HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #13

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2003, 07:04 PM
  #1
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #13-warning, severely lacking due to HF bug

Well, i wrote up a whole report, but then HF botched up on me, and I'm not writing it all again, so we'll just cut to the chase.

Shooting does nothing.

Scoring wins.

Pretty much every player was average tonight. Oates probably being the exception.

Dvorak, Torres, Moreau, and Chimera, among others all had gimme chances tonight and flat-out blew them.

Ty isn't feeling the puck very well. He needs a rest.

LMHF#1 and #2 brought their A-game and couldn't be denied by Sportsnet. That's right, we're TV stars now.

Shortest report ever because of the screw up,

I'm out.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:10 PM
  #2
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Shooting does nothing.

Scoring wins.
You can't score if you don't shoot.

The Rage is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:13 PM
  #3
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
You can't score if you don't shoot.
I knew someone would post this kind of cliche reply, and you just proved that I was right.....

Taking bad shots does nothing, taking a ton of shots does nothing, UNLESS YOU SCORE.

The first period is a perfect example. SJ had ONE shot and was even with us, all those shots we took DID NOTHING. Because they were garbage shots from bad angles and weak shots at the chest, etc.

Scoring is what matters, and we didn't do it, so the shots we took are worthless.


Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 11-30-2003 at 07:19 PM.
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:16 PM
  #4
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
You can't score if you don't shoot.
But yet flip shots from the perimeter do nothing but cause easy puck turnovers and I am sure that is what he/she is getting at. What is the use of 40 shots if most of them come of dump ins and soft wristers? Quality chances are lacking lately even though the shots have been there. And on the quality chances the guys are not burrying.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:19 PM
  #5
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
But yet flip shots from the perimeter do nothing but cause easy puck turnovers and I am sure that is what he/she is getting at. What is the use of 40 shots if most of them come of dump ins and soft wristers? Quality chances are lacking lately even though the shots have been there. And on the quality chances the guys are not burrying.
he/she? what's this he/she thing?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:21 PM
  #6
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,392
vCash: 500
Not saying this happened tonight necessarily, but maybe if Edmonton fans would stop yelling shoot all the time, players would be able to make their own decisions on when it is best to shoot.

They are in a slump right now, they will get through it. At least they better. We are falling in the standings fast.

metallicat is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:21 PM
  #7
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I knew someone would post this kind of cliche reply, and you just proved that I was right.....

Taking bad shots does nothing, taking a ton of shots does nothing, UNLESS YOU SCORE.

The first period is a perfect example. SJ had ONE shot and was even with us, all those shots we took DID NOTHING.

Scoring is what matters, and we didn't do it, so the shots we took are worthless.

I didn't mean that the crap shots the Oilers took were very beneficial. Just that its wrong to say that "shooting does nothing," when obviously it does something, because like I said, you can't score if you don't shoot.

The Rage is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:25 PM
  #8
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I didn't mean that the crap shots the Oilers took were very beneficial. Just that its wrong to say that "shooting does nothing," when obviously it does something, because like I said, you can't score if you don't shoot.
The simple act of taking a shot doesn't matter....ya know what, I was gonna argue this, but I'm not going to, people get what I mean. It's just pretty brutal to pick an argument over something like that.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
  #9
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Not saying this happened tonight necessarily, but maybe if Edmonton fans would stop yelling shoot all the time, players would be able to make their own decisions on when it is best to shoot.

They are in a slump right now, they will get through it. At least they better. We are falling in the standings fast.
Me and #2 have started yelling DON'T SHOOT! to combat that very problem, but it isn't workin yet.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:42 PM
  #10
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The simple act of taking a shot doesn't matter....ya know what, I was gonna argue this, but I'm not going to, people get what I mean. It's just pretty brutal to pick an argument over something like that.
I apologize, I was just being a smart alleck.

The Rage is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
  #11
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I apologize, I was just being a smart alleck.
I noticed.

One of these

Or one of these

would help ya out.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
  #12
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Not saying this happened tonight necessarily, but maybe if Edmonton fans would stop yelling shoot all the time, players would be able to make their own decisions on when it is best to shoot.

They are in a slump right now, they will get through it. At least they better. We are falling in the standings fast.
I am sure they don't listen to the idiots that yell shoot anyways - that would be like me yelling sell to all of the professional stockbrokers in the world. These guys are elite and they didn't get their by listening to some fan yelling at them telling them what to do. All the yelling is just annoying.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
  #13
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Me and #2 have started yelling DON'T SHOOT! to combat that very problem, but it isn't workin yet.

The only thing that will combat that problem is taking care of business yourself. I just hope the Oilers are at least smart enough to realize that not every jackass in the seats knows when the best time to shoot is.

The best powerplay in the NHL is the Detroit Red Wings. At least the best structured, and the most disaplined. Nothing but passes, and quick, firm passes constantly. Why can't the Oil do that?

metallicat is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:50 PM
  #14
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
The only thing that will combat that problem is taking care of business yourself. I just hope the Oilers are at least smart enough to realize that not every jackass in the seats knows when the best time to shoot is.

The best powerplay in the NHL is the Detroit Red Wings. At least the best structured, and the most disaplined. Nothing but passes, and quick, firm passes constantly. Why can't the Oil do that?
You'd really hope and assume that the yelling doesn't have any impact. I just find it utterly appalling how many "fans" have NO CLUE what a quality shooting chance is, and when you need to hold onto the puck, and what shots are a complete and total waste/mo-killer. The DON'T SHOOT! Is of course more for them than the players.

Agree on the Wings, always been sayin it, additionally their breakout and in are to be envied. Why can't the Oilers do this? Coaching. They haven't been taught how to set up in that manner and execute plays that way. You can see Oates trying, but the others are stuck with the system they've been taught.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:53 PM
  #15
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
You'd really hope and assume that the yelling doesn't have any impact. I just find it utterly appalling how many "fans" have NO CLUE what a quality shooting chance is, and when you need to hold onto the puck, and what shots are a complete and total waste/mo-killer. The DON'T SHOOT! Is of course more for them than the players.

Agree on the Wings, always been sayin it, additionally their breakout and in are to be envied. Why can't the Oilers do this? Coaching. They haven't been taught how to set up in that manner and execute plays that way. You can see Oates trying, but the others are stuck with the system they've been taught.
And I think other teams know it. They give the Oil d-men ZERO time. I was watching the Vancouver/Calgary game yesterday, and both teams had decent PPs, because they were able to cycle the puck. The other team respected what they could do. With the Oil, the opposing teams just seem to zone in on the defense because its not as if they would ever pass the puck more than twice, they would rather instead take a crappy shot.

metallicat is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:54 PM
  #16
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
You'd really hope and assume that the yelling doesn't have any impact. I just find it utterly appalling how many "fans" have NO CLUE what a quality shooting chance is, and when you need to hold onto the puck, and what shots are a complete and total waste/mo-killer. The DON'T SHOOT! Is of course more for them than the players.

Agree on the Wings, always been sayin it, additionally their breakout and in are to be envied. Why can't the Oilers do this? Coaching. They haven't been taught how to set up in that manner and execute plays that way. You can see Oates trying, but the others are stuck with the system they've been taught.
Why can't the Oilers do that? Talent!!!!! They don't have Schneider, Lidstrom, Chelios, etc. on the back end to move the puck up ice out of their own zone. Don't kid yourself this is what makes their break out and in impressive. Forwards like Yzerman, Shanahan, Datsyuk, Hull, Zetterberg etc. are the reason why. The Oilers don't have one of those guys and they have a couple on every line. Experience and confidence breeds success. They have confidence - they are successfull. Do you honestly think that Detroits coaching is that much more experienced and knowledgeable? I don't. With Bowman yes - with Lewis not even close.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 07:58 PM
  #17
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Why can't the Oilers do that? Talent!!!!! They don't have Schneider, Lidstrom, Chelios, etc. on the back end to move the puck up ice out of their own zone. Don't kid yourself this is what makes their break out and in impressive. Forwards like Yzerman, Shanahan, Datsyuk, Hull, Zetterberg etc. are the reason why. The Oilers don't have one of those guys and they have a couple on every line. Experience and confidence breeds success. They have confidence - they are successfull. Do you honestly think that Detroits coaching is that much more experienced and knowledgeable? I don't. With Bowman yes - with Lewis not even close.
Lewis has been there for a LONG time, and kept essentially the same system.

Edmonton wouldn't be #1 in the league, but would have a much better PP if they were taught in the same way.

Talent is not what makes their break-out impressive, it's knowing their job and doing it. They are all moving, they have a place to go, that's a coach's job to implement.

Obviously the Oilers wouldn't turn into the Wings overnight, but they'd be better and have more success, I'd bet the farm on it.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
  #18
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
And I think other teams know it. They give the Oil d-men ZERO time. I was watching the Vancouver/Calgary game yesterday, and both teams had decent PPs, because they were able to cycle the puck. The other team respected what they could do. With the Oil, the opposing teams just seem to zone in on the defense because its not as if they would ever pass the puck more than twice, they would rather instead take a crappy shot.
Our players are also instructed to only play half the ice on the PP, which really helps things

It's extremely easy to bottle-up 5 players when they're so close together they're hitting eachother.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 08:07 PM
  #19
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Lewis has been there for a LONG time, and kept essentially the same system.

Edmonton wouldn't be #1 in the league, but would have a much better PP if they were taught in the same way.

Talent is not what makes their break-out impressive, it's knowing their job and doing it. They are all moving, they have a place to go, that's a coach's job to implement.

Obviously the Oilers wouldn't turn into the Wings overnight, but they'd be better and have more success, I'd bet the farm on it.
I disagree - what makes their system look good is their talent. When the defense make perfect passes to forwards on the fly any team will look good. The Oilers blueliners rarely make a good first pass, and when they do the forwards often fail to coral the puck or turn it over right after the pass is made. That is what is missing with the Niniinaa deal. He had the ability to make that first pass giving the forwards more time to exit the zone. As for PP if the players can't get control of the puck in the offensive zone with more players on the ice than the other team it isn't the coaches fault - and if it was the responsibility would lie on the shoulders of Craig Simpson - that is why they hired him. Because the Oilers lack pure goal scorers - they need to simplify the PP and I think they realize that. The fact remains the players aren't playing desperate enough on the PP. Watch the battles along the boards on the dump ins. They lose the puck everytime and they are out manning the other team. I feel the responsibility lies in the hands of the players. They are talented enough and creative enough to score goals against fewer players - unfortunately they haven't done so. Not a system in hockey would ever change that.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
  #20
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
The best powerplay in the NHL is the Detroit Red Wings. At least the best structured, and the most disaplined. Nothing but passes, and quick, firm passes constantly. Why can't the Oil do that?
They can, just not often or consistently.

Why not?

Wings: Thomas, Yzerman, Shanahan, Whitney (how ya like him now, Ron Low?), Hull, Holmstrom, Hatcher (when he's healthy), Lidstrom, Fischer, Wooley, Schneider, and Chelios. Fischer excepted, not a one under 30.

Oilers: Oates, Smyth, Hemsky, Dvorak, York, Isbister, Moreau, Brewer, Staios, Bergeron, Semenov, Cross. Oates and Cross excepted, not a one over 30, and if Cross is on your PP you're in trouble. (And... shock shock, he gets PP time and they're in trouble.)

In case it's not bleedingly obvious, the answer is experience. Hopefully Oates will bring enough of that to help.

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.