HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Ha the Gomez saga! What to do? Once a really good player, winning Calder and 2 cups 32-33 year old player making boats load of money. Money aside, Gomez appears to be a great team guy...some one who wants to win. Just because everyone has written Gomez off, doesn't mean he is.
Solid answer from Bergevin in regards of Gomez...he part of the team was what he said.I have some hope here for some reason I can't explain.

just for fun, a line up with Gomez in and with these new UFAs.

Pacioretty-DD-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Gomez-Prust
Moen-White-Armstrong
Nokelainen
Solid lines

MarkovSubban-Gorges in the top 4
Emelin has the potential to be a top 4 but seeing button pair on some night is not gonna hurt him.
Diaz/Weber/StDenis/Kaberle/Bouillon

Personally, not matter what we think about how bad Gomez is, I say our D looks pretty slime after those top3-4 and it scares me more then Gomez coming to camp. Was the biggest issue last year in terms of roster and this year looks no different.

The question are
can Gomez have a role on any team,money aside, ours for example?
can MT find the button that make Gomez go?
On a defensive line, can Gomez be good?If so, how good?

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Gomez is his best with Pacioretty, but Pacioretty doesn't need Gomez. Gomez with everyone else=Skate through neutral zone, gain zone, and make stupid pass that gets intercepted. Repeat ad nauseum.

Yeah give him a chance, but he'll have to work his way back up.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Gomez will be here until his contract expires or the Habs have a good alternative solution . I suspect this 'last chance' thread will be multi-part and going in circles for a long time .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

How many chances can Gomez get if you guys all hate on Bourque unanimously?

Bourque is in his prime, scores boatload of goals and has a marginal caphit for a 2nd liner. He played like **** last year but he deserves a legit chance over SCOTT "2 goals" GOMEZ.

And I'm still willing to give Gomez a chance under Therrien; coaching and motivation is much more important than people understand. These players are all roughly equal in talent (in general), it's the little mental things that make a world of difference.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
How many chances can Gomez get if you guys all hate on Bourque unanimously?

Bourque is in his prime, scores boatload of goals and has a marginal caphit for a 2nd liner. He played like **** last year but he deserves a legit chance over SCOTT "2 goals" GOMEZ.

And I'm still willing to give Gomez a chance under Therrien; coaching and motivation is much more important than people understand. These players are all roughly equal in talent (in general), it's the little mental things that make a world of difference.
Seeing as how Gomez isn't stopping the Habs from making any big signings or anything and they can sign their remaining RFA's and keep him in the line up there's naught to be done but go into training camp and let the 9 best forwards get the top 9 forward slots.

It's up to Therrien to decide who is in that top 9, and where they will go in the top 9.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Seeing as how Gomez isn't stopping the Habs from making any big signings or anything and they can sign their remaining RFA's and keep him in the line up there's naught to be done but go into training camp and let the 9 best forwards get the top 9 forward slots.

It's up to Therrien to decide who is in that top 9, and where they will go in the top 9.
I don't disagree but we have 8m in space + 7m in Gomez, after signing Subban would we really leave ~ 10m in space? If Gomez weren't here we would've made big moves imo

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
I don't disagree but we have 8m in space + 7m in Gomez, after signing Subban would we really leave ~ 10m in space? If Gomez weren't here we would've made big moves imo
There were two big UFAs this year worth going after. Both of them signed in Minnesota for 13 years.

So... yeah.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
durojean

I'd do it if we have to trade one of Plekanec or Eller...

It's just an example... Suppose we acquire... Yandle for Plekanec Diaz two of our 3 seconds and just for the hell of it palushag...

Then...

I'd use Gomez...

Cole Plekanec Pacioretty
Bourque Gomez Gionta...
Moen Eller White
Armstrong Nokelainen Prust

And even then we could still try that...

Cole Desharnais Pacioretty
Bourque Eller Gionta
Prust Armstrong Moen
White Nokelainen someone

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
If there were big moves to be made the Habs could have just buried Gomez. Like they can still do as well, and will be able to do at any point in the next 2 years should they choose.

I seriously don't buy that Gomez hindered them from signing anyone.

Even if Molson was more about money than about presenting the best team....having Gomez in the line up at that cap hit is a colossal negative for any team. I still think he'd realize that the best chance at better profits is longer playoff runs and obviously using that 7.3 in cap space elsewhere would improve the team to that end.

But what are they going to do? To bring in any big impact player they'd have to deal one of Price, Subban, Pacioretty or Galchenyuk (or at the time just the 3rd overall) and the free agent market is pretty bare.

I would love to see Semin, but that's obviously not in the cards.

The Habs have lots of assets who are anywhere from 9 months-2 years away from possibly getting a lot, lot better.

Some cases, like Eller and Emelin they are already in the NHL and a little older. Some guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi may just be an impressive half season in the AHL away from being called up. I'd be shocked if 1 of them wasn't in the starting 6 in 2013/2014 and I wouldn't be surprised if 1 of them got some extended time late in this season. Though that would probably mean it's not that great a season.

Gomez needs to just go out there and play, which he can never do in Montreal, and not at that price.

I wish they would have re-entry waived him and taken the 3.75 cap hit for 2 seasons and sign Whitney to a 2 year 10 million deal. But it looks like the team had no interest in old top 6 guys. OR at least not enough interest in monetary value to get them to sign here.

I actually kinda like the Habs potential top 9 next year and depending on how he does in training camp it either does or doesn't include Gomez.

Eller apparently played wing for Denmark at the recent WC's. Can anyone confirm this?

He's arguably the best Danish player in the NHL yet he was on the wing there?

I dunno, I hate to move a young guy either but a young guy with some breakout potential (who got 16 goals last year) on the wing for a year or two isn't the worst thing in the world.

Gomez and Gionta have played well together

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Bourque-Desharnais-Eller
Moen-Gomez-Gionta
Prust-Noeky-White/Armstrong

See it seems odd then unless White is playing center and Noeks is 13.

Bourque has scored lots in his career and Eller scored 16 last year. Both are big guys with some explosive speed, and can hit.

Give the teams 2 best wingers to the teams best center...because it's the smart thing to do. And then in 2 years time IF Galchenyuk decides it's time to be an NHL beauty you move Plekx to the Moen/Gionta line and Gomez is either waived or traded to a team.

Next season just comes down to Markov anyways in my opinion...if he can play, and play at a 5.75 salary d-man calibre level than this team is a legitimate cup contender. Along with 20 or so other teams, but still.

Even if he can play and be somewhat overpaid, play at a 4.5-4.75 level of his capabilities this team is one that will, health provided, safely make the playoffs and fight for division.

Team is getting very underrated by people lately.

Gionta had back to back 29 goal seasons and this year got 8 and had a huge half season injury, this team has 4 legitimate 25+ candidates, next season. As well as another guy I am almost certain will get 20, and another guy who is a lock for 20+ aside from those 4, and who may get 25+ himself. They also have some pretty good options for the 3rd and 4th lines, and a pretty good puck moving defence crew.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
FlyingRat

Gomez is a much better player than Nokelainen, so I don't see why he couldn't play on the 4th line.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I don't even get this thread. What else are the Habs going to do? Other than pray for an amnesty clause situation?

Old
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I voted ''no'' but I'm afraid he's still going to be around at training camp. If he wants a chance, he will need to prove he deserves it.

I think its between him, Leblanc and Gallagher for the last spot unless we sign Doan, Semin or trade for a legit top6.

All I hope for is that he's not kept to be a center unless its the fourth line. Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller are all miles ahead of him as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat
Gomez is a much better player than Nokelainen, so I don't see why he couldn't play on the 4th line.
At least Nokelainen is 6'2'' and fights once in a while. He's also a ''better'' goal scorer (Gomez )

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate
I don't even get this thread. What else are the Habs going to do? Other than pray for an amnesty clause situation?
1 : Gomez is put on waiver
2 : nobody claims him, obviously
3 : Offer Gomez on loan to a non-NHL team of his choice
4 : ???
5 : Profit

Thats what the Blackhawks did to Cristobal Huet in order to evade his monstrous cap hit. Gomez's cap hit is much higher than his salary in the next two years so it wouldn't be that expensive for the Habs (ie 10m till he's UFA but we save 14.6m in cap space over 2 years)

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-05-2012 at 04:39 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
zzoo

Let's say that Gomez makes $2M/year, do you want to have him ? Just forget about his salary.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Let's say that Gomez makes $2M/year, do you want to have him ? Just forget about his salary.
Honestly? No, no I wouldn't want him on my team.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
As a center? No. I don't see his game really bringing anything on the 4th line, and that's where he'd be in our center depth chart.

As a winger? Who knows. Haven't seen there enough to say one way or the other.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

If we don't make an upgrade to our forwards before the season starts, then I say were a better team with Gomez on it, then not on it IMO.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If that was the case I would trade him, he is the 4th best center on the team and a poor fit for the 4th line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The reality is that we don't coach this team. So we might be tired of him, but there's a new coach out there who "might" want to see what he can do under his wing. So as far as Therrien is concerned, it's Gomez FIRST chance....not last. Surely, his leash will be much much shorter. But I believe he will have his chance. Same with Bourque. We, as a fanbase, will need to be patient.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Bob Mand ‏@HockeyMand

Scott Gomez's $51 mil contract ($7.36m AAV), inked in '07 would be worth almost $72m (over $10.25 million AAV) in today's cap setting #NHL

.... ouch

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
j52

Go Mez Go. Please go.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
4th line is for character guys and Gomez dosen't fit that bill. He was awful on the 4th line last year. He was equally bad on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so don't read too much into that

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If that was the case I would trade him, he is the 4th best center on the team and a poor fit for the 4th line.
A 7.3 million cap hit for a 4th line player is ridiculous . But if
we went that way he might be a great fit on the fourth line. He can
win face-offs at least well enough for the fourth line. His ability to
skate the puck through the center and into their end could be very
useful. That it doesn't result in many points is not that bad on the
4th line.

h

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:37 PM
EveryDay

No way!! get the ******* out!

Noke>Gomez

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
No way!! get the ******* out!

Noke>Gomez
Perhaps, but not at hockey.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
As a center? No. I don't see his game really bringing anything on the 4th line, and that's where he'd be in our center depth chart.

As a winger? Who knows. Haven't seen there enough to say one way or the other.
I'd prefer to see Gomez playing the PK than Pleks. 'Cause then Pleks would concentrate on being offensive. While Gomez could just become a good defensive player. As far as I'm concerned, no salary taken into consideration, I'd have a Gomez play the PK, use his speed to play that and to make other team scared that he has the speed to overtake you on the PK and get breakaways (though what he'd do with a puck in front of a goalie that remains to be seen...).

Again, that's with no salary taken into consideration. Which will be in 3 years from now. Which we know we won't see that day.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote