HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Weber?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Weber's reaction to Suter's departure

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ly-eyes-to-you

Quote:
"He’s still in disbelief," Kevin Epp, one of Weber’s agents at Titan Sports Management, told ESPN.com Thursday. "They were so close this year in terms of the team’s chances. They really had a shot. Shea believed there was a good chance that Ryan would stay there. So, right now, Shea is still processing this news."

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
If you trade Weber, I have to think it would not be to the Western Conference, especially the Red Wings.

The Flyers would offer you a pretty penny for him.
I think the Flyers are the team with the second best assets to give for Weber. The only team that can beat them is the Rangers (a team I don't see as a likely destination).

McDonagh/Staal/Girardi+Kreider/Stepan.

Their forwards aren't as good as Couturier (except maybe Kreider), but the D is amazing.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
More evidence that Weber might be looking to be moved as he keeps the opportunity to be offer sheeted open.

@FriedgeHNIC: Shea Weber won't file for arbitration. NASH can't file, because it did last year. He remains an RFA, pending a new deal or an offer sheet.
Not really. Under no circumstance does Weber filing for arbitration make sense. This was fully expected.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Also, I keep seeing people say "Well, this team will just offer sheet Weber and give up picks"...

Weber has to be willing to sign an offer sheet, and he can choose which team he signs that offer sheet with. If Edmonton throws an offer sheet at Weber, he can decline and choose which team he wants to give the opportunity too.

He is essentially a limited UFA in the sense that he can choose which team he signs with and almost forces Poile to accept the picks rather than lose him for nothing.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
There is a 3rd option:

A team that has a good chance of signing Weber next season offersheets Weber for $8.4M this season.

1.) If Poile doesn't match, team walks away with Weber for the cost of two 1st's, 2nd, and 3rd.

2.) If Poile matches, sure he gets Weber for another year at a reasonable salary, but then is very likely to lose Weber next year for nothing at all because he can't trade Weber once he matches the offersheet.

This is the scenario that puts pressure on Poile to trade Weber now if he won't re-sign, before a no-win offer sheet arrives.
This scenario is ignoring a key aspect: the CBA expires on 9/15. Unless one believes that the next CBA won't have term limits on contracts- and produces an overall lowering of the cap, Weber's best chance at a long term contract similar to Suter's (including the bonuses) is right now.

If Weber signs a one-year offer sheet (or elects arbitration), he commits to doing his new UFA contract under the rules of the yet-to-be determined CBA. If he signs a long-term offer sheet, Nashville will match period.

Poile is not as helpless here as he was with Suter.

If Weber does not re-sign with Nashville long term, he really wants out to take that gamble with term limits. Let's assume he rolls that dice. His next contract (pick a team, doesn't matter) would likely be limited to 7yrs. Let's assume he gets $8 per on average (assuming the drop in the cap ceiling would allow that- it should). That's $56 million instead of the $100-ish million he would get from Nashville right now. Do you risk a career-ending injury (like concussions) preventing you from a second contract?

Let's also be real here regarding Nashville. They lost one player, albeit an elite one. They have a ton of cap space with the apparent willingness to spend it. Weber's contract won't even bring them close to the floor and they don't have that many spots open. There's no reason that Nashville can't contend for the division and the Cup next season if they move forward.

Last edited by David Singleton: 07-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTooth View Post
Why wouldn't the Oilers put in an offer sheet for Weber? Why would they care to lose future number one draft picks? Would we match and then risk losing Weber just like we've lost Hamhuis and Suter?
I don't think anyone will bother offer sheeting Weber with a long term deal because, assuming he wants out of Nashville, he wouldn't be willing to sign anything the Preds could match.

The cost of offer sheeting him with a one year deal wouldn't be worth it unless you knew he was going to re-sign, especially for a team like the Oilers. There is an off chance that a desperate contender might try this with a one year contract under the $8.4 million threshold.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I think the Flyers are the team with the second best assets to give for Weber. The only team that can beat them is the Rangers (a team I don't see as a likely destination).

Their forwards aren't as good as Couturier (except maybe Kreider), but the D is amazing.
Yea I agree, but it all matters what Poile would want back in a deal. If it's forwards, you come to us, if it's young defenders you go the Rangers. I think the Preds have plenty of young defensive players who have top pairing potential. We could also give you a very serviceable defender plus Couts to get the deal done. Maybe we get a little something in return too who knows? Of course this is all just speculation right now.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

McD is a no go, even for Weber.

Staal/Girardi would absolutely be in the mix. Rangers would be most willing to part with Dan G, but Staal is the better player. I think Nashville would want him and they would get him. The only problem with Staal is that he may bolt in three years.

Krieder is a no go(they are EXTREMELY high on the kid), and they don't have enough organizational depth to trade Stepan(although player value wise-he is fair in a deal).

So realistically- it would be a package around Staal, Hagelin, prospect, pick. But I don't think the Rangers have enough forward depth to make that deal happen. Nor do I think Rangers want to increase the payroll of their D.

Its not a good a fit for either team in a trade.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 07-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Yea I agree, but it all matters what Poile would want back in a deal. If it's forwards, you come to us, if it's young defenders you go the Rangers. I think the Preds have plenty of young defensive players who have top pairing potential. We could also give you a very serviceable defender plus Couts to get the deal done. Maybe we get a little something in return too who knows? Of course this is all just speculation right now.
I agree with him, the flyers are probably a better trading partner. They have a MUCH higher need for a Dman, and Polie would be able to get more from Holgrem than Sather.

But if Nashville is looking for D replacement, than the Rangers are MUCH better than the Flyers.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I agree with him, the flyers are probably a better trading partner. They have a MUCH higher need for a Dman, and Polie would be able to get more from Holgrem than Sather.

But if Nashville is looking for D replacement, than the Rangers are MUCH better.
The best trading partner is whichever team Weber tells he will sign an extension... period. No team is going to trade jack squat for Weber if he won't tell them he'd sign an extension and a team that knows they can get an extension with Weber is likely going to offer up more in a deal.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
The best trading partner is whichever team Weber tells he will sign an extension... period. No team is going to trade jack squat for Weber if he won't tell them he'd sign an extension and a team that knows they can get an extension with Weber is likely going to offer up more in a deal.
Why exactly wouldn't he sign an extension with the Flyers? Btw, Polie doesn't care if he signs an extension or not with the team he is traded to.

There are some really dumb GM's out there that will overpay for Weber even if its only as a rental.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 07-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Teekko

Quote:
Why exactly wouldn't he sign an extension with the Flyers?
Because they're not the Canucks

Teekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Weber can openly talk to teams right now. He is an RFA. Teams can call him and say "Hey, will you sign long-term" before a trade ever happens.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
pekkaslap

We're likely going to be disappointed in the return wherever Weber is traded.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Clearthepuck

Would you guys hate the Canucks if Weber was offer sheeted?

Clearthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Why exactly wouldn't he sign an extension with the Flyers?
Maybe he doesn't want too. Everyone seems set on the fact that "Oh, we'll just trade for him and he'll sign an extension..."

Why would he sign one there? Maybe he hates the East coast? Maybe he hates Orange? Maybe he likes orange? Maybe he hates that rendition of God Bless America with the over overly excited blonde.... who knows.

The only people who will know who he WILL sign an extension with are who he tells that he will.

Would he sign an extension with Columbus if he was traded there? Florida? Anaheim?

I'm pretty sure there are a good number of teams he would not sign an extension with, and those are his personal reasons. Maybe he's just dead set on playing in one particular city and he's already decided where that is.

For all we know, he's already told a certain team "I WANT to play with your team whether you trade for me or I go to UFA." And since he's a RFA now, he's more than able to do so without punishment.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I doubt it, you guys are going to get a ransom for him. Remember, Weber doesn't have a NTC. He can be moved anywhere.

Some teams are REALLY desperate for a #1 Dman, especially a right handed one.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want too. Everyone seems set on the fact that "Oh, we'll just trade for him and he'll sign an extension..."

Why would he sign one there? Maybe he hates the East coast? Maybe he hates Orange? Maybe he likes orange? Maybe he hates that rendition of God Bless America with the over overly excited blonde.... who knows.

The only people who will know who he WILL sign an extension with are who he tells that he will.

Would he sign an extension with Columbus if he was traded there? Florida? Anaheim?

I'm pretty sure there are a good number of teams he would not sign an extension with, and those are his personal reasons. Maybe he's just dead set on playing in one particular city and he's already decided where that is.

For all we know, he's already told a certain team "I WANT to play with your team whether you trade for me or I go to UFA." And since he's a RFA now, he's more than able to do so without punishment.
Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Canucks either. We are speculating, we aren't GM's.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I doubt that. After losing Suter for nothing but lingering disappointment, there's no way Poile let's Weber go somewhere else without a sizable return. I'm all for signing Weber long-term and giving him a fat offer, both in terms of years and dollars. We need that anchor, captain, and face of the franchise.

Poile needs to use Suter leaving to light a competitive fire under Weber. He can ask Shea if wants to run away too or if he's willing to man up and lead this franchise long-term.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Canucks either. We are speculating, we aren't GM's.
That's exactly my point... NONE of us know where he wants to play and the 'best trade' possible isn't going to be made by the fans. It's going to be determined by where Weber has indicated he'd likely sign an extension.

You can bet that every GM in the league has contacted Webers agent and they already know where they stand on the extension side of things. Those that have been told "Yes, Weber would likely sign and extension" are the ones who will be competing and offering up the best trade packages.

The second Weber was a RFA, his agent had 30 GM's calling him to ask where they stand or to have Weber think about.

From our (The Fans) perspective... it's completely speculative. Maybe he's dead set on playing in Vancouver. He was quoted at a local charity golf tournament how nice it would be to play here.... but maybe he's thought it over and the thought of playing with Dan Hamhuis makes him sick now. Maybe a seagull crapped on his head and he wants to be nowhere near them.

Many of us could make claims as to where Weber would 'like' to play... the problem is that really only Weber and his Agent know where those places are. Maybe it's one city... maybe it's any other team except Nashville and he just wants to get the hell out of a town that plays waaaaaayyyyyy too much Country music (So I guess Calgary is off his list as well).

Old
07-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

The only thing that worries me with Weber actually becoming available is what the Flyers would offer. Couturier is supposed to be as close as untouchable as Giroux on this team. I wonder if Homer still keeps that mentality when trying(of course if available) for Weber. I personally would let him go for him, but Homer is stubborn. It would be fun to see the bidding war for him too, but like I said it is very rare a team will trade a big named player like this in conference. The Flyers deliberately traded Richie and Carts out west so they don't play them 4-6 times a year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Top 6 Spaling

As much as I hate to say it, I think Vancouver is likely one of Weber's top destinations. Is he dead set on it, and no other team? I doubt it. But I do think that they would be one that he would be willing to sign with. (Just speculation.)

Old
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Probably. Can a track record get much worse than Poile's as far as losing talent? I know at times there have been circumstances beyond his control, but wow, lol.

Don Waddell?

I'd have to say Mike Milbury. Head and shoulders above anybody else.

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, I think Vancouver is likely one of Weber's top destinations. Is he dead set on it, and no other team? I doubt it. But I do think that they would be one that he would be willing to sign with. (Just speculation.)
The only reason I'd even cursorily embrace said speculation is because Weber's fiancee (like Weber) is from B.C., and the wives/girlfriends tend to be driving factors in these decisions.

However, historically, our franchise is haunted by misfortune, so if we do somehow end up with Weber, odds are he'll turn out to have a Mummy's Curse or something.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the only real threat here is a one-year offersheet. any team offering even a mega deal offersheet for multiple years will have just done the work for Poile.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote