HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The East Is Getting Tougher

Old
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
caley

vCash: 500
The East Is Getting Tougher

One interesting development, so far, in free agency is the adding of enforcers and grit in the East.

-Boston: already full of guys who can fight (Thornton, Campbell, McQuaid)
-Buffalo: added Steve Ott and John Scott to a team with Mike Weber and Cody McCormick
-Florida: added George Parros and J.F. Jacques
-Montreal: added Brandon Prust and Colby Armstrong, and returned Michael Blunden.
-New Jersey: added Krys Barch and retained Cam Janssen
-NY Islanders: added Matt Carkner and Eric Boulton
-NY Rangers: added Arron Asham and Michael Haley, retained Stu Bickel and still has Mike Rupp
-Ottawa: added Marc Methot and Hugh Jessiman
-Philadelphia: already has Jody Shelley, and Zac Rinaldo
-Pittsburgh: added Tanner Glass and retained Steve MacIntyre
-Toronto: already has Colton Orr in the AHL, along with Mike Komisarek and Mike Brown

Carolina,Tampa, Washington and Winnipeg are about the only teams to stay out of this muscling up.

If I'm one of Tom Kostopoulos, P.L. Leblond, Eric Godard, Matt Bradley, Zack Stortini, Andre Deveaux, Tim Conboy, Boris Valabik, Jim Vandermeer, Jay Rosehill or D.J. King, I'm calling one of those four teams and offering my services, might just end up with an NHL payday.

Anyone see a reason why the East is arming up like this? Is it because of the Rangers and Devils success with toughness?

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
One interesting development, so far, in free agency is the adding of enforcers and grit in the East.

-Buffalo: added Steve Ott and John Scott to a team with Mike Weber and Cody McCormick
-Montreal: added Brandon Prust and Colby Armstrong, and returned Michael Blunden.
-NY Rangers: added Arron Asham and Michael Haley, retained Stu Bickel and still has Mike Rupp
-Toronto: already has Colton Orr in the AHL, along with Mike Komisarek and Mike Brown

Carolina,Tampa, Washington and Winnipeg are about the only teams to stay out of this muscling up.

If I'm one of Tom Kostopoulos, P.L. Leblond, Eric Godard, Matt Bradley, Zack Stortini, Andre Deveaux, Tim Conboy, Boris Valabik, Jim Vandermeer, Jay Rosehill or D.J. King, I'm calling one of those four teams and offering my services, might just end up with an NHL payday.

Anyone see a reason why the East is arming up like this? Is it because of the Rangers and Devils success with toughness?
That's not tougher. Half the guys you just named off can't even play the game. West have a lot of guys that can play the game / fight.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Fighting doesn't equate to scoring. West easily has the stiffer competition and higher amounts talent that can bang and score...Plus East just lost Parise.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Machinae

Half those teams lost about as much toughness as they gained.

Ottawa lost Carkner and Konopka and Toronto lost Schenn, Armstrong (lol he's not even tough) and Rosehill and replaced them with almost nothing.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
pigpen65

The NHL is cyclic. After the lockout the faster more skilled teams were the most successful. After a couple years the rules relaxed and the teams like Anaheim and Boston had a jump start on toughness and nobody could compete. Everybody is beefing up now to catch up, but if you think about it, the actual forward thinking play now would be to shed toughness for skill and catch the next wave of rule changes. With this new cba the same thing is probably going to happen and next year the smallest quickest teams are going to be running circles around the pylon tough teams again.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:39 PM
n3ss

The Caps have Erskine, Brouwer, Hendricks, and Ward (I think he fights?). They're not true enforcers but they generally do alright.

DJ King... lol.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:

He acts though, that's about it

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Leafs are still getting weaker

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:

He still plays hockey?!?!

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Habs still need a true heavyweight IMO. Doesn't need to dress every game, but it would be a good option to have when the need arises.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

This is concluded upon every summer, when in fact most tough guys just replaced each other on various teams.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Habs still need a true heavyweight IMO. Doesn't need to dress every game, but it would be a good option to have when the need arises.
After the failed Laraque experiment, I doubt the Habs go after a heavyweight in the future

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It would be more interesting to see who the tougher teams are "net", if you will. You're only listing the additions without accounting for the losses.

Ottawa added Methot and Jessiman, but lost Konopka, Carkner and Foligno. Would anyone argue that they're a tougher team on paper now than last year?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
The NHL is cyclic. After the lockout the faster more skilled teams were the most successful. After a couple years the rules relaxed and the teams like Anaheim and Boston had a jump start on toughness and nobody could compete. Everybody is beefing up now to catch up, but if you think about it, the actual forward thinking play now would be to shed toughness for skill and catch the next wave of rule changes. With this new cba the same thing is probably going to happen and next year the smallest quickest teams are going to be running circles around the pylon tough teams again.
Only exception is if you have a team like Vancouver, Boston won due to overpowering them with their toughness.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
About time someone said that...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Only exception is if you have a team like Vancouver, Boston won due to overpowering them with their toughness.
And outscoring them 23-8...

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Are you kidding!! He damn near broke Lucic's hand with his head...now thats tough!

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

This guy isn't tough?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Shuffling around goons doesn't make the east all that tougher IMO. A lot of these teams have a loooong way to go to catch up to St Louis, LA, Vancouver, and Minnesota

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Are you kidding!! He damn near broke Lucic's hand with his head...now thats tough!
More like the other way around..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

Rangers also have Dubinsky (who beat Mike Richards a few times.., Boyle (who tries to fight), Michael Sauer (who knows if he will fight with his concussion issues) and prospect JT Miller (8 fights in junior this year)

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
After the failed Laraque experiment, I doubt the Habs go after a heavyweight in the future
Different regime top to bottom.

If they don't add a meathead, it won't be because laraque didn't work out.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:

Nice list of teams who aren't going to win the Cup next year

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:

Both those guys aren't really tough, both play a grinding game, but suck at fight.

But MTL has Prust-White-Moen, Bouillon (pound for pound, one of the strongest guys in the league), who are all good fighters, and I'd add Bourque who is actually a good fighter but never fights.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Different regime top to bottom.

If they don't add a meathead, it won't be because laraque didn't work out.
Personally I would rather have guys that can also play hockey compared to some that are simply heavyweights.

A guy like Thornton in Boston can play decent hockey, a guy like Laraque was useless and couldn't skate

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote