HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Official Sky Is Falling Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Official Sky Is Falling Thread

It's apparent that there are quite a large amount of posts bashing the organization in many different threads. Rather than littering them with that type of talk, let's try and contain the majority of it in here so we can stay on topic in others. Please remember to adhere to the rules of the site and for those that do no want to participate in negative talk (I'm sure there will be plenty) then simply ignore this thread.

Thanks.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Islanderfan17

Snow really needs to make a couple more signings or this team is in big trouble IMO

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
"And the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft goes to...the New York Islanders" - Bill Daly

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:53 PM
danteipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Chuckie View Post
"And the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft goes to...the New York Islanders" - Bill Daly
Come on be serious... you know we would lose the lottery and get jumped by another team.

danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Come on be serious... you know we would lose the lottery and get jumped by another team.
I guess Seth Jones wouldn't be such a bad alternative. Am I being too positive for this thread?

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:59 PM
bluechipbonzo

A ten point improvement next season has the Islanders knocking on the door of the playoffs. I think it possible with the current line-up...and here's why:

Tavares line- he moves into yet another gear, cracking 90 points on the season. Moulson will eclipse the 30 goal mark again, and perhaps threaten 40. Boyes is a big body that will be highly motivated on a one-year deal. Parenteau will become an afterthought when he fails to put up similar numbers in Colorado.

Nabokov- veteran stability the team hasn't had since Osgoode will carry the bulk of the load and cut goals against. An improved defense goes a long way here too.

Streit/Viznovsky- both offensive minded defenders still have plenty left in the tank, and should combine for a deadly powerplay

Hamonic/MacDonald- these two youngsters will continue to develop, and yet carry enough NHL experience to be a second pairing tandem on most NHL squads. Splitting them with Streit and Viz will only help.

Rookies and pups- Bailey, Okposo, Martin, and Grabner all have more to offer. No reason to expect regression here, particularly with Tavares' line drawing top checkers. Ullstrom and Cizikas look ready for full-time duty, bringing strong forechecking with offensive support players like Rolston and Pandolfo could never provide.

Snow- the stated goal is to make the playoffs, and what's different this time around is he has publicly stated that the prospect pool is now deep enough to start trading up. The Islanders will be as close as ever to make the playoffs, and I expect Snow will be adding at the trade deadline this year- something he hasn't really done yet since announcing the rebuild.

Sure, this is all speculative on my part. However, It's not rose-coloured glasses, it's being fair:

There's no solid reason to think the kids won't improve.

There's no solid reason to think that the goaltending numbers won't be better with Nabokov as the number one.

There's no solid reason to think the powerplay won't be deadly this year, even with the loss of Pap.

The team is more experienced, grittier, and most of all, hungry.

The dressing room is tight, and the players know it's time to step up.

IMO, they will.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Islanders1932

The average amount of goals among the Eastern Conference Playoff Teams last year was 243 goals.

The Islanders scored 203 goals last season.

They lost PA Parenteau (203 - 18 = 185 GOALS)

Therefore we needed to replace 58 goals to be at the average of playoff teams.

We signed Brad Boyes (185 + 8 = 193)
We signed Lubomir Visnovsky (193 + 6 = 199)
We signed Matt Carkner ( 199 + 1 = 200)

So we lost one guy, signed 3 and overall using last years numbers are still down 3 goals from last season and therefore 43 goals away from having the average amount of a playoff team.

Where do those 43 goals come from? People saying this team is already better than last year need to wake up. I know that some players will improve, but some won't. It all will balance out. 43 goals is a huge amount to overcome especially when we had the 3rd most goals against in the Eastern Conference. We can't score goals and we can't stop them, where is the improvement?

Listen I want this team to be good just as much as anyone else. Last year I seriously thought we had a playoff team based on how they performed at then end. I am not going to buy into the fact that this is a playoff team just because we want them to be so badly. Snow needs to make a move to get us a big time scorer. If we legitimately want a shot at the playoffs we are going to need more help.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
M Moulson Ale
Vanek to the rescue!

I guess this is "Vent Thread Part II"

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
The average amount of goals among the Eastern Conference Playoff Teams last year was 243 goals.

I hate this kind of math because it assumes nobody on the team will improve their goal totals, especially whoever inherits PAP's spot on JT's wing. With a team primarily full of youngsters, you gotta expect some of them to take the extra step.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

I just want a new arena and/or a def solution already.

Is that too much to ask for?

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:

So we lost one guy, signed 3 and overall using last years numbers are still down 3 goals from last season and therefore 43 goals away from having the average amount of a playoff team.

Where do those 43 goals come from? People saying this team is already better than last year need to wake up. I know that some players will improve, but some won't. It all will balance out. 43 goals is a huge amount to overcome especially when we had the 3rd most goals against in the Eastern Conference. We can't score goals and we can't stop them, where is the improvement?

Listen I want this team to be good just as much as anyone else. Last year I seriously thought we had a playoff team based on how they performed at then end. I am not going to buy into the fact that this is a playoff team just because we want them to be so badly. Snow needs to make a move to get us a big time scorer. If we legitimately want a shot at the playoffs we are going to need more help.
Young team with a lot of potential trying to get over the hump. Anything can happen. They were six wins and an OT loss from a playoff spot last year. It all comes down to how they start off the season. Having a legit #1 starter and some improvements on the back end could really help.

This team can score on a playoff 'worthy' pace. It's the consistency thats the problem, not the players. I honestly feel it is a direct result of the first few weeks of the season. They dig themselves a hole by mid November every damn year. Kills their hopes. The biggest problem with youth imo (and washed up vets who just want a check).

Imagine going into a season knowing the best goalie you have really doesn't want to play for your team. The only other goalie with experience is injured 80 games and Montoya and the rookies are all you have. So you start the season off and begin to lose a lot because of the inexperience in net and the ****** bottom 3 dmen. The teams confidence drops and snowballs. For the most part, those things have been addressed. I'm not all that confident, but lets wait a little while before we write off the season.

You may all proceed with the much needed venting...

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
I guess this is "Vent Thread Part II"
Haha, yeah. It's exactly that. I think other threads are suffering and going off topic with a lot of negative talk. Figured it was time for another venting thread.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
IslesFanatic707

I want another pony

IslesFanatic707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
M Moulson Ale
Vanek to the rescue!

For those who forgot their frustrations: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...823&highlight=

I still go back to this thread for laughs.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
A ten point improvement next season has the Islanders knocking on the door of the playoffs. I think it possible with the current line-up...and here's why:

Tavares line- he moves into yet another gear, cracking 90 points on the season. Moulson will eclipse the 30 goal mark again, and perhaps threaten 40. Boyes is a big body that will be highly motivated on a one-year deal. Parenteau will become an afterthought when he fails to put up similar numbers in Colorado.

Nabokov- veteran stability the team hasn't had since Osgoode will carry the bulk of the load and cut goals against. An improved defense goes a long way here too.

Streit/Viznovsky- both offensive minded defenders still have plenty left in the tank, and should combine for a deadly powerplay

Hamonic/MacDonald- these two youngsters will continue to develop, and yet carry enough NHL experience to be a second pairing tandem on most NHL squads. Splitting them with Streit and Viz will only help.

Rookies and pups- Bailey, Okposo, Martin, and Grabner all have more to offer. No reason to expect regression here, particularly with Tavares' line drawing top checkers. Ullstrom and Cizikas look ready for full-time duty, bringing strong forechecking with offensive support players like Rolston and Pandolfo could never provide.

Snow- the stated goal is to make the playoffs, and what's different this time around is he has publicly stated that the prospect pool is now deep enough to start trading up. The Islanders will be as close as ever to make the playoffs, and I expect Snow will be adding at the trade deadline this year- something he hasn't really done yet since announcing the rebuild.

Sure, this is all speculative on my part. However, It's not rose-coloured glasses, it's being fair:

There's no solid reason to think the kids won't improve.

There's no solid reason to think that the goaltending numbers won't be better with Nabokov as the number one.

There's no solid reason to think the powerplay won't be deadly this year, even with the loss of Pap.

The team is more experienced, grittier, and most of all, hungry.

The dressing room is tight, and the players know it's time to step up.

IMO, they will.
I think those of us that are a little more aware of subtle upward trajectory may need our own thread.

There is a reason they play 82 games - they wouldn't just give the Stanley Cup to Minnesota after Fletcher pulled yesterday's coup. I know it burns most Islander fans seeing the cream of the FA market almost deliberately shunning the Isles and the Isles gently shunning it right back, but with each year Tavares & Hamonic spend on the team, they grow. Poulin and/or Nilsson should be ready to take the workload after another season. The roster is slowly becoming a little closer to having been built by Snow's drafting. I know Nino & Bailey have elicited varying degrees of frustration from all of us, but those are two first rounders - Martin, Cizikas, Ullstrom are all hard workers, Tavares & Hamonic are both studs and they still have Strome coming up.

Make no mistake, this team isn't likely to pull an '06 Oilers-level ascent to the Cup Finals, but the defense is improved this year, regardless of how some may knock it out of justified habit - plenty teams roll with 4 vets & 2 kids. Injuries can foul things up immensely, but that's all teams.

Even "Tankellini's" Oilers start out with the same # of points as the last Cup champion. Not trying to sound overly optimistic, but in the event that this team adheres the right way, there's no rule stating that the Isles can't finish higher than Tampt, Winnipeg, Toronto, Jersey and Montreal. That's 9th. If they can manage to chickenfight well enough with the Sabres, Capitals and Senators, they have a chance to leap-frog one of them. It's a hard road, but not an impossible one.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled suicide watch.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:09 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:

Tavares - 38
Moulson - 35
Okposo - 28
Grabner - 25
Boyes - 21
Bailey - 20
Visnovsky - 17
Nielsen - 15
Streit - 13
Martin - 10
Reasoner - 8
Cizikas - 6
Ullstrom - 5
MacDonald - 3
Hamonic - 3
Carkner - 2
Donovan/ de Haan - 2

My highly optimistic predictions for next year

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
dcv2002

Maybe we could resign Bruno Gervais?

Oh wait. The Flyers got that prize possession. Yup, we're screwed.

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
I just want the season to start. Is it October yet?

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Macch

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's apparent that there are quite a large amount of posts bashing the organization in many different threads. Rather than littering them with that type of talk, let's try and contain the majority of it in here so we can stay on topic in others. Please remember to adhere to the rules of the site and for those that do no want to participate in negative talk (I'm sure there will be plenty) then simply ignore this thread.

Thanks.
So, I think if you are going to do this, you need to define more specifically what is now frowned upon in topic specific threads. I suggest defining "bashing the organization" as a start.

For example, if we are in the Free Agency thread, are we only allowed to say what a great draft the Isles had, or can we say that drafting seven D men is ridiculous? Or does that comment only happen here?

And if we are in the 2012/2013 New York Islanders Lineup/Roster Thread, can we say that letting Haley go while signing Boulton is a joke, or is that only allowed here?

Running a board like a police state because you don't like negativity does not seem very constructive, since the whole objective of a forum is to hear different sides of an argument. It is not the posters' fault that almost every thread is cause for negative commentary about the Islanders' organization. When it stops being Mickey Mouse, the sentiments will evolve.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
bluechipbonzo

Tavares - 41
Moulson - 39
Okposo - 25
Grabner - 25
Boyes - 25
Bailey - 17
Nielsen - 15
Ullstrom - 14
Joensuu- 12
Cizikas - 11
Streit - 10
Visnovsky - 10
Martin - 10
Hamonic - 8
Reasoner - 8
A. MacDonald - 7
de Haan - 6
C. MacDonald 5
Donovan - 3
Kabanov- 2
Carkner - 0

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Pnut

**** all the politicians in Nassau county.

....now back to your regularly scheduled Wang and Snow bashing

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

I think we will see further improvements from Tavares, Okposo, and Hamonic, which should really help. The addition of Visnovsky will really help our greatest weakness, the transition game. I think the 3 key guys for us to make a run at the playoffs will be Grabner, Bailey, and Streit. If they all have very good years I see us making a run towards a lower playoff seed.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Tavares - 38
Moulson - 35
Okposo - 28
Grabner - 25
Boyes - 21
Bailey - 20
Visnovsky - 17
Nielsen - 15
Streit - 13
Martin - 10
Reasoner - 8
Cizikas - 6
Ullstrom - 5
MacDonald - 3
Hamonic - 3
Carkner - 2
Donovan/ de Haan - 2

My highly optimistic predictions for next year
If Ullstrom plays the full season then I can easily see him getting anywhere from 10 - 20 goals.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I think we will see further improvements from Tavares, Okposo, and Hamonic, which should really help. The addition of Visnovsky will really help our greatest weakness, the transition game. I think the 3 key guys for us to make a run at the playoffs will be Grabner, Bailey, and Streit. If they all have very good years I see us making a run towards a lower playoff seed.
As pessimisstic as we should all be, the fact that we might actually have an NHL-caliber defense this season should help in all 3 zones. I couldn't stand another year of 1/2 our defense belonging in the AHL.

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote