless a trade takes place, we're now forcing Cammalleri out of position and hoping it works. Seems like an extension of the same stuff this club has done for the past 20 years.

Quote:
A good gamble. Has potential to be good, but has potential to be bad. Lots of late bloomers have come over and been busts. Feaster gets marks for trying. Is kind of strange he would think it wise to bring in an unproven player, guaranteeing him top six minutes, and moving a winger out of position, rather than keeping our top center until we have something proven to back fill him.

Quote:
How do you know this is the right coach for this group? What akes Gelinas such a good hiring? Because he was part of the 2003-04 team that made it to the finals? Who are the right guys he brought in to change the culture? I see a coach that Feaster has a long relationship with and was a guy mentioned as a possibility when Feaster was highered as the interim. Hartley brought his own guys with him, so that wasn't really Feaster. Based on history, how is this different than what Sutter did as GM?

Quote:
Really? These are the things you had hoped? I can honestly say that not a single one of these moves were anything I had in mind. They are interesting, but fraught with massive bust potential. I'm willing to give some of these things some time, but I don't see a real plan or any major indications of genius.

Quote:
I just think the little things he's done are great. GlenX and Tangs contract was amazing IMO... Ate Cammy deal was a steal, and we got Byron and Butler for a 7 million cap dump, cuz he did get that pick back.
Glencross deal was great. Tanguay deal was okay with some potential problems down the road as the term was too long. The Cammalleri deal was mediocre at best as Cammy will have to really perform for the deal to prove a winner. The Regehr deal was also not a great one. Cap space is only worth something if you use it to address major needs in your lineup. Those major needs are still outstanding.

Quote:
I didn't mention the Drafting because I feel is assistant does more than he does in terms of picks. Feaster said so himself. Feaster was more involved in the interviews and identifying what we need.
The guy you should be giving credit for the draft and such is Wiesbrod. He's the guy calling the shots in that regard. It was he who made the call on not trading away the first round draft pick from this draft for a player at the deadline. Feaster was ready to pull the trigger. It was Wiesbrod who went out on the limb and made the call on Jankowski. Feaster had nothing to do with it but trust his guy's judgement.

This is what I like about Feaster. He has surrounded himself with good hockey people. He acknowledges he is not the smartest guy in the room and brings in people who know their stuff. If Feaster is displaying any sort of genius it is by acknowledging his individual weakness and fortifying it with the brilliance of others. That is a breath of fresh air for a hockey club that has been under the control of a string of managers who did things based on their knowledge over that of others. Cheers to Feaster for surrounding himself with some pretty good hockey guys that have shown the wherewithal to make some ballsy decisions.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

The second you called Wideman's contract a "great deal" was the second I glossed over the rest.

Enjoy the koolaid, it's hot outside.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
The second you called Wideman's contract a "great deal" was the second I glossed over the rest.

I will thx. I think he is doing a great job.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:

The Wideman deal is a great deal.

If Wideman scores 20 goals and wins the Norris.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:

Agreed. Personally not a fan of Wideman or that contract.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
To early to call him a success or a failure. If he is a success it will depend on his drafting and we need 5 years or so to see how that goes.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Kitsy

Calgary is spinning its tires and reminds me of the JFJ years in Toronto. I'm not sure if it's Feaster or upper management from him but the team has 0 chance of winning the cup and needs to trade Iggy and Kipper before the value becomes nil. Signing Wideman and Hudler for the length of time they did makes sense to me if they need a top six winger and offensive defenseman to get over the hump and become a contender. I know of no one who thinks this team is built to play long into spring. If Iggy, Kipper or Gio gets hurts there is scarce depth to fill those holes. It'll be a testament to Feaster's legacy if the Flames are stuck in 10th or 11th by trade deadline next season and Iggy or Kipper don't move for some quality assets. I would like to look forward to a time when the Flames legitimately look to be building for a cup or contending for a cup. Imo, Feaster isn't "kind of a genius" by signing an offensive guy with huge defensive issues and a flaky yet dynamic top six winger. He's a GM of a very average NHL team.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
Calgary is spinning its tires and reminds me of the JFJ years in Toronto. I'm not sure if it's Feaster or upper management from him but the team has 0 chance of winning the cup and needs to trade Iggy and Kipper before the value becomes nil. Signing Wideman and Hudler for the length of time they did makes sense to me if they need a top six winger and offensive defenseman to get over the hump and become a contender. I know of no one who thinks this team is built to play long into spring. If Iggy, Kipper or Gio gets hurts there is scarce depth to fill those holes. It'll be a testament to Feaster's legacy if the Flames are stuck in 10th or 11th by trade deadline next season and Iggy or Kipper don't move for some quality assets. I would like to look forward to a time when the Flames legitimately look to be building for a cup or contending for a cup. Imo, Feaster isn't "kind of a genius" by signing an offensive guy with huge defensive issues and a flaky yet dynamic top six winger. He's a GM of a very average NHL team.
I agree with this. I'm willing to see how the signings work out, Feaster really has changed the team. But at this time I don't necessarily think things are going to get any better because of those changes.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Good article by Steinberg, everything really makes more sense

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...able_approach/

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post

I like. Really good explanation of the resigning of so many veterans to 2 year contracts. Looking at it this way, I can really see where Feaster is going with this.

Problem is, it still could result in a 9th-11th finish for the next year or so. Then what?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
If the Flames are out of the playoffs this year, I could no longer be reluctant to rebuild. I always hated Brent Sutter and I'm a firm believer that he was the fundamental reason for our years of inadequacies. The Flames were considered a consistent playoff team trying to get past the first round, and during those years we were using weaker teams.

Our starting 2008-09 Roster for the year of making the playoffs was:

Cammy - Langkow - Iginla
Borque - Conroy - Burtuzzi
Glencross - Lombardi - Moss
Nystrom - Primeau - Boyd

Reghre - Phaneuf
Giordano - Sarich
Vandermeer - Pardy

Mind you, we were very beaten up when we reached the playoffs and lost to a very good Blackhawks team. We had a combination of youth and vets, and that year we saw a lot of goals, especially in unexpected areas (Glencross, Bourque, Moss, Burtuzzi, Langkow) Since then, we have been missing the playoffs. We now have the following roster this year (assuming):

Tangauy - Cammy - Iginla
Glen - Cervenka - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak
Aliu - Stajan - Comeau

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Butler
Brodie - Sarich

The 08 roster is comparable to the current roster. Lots of youth, proven vets, and good goaltending. No that we have got rid of the one coach that kept us from the playoffs since the lock-out, I believe our team can perform better than your expectations. And to say that we don't have depth, we have 8 players that scored 20 goals in their careers, and have potential goal scorers in Cervenka, Backlund, Baertschi, and Aliu. However, guys like Stajan, Tanguay, Stempniak and Comeau are likely to drop from their career highs, but keep in mind that Stajan, Stempniak and Comeau are still only 28, 29 and 26 years old.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post

An interesting piece no doubt.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Does anyone else find this post funny? So a signing Wideman and Hudler could make a good team into a contender but isn't able to make a decent team into a good team? Now I know your next question is "is that all you want to be is a good team" I believe every team should ice the best possible lineup. Now you will say we will be stuck in this spot for years, who knows maybe Getzlaf wants to come back home and Edmonton won't overpay for a UFA since they need to re-sign their young guns, and the Canucks wouldn't have a spot for him so much like Minnesota did with Parise we could offer the most $ and have a real shot at him.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:02 PM
number72

Feaster strategy is win now by qualifying for the playoffs without sacrificing the future.
Two questions I'm considering are
1. After Feaster's changes has the team improved more/less relative to other conference teams so far? And were the changes enough to realistically qualify for playoffs.

My take is some playoff teams are worse (PHX, NSH, DET) and some non playoff teams are better (CGY, DAL, COL, MIN) and so it will be a struggle to make the playoffs.

2. And if this strategy of win now without sacrificing the future fail this year, does that change anything? That is, should the team continue this win now (sign UFA, trades and build through the draft) or a different strategy (tear it down) or even win now at all costs.

My take, it doesn't matter. Keep trying to rebuild now without sacrificing the future.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Some Other Flame

I think it's instrumental for people to understand that when the Flames say they want to compete, they mean they want to compete for the playoffs, not the cup. It's a very important distinction that people seem to miss; just because their not rebuilding in the typical way doesn't mean they're gearing towards a cup run. There's no way that Feaster, if he has even a shred of intellectual honesty within himself, can actually believe that this roster is a cup contender.

The goal is, as stated, is to compete for the playoffs while rebuilding the rest of team. Essentially, getting younger, restocking the farm, but also acquiring players from 23-28 so the team doesn't end up in the cellar for half a decade.

The problems with this scenario are many. For one, the chances of success are considerably smaller than a traditional tear-it-down rebuild. Getting blue chip prospects and impact NHLer's without lottery picks is no easy feat. Especially odd about this, is the team picking Jankowski this year. He's a long term project for a team that needs immediate results. He may very well turn out to be a great player down the road, but it won't help the team remain competitive when Iginla and Kipper are long gone.

Secondly, the oft-mentioned goal of obtaining more players in that target bracket, 23-28, is again, easier said than done. Getting those players, especially if they're any good or have potential, will cost significant assets; assets that the Flames don't currently have.

Thirdly, towing the line between being competitive whilst restocking the prospect pool for a team in the Flames position is virtually impossible, mainly because the two biggest reasons for the clubs continued success are both very likely to leave if the team fails to make any noise. If the Flames fail to make the playoffs, the chances Iginla re-signs are slim at best. He's stated multiple times that he's not interested in being part of rebuild, and that he does want to win a cup before his playing career ends. When Kipper signed his contract, it was strongly insinuated that he wasn't intending to play out the final year of his contract when he makes just 1.5M. Without those two players, the Flames are very likely a lottery team.

Make no mistake, if the Flames fail to make the playoffs in the upcoming season, they probably won't make it for a long, long time.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Kitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Does anyone else find this post funny? So a signing Wideman and Hudler could make a good team into a contender but isn't able to make a decent team into a good team? Now I know your next question is "is that all you want to be is a good team" I believe every team should ice the best possible lineup. Now you will say we will be stuck in this spot for years, who knows maybe Getzlaf wants to come back home and Edmonton won't overpay for a UFA since they need to re-sign their young guns, and the Canucks wouldn't have a spot for him so much like Minnesota did with Parise we could offer the most $ and have a real shot at him.
Hudler and Wideman are complementary players in top six and top four roles. My point on them is that to spend money and term like that only make sense if you have the cap space and feel they will fill roster spots to make you a contending team.

I don't know what to say about how you find the post funny than make some odd speculation about Getzlaf perhaps wanting to come back to Calgary.

Iginla and Kipper are declining assets because they are getting older. If you want to continually ice the best team available and not trade these guys the flames will suffer for it. Five years from now you'll be missing an elite goaltender and elite right winger and hope that shrewd drafting in the 12-16 spot will continually producing quality players. Barteschi was a steal (it looks like) but anyone can see that the Flames are in a form of purgatory in the Northwest divison with the Wild, Canucks, and Oilers looking the way they are.

I disagree with the idea of constantly trying to compete with an average aging roster rather than playing the youth and being patient. I think the Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins, Pens would all agree when their rebuilds lead to recent cup victories.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote