HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Should Our Number 1 Line Be

Old
07-01-2012, 12:46 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

vCash: 500
Who Should Our Number 1 Line Be

Keep seeing

Brown Kopi Williams.
Parise Richards Carter.

Not saying we get Parise but if this were the case would Richards and Carter push for the one slot with a legit 30 goal scorer sloted in. Could Kopi and Williams produce more on the 2nd line. Wondering what people think. Not saying this needs to happen just looking for feedback. Regardsless pretty sick top 5 eh!

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

They won a Stanley Cup with that top line.

I say until they keep the no. 1 line intact until we lose the Cup.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:59 AM
tsanuri

With Sutter it is kind of a mute point the top two lines get very close ice time. And it would give us two very solid PP units that would not be mixing lines like it did this year.

tsanuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
We'll find out over the next few days, but it would be a 1A, 1B scenario if we can get a good UFA to fill Penner's spot.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Rusty Batch

At some point it would be great to put our best offensive winger with Kopi. Right now that would be Carter, if we somehow land Parise then hes certainly in contention as well.But it would be a shame not to put either of them with Kopi who is probably our best at almost every categoy on our roster, puck control, playmaking, defense, goal scoring (maybe Carter or Parise have him there), etc...

Id love to see Kopi pared with Parise or Carter. With Sutter as the coach I wouldnt be surprise to see Kopi put up a 100 points.

Dream scenario:

Brown-Kopi-Carter
Parise-Richards-Williams
Gagne-Stoll-King
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Good mix there of energy, size, playmaking, goal scoring, checking, and puck retrieval on each line.

Last edited by Rusty Batch: 07-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
At some point it would be great to put our best offensive winger with Kopi. Right now that would be Carter, if we somehow land Parise then hes certainly in contention as well.But it would be a shame not to put either of them with Kopi who is probably our best at almost every categoy on our roster, puck control, playmaking, defense, goal scoring (maybe Carter or Parise have him there), etc...

Id love to see Kopi pared with Parise or Carter. With Sutter as the coach I wouldnt be surprise to see Kopi put up a 100 points.

I disagree, Carter likes to put the puck on net at every chance, whereas Kopitar likes puck possession, he likes to keep the puck along the boards and cycle for a good scoring chance by wearing the other team down. No point having your best player paired with a winger who won't let him have the puck.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams would be mine, mainly because Brown needs Kopitar to perform on top of his game. Williams can raise the quality of any line he is put with (he made Smyth-Stoll-Williams a legit scoring line somehow) so for now i'd leave him where he is. They do a little bit of everything, can all cycle, and have been playing together for years now, all be it, not as 1 line, so they have good chemistry.

By loading up the 2nd line with Parise-Richards-Carter, you are effectively forcing teams to play their shutdown tandems vs them, freeing up Kopitar to take on the 2nd units. That is how he will get a chance at 100 points

Last edited by Muzzinga: 07-01-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:22 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Brown-Kopitar-Carter would be the most lethal combination. Kopitar with his great puck handling skills and passing could set up Carter for snipes. That'd be the best line possible. But Putting carter on line 1 would make an Ultra line 1. A a good second line. With Williams on 1 it makes 2 really good possible first lines. Maybe Kopitar and Carter when we are losing in a game.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I disagree, Carter likes to put the puck on net at every chance, whereas Kopitar likes puck possession, he likes to keep the puck along the boards and cycle for a good scoring chance by wearing the other team down. No point having your best player paired with a winger he won't let him have the puck.
I guess I see something different in Carter. While he is by no means a player that cycles, (Kopi is one of the best in the leage however) he is very capable and willing to make very quickdecisions with the puck that seem to be the right ones. The puck doesnt stay on his stick to long in he offensive zone either he rips a shot or quickly finds an open man if he doesnt have a shooting lane. Often times he will find someone wide open over theslot.

He is also great on the rush and I have seen him hld thepuck for a while and make the pass on odd man rushes.

Anyways I think all of this suits Kopi great. I mean he is best at cyclin holding onto the puck and looking for shooters, wouldn't it make the most sense to have more goal sorers play with him?

But I would also point out that Richards is one of those guys that looks to shoot often, do the arguement could be made that he is not a great fit for Carter.

Also if you look at postseason stats, Williams and Brown actually led our team in SOG. Williams in very similar playing time actually got a few more SOG then Carter. So either this means Williams looks to shoot more then Carter (not my opinion) or that Kopis is so good at setting players up that even a guy like Williams gets more good shooting looks then Carter (my opinion).

Would it not stand to reason that we should put our best shooter in position to get the most and best shots?

I also see Richards as more of a homerun hitter and think that with Parises great talent around the net that they would be a very good fit together. Richards creates havoc and it would make sense to have a gritty goal scorer in front of the net for rebounds and the cross-creases that Richards creates.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

I just don't see Parise coming here, yet at the same time, I can't stop thinking about it. Putting him on a line with either Brown or Richards would just be devastating to the opposition.

I'm in happy land thinking about it, but I also won't be disappointed if it doesn't come to fruition.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Brown should've moved to LW years ago. At first, I was against it but I'm glad it's worked out well. I remember that Crawford did experiment that in his stint here for a few games.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I wish for Parise-Kopitar-Williams or Brown-Kopitar-Parise. One can dream, right? As long as Brown plays left wing everything is fine. I know Zach Parise plays both wings well

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:47 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

I think kopi williams parise would be awesome! Too much work ethic to handle on that line

gtwyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Kompon-Ran_y Jones-Cloutier

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:39 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
I guess I see something different in Carter. While he is by no means a player that cycles, (Kopi is one of the best in the leage however) he is very capable and willing to make very quickdecisions with the puck that seem to be the right ones. The puck doesnt stay on his stick to long in he offensive zone either he rips a shot or quickly finds an open man if he doesnt have a shooting lane. Often times he will find someone wide open over theslot.

He is also great on the rush and I have seen him hld thepuck for a while and make the pass on odd man rushes.

Anyways I think all of this suits Kopi great. I mean he is best at cyclin holding onto the puck and looking for shooters, wouldn't it make the most sense to have more goal sorers play with him?

But I would also point out that Richards is one of those guys that looks to shoot often, do the arguement could be made that he is not a great fit for Carter.

Also if you look at postseason stats, Williams and Brown actually led our team in SOG. Williams in very similar playing time actually got a few more SOG then Carter. So either this means Williams looks to shoot more then Carter (not my opinion) or that Kopis is so good at setting players up that even a guy like Williams gets more good shooting looks then Carter (my opinion).

Would it not stand to reason that we should put our best shooter in position to get the most and best shots?

I also see Richards as more of a homerun hitter and think that with Parises great talent around the net that they would be a very good fit together. Richards creates havoc and it would make sense to have a gritty goal scorer in front of the net for rebounds and the cross-creases that Richards creates.
Agree on Carter, he surprised me with his passing this season, or maybe I was so used to seeing him shoot so much in Philly I hadn't noticed how good his passing was. I would like to see him with Kopi and Brown just for fun, that's what's so great with the amount of depth there is in the lineup.

In Philly in the last season before the trades, we had 3 lines that were all close to being #1. Briere, Giroux, Richie down the middle with the only drop off being on Richie's wings. Carter was with Giroux and either Zherdev or JVR and Briere had Hartnell and Leino.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

considering Parise isn't on the team......I think the answer is obvious...

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I don't think we get Parise now with our puny 8 mil when other team are possibly offering up to 12 mil up front. But if for some reason ZP's character is way underestimated and he signs with us, it will have to be that we offered him the 1st line job next to Kopitar. I can see Brown moving to the right wing (not much of a move for him) and JWill moving down.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I don't think we get Parise now with our puny 8 mil when other team are possibly offering up to 12 mil up front. But if for some reason ZP's character is way underestimated and he signs with us, it will have to be that we offered him the 1st line job next to Kopitar. I can see Brown moving to the right wing (not much of a move for him) and JWill moving down.
We are the ones labeling lines Sutter has said he doesn't and when you look at ice time for the playoffs the top two lines were within ~3 mins of each other.
And the up front money we could pay as long as we kept the AAV where it needs to be. But with the big bonus I don't see us being able to keep it where it needs to be, when even on a 9 year deal those would all be considered prime years for the most part taking him to 36. Even with what was rumored by Philly at 13 years 100+ that is a 7.7 at 100. And that would hurt us in the years to come.

But saying Brown goes to the RW that is big. He likes it on the left and started to play much better once he got there.

tsanuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Wooty

The lines seem ok to me. Improving the Power Play should throw this team into another galaxy. This takes better movement and choices - not really different players. One thing I noticed in the playoffs is players developing identities of what they do while on the ice. What they excel at and where they are not as strong.

For example, many of us have been wanting more aggressive in zone play from Kopitar (less standing on the side boards) when what he seems to really bring is aggressive play through the middle of the ice into the offensive zone. He is incredible on the rush. Certainly he has the talent to be dominant anywhere.

I think we could see that happen on the power play where he gets to move in a different way with a player that he can open up to - snipe maybe? - fire one timers? - bang in passes from the corner of the net?

Perhaps finding a way to have Kopitar make one of the lesser players explode should be the goal or even take Carter and make him a 50 goal scorer (or more with PP time)

Talent like Kopitar needs to not only be used he needs to be able to make other players better.

Does this make any sense??

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Perro

has anyword heard if the kings even offered anything to Parise?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Oh I read parse.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Nope, and you probably will never hear at this point.

Apparently 16 to 17 teams made an offer, with 20 making inquiries. Draw your own conclusions, mine is that I would say the Kings definitely made an offer.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Williams - Kopitar - Carter

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Rusty Batch

Brown-Kopi-Carter

Old
07-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Oh I read parse.
I don't see the Kings picking up either Parse or Hunter at this point. No offers made and I don't anticipate any will be.

I also think the reason why the Kings are holding off on King is because he's an RFA and maybe they want to see if he gets any offers for market value purposes. Or maybe King has asked for them to hold off...

Old
07-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Honestly guys, I'm glad we didn't get Parise. I'd rather add complimentary pieces later on.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote